Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Post-Yoga Wednesday Beer is... Off Color's Wari. Inspired by some poo poo found in archaeological digs in Peru. And, not surprisingly, it's loving good. Despite all the fancy history and poo poo, it's basically a Berliner. They even used their (I'm assuming house-cultured) lacto that's in Fierce and Troublesome. It is definitely an OC beer. Extremely crushable which only leads to the question... why is it not July?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

No_talent posted:

This is the year I die.

die drunk.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
A bit behind, but

mmartinx posted:

Staying in DC Friday -> Sunday and would like some downtown recommendations. I think the only beer place I've been was Granville Moores and it was loving awesome, and this was before I was even that-into beer.

I was in town for work about a month ago and enjoyed Churchkey quite a bit.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Apparently no one cares about Weihenstephaner 1516, so I am going to buy all of it in the Chicago area. I can honestly say that it is the best Kellerbier I have ever drank.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Fat Lou posted:

Apparently no one cares about Weihenstephaner 1516, so I am going to buy all of it in the Chicago area. I can honestly say that it is the best Kellerbier I have ever drank.

oooh. I'll make this the next not-Off Color beer I buy! Thanks for the tip ;)

...I buy a lot of Off Color.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

No_talent posted:

I can't comment on 187, as it was all old and had nothing but booze going on, but that P49 Bodhisattva was in the P49/Central City christmas pack and owns bones. It was crazy good, considering that Apticotopus was pretty average. P49 has always been either remarkable or remarkably average.

Yeah, P49 experiment more than most BC brewers, and while they release a lot of good stuff, when they miss, oh boy do they ever miss. However, no matter how far out their brews get, they always have a distinctive character that sets them apart from other beers, which is the reason I consider them one of the top Vancouver breweries. Jerkface, Gypsy Tears, Filthy Dirty and Old Boy are all perennial favorites of mine, and their seasonals and limited releases rarely disappoint. I can't wait to crack the 2016 Russian Imperial Stout.

Happy St. Patrick's Day to all. I'm drinking a "Screaming Banshee" Irish Cream Stout from Old Yale in Chilliwack. The Irish Cream dominates, but there's enough roasted coffee flavor to balance the sweetness, and the texture is really rich and velvety.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
My company does a half day on St. Patrick's and a full day off the next day (literally a recovery day) so I decided to warm up with some Hammerhead Speedway.

I've never been able to break down coffee like I can do for beer but basically it's regular Speedway on Canseco-esque steroids. Drink fresh. Don't sit on your local that gets a keg. It's not as complex as some of their other recent special releases but moreso a barrage of what "makes" Speedway, if that makes sense.

They are almost certainly going to do double and triple hammerhead bottles this year which is where the action should really happen but I'm not disappointed with what's in my glass.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

No_talent posted:

This is the year I die.

Welp. Just to confirm this, a friend is going to be bringing back Treehouse cans, some Bruery beers, and Hangar 24 stuff early this summer. He thinks that "you need to have Black Tuesday, even if it is just to say you did". This has me unreasonable excited.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

No_talent posted:

He thinks that "you need to have Black Tuesday, even if it is just to say you did". This has me unreasonable excited.

That's exactly what I tell people about Malört!

(Note: would much rather drink Malört)

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

danbanana posted:

That's exactly what I tell people about Malört!

(Note: would much rather drink Malört)

That's a lie. Black Tuesday is absurd and over the top but it's still infinitely more drinkable than Malort. And I'm one of those people who doesn't think Malort is that bad fwiw. I'm actually aging a portion of my latest lambic on Malort-soaked oak spirals... for science.

Actually, that makes me wonder, does anyone in Chicago make a commercial Malort aged beer? I would definitely be ISO that. And I have a few friends that would definitely be into that as well.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

~*~MY LAMBIC~*~

and some brewery just did Malort barrel something

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

a worthy uhh posted:

~*~MY LAMBIC~*~

and some brewery just did Malort barrel something

It's actually pretty good. Drink your bottle. Be impressed. I expect a full trip report.

Also thanks for the "some brewery just did Malort barrel something" which was a very helpful and insightful comment. Not a shitpost at all.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

HatfulOfHollow posted:

That's a lie. Black Tuesday is absurd and over the top but it's still infinitely more drinkable than Malort. And I'm one of those people who doesn't think Malort is that bad fwiw. I'm actually aging a portion of my latest lambic on Malort-soaked oak spirals... for science.

Actually, that makes me wonder, does anyone in Chicago make a commercial Malort aged beer? I would definitely be ISO that. And I have a few friends that would definitely be into that as well.

