Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

euphronius posted:

That's not what happened.

I'll bite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Scalias last words :smith:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

If it's ever revealed that he was loving those other guys in the hunting club, that's the sort of thing that would really turn my whole outlook on life right around.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

mdemone posted:

If it's ever revealed that he was loving those other guys in the hunting club, that's the sort of thing that would really turn my whole outlook on life right around.

It was Valentine's Day weekend.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

In the words of Trent Reznor, I want so much to believe.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Garland gets the job, Hillary wins, Dems retake the Senate, Garland retires and Sri steps up.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

euphronius posted:

That's not what happened.

Oh, were you there?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I, Garland, will judge you all now!!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Oh, were you there?

He was the fluffer.

Apparently Scalia was looking a little green under the gills early in the evening and took to his room while the rest of the "hunting" group scampered around the pool like corpulent old nymphs, snapping each other with towels and stealing tugs at each others' dangly bits.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Oh, were you there?

My DNA is all over that pillow case

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

euphronius posted:

It was Valentine's Day weekend.

“I did not pay for the Justice’s trip to Cibolo Creek Ranch,” Poindexter wrote in a brief email Tuesday. “He was an invited guest, along with a friend, just like 35 others.”

Poindexter added: “The Justice was treated no differently by me, as no one was charged for activities, room and board, beverages, etc. That is a 22-year policy.’’

http://gawker.com/scalias-hunting-trip-was-a-gift-from-a-friend-who-h-1759637837

I'm going with Scalia was closet gay.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

FCKGW posted:

Garland gets the job, Hillary wins, Dems retake the Senate, Garland retires and Sri steps up.

A) why would this happen?
B) why would you want Sri?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I had dinner this evening with a gentleman who clerked under Garland on the DC Circuit. When asked to give the scoop on his legal temperament, he literally did the robot. My kinda judge.

Garland still isn't getting appointed, though.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Discendo Vox posted:

I had dinner this evening with a gentleman who clerked under Garland on the DC Circuit. When asked to give the scoop on his legal temperament, he literally did the robot. My kinda judge.

do clerks really get that much inside scoop compared to their public rulings? we can check out his lengthy record and i dont think anyone is under the delusions that garland is a "full communism sleeper cell waiting until the ripe age of late 60 whatever". theres also an endless horde of people from harvard and everywhere else with reports that mirror most of his judicial record

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gohmak posted:

“I did not pay for the Justice’s trip to Cibolo Creek Ranch,” Poindexter wrote in a brief email Tuesday. “He was an invited guest, along with a friend, just like 35 others.”

Poindexter added: “The Justice was treated no differently by me, as no one was charged for activities, room and board, beverages, etc. That is a 22-year policy.’’

“I didn’t pay for it, but he also didn’t pay for it. Nor did a third party pay for him.

“I did pay for the staff, food, supplies, utilities, property tax, et cetera, but that’s immaterial.”

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

joeburz posted:

do clerks really get that much inside scoop compared to their public rulings? we can check out his lengthy record and i dont think anyone is under the delusions that garland is a "full communism sleeper cell waiting until the ripe age of late 60 whatever". theres also an endless horde of people from harvard and everywhere else with reports that mirror most of his judicial record

Given that his clerks are writing a substantial port of his work I would imagine they get to see exactly what he wants as he chops and sends back revisions to them.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Mr. Nice! posted:

Given that his clerks are writing a substantial port of his work I would imagine they get to see exactly what he wants as he chops and sends back revisions to them.

yes but how different is that from reading what he allows as output? seems marginally different after any sort of lengthy term

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Platystemon posted:

“I didn’t pay for it, but he also didn’t pay for it. Nor did a third party pay for him.

“I did pay for the staff, food, supplies, utilities, property tax, et cetera, but that’s immaterial.”

It's a quibble about the transportation I think. And that all the guests there were there as gratis folks.

But really, who was his guest on Valentine's weekend?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yeah tbh if you invited some friends over for food and drinks you wouldn't say you "paid for their trip".

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

joeburz posted:

yes but how different is that from reading what he allows as output? seems marginally different after any sort of lengthy term

We're only seeing what gets published. We don't see the extent of his edits and other stuff that gets written. There's a lot behind the scenes that we'll never see.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Discendo Vox posted:

I would prefer a judge that weighs how a decision will affect people in the squishy world that is real life instead of going "beep-boop initiating law application subroutine"

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah I don't understand this jargon.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

gohmak posted:

Yeah I don't understand this jargon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_(dance)

I think maybe...

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

yep. At the table of the fancy University alumni restaurant.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah tbh if you invited some friends over for food and drinks you wouldn't say you "paid for their trip".

In my opinion, you cross that line when you have paid staff waiting on them.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Platystemon posted:

In my opinion, you cross that line when you have paid staff waiting on them.

Or when you're hosting them at a commercial resort.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

mdemone posted:

If he died jerking off I hope it was before he finished.

This comment deserves more love

Sad Banana
Sep 7, 2011
If Hillary wins and then the GOP starts hearings, there's no way Garland is going to voluntarily withdraw his nomination right as he's on the verge of reaching the pinnacle of his profession and becoming one of the most powerful people in the country. I also don't think Obama or Hillary would do that to him, the guy is by all accounts very well liked in DC.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Sad Banana posted:

If Hillary wins and then the GOP starts hearings, there's no way Garland is going to voluntarily withdraw his nomination right as he's on the verge of reaching the pinnacle of his profession and becoming one of the most powerful people in the country. I also don't think Obama or Hillary would do that to him, the guy is by all accounts very well liked in DC.

Well, Hillary is a centrist, so...

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Scalia probably just died from his sleep apnea.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Mister Adequate posted:

I, Garland, will judge you all now!!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought about that.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Sad Banana posted:

This, also why would Garner prefer someone more liberal than himself on the court, like what is the thought process here? He disagrees with his own judicial philosophy and thinks he's wrong on criminal justice, so he withdraws in favor of someone who will rule the way he wishes he could but is powerless to do?

I mean presumably Garner thinks he is correct and wouldn't want D&D's ideal justice on the court.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

I mean presumably Garner thinks he is correct and wouldn't want D&D's ideal justice on the court.

This is assuming he doesn't value the range of opinions that come from a nine-person court by design, isn't it? I mean, yeah presumably he agrees with his own stated judicial philosophy but that doesn't mean his ideal scenario is a court full of his clones.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Discendo Vox posted:

Scalia probably just died from his sleep apnea.

Sadly he was just simply a really old overweight italian. Dying in his sleep is like the best way he had to go.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
It seems to me the question is not "does he withdraw in the lame duck period" it's "does he withdraw months earlier when it becomes apparent the GOP isn't budging."

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Can McConnell be impeached over this?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

moths posted:

Can McConnell be impeached over this?

The Senate can vote to expel a member

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

HappyHippo posted:

It seems to me the question is not "does he withdraw in the lame duck period" it's "does he withdraw months earlier when it becomes apparent the GOP isn't budging."

I suspect that Obama got a commitment from Garland to stay in the game through the election, so that he can be used as a cudgel.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Subjunctive posted:

I suspect that Obama got a commitment from Garland to stay in the game through the election, so that he can be used as a cudgel.

I bet he lets Garland stay if Clinton wins. RBG or someone probably retires in Clinton's term anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It's also possible that Obama consulted with Clinton about who to nominate (knowing that the Republicans were likely to stonewall him for the rest of his term) and Garland may be someone she's okay with having on the Court as well.