Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Our 5-month-old is not having a good time sleeping. She'll wake up with these sort of coughing/short cry sounds several times throughout the night. It's been warmer here lately, so it's been rather warm in our bedroom, but even after changing her into a onesie in the middle of the night, she still seemed to have this problem. Does anyone have any ideas? FWIW, she sleeps in our bed with us because she's a stubborn cuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Last week I went on a business trip several time zones away and brought the wife and our 5 month son with us since she had family nearby. The major work for the trip was working a conference in another nearby but not neighboring city, so I was going to be away from him for about four days all for the first time.

Plane trip there was nearly perfect. He wouldn't sleep at al but responded well to being given a bottle at takeoffs and landings. Everybody thought he was so great and the airline even gave him a set of wings. :3:

My wife came down with a nasty cold on Sunday. I left for the conference the next day. Wednesday she texts me that she's in ER because our son is having breathing problems, ultimate diagnosed to be RSV. He seemed to get better on Thursday but took a turn on Friday. This time she managed to find an urgent care pediatrician who diagnosed him with an ear infection. Poor guy! I was dreading the flight back.

Did I mention that I picked it up too? During the convention? I don't know how I managed to stave off its worst effects (coughing, loss of voice), but Thursday afternoon after the confernece my body pretty much collapsed without the stress and opened itself up to all of that nastiness. I've had a lifetime of sinus issues but something about the variable head throbbing really just pushed me over my limit. That throbbing didn't stop until Monday.

The flight back went as well as could be expected with my wife on the mend, baby sort of better, and me generally miserable. It was also one of those harrowing west-to-east coast flights with a shuttle flight so all three of us were up from 5am pacific until we finally settled into our own beds at around 2am eastern.

I guess the positive to take away is that it's a test-run of what to expect for the next 18 years?

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Good news is all the physical illness stuff tends to taper off right about age 8-9 or so (after a sudden increase in illness rates every time kids enter a new school setting and get introduced to new germ pools). Eventually you'll burn through every illness a kid could possibly get, plus a few bonus. My favorites were the time my kids came down with the symptoms of hand foot and mouth on day 1 of our beach vacation we'd planned a year for, and the time my youngest daughter got a petechial rash that caused a huge freakout that resulted in nothing but days of tests that showed she was fine and they had no idea why she got it. Oh and the time the kids got Parvovirus (aka Fifth disease) and we found out my husband had never had it as a kid, and by the way this is way way worse if you get it as an adult than a kid. Kids were fine after 5 days, husband was miserable for 3 months.

So yeah, buckle up for a hell of a ride.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Marchegiana posted:

Good news is all the physical illness stuff tends to taper off right about age 8-9 or so (after a sudden increase in illness rates every time kids enter a new school setting and get introduced to new germ pools). Eventually you'll burn through every illness a kid could possibly get, plus a few bonus. My favorites were the time my kids came down with the symptoms of hand foot and mouth on day 1 of our beach vacation we'd planned a year for, and the time my youngest daughter got a petechial rash that caused a huge freakout that resulted in nothing but days of tests that showed she was fine and they had no idea why she got it. Oh and the time the kids got Parvovirus (aka Fifth disease) and we found out my husband had never had it as a kid, and by the way this is way way worse if you get it as an adult than a kid. Kids were fine after 5 days, husband was miserable for 3 months.

So yeah, buckle up for a hell of a ride.

Yeah, before I had kids I would always turn down "trip cancellation" insurance when buying plane tickets. Now, things like this make me think twice about it.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I'd never thought about trip cancelation insurance. Does that apply on return trips as well?

I had mild panic attacks thinking about how if we were too sick to travel, the additional money (beyond the ER and urgent care visits) cost to rebook.

I also thought, "This was a loving terrible idea to go on a flight with a 5 month old now that I can see the risk of sickness!" That's probably not a healthy attitude to have, but I can't see myself going through all of the brain damage of tacking on a family visit onto a business trip ever again.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Cheesus posted:

I'd never thought about trip cancelation insurance. Does that apply on return trips as well?