It's not a lie: at least with Malört, I don't have like a billion things of the same style that are infinitely superior. It's been a while since I had BT, but the two times I did have it, I found it a pretty awful beer. Like someone took Dark Lord and just dropped two shots of bad whiskey in it.

Malort isn't an aged liquor, so any beer that is "aged" on it would use something similar to your oak spiral idea. There have been some FOBAB entries that did something like that, to mostly awful results. There was also a unofficial Malört-aged Dark Lord keg tapped in a pre-FOBAB party at Fischman's this year. But nothing bottled.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

HatfulOfHollow posted:

a very helpful and insightful comment. Not a shitpost at all.

a worthy uhh.txt

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

wattershed posted:

My company does a half day on St. Patrick's and a full day off the next day (literally a recovery day) so I decided to warm up with some Hammerhead Speedway.

I've never been able to break down coffee like I can do for beer but basically it's regular Speedway on Canseco-esque steroids. Drink fresh. Don't sit on your local that gets a keg. It's not as complex as some of their other recent special releases but moreso a barrage of what "makes" Speedway, if that makes sense.

They are almost certainly going to do double and triple hammerhead bottles this year which is where the action should really happen but I'm not disappointed with what's in my glass.

I did the "deconstructed Hammerhead" flight when i was down at alesmith and I thought the espresso hurt it. The Espresso only was worse than the final beer, and the coffee only was better.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Bottle Logic's got its 'Week of Logic' thing going on from 3/20 - 3/26 for anyone in the Orange County/LA area. They've got a bunch of more unusual, limited edition drinks coming out during that period but it'll be a madhouse.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

Erev posted:

Bottle Logic's got its 'Week of Logic' thing going on from 3/20 - 3/26 for anyone in the Orange County/LA area. They've got a bunch of more unusual, limited edition drinks coming out during that period but it'll be a madhouse.

I'm planning to go at 2 PM each day, and bounce before it gets too crazy (hopefully). Looking forward to the week of releases, but mainly want to attend the FO blending session.

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005
Anyone going to Dark Lord Day this year, or is the SA beer crew over it? Ticket prices were hard to stomach, but the guaranteed variant will be nice, as in 4 years of attending I've yet to win.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

A friend snagged me a group D ticket so I'll be there. Drop me a PM or if a bunch of other goons are going we can get an email chain going for some meetups. Fingers crossed for decent weather. Surely it can't be lovely for the 3rd year in a row!

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Randomly decided to go to the beer shop today here in norcal and they had Jester King Le Petit Prince and Simple Means, Toolbox Bog Sauce, and Cantillon Gueuze. A good day.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Zam posted:

I'm planning to go at 2 PM each day, and bounce before it gets too crazy (hopefully). Looking forward to the week of releases, but mainly want to attend the FO blending session.

Awesome - I hadn't realized that they extended the hours. I'm planning to make every day as well but I need to work around my job and other obligations.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Currently at Avery, place is rad, enjoying some of their weird beers that don't get distro in philly.

Probably going to drop a fortune on bottles on my way out unfortunately.

Edit: if anyone in the philly area wants an uncle jacob's, tweak, old perseverance, or pump[KY]n I can probably hook you up.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 18, 2016

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!

Avenged posted:

Anyone going to Dark Lord Day this year, or is the SA beer crew over it? Ticket prices were hard to stomach, but the guaranteed variant will be nice, as in 4 years of attending I've yet to win.

I'll be there. My friend got me a ticket (have to ask him what group we are in, though).

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Hello from Vermont!

Had a decent day yesterday , hit up Hill Farmstead and landed my max bottles on everything and really enjoyed the new set up there . Things flowed a lot easier than they used to and the tasting room is awesome . Got to buy E. and got to pop one in the tasting room so so good and funky. My only sad moment about HF was no regular bottles . I normally try to grab a case of Arthur .... Eh I spent enough there as it was .

Found a case of sip of sunshine and a case of second fiddle so far , today will be Heady Hunt and probably do sole touristy stuff .

On our way up we stopped at NEBCO and G-Bot is still delicious . On our way home we are hitting Tree House and NEBCO ...

Beercations are awesome

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004

Vertigo posted:

Hello from Vermont!

Had a decent day yesterday , hit up Hill Farmstead and landed my max bottles on everything and really enjoyed the new set up there . Things flowed a lot easier than they used to and the tasting room is awesome . Got to buy E. and got to pop one in the tasting room so so good and funky. My only sad moment about HF was no regular bottles . I normally try to grab a case of Arthur .... Eh I spent enough there as it was .

Found a case of sip of sunshine and a case of second fiddle so far , today will be Heady Hunt and probably do sole touristy stuff .

On our way up we stopped at NEBCO and G-Bot is still delicious . On our way home we are hitting Tree House and NEBCO ...

