Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean puppeteering aside, the sculpt is just off. In de-ageing him they completely lost the likeness. It just straight-up looks like a different character. They 100% lost the

-ness of the facial structure. There's just no softness, kindness, or playfulness in the face anymore and that's a huge part of what made Yoda Yoda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

I mean puppeteering aside, the sculpt is just off. In de-ageing him they completely lost the likeness. It just straight-up looks like a different character. They 100% lost the

-ness of the facial structure. There's just no softness, kindness, or playfulness in the face anymore and that's a huge part of what made Yoda Yoda.

How many times does Yoda laugh or joke with people in the prequels? I can't think of any. Considering all evidence, from inside the trilogies & The Clone Wars and from their creators, the fall of the Republic was a life-changing experience for Yoda. Anakin was different and Obi-Wan was different. Why did you expect Yoda to be the same?

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Which sucks, because a silly looking frog puppet should joke around to detract a bit from the ridiculousness of it. I'm all for character development or whatever, and this is especially key in making a prequel movie that isn't redundant, but I simply don't like depressed Yoda. I think there were better ways of doing it. Maybe if he was a bit more of a prankster or more jovial before, so the cautiousness and pain we see in Empire is justified later on against what we expect of Yoda (if we watch sequentially).

Making him into some kind of forced badass was a mistake. I was under the impression, before the prequels, that a Jedi Master was an entirely different class than Jedi Knight - more of the scholarly type, in tune with the spiritual side of Force heavily. Sure he might use a lightsaber sometimes, but more for knowledge and less for defense - after all, Yoda seems like the type of guy that would rather be hanging out in the library than sitting around idle in a council room spouting off quotes you'd find on pillows at Walmart. Standardizing the Jedi into Padawan -> Knight -> Master takes away some of the mystery and diversity an ancient order like that should have.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

korusan posted:

Making him into some kind of forced badass was a mistake. I was under the impression, before the prequels, that a Jedi Master was an entirely different class than Jedi Knight - more of the scholarly type, in tune with the spiritual side of Force heavily. Sure he might use a lightsaber sometimes, but more for knowledge and less for defense - after all, Yoda seems like the type of guy that would rather be hanging out in the library than sitting around idle in a council room spouting off quotes you'd find on pillows at Walmart. Standardizing the Jedi into Padawan -> Knight -> Master takes away some of the mystery and diversity an ancient order like that should have.

Hmm yes, you could almost say the Jedi Order as portrayed in the PT were not fulfilling their own values.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

homullus posted:

How many times does Yoda laugh or joke with people in the prequels? I can't think of any. Considering all evidence, from inside the trilogies & The Clone Wars and from their creators, the fall of the Republic was a life-changing experience for Yoda. Anakin was different and Obi-Wan was different. Why did you expect Yoda to be the same?

Well it's not about laughing or joking. Again, that's the puppeteering. It's the actual sculpt of the physical puppet that has been changed. The way his eyes, cheeks, jawline, and mouth are shaped make them much sharper, less soft and inviting. It was an attempt to de-age him, but it just changed his overall look to the detriment of the liveliness of the character. Besides, I'm not sure why a 900 year old has to look significantly older than a 860 year old. It does achieve its intended effect however, to create a much more stern appearance - but at the sacrifice of likeness to the ESB/ROTJ puppet.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Well it's not about laughing or joking. Again, that's the puppeteering. It's the actual sculpt of the physical puppet that has been changed. The way his eyes, cheeks, jawline, and mouth are shaped make them much sharper, less soft and inviting. It was an attempt to de-age him, but it just changed his overall look to the detriment of the liveliness of the character. Besides, I'm not sure why a 900 year old has to look significantly older than a 860 year old. It does achieve its intended effect however, to create a much more stern appearance - but at the sacrifice of likeness to the ESB/ROTJ puppet.

It's almost as if PT Yoda is not as soft and inviting as a character.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

homullus posted:

He's a piece of poo poo in the prequels, so it makes sense he looks like one too.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
They should have had that deformed pink eyepatch yoda be yoda.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

homullus posted:

Yoda jokes around and makes fun of Kenobi when he's training the younglings.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

feedmyleg posted:

I agree.

Pops Mgee posted:

Yoda jokes around and makes fun of Kenobi when he's training the younglings.

Also, when they replaced the puppet in TPM with CGI they added a lot of subtle touches showing that Yoda is having a little bit of fun messing with everyone. Yoda's constantly got his troll face on:

I mean, literally, it's a troll face. Look at him. He's a little troll.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cnut the Great posted:

I don't think it was the puppet. The TPM puppet probably really was better than the original.

