Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

If they were against 02 they wouldn't have made Ken an ambiguous super important figure and have Imperialdramon be the follow-up to loving Alphamon.

Counterpoint: Ken is evil again and they introduced two new megas to the 01 team cause Imperialdramon isn't worthy of fighting Wargreymon or MetalGarurumon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

anime tie-in movies in general have a problem with "this happens for no/little defined reason" in general. That's something to keep in mind.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

TFRazorsaw posted:

Or just watch "Our War Game" and "Digimon Adventure" on their own.

This but in addition to the Digimon Movie. Like how you should watch the original and the dub of Panty and Stocking, except the Digimon Movie sadly doesn't contain the phrase "No YOU crawl up my vagina!" (It's been a while though so I could be wrong.)

For anyone who's seen the original Hurricane Touchdown as well as the dub version, is it true that the original is even worse?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Burkion posted:

Here's how you make the Digimon movie great.

You watch up to Omnimon killing Diaboramon and then you hard cut to the credits.

gently caress the last half of that movie.

If I had the editing chops I'd make an edit that throws out the Hurricane Touchdown portion of the movie and replace it with the dub for Movie 4 instead

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They're bad for different reasons. The dub version is intrusively and dumbly chopped up while the Japanese one is poorly paced and focused more on showing cool scenery than anything else.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Hurricane touchdown isn't good dubbed or subbed. But digimon the movie dub is forever.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

TFRazorsaw posted:

anime tie-in movies in general have a problem with "this happens for no/little defined reason" in general. That's something to keep in mind.

Like how the first Tamers movie starts with Omnimon vs Apocalymon(who then turns into Mephistomon for no reason)with no explanation whatsoever

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Rhonne posted:

Like how the first Tamers movie starts with Omnimon vs Apocalymon(who then turns into Mephistomon for no reason)with no explanation whatsoever

Don't forget WarGrowlmon, Rapidmon, and Taomon suddenly spontaneously making a super-powerful Trinity Force attack where they inexplicably combine into a giant, glowing energy bird and kill the bad guy who'd been squashing them a second ago in one shot. Said Mega-killing attack would never be mentioned ever again.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Geostomp posted:

Don't forget WarGrowlmon, Rapidmon, and Taomon suddenly spontaneously making a super-powerful Trinity Force attack where they inexplicably combine into a giant, glowing energy bird and kill the bad guy who'd been squashing them a second ago in one shot. Said Mega-killing attack would never be mentioned ever again.

Which is all the weirder since it's apparently canon to Tamers

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Hurricane touchdown isn't good dubbed or subbed. But digimon the movie dub is forever.

There is not a single thing wrong with the first half of Digimon the Movie.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Which is all the weirder since it's apparently canon to Tamers

I think all of the Digimon movies are canon?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Movies based on anime tv shows tend to do things that make no sense in the rules of the TV program to look cool, and then never acknowledge them on TV because some viewers didn't go to the movie.

TV Show
Protagonist: "There are nine levels of fighting, but I almost never go higher than six or seven unless fighting a top villain."

Movie
Protagonist: "I will start at level eight, as the power of the box office compels me!"

Villain: "Mwahaha I shrug off your level eight attack that kills off almost everyone on TV! His is because I am a movie villain and thus am unusually powerful!"

Protagonist: "I'll go to level nine, then, which has never been defeated on television!"

Villain: [pretends to be dead for a moment] "Nah. Just kidding."

Protagonist: "What is this power? Level ten?!!?"

Villain: "UUUAAAAAGH"

Protagonist: "I will bury this power in a place where it will never be found in a television episode. We must forget this ever happened."

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Rhonne posted:

Hurricane Touchdown isn't for 02, and both Frontier and Savers movies are awkward to fit into their respective series

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rhonne posted:

No. Hurricane Touchdown, Runaway Locomon, and Activate Burst Mode are specifically non-canon as they contradict events of the series they're a part of (with Runaway Locomon contradicting the canonical CD drama ending...while being a better ending itself, gently caress the canon ending). The second 02 movie as well as the Frontier movie are of dubious canon as they're not referenced anywhere, though they also don't contradict anything (I think, I've forgotten the Frontier movie nearly entirely).