I had mild panic attacks thinking about how if we were too sick to travel, the additional money (beyond the ER and urgent care visits) cost to rebook.

I also thought, "This was a loving terrible idea to go on a flight with a 5 month old now that I can see the risk of sickness!" That's probably not a healthy attitude to have, but I can't see myself going through all of the brain damage of tacking on a family visit onto a business trip ever again.

I guess it depends on the insurance, can't remember how it applies to return trips.

The most basic one would be to get a refund or re-schedule your trip if you can't leave due to sickness of one of your party members. We got this one when we bought tickets to go to my wife's parent's in France for just after our son was born; we bought the tickets in advance and our son was going to be 3 months when travelling, we didn't know what to expect. You can also buy insurance to cover you during your trip, some credit cards might actually include this if you pay for your trip with it. These while-traveling insurance packages usually cover doctors abroad, early repatriation, and some might also pay for a family member to go abroad to you if you cannot travel back; these might include delaying your return trip too.

I am not an insurance expert, but these are some of the things I've come across as we've been travelling with our kids.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Update on the whole difficult 3 year old.

We've started a sticker chart and it seems to be working. I think it's also made me realise that maybe I don't pay as much attention to her as I should, she's brilliant when she's getting attention (I.e doing puzzles and the like). So I've realised that I'm partially at fault too.

Fun and games of parenting.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Oodles posted:

Update on the whole difficult 3 year old.

We've started a sticker chart and it seems to be working. I think it's also made me realise that maybe I don't pay as much attention to her as I should, she's brilliant when she's getting attention (I.e doing puzzles and the like). So I've realised that I'm partially at fault too.

Fun and games of parenting.

This is honestly one of the main things I struggle with as a mom. I have three little ones, and one is in elementary school now. I spend a lot of my mornings doing dishes, catching up on emails, paying bills, changing diapers, etc. But not playing with my little kids. They play with their toys, and with each other, but I get so wrapped up in household chores or scheduling our lives that I lose sight of the life happening right in front of me! Don't get me wrong, we do playdates and go to the park and stuff, but we do more errands and chores together than fun and games.

I also don't push too hard on the things I guess they should know. My 5-year old is still learning how to tie his shoelaces, and he doesn't know how to ride a bike yet. He also still pees by sitting on the potty, so I have to teach him how to pee standing up and keeping him from pulling his pants all the way down. My 3-year old isn't potty-trained yet and has some speech issues. My youngest...well, he's fine so far, but he's not really talking so I guess I can add that to the list of poo poo to worry about.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

How do you get the kid to stop pooping in a diaper? My daughter pees in the toilet just fine, but refuses to poop other than in a diaper. We haven't pushed her too much on it, because we don't want her to get constipated. (She went an entire weekend without pooping until I put her in a diaper and she pooped within 10 minutes.)

Poop.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Wait it out? How old is she?

Edit: by wait it out I mean just deal with diaper pooping while encouraging her to try the toilet

sheri fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 12, 2016

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

sheri posted:

Wait it out? How old is she?

Three. I was hoping that she'd be out of diapers by now, but seems like she's holding on.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Alexandra did that for a while, then started using the potty to poop too. She just wasn't ready yet.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

My oldest got into a rhythm of pooping every night, he was in underwear all day and then an overnight diaper for bed, which he would poop in within 10 minutes of having it on. One night, we just put him on the potty instead of the diaper and had him just sit there until he pooped. He was there for like 45 minutes, finally pooped and we praised the poo poo out of him (:smugdog:) and had him poop on the potty every night after that before putting on his nighttime diaper.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, she knows when she's going to poop, because she tells us she's going to poop (in her diaper) now. When we suggest going in the toilet instead, she refuses. When I ask her why, she just says she wants to poop in the diaper. We don't want to push her too hard on it either, in fear of her getting issues with it. I suppose she'll go when she's ready. She's very quick to finish, too, she tried a couple of times during the "no poop weekend", and she just sat there for five seconds and proudly proclaimed "I pooped now, mommy!". Yeah, no, you didn't.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
My kid is a hit and miss toilet-pooper, but she started this hilarious thing where she'll shout for the poop to come, and then it does! And we have to join in! "Mommy, come on, we have to shout for the poop! BÆÆÆÆÆSJ!! BÆÆÆÆÆSJ! NÅ MÅ DU KOMME, BÆÆÆÆÆSJEEEEEEN! (:norway:) And you too, mommy!" I never imagined that parenthood would entail sitting on the floor of our bathroom shouting for poop.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Sockmuppet posted:

My kid is a hit and miss toilet-pooper, but she started this hilarious thing where she'll shout for the poop to come, and then it does! And we have to join in! "Mommy, come on, we have to shout for the poop! BÆÆÆÆÆSJ!! BÆÆÆÆÆSJ! NÅ MÅ DU KOMME, BÆÆÆÆÆSJEEEEEEN! (:norway:) And you too, mommy!" I never imagined that parenthood would entail sitting on the floor of our bathroom shouting for poop.

That's hilarious.

I can relate too. My son would refuse to go to his potty unless mom or I were sitting on the proper toilet, chatting, making synchronized pushing efforts, cheering for his poo, and having who'll-poo-first competitions. Gladly that ended when he got old enough to go to the proper toilet, although he would then ask us to stay in the bathroom with him. Until mom and I made a stand for ourselves and told him it smelled too bad in there and we would no longer be accompanying him. He still refuses to shut the door and instructs us to stay in sight, but at least we get more fresh air.

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009

Sockmuppet posted:

Heh. Parenting, man. You hear about the sleepless nights, the terrible twos, the tantrums at the supermarket, but no one ever tells you about having to sit on the floor of the bathroom shouting for poop. I love all that crazy poo poo right out of an astronaut eating a panini with black Hitler.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

God I hate Daylight Savings. Jasper still hasn't adjusted. He won't fall asleep till 10pm. I have to wake him up at 7am to get to daycare. He's so tired that he naps a lot at daycare so when he comes home he doesn't fall asleep till 10pm. :argh:

This is going to be a rough weekend trying to reset his clocks.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah, we're finding out this is a lot of fun with our 5.5-month-old. Why do we still have this stupid system anyways?

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
This year I'm digging daylight savings. Our 5 month old would already be tired-cranky when I got home from work, not anymore! I now get way more smiles and giggles at dinner time :toot:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

hooah posted:

Yeah, we're finding out this is a lot of fun with our 5.5-month-old. Why do we still have this stupid system anyways?

There was never a good reason to ever have this stupid system.

Luckily ours has been fine with it! Whoo!

Also, we just started daycare for the first time today. Gonna do two days a week, wife really needs the break and the opportunity to clean the house, he's entered an age where he's incredibly demanding of attention and she just has no time for herself or other non-baby things she needs to do, except the brief period in the evenings where I take over before he falls asleep, and that just hasn't been enough.

She's super nervous, but the daycare provider sent her pictures which is helping her relax

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
This past spring forward has been the smoothest with our son (20 months). It kinda helped that he woke up an hour early on Sunday, thus negating any affect the time change had.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah, we got lucky with this too. Our 14 month old daughter was waking up at 6am due to light, now she's back on the 8-7 schedule thanks to DST. OF course, why we have such an abomination of a system in place is it's own issue.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I love having the day last longer (I like being able to get home from work and take my girl to the park or play outside or wherever) so I just suggest we leave DST the standard for all 12 months moving forward.

Incidentally our 19 month old had zero problems adjusting thank God.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Man, potty-training a 3-year old with a short attention span is the WORST! I really want to send her to the local preschool to help develop her language skills and focus her attention a little bit, but they require kids to be potty trained. At the rate we are going, it's going to take months to get her out of diapers. :sigh:

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

VorpalBunny posted:

Man, potty-training a 3-year old with a short attention span is the WORST! I really want to send her to the local preschool to help develop her language skills and focus her attention a little bit, but they require kids to be potty trained. At the rate we are going, it's going to take months to get her out of diapers. :sigh:

So, a regular 3-year old :v:

Potty training is tricky. What have you tried lately? For attention span issues, we did a lot of potty-training related books while sitting on the potty, this made for 1-hour long sessions reading stories, eventually it included some potty action.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Ok, question time. What can I change a 14 month old until she potty trains on? difficulty: grandparents will not change her on the floor, and we do 100% floor beds.

