Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

http://i.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/77825339/Teachers-union-protected-Robert-Burrett-claim

Alternate title: Union protected member from BoT who didn't want to follow due process and take a shortcut around employment law.
I actually think the big problem is having schools essentially run by local volunteers rather than people with experience and knowledge of things like employment law, management etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
E-voted in the referendum. Felt good I guess

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Varkk posted:

http://i.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/77825339/Teachers-union-protected-Robert-Burrett-claim

Alternate title: Union protected member from BoT who didn't want to follow due process and take a shortcut around employment law.
I actually think the big problem is having schools essentially run by local volunteers rather than people with experience and knowledge of things like employment law, management etc.

Yeah this is a good case of the very necessary safeguards against exploitation and mistreatment actually causing problems instead

I think the BOT system is great but I also think there should be a ministry or teachers council rep on each board, for this kind of thing, and also to prevent boards with personal agendas against specific teachers/principals etc. Could go a long way to mediating some of the petty board-staff fighting that goes on in some schools.

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006
Poor Mike, getting bullied online.

http://i.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/77938319/Seven-Sharp-hosts-Mike-Hosking-and-Toni-Street-confront-the-trolls?cid=app-android

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Goddamn it media, calling people names is not trolling.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
In my day, trolling refered to people taking the piss outta you. Like making you fall for a joke. Not name-calling or being a prat.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Some of the proposals for a change in school funding don't actually sound terrible. A National party education reform might finally have the support of the sector - I never thought I'd see the day.

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11606172&ref=mobile

TL;DR one proposal involves at least some funding to schools based on the number of students with one of four identified "risk factors": parents on benefit for a long time, jail or community service, abuse or neglect, and a mother with no qualifications.

I don't think that'd be perfect, or that it's sufficient on its own, but it'd be a good part of a more fine grained and needs-based funding system.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

If anyone's curious, it's absolutely not a coincidence that those are the exact four "risk factors" that Bill English identified last year as "social investment" targets to "save taxpayers money in the long-run", which he admitted would require a Privacy Act overhaul to enable government departments to 'link' their information to each other and outside agencies in order to identify these "most at risk" citizens (read: every department can now look up whether you were ever molested and how long your parents spent on welfare, implicitly how long you've spent on welfare, and if you're lucky then private companies can too) and are the first step in a wider initiative that I will let him describe in his own words.

"In the late ‘80s New Zealand was at the cutting edge of state sector reform. We can be again."

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

"In the late ‘80s New Zealand was at cutting the state sector. We can be again."

ftfy

no jokes people who reflect on the late 80s/early 90s as a golden age for NZ (i.e. all of the Nats, ACT and still several Labour people) are the biggest problem in NZ politics

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

fong posted:

Some of the proposals for a change in school funding don't actually sound terrible. A National party education reform might finally have the support of the sector - I never thought I'd see the day.

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11606172&ref=mobile

TL;DR one proposal involves at least some funding to schools based on the number of students with one of four identified "risk factors": parents on benefit for a long time, jail or community service, abuse or neglect, and a mother with no qualifications.

I don't think that'd be perfect, or that it's sufficient on its own, but it'd be a good part of a more fine grained and needs-based funding system.

It's a much-needed change, but I have absolutely no confidence in our minister's ability to implement such sweeping changes effectively.

Meanwhile, there's also a taskforce looking into teacher workload, and one of the PPTA people at my school said that they were actually finding that there are cases where it's actually worse than we'd imagined. The other focus area is on middle-management, as there simply aren't enough people who are willing to take on such a job (hint: the pay increase you get v. workload increase makes it something not worth doing).

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
This whole "jihadi bride" bullshit is paternalistic and sexist and seems a lot like concern trolling.

Its not the govts business to decide who you should marry or what political ideals you should hold.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I agree, I've been struggling to understand why anyone should care if some stupid idiot wants to move to a warzone under a regime known to mistreat women in order to become a jihadi gently caress-toy, well go have at it love, and good luck with that.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

kris_b posted:

I agree, I've been struggling to understand why anyone should care if some stupid idiot wants to move to a warzone under a regime known to mistreat women in order to become a jihadi gently caress-toy, well go have at it love, and good luck with that.