Digimon Adventure, Our War Game and the first Tamers movie are all canon, and referenced in their series proper (with Our War Game being referenced in 02, of course).

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Is Revenge of Diaboromon canon? It's a direct sequel to Our War game after all.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Craptacular! posted:

Movies based on anime tv shows tend to do things that make no sense in the rules of the TV program to look cool, and then never acknowledge them on TV because some viewers didn't go to the movie.

TV Show
Protagonist: "There are nine levels of fighting, but I almost never go higher than six or seven unless fighting a top villain."

Movie
Protagonist: "I will start at level eight, as the power of the box office compels me!"

Villain: "Mwahaha I shrug off your level eight attack that kills off almost everyone on TV! His is because I am a movie villain and thus am unusually powerful!"

Protagonist: "I'll go to level nine, then, which has never been defeated on television!"

Villain: [pretends to be dead for a moment] "Nah. Just kidding."

Protagonist: "What is this power? Level ten?!!?"

Villain: "UUUAAAAAGH"

Protagonist: "I will bury this power in a place where it will never be found in a television episode. We must forget this ever happened."

Or, if you're on the tokusatsu side of things, the new stuff from the movie turns up again for another episode around the time the DVD comes out.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

jivjov posted:

Or, if you're on the tokusatsu side of things, the new stuff from the movie turns up again for another episode around the time the DVD comes out.

Toku tends to be better about this sort of thing these days, you still have some continuity gaps, but stuff introduced in them tends to show up later on, sometimes quite consistently like with the power ups from the Fourze movies for example

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

drrockso20 posted:

Toku tends to be better about this sort of thing these days, you still have some continuity gaps, but stuff introduced in them tends to show up later on, sometimes quite consistently like with the power ups from the Fourze movies for example

It goes both ways. You also have Drive, whose movie is undeniably canon (it is set up inside the series proper, and the epilogue confirms the future it shows), but Drive Type Special never reappears in spite of being the strongest thing in Shinnosuke's arsenal, and neither does the NEXTridoron.

Rhonne posted:

It's hard to say. It happens after 02 so it can't contradict anything, but at the same time it's never referenced. However, the climax of the movie has a lot of people sending the Kuramons back into the Digital World, so it'd come across as really weird if that happened with Tri...but who knows.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Rhonne posted:

I think that movie is in the "Why not?" category. Paladin Mode is canon enough now.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Rudoku posted:

I think that movie is in the "Why not?" category. Paladin Mode is canon enough now.

Isn't Paladin Mode a Royal Knight? I have to imagine that makes for some awkward moments around the Royal Break Room between him and Omnimon.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Geostomp posted:

Isn't Paladin Mode a Royal Knight? I have to imagine that makes for some awkward moments around the Royal Break Room between him and Omnimon.

No, he supposedly founded the group. Which makes even less sense.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Paladin Mode supposedly founded the Royal Knights in the Bandai canon.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
What's the definitive best Digimon game?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Geostomp posted:

Nah. His cousins Ulforce Veedramon and Magnamon are. He did found the group, so he may have quit like Gankoomon tries to do.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Covok posted:

Digital Card Battle, PS1. Amazing game, far better than the real-life card game (which is trash) and without a doubt better than the grindy messes that are other Digimon games.

Rumble Arena (PS1 as well) is a pretty decent fighting game too.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Covok posted:

Cyber Sleuth.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Covok posted:

Cyber Sleuth? it's the only one I've played that I can say is really good without any qualifier.

Rudoku posted:

Nah. His cousins Ulforce Veedramon and Magnamon are. He did found the group, so he may have quit like Gankoomon tries to do.

