Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The talking apple
Oct 24, 2005
I've seen plenty of life is strange cosplay and max seems to do, which is no suprise considering on how generic (ordinary) her design is. The one below is definitely my favourite.

The talking apple fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
that last pic is cute, but it does seem a bit weird to me to cosplay as max - either you look like her or you dont? i guess people can do pretty awesome things with makeup

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
The eye makeup on the first one is a nice touch.

So a friend of mine was playing for the first time and kept messaging me on Steam while he was going through episode 5. As he reaches the end, he writes me "Nope. Nuh uh, I refuse. You can't make me" and closes the game, saying that he doesn't have to choose if he never opens it ever again. He restarted 5 minutes later and saved the bay, but I admire that level of "NOPE." He was also extremely proud to be in the 6% that showed Warren no affection whatsoever.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nameless Pete posted:

He was also extremely proud to be in the 6% that showed Warren no affection whatsoever.

:same:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
more importantly is there any warren cosplay?

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Kurtofan posted:

more importantly is there any warren cosplay?

Quick Google search indicates "yes," but it's like 60% chicks doing crossplay.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird
Well this is pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elx7dEi9DzA

Verviticus posted:

max has gone through an almost unfathomable amount of emotional trauma in the past weekish, i get the impression that no matter what ending you pick, she's probably hosed for a long time

the game is really bleak but i love it anyways

I don't think its bleak. It's a downer for sure but I think you are meant to take the end as a positive. At least the Bay ending,

And most fictional characters go through poo poo that would melt a normal human's brain. But that's why they are fictional.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

The perfect voice pack if you are a save-scummer.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I'm pretty sure that Bay ending Max isn't going to make it. Going through all of that psychological trauma, watching her friends die over and over again, being directly or indirectly responsible for said deaths, and experiencing utter helplessness at the mercy of an unforgiving universe that strips away her agency is going to take it's toll. Couple that with the loss of the best friend she ever had, who essentially died alone, outcast, and marginalized in this continuity, and you have a supreme sense of loneliness. Couple that with her no longer having anyone to talk to/bear witness to these traumas that she's endured without being marked as totally insane, and the fact that nobody will ever understand her neurotic behaviors and feelings. She seems more doomed to become a wallflower than ever before. I'm really not trying to have an intentionally dark and edgy interpretation here. But I genuinely can't see a progression from the Bay ending that doesn't end in a mental breakdown/suicide from Max. This is the idea that hit me when I got to the end of the game, and it hit me hard. I can't recall the last time I was so moved by a game. I've been doing a lot of research on trauma theory lately, so that's why this seems totally different to me than your typical protagonist PTSD: Max has no way to work through this in a healthy manner. In the Bae ending, she and Chloe come out as mutually beneficial (but also mutually dependent) counselors for each other's grief, cemented by an identity that has basically bound the two together through shared trauma. You could argue that this could lead to intense paranoia about the slightest possibility of Chloe's death, but that's another discussion.
This, coupled with the fact that the tornado isn't so much caused by Chloe's survival as it is stopped by Chloe's very specific death (which ties into the recurrent Biblical dichotomy between Abrahamic challenges against God's will vs Messianic martyrdom) makes me convinced that the Bay ending is the "bad" ending. It's "bad" as in it's a worse result; Arcadia Bay is naturally doomed to be purged in a Sodom and Gomorrah-style apocalypse, though the game may contextualize it through natural forces such as global warming. This is made clear by the presence of environmental anomalies/plagues even when Chloe was wheelchair-bound. It still seems like an inevitability, only delayed by circumstance. Even if it isn't, the town and its people learn no lesson from the experience; that's the tragedy. They'll never understand Chloe's sacrifice, and Chloe herself didn't understand it: her continued victimization - physical, verbal, sexual, and social ostracism - led even her to internalize her purported worthlessness, as she practically begs Max to kill her at the end (to which her past incarnation did not consent). Jefferson's game is a microcosm of the town's social atmosphere - he sacrifices innocence and convinces his victims of their own impurity. So are we meant to think of these unwilling sacrifices for the "greater good" in the context of Jefferson's sadism? I think the "Bae" ending, more than being wish-fulfillment for shippers, is a novel condemnation of the ruthless utilitarian ideology that runs through modern society. It puts victim's agency back in their hands. But in the Bay ending, this toxic ideology is vindicated, and Max suffers for it. And that's lovely.
I think the Bay ending is the Bad Ending, but it isn't a bad ending. To me, Life is Strange is a tragic inversion of a coming-of-age story, one that leaves its protagonists worse-off than before. Its naturalist influences combine with its sci-fi influences (lots of explicit and subtextual references to Blade Runner) to create a truly unique and ambitious game. And I honestly think that either ending choice can be valid, depending on just how lovely you want the outcome to be - morbid or bittersweet.