What people forget is that a large part of what made Yoda work in ESB is that it often took hours and hours just to get a few minutes of Yoda footage that didn't look totally fake. And this was in dim lighting conditions with only one human actor to take into account. It was by all accounts incredibly draining work, and it resulted in several additional scenes of Yoda training Luke not being finished, because they simply ran out of time.

With TPM, you had Yoda in a lot of relatively brightly lit environments with a bunch of human actors, all in the same shot at the same time. And I don't think anyone was exactly eager to repeat the soul-draining experience of ESB. I think Lucas thought he could still make it work, since the new puppet was technically much more realistic-looking than the old one. There are some shots and angles where he looks pretty good, I think:

But it's pretty much impossible to keep up that level of consistent quality unless you're willing to basically subordinate everything else in the movie to the Yoda puppet's exhausting demands. You ever wonder why the Yoda puppet doesn't look as good in ROTJ as it did in ESB?

It's basically the same reason. No one--not the crew, not the actors, not the director--wanted to deal with that poo poo. Because it was unreasonable. The sad truth is, you just can't make a rubber hand-puppet look 100% like a real, living, breathing creature unless you're willing to risk bankrupting your movie while working your crew and actors to the point of insanity. You think actors hate acting in front of greenscreen? Ask them how much they like doing dozens and dozens of repetitive and time-consuming takes talking to a completely silent puppet mouthing unintelligible words at them. Ask Mark Hamill how much he liked it.

You could've just said 'couldn't be hosed'.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Steve2911 posted:

You could've just said 'couldn't be hosed'.

Well, that would be a massive oversimplification. It would be like saying Kershner just "couldn't be hosed" to finish those additional Yoda scenes on Dagobah. Lucas is the reason we had any Yoda in ESB at all, because unlike Gary Kurtz, he was able to get Kershner to a point where he could complete most of the scenes in a timely manner.

Actually being able to complete all the scenes you need is, believe it or not, a pretty important part of making a movie.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

As an aside, I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been a special edition CGI Yoda for the OT.

:getin:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

As an aside, I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been a special edition CGI Yoda for the OT.

:getin:

That was never going to happen. On the DVD commentaries, Lucas actually singles out the OT Yoda puppet for being one of the few technical aspects that worked out even better than he'd hoped. He actually tried to get Frank Oz an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor back when TESB first came out:

The Making of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back posted:

“We tried to get Frank Oz a nomination,” Lucas says. “But the Screen Actors Guild said that puppeteers aren’t actors, which I thought was outrageous. A lot of acting started out as puppets, a few thousand years ago—long before the Screen Actors Guild. It was a brilliant performance and it is acting.”

And that's a quote from Lucas ca. 2010. He doesn't hate puppets. But he also doesn't go out of his way to use them just to say that he did.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I don't really like the idea of Yoda having an arc in the prequels. I mean, the dude's a thousand years old, he's never seen a fascist try to take over the government before?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

porfiria posted:

I don't really like the idea of Yoda having an arc in the prequels. I mean, the dude's a thousand years old, he's never seen a fascist try to take over the government before?

As far as they knew, the Sith had been extinct for a thousand years before TPM. It was probably fairly calm, all things considered.

I mean hell, the Republic hadn't even had a standing army in God knows how long.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Cnut the Great posted:

That was never going to happen. On the DVD commentaries, Lucas actually singles out the OT Yoda puppet for being one of the few technical aspects that worked out even better than he'd hoped. He actually tried to get Frank Oz an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor back when TESB first came out:

And that's a quote from Lucas ca. 2010. He doesn't hate puppets. But he also doesn't go out of his way to use them just to say that he did.

That's really cool to hear. I always like learning new things. I've also always had the highest respect for Frank Oz and I'm glad I agree with Lucas.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

computer parts posted:

As far as they knew, the Sith had been extinct for a thousand years before TPM. It was probably fairly calm, all things considered.

I mean hell, the Republic hadn't even had a standing army in God knows how long.

I get it's a fantasy and all so it's probably best not to worry about the specifics, but "wizened old tiny creature man" reads as a character who's seen it all before, so it's weird when the character in fact has only seen it once like a couple years back. They could have at least given him a wicked toupee or something. You know, play up the idea that he's going through kind of a mid life crisis.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

They could have at least given him a wicked toupee or something. You know, play up the idea that he's going through kind of a mid life crisis.

I still say he should have been really buff.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

homullus posted:

He doesn't really look like Yoda at all is the thing. He looks like the same kind of alien, but the facial structure is way off, so he kinda looks like a different dude. Lucas probably wasn't happy with it, either. CG Yoda doesn't look exactly like OT Yoda, but it looks a lot closer.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

How about this from SW: Rebels?? :3:

Revealed last week with Frank Oz reprising his role (and making him sound proper and not backwards speak all the time).