So is Omnimon his sword come to life or just completely unrelated to the guy who uses him as a power-up?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhonne posted:

It's basically as "canon" as the non-Toriyama sanctioned DBZ movies are to that series. Same with the other Digimon movies. They're just "things that happened starring the cast of 02/Tamers/Frontier/Savers/etc", just as the non-Battle of the Gods/Resurrection-F DBZ films are "things that happened starring the cast of Dragon Ball Z".

The only movies that are canon are the ones overtly referenced within the series as having happened, namely the Digimon Adventure film and Our War Game.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

nine-gear crow posted:

It's basically as "canon" as the non-Toriyama sanctioned DBZ movies are to that series. Same with the other Digimon movies. They're just "things that happened starring the cast of 02/Tamers/Frontier/Savers/etc", just as the non-Battle of the Gods/Resurrection-F DBZ films are "things that happened starring the cast of Dragon Ball Z".

The only movies that are canon are the ones overtly referenced within the series as having happened, namely the Digimon Adventure film and Our War Game.

The main difference between your examples there is that Revenge of Diaboromon does not contradict anything that happens in 02, as it happens after it is over, much unlike the DBZ movies (excluding Battle of Gods and Resurrection "F", obviously), none of which fit into the canon at all.

Also the first Tamers movie, The Adventurers' Battle is also referenced in-series with the appearance of Takato's cousin, Kai. No other movie apart from the two Adventure ones shares this distinction.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

The main difference between your examples there is that Revenge of Diaboromon does not contradict anything that happens in 02, as it happens after it is over, much unlike the DBZ movies (excluding Battle of Gods and Resurrection "F", obviously), none of which fit into the canon at all.

Also the first Tamers movie, The Adventurers' Battle is also referenced in-series with the appearance of Takato's cousin, Kai. No other movie apart from the two Adventure ones shares this distinction.

The Adventurers' Battle is a tricky one to place, because it's functional a DBZ style "yeah, there's no way this movie could have happened in the timeline of the TV show", yet Kai explicitly gets a cameo and knows about Guilmon and everything that's been going on with Takato, soooooo :shrug:

I think it's kind of the same situation with Ryo supposedly being the Adventure-verse's Ryo. It's literally a "just don't think about it for the sake of your sanity" type situation.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

The Adventurers' Battle is a tricky one to place, because it's functional a DBZ style "yeah, there's no way this movie could have happened in the timeline of the TV show", yet Kai explicitly gets a cameo and knows about Guilmon and everything that's been going on with Takato, soooooo :shrug:

I think it's kind of the same situation with Ryo supposedly being the Adventure-verse's Ryo. It's literally a "just don't think about it for the sake of your sanity" type situation.

I think they could barely squeeze that one in right before the pig Deva comes assuming that there was more of lull in Deva bioemerging than it seemed, but even that is pushing it.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Of course, it being canon brings up the question of who the hell that Omnimon was supposed to be and how does he fit into the Tamers world.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Not to mention where the gently caress an Apocalymon comes from in that universe.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Burkion posted:

Not to mention where the gently caress an Apocalymon comes from in that universe.

Also, if I remember right, the first time you see Apocalymon, he's floating in space! :psyduck:

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Hiro's looking good

I'm so hopeful they release Digimon World on PSN alongside this new game. Even if it's a completely broken mess of a game, it was my broken mess of a game.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

that Omegamon and Apocalymon specifically hang out in the space between worlds in the Tamers universe.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
At the very least, it's sort of implied that that wasn't a REAL Apocalymon, and just the weird disguise of Mephistomon. I think.

One thing I'm extremely glad about is that, unlike a lot of other evil Digimon, Apocalymon was never reduced to an utter joke in later anime adaptations. I'm looking at you MaloMyotismon.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Digimon World: ReDigitize any good? Any chances an english speaker will be able to play all of Digimon Adventure Anniversary on PSP?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Covok posted:

Digimon World: ReDigitize any good? Any chances an english speaker will be able to play all of Digimon Adventure Anniversary on PSP?

It's a Digimon World game so probably not.

There's an english fanpatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

IIRC, the english fan patch only goes up to the fight with VenomMyotismon.