Because that is where your family is? I mean yeah literally marrying a terrorist would make you a stupid idiot, but these jihadi brides were moving to places where the wars might happen to probably marry someone who - being a young male - might perhaps be part of an armed force that could be related to larger organisations that might be terrorists....

Women are mistreated here in NZ as well, so its not quite as cut and dried as you are making out.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I'm pretty sure women aren't dragged out into the street by packs of armed militants and raped and killed on the reg here in NZ, but I haven't been to Auckland in a while so who knows what that lot is up to.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

I'm pretty sure women aren't dragged out into the street by packs of armed militants and raped and killed on the reg here in NZ, but I haven't been to Auckland in a while so who knows what that lot is up to.

Auckland is not yet a literal war zone so I'd say maybe its marginally better?

I've only ever been to Auckland once and we stayed one night in a backpackers next to the creepiest park in the central city that apparently people are regularly mugged and raped in.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

You mean Myers Park.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/17/new-zealands-cannabis-crisis-smokers-confirm-budding-shortage

Any truth to this?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Nobody i know has any. Even the guy who was growing it on a vacant lot has run out.

loving love the "punching above its weight" in the article.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Can confirm.

What I love though is the description of a 'chronic shortage' when it is in fact an acute shortage.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Pretty dry in Wellington too in my experience. Like, for a while.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

exmachina posted:

Can confirm.

What I love though is the description of a 'chronic shortage' when it is in fact an acute shortage.

It's an acute chronic shortage

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

exmachina posted:

Can confirm.

It's an acute shortage of chronic /90s

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
I know people in Christchurch and Dunedin who both have reliable supplies at the moment. I know the guy I used to buy from has been out for quite a while though.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
In the last two days ive had two complete strangers ask me if i know where they can score..

Thats never happened to me before (Christchurch)

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

504 posted:

In the last two days ive had two complete strangers ask me if i know where they can score..

Thats never happened to me before (Christchurch)

Maybe you didn't look like you smoked before?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Not quite the kind of cabbage patch I believed Christchurch to be.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Taitale posted:

I know people in Christchurch and Dunedin who both have reliable supplies at the moment. I know the guy I used to buy from has been out for quite a while though.

well, help a girl out

joking

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The Schwa posted:

Pretty dry in Wellington too in my experience. Like, for a while.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Taitale posted:

Maybe you didn't look like you smoked before?

Interestingly (well not really) the first time i was wearing untidy "its raining and im trying to find an office in a huge area i dont know at all" clothes and the second time i was wearing "Formal job interview" clothes.

Maybe im dodgy.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Hawkes Bay being a small world.

Last couple of years, having smoko as you do. Guy mentioning new bike purchase, then me asking about how it is all going and such.

Year on, reading an article and recognizing the name.

Yep, Mongrel Mob Hastings president is a quiet and nice guy at work. But so many signs I've missed.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
So did Newshub just blur someones face out at their request for privacy, then show their full name and address a few moments later?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Personally, I find the Wicked Campers brouhaha to be loving stupid, but there's a brilliant PR meltdown going on right now with said company now that Paula Bennett has decided they can go get hosed.

And, when you find yourself writing

quote:

Bit of sexual violence never hurt anyone Paula. Your should try a bit .Lol .
in any context, there's just no way you're not going to come out of it looking like an epic oval office.

https://www.facebook.com/paulabennettmp/posts/10154034172069439?comment_id=10154034343534439&comment_tracking={%22tn%22%3A%22R9%22}

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 22, 2016

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
More upset a grown adult in a position of authority speaking in a public setting uses loving "U" instead of you.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Infotainment! posted:

More upset a grown adult in a position of authority speaking in a public setting uses loving "U" instead of you.

She's not mentally an adult, mind you.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Infotainment! posted:

Bit of textual violence never hurt anyone Infotainment. Your should try a bit .Lol .

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Teh decline in spelling and grammer and stuff is a legitimate and grevius issue.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
All sayleunt points

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

It takes a real effort to seize the moral low ground in an argument with a minister from the current government but this guy certainly achieved that.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Varkk posted:

It takes a real effort to seize the moral low ground in an argument with a minister from the current government but this guy certainly achieved that.

A regular Hermes Conrad, he.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

Spy agencies have 'open slather'

Who's surprised?

• Locked thread