Reason for Jedi downfall? Dark side was taking over the more violent they got - clouded everything. In the same episode it was shown that all the violence and fighting brings you over - Kanan had a duel with a Jedi Temple Guard. As the fight went on he picked up a new saber and it was red - signifying the turn to evil the more you go.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
"This puppet doesn't look like a puppet."

Vintersorg posted:

Reason for Jedi downfall? Dark side was taking over the more violent they got - clouded everything. In the same episode it was shown that all the violence and fighting brings you over - Kanan had a duel with a Jedi Temple Guard. As the fight went on he picked up a new saber and it was red - signifying the turn to evil the more you go.

I like the idea that lighsabers are just mood rings.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Having rewatched Episode 1 and also the RLM review of it I can't really rebut anything it says and christ that movie is ugly.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

Having rewatched Episode 1 and also the RLM review of it I can't really rebut anything it says and christ that movie is ugly.

Thank you for the update.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cnut the Great posted:

Someones bitter. :cheeky:

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Cnut the Great posted:

I would very much appreciate it if you would please make better posts in the future. Your posts are extremely low-effort and bad, and it upsets me, because I know you can do better.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Yaws posted:

I would very much appreciate it if you would please make better posts in the future. Your posts are extremely low-effort and bad, and it upsets me, because I know you can do better.

Look at the post I was responding to, you dunce.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
The Internet is currently getting all pissy that Miles Teller hadn't seen Star Wars until he auditioned for young Han Solo. Why do people insist that actors be fans of the franchises they're acting in?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Colonel Whitey posted:

The Internet is currently getting all pissy that Miles Teller hadn't seen Star Wars until he auditioned for young Han Solo. Why do people insist that actors be fans of the franchises they're acting in?

So they can grasp the depth of "rogue with a heart of gold".

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Colonel Whitey posted:

I would rather have someone who either didn't care about Star Wars or never saw it at all.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Colonel Whitey posted:

It's especially funny, because it's like, do you think Harrison Ford gave a gently caress for two seconds?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's especially funny, because it's like, do you think Harrison Ford gave a gently caress for two seconds?

About his role as Han Solo in A New Hope? He didn't even audition for it, he was originally apart of the crew helping with picking out auditions. George Lucas was so impressed with his help though that he offered the role of Han Solo to Ford. As far as actually playing as Han Solo, I think he took it very seriously. Ford is a really laid back guy, but he still takes his job seriously cause he is a professional. He is just really good at playing chill characters.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He took it seriously because that's his job as an actor. It's not his job to bone up on Dark Horse comics or whatever the gently caress.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Colonel Whitey posted:

Outside of fandom reasons, informing yourself on your character helps greatly when it comes to imitating mannerisms, quirks, confidence (or lack thereof), and general improvisation.

That isn't required to be a good movie, he could just play "constantly panting and tense action hero, this time he's a scumbag", but then that begs the question "why is this character Han Solo?". A good example I can think of is the opening sequence of Indie and the Last Crusade; River Phoenix does a good job selling his development as young Indie, and while he didn't need to know about Jones, doing so gave that extra bit of nuance to sell him as a younger Jones, and make it feel like actual human development, and not just one more piece of trivia for a wiki page.

I guess it's easier to assume there's no nuance to fan opinions, though. gently caress those fanboys. I bet they like the wrong movies.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cnut the Great posted:

You're welcome, I'm gonna go lie down now.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

I said come in! posted:

About his role as Han Solo in A New Hope? He didn't even audition for it, he was originally apart of the crew helping with picking out auditions. George Lucas was so impressed with his help though that he offered the role of Han Solo to Ford. As far as actually playing as Han Solo, I think he took it very seriously. Ford is a really laid back guy, but he still takes his job seriously cause he is a professional. He is just really good at playing chill characters.

Yeah, Ford is pretty casual, but you can certainly tell the difference between "this is a fun movie, I'm having a good time" Ford and "this is a paycheck, here's the synopsis of the movie Interview Man" Ford.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Neurolimal posted:

I guess it's easier to assume there's no nuance to fan opinions, though. gently caress those fanboys. I bet they like the wrong movies.

This, but unironically.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Neurolimal posted:

Yeah, Ford is pretty casual, but you can certainly tell the difference between "this is a fun movie, I'm having a good time" Ford and "this is a paycheck, here's the synopsis of the movie Interview Man" Ford.

This is very true, that is a good point. Case in point, Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls, Ford is the latter. The Force Awakens, Ford is the former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I understand not every one in the world has seen Star Wars. Yet, how the gently caress do you become a big Hollywood actor and not have seen Star Wars?

• Locked thread