Beercations are awesome

Sounds like you're having a great time jealous af. Where did you find Second Fiddle? Are they canning during the week now? Last time I checked it was every other Saturday brewery only. And gently caress driving to that place, gently caress those lights.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Found fiddle at the brewery. They had some from 3/11 left.

It did have the highlight of the trip though , as a senior from the pizza place next door walked over with an empty mug and started yelling that he wanted it filled . He had to be 80-85... Bought a 32 oz growler of their IPA and wandered back into Folinos.

And believe it or not I cruised thru EVERY light didn't hit one .

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Vertigo posted:

Hello from Vermont!

Unless you are lactose intolerant, stop at the Cabot Annex in Waterbury. They have about a hundred cheeses for sale (not all Cabot) and most have free samples. Have lunch, nobody seems to mind. Lake Champlain Chocolate is one building over in the same parking area and makes excellent chocolates. They also have a coffee bar if you need a wake-up.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Yup! This is my 4th trip here . We stock up on beer chocolate and cheese every time . That Cabot stuff is like crack ... The alpine cheddar though .... I could eat the whole block

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
This Saturday Forgotten Boardwalk is releasing an Imperial Coffee Stout aged in Heaven Hill Bourbon Barrels and 3 additional variants.

Title Deed - an Imperial Oatmeal Coffee Stout aged in Heaven Hill Bourbon Barrels and three variants based on how other countries drink their coffee.

The three variants of Title Deed feature the taste profiles of a cup of coffee from Thailand, Senegal & India.

Cafe Touba - it's our Title Deed Imperial Oatmeal Coffee Stout aged in bourbon barrels,with the addition of grains of selim & cloves. This is how you drink coffee from Senegal.

Black Tie - it's our Title Deed Imperial Oatmeal Coffee Stout aged in bourbon barrels with the addition of black tea, orange blossom water, star anise & crushed tamarind. This is how you drink coffee from Thailand.

Kaapi - it's our Title Deed Imperial Oatmeal Coffee Stout aged in bourbon barrels with the addition of chicory. This is how you drink coffee from India.

$18 a bottle, $72 for set of four.

I liked the Barrel aged Morrow Castle but not at $18 a bottle. Not sure if this is worth it at that price.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I don't trust Forgotten Boardwalk to add clove, star anise, or chicory to a beer and not gently caress it up

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Just ate our free breakfast at the hotel bar/restaurant ... Focal and Heady are available here .... So close to asking about a breakfast beer ... But I know what we are doing tonight .

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

a worthy uhh posted:

I don't trust Forgotten Boardwalk to add clove, star anise, or chicory to a beer and not gently caress it up

I picked up a growler of Pocket Trick, their imperial IPA so I'll see how that tastes. I do like Morrow Castle and Funnel Cake every now and then. Their IPA is forgettable and nothing else really makes me excited about them. They are however extremely close to where I live so that's a plus I guess.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Morro Castle is the only beer I ever want from Forgotten Boardwalk and even that isn't even worth the 15 minute drive into Jersey. I had such high hopes for that place but they're just churning out the same beers over and over with different adjuncts. And none of the base beers are good enough to warrant that type of experimentation. Or the price.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Morro Castle is the only beer I ever want from Forgotten Boardwalk and even that isn't even worth the 15 minute drive into Jersey. I had such high hopes for that place but they're just churning out the same beers over and over with different adjuncts. And none of the base beers are good enough to warrant that type of experimentation. Or the price.

This but I'm already in Jersey so I don't even have to pay a $5 bridge toll

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007
Amen to the Forgotten Boardwalk chat. Morro Castle is really good, and if it's at Wilco in Pennsauken, I'll pick it up from time to time. Other than that, I'm completely over them. My friend got a bottle of the barrel aged MC and it was just terrible. Their IPA is a chewy malt bomb, and everything else is just so mediocre and forgettable. The owners seem too invested in the concept of the brewery rather than expanding their portfolio of beers. I guess that's fine and a non issue for the general consumer, but when you're competing with Spellbound, Kane, and Carton, you can only get by on your gimmick and concept for so long.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

I planned on a three hour heady hunt today ... Walked in the first store at 9 am and was allowed to buy a case each so... Yeah. Wound up going to lost nation and rock art with out free time ..

I'm sitting in my hotel drinking Focal Banger. Life is good .

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Rock Art: Only If You Have an Hour To Kill

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Truest words ever written

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!

Slore Tactician posted:

I'll be there. My friend got me a ticket (have to ask him what group we are in, though).

I'll be in Group C, it turns out. Aquavit barrel DL here I come!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Saint Somewhere makes some good rear end saisons and they really do taste better when in green bottles for some reason. Just a tiny bit of skunk really brings out the funk.