I'd love to write more about how this relates to other works of fiction (I'm specifically thinking of Dan Simmons's Hyperion), but I fear that I must sound like a crazy person having written this. It's just my interpretation, really, and I think it raises some interesting points even if it doesn't fit together perfectly. And note that I came to these conclusions through a very liberal interpretation of the Abraham myths - ones that place the man himself in a surprising position of power, able to restrain or barter with God - that is, when he isn't outright calling God on his bullshit. So this all is probably coming from an even deeper, looser series of (mis)interpretations. But perhaps that's part of the fun.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Beefstew posted:

Couple that with her no longer having anyone to talk to/bear witness to these traumas that she's endured without being marked as totally insane, and the fact that nobody will ever understand her neurotic behaviors and feelings.

Warren is always there for her. She'll be fine.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Paladinus posted:

Warren is always there for her. She'll be fine.

Like I said, bad ending.

Warren is a dweebazoid, but he isn't actually a creep/rear end in a top hat, so I think demonizing him as a "nice guy" is a bit unfair. Even if Max never shows interest in him, he doesn't respond with hostility and still wants to be a good friend, despite the awkwardness of his persistent feelings for her.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Beefstew posted:

Like I said, bad ending.

Warren is a dweebazoid, but he isn't actually a creep/rear end in a top hat, so I think demonizing him as a "nice guy" is a bit unfair. Even if Max never shows interest in him, he doesn't respond with hostility and still wants to be a good friend, despite the awkwardness of his persistent feelings for her.

Thing about Nice Guys is that they generally happen at a slow boil. Of course, I'm hardly unbiased about this. :v:

Anyway I really like your analysis and now I'm gonna check out Hyperion.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Plom Bar posted:

Thing about Nice Guys is that they generally happen at a slow boil. Of course, I'm hardly unbiased about this. :v:

It's really good, though I have yet to read all the way through the sequels. Nevertheless, the first Hyperion is probably one of my favorite sci-fi books, after Dune.
And thank you very much for the compliment! I really need to organize that argument better and synthesize it with some of the intertextual stuff before I share it with LiS turbonerds to tear apart.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Plom Bar posted:

Don't boil people, tia.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Robiben posted:

Well this is pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elx7dEi9DzA

I don't think its bleak. It's a downer for sure but I think you are meant to take the end as a positive. At least the Bay ending,

And most fictional characters go through poo poo that would melt a normal human's brain. But that's why they are fictional.

ya but they're fictional space marines or whatever. max is portrayed as a real person going through trauma that melts real people

like if some grizzled war vet has to kill a dozen whatevers to save his thing from a thing its not even really relateable. but sexual assault (by her loving hero, mentor and teacher!! no less), friends dying/committing suicide, people losing their homes, the euthanization choice - that poo poo breaks people every day. its even more ridiculous when you realize her assault is not just "oh i was abused by my mentor" it was "i was abused by my mentor and the only way to survive is to relive that abuse in excruciating detail while preparing a way to escape

one of the (many) things brought up in the argument of why people are hesitant to make up sexual assault is because even describing what happened in an ostensibly perfectly safe environment (a courtroom), even while pursuing a just end, is an extremely hard thing to do. what max ends up having to do is that but uh, worse in every single way

i just can't really see any reasonable outcome from where her choices are "my hometown is destroyed + all the things i mentioned" or the loving save the bay ending good loving god

edit: this is not a criticism of the game at all. i think the stark realness of the traumatic stuff in this game is what gives it a lot of its power, and i have no concern whatsoever whether or not an ending is bleak or positive, and i think spanish sahara (i also love foals) is basically the perfect loving song for what they wanted to convey at that ending.. but still, ouch

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 17, 2016

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Call me lucky, but my life is closer to that of an X-COM marine than to that of an American female teenager with time-rewinding powers.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

you think its easier to relate to the problems xcom soldiers suffer (being shot by plasma, being mind controlled, getting left behind during evac and being tortured by aliens, missing shots that get your friends killed) over the problems in life is strange?

im not actually including time-travel related stuff, like, "oh i went back in time and then i had to go back in time to undo that because i made it all worse" isn't really a real-life problem. that would add to it but obviously nobody has had to deal with that

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Verviticus posted:

you think its easier to relate to the problems xcom soldiers suffer (being shot by plasma, being mind controlled, getting left behind during evac and being tortured by aliens, missing shots that get your friends killed) over the problems in life is strange?

im not actually including time-travel related stuff, like, "oh i went back in time and then i had to go back in time to undo that because i made it all worse" isn't really a real-life problem. that would add to it but obviously nobody has had to deal with that

You're asking the wrong question.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I feel like I missed out on a golden opportunity by not making my Division character look like Chloe, but in my defense, this was before I knew beanies could be worn in this game. In this reality, the temporal storm in Arcadia Bay led to a series of unforeseeable events leading to an outbreak in NYC, and only grizzled pistol dual-wielder Chloe Price can set things right.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Paladinus posted:

Don't boil people, tia.

You're not even my real dad who never loved me!

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Late to the party, but whatever. It's been a good while since I played a game through to the end, but this one held my interest all the way. And it's sooo loving refreshing with a main character whose main defining trait isn't snark.

Story fell apart a bit at the end. The villain felt like he belonged in an entirely different game. On that note, I wish that Nathan's situation had been explored more.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

anatomi posted:

Late to the party, but whatever. It's been a good while since I played a game through to the end, but this one held my interest all the way. And it's sooo loving refreshing with a main character whose main defining trait isn't snark.

Story fell apart a bit at the end. The villain felt like he belonged in an entirely different game. On that note, I wish that Nathan's situation had been explored more.

they could have explored a lot more of the characters with more time, but in the end it was a story about Max and Chloe, so I thought it was okay that we only got what we could piece together

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Cool, thread isn't dead anymore and I can share this: after making my sister play the game, her boyfriend is currently in the middle of his first run. She sacrificed the bay, but I know this guy and there is no way he does the same. Is it wrong if I kind of want to see them get in a fight over it? "Oh, so you wouldn't kill a town for me?!"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Nameless Pete posted:

Cool, thread isn't dead anymore and I can share this: after making my sister play the game, her boyfriend is currently in the middle of his first run. She sacrificed the bay, but I know this guy and there is no way he does the same. Is it wrong if I kind of want to see them get in a fight over it? "Oh, so you wouldn't kill a town for me?!"

He should dump her if she does that.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Related to DONTNOD, their next game, "Vampyr," seems pretty interesting so far!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KK4NoMKOMs

Interview with narrative director Stéphane Beauverger: http://www.rpgsite.net/interview/4902-dontnod-interview-the-tragedy-and-mythology-that-encapsulate-their-new-rpg-vampyr

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Paladinus posted:

She should dump him if he does that.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

This is, of course, the ideal outcome. For the guy.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Paladinus posted:

This is, of course, the ideal outcome. For the guy.

yes, because anyone who chooses the Bay over bae deserves to end up alone

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I chose bae over bay because gently caress the game for trying to make me feel guilty over having mindfuck powers

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

PunkBoy posted:

Related to DONTNOD, their next game, "Vampyr," seems pretty interesting so far!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KK4NoMKOMs

Interview with narrative director Stéphane Beauverger: http://www.rpgsite.net/interview/4902-dontnod-interview-the-tragedy-and-mythology-that-encapsulate-their-new-rpg-vampyr

Really wish I could bring myself to care about anything with vampires in it, but I just can't

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

Really wish I could bring myself to care about anything with vampires in it, but I just can't

Same, except instead of vampires for me it's the idea of Dontnod writing a satisfying ending.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

morallyobjected posted:

yes, because anyone who chooses the Bay over bae deserves to end up alone

:agreed:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I'm be really disappointed if there's no alternative to '30 year old white dude in a trenchcoat' as the player character in this.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Count Uvula posted:

I'm be really disappointed if there's no alternative to '30 year old white dude in a trenchcoat' as the player character in this.

Why would there be? DontNod's games have both had a set unchanging protagonist so far.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Status update: I was wrong and he chose Bae. I'm glad; they're good together.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Nameless Pete posted:

They belong together, a couple of sociopaths.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Nameless Pete posted:

It's good to see more fellow comrades in the war against fate.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Nameless Pete posted:

Never let it be said that straight people can't, on occasion, pleasantly surprise me.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Nameless Pete posted:

I'm happy that we got closure to this story, and that the correct decision was made by all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
i'm pretty convinced now that bay is actually the bad ending

for example, if you save the bay, warren is at the funeral

• Locked thread