I was thinking our couch, but I can't find any sort of actual changing table that's big enough as she's already past 31 inches/71cm - too long for a changing table.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Ok, question time. What can I change a 14 month old until she potty trains on? difficulty: grandparents will not change her on the floor, and we do 100% floor beds.

I was thinking our couch, but I can't find any sort of actual changing table that's big enough as she's already past 31 inches/71cm - too long for a changing table.

Do you have a dresser or anything? We just have a changing pad setup on a dresser top. But I'm lolling at 31 inches at 14 months old. Is that, like, 99.9 percentile?

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Use a changing pad on top of a regular table?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

BonoMan posted:

Do you have a dresser or anything? We just have a changing pad setup on a dresser top. But I'm lolling at 31 inches at 14 months old. Is that, like, 99.9 percentile?

Heh, she has defied all metrics thus far. She grew just under 2 inches, 2 lbs, and went up 15% for her head from 12 months -> 14 months - during which we've been experiencing a perpetual growth spurt even through now. Kid grows her nails back in 24 hours right now.

I'll definitely try a regular table.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Heh, she has defied all metrics thus far. She grew just under 2 inches, 2 lbs, and went up 15% for her head from 12 months -> 14 months - during which we've been experiencing a perpetual growth spurt even through now. Kid grows her nails back in 24 hours right now.

I'll definitely try a regular table.

She may have been replaced by a changeling. Put cold iron under her bed at night, if it rusts and is hot to the touch in the morning you may need to put a bowl of milk under the nearest elf-hill.

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007
My daughter has always been super tall too. She was 37" at her 2 year appointment and just keeps growing, despite living on a diet that consists of eating mostly the middle 4 bites of peanut butter sandwiches. Tall babbies!

I never used a changing table but only because ours is in an impractical place, upstairs. I usually changed her on a changing pad on the floor, or occasionally the bed.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

rgocs posted:

So, a regular 3-year old :v:

Potty training is tricky. What have you tried lately? For attention span issues, we did a lot of potty-training related books while sitting on the potty, this made for 1-hour long sessions reading stories, eventually it included some potty action.

She is mildly interested in potty-training, but she is also a super goof and has some speech issues. I put her on the potty once an hour, let her sit for a bit to pee or not, and if she pees she gets a sticker. Five stickers in a day and she gets an adventure or special treat. She did well the past two days, and today has shown less interest. Its not too much of a pain in the rear end, so I will keep it up for the rest of the week. If she tapers off and gets like one sticker a day at the end of this trial, we'll back off and try something else. I'm not in a rush, I'm just trying to get her to realize if she holds her pee she can let it out on a potty.

But yeah, she really could care less. Which I know is one of the main issues with potty training, but she is so feral I think she'd be fine just pissing her pants forever. We'll get there. We took forever with her older brother too, I guess we just suck at potty training.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
At what point do I have to worry my 18 month old is addicted to pain medicine? She had a fever for a few days and was getting liquid advil a couple times per day per doctors orders. Last night and tonight she ran over to where the bottle is kept trying to get some. :-)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hdip posted:

At what point do I have to worry my 18 month old is addicted to pain medicine? She had a fever for a few days and was getting liquid advil a couple times per day per doctors orders. Last night and tonight she ran over to where the bottle is kept trying to get some. :-)

She likes the berry flavor. She'll be fine.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

VorpalBunny posted:

She is mildly interested in potty-training, but she is also a super goof and has some speech issues. I put her on the potty once an hour, let her sit for a bit to pee or not, and if she pees she gets a sticker. Five stickers in a day and she gets an adventure or special treat. She did well the past two days, and today has shown less interest. Its not too much of a pain in the rear end, so I will keep it up for the rest of the week. If she tapers off and gets like one sticker a day at the end of this trial, we'll back off and try something else. I'm not in a rush, I'm just trying to get her to realize if she holds her pee she can let it out on a potty.

But yeah, she really could care less. Which I know is one of the main issues with potty training, but she is so feral I think she'd be fine just pissing her pants forever. We'll get there. We took forever with her older brother too, I guess we just suck at potty training.

During the rest of the time, is she wearing a diaper? From what I remember after a few times of peeing themselves on proper clothes and staying wet for a bit they'll stop doing it; it's not a great feeling to be soaked in pee (usually).

Have you tried doing just a couple of long potty sessions (e.g. at the start and end of the day) instead of every hour?

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Hdip posted:

It's because it's so god drat delicious. My kid develops a limp when he sees the bottle of calpol (UK version of a paracetamol based childrens medicine) and pathetically whispers that a little bit of medicine might help his very sore leg.

I also remember when I was a child my brother woke up early one morning so he could go and drink the calpol. And one time I had a full on meltdown because I wanted a cat and my parents didn't want to get one so my mum gave me some calpol to calm me down (this was 30 odd years ago) then my brother had a meltdown because I got medicine and he didn't.

re Potty training. It's awful and I think the only way to deal with it is to resign yourself to a good chunk of time at home and lots and lots of dirty washing. I've been thinking lately about how time is running out so we have to be sure we don't want more children and the thought of potty training again sealed the deal of nope, definitely done with the childbearing. My daughter was awful to start with but after a few weeks got the hang of it. She won't poo in the toilet though, just at night when she's wearing nappy pants, but she's now taken to pooing then taking the nappy pant off and throwing it into the corner of her room/over the gate. She's had a bug the last few days and last night at some point in the middle of the night did a runny poo, so she took her pyjama bottoms off and presumably went back to lying in her now poo poo covered bed for the rest of the night before coming up this morning to get into our bed. Children are so awful.

hookerbot 5000 fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Mar 17, 2016

maporfic
Dec 11, 2015
I think my kid is faking being sick to get out of going to school. He's a good kid, but I fear he is starting to really hate school. He's in 7th grade. We want education to be important to our children, what might we do to turn this situation around?

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe

maporfic posted:

I think my kid is faking being sick to get out of going to school. He's a good kid, but I fear he is starting to really hate school. He's in 7th grade. We want education to be important to our children, what might we do to turn this situation around?

Get to the bottom of why he doesn't want to go to school. My parents are both (retired) 30+ year teachers. I went through a hellacious time in early elementary where I would cry and say I was sick (I did legit feel sick, because I was so anxious) every single day. I cried in school every single day. No one really took into account how losing my aunt, who cared for me after my mom went back to work, every single day, and my grandfather, who I also saw every single day, would affect me. I developed (what I now recognize as) severe separation anxiety--I was convinced my parents were going to get sick and die too. Back then we didn't really have a lot of mental health stuff for kids in the schools so it was just "force her to go" and I don't want to be melodramatic but it really did affect me in a lifelong way.

Maybe talk to his teachers (without his knowledge) and see if there's anything going on? Or his friend's parents? Middle school boys probably wouldn't want to tell mom and dad if they were being bullied or anything... I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

hookerbot 5000 posted:

It's because it's so god drat delicious. My kid develops a limp when he sees the bottle of calpol (UK version of a paracetamol based childrens medicine) and pathetically whispers that a little bit of medicine might help his very sore leg.

I also remember when I was a child my brother woke up early one morning so he could go and drink the calpol. And one time I had a full on meltdown because I wanted a cat and my parents didn't want to get one so my mum gave me some calpol to calm me down (this was 30 odd years ago) then my brother had a meltdown because I got medicine and he didn't.

When I was 3 years old I pushed a chair next to my dad's drawing desk, climbed it and used it to reach the higher shelves in a closet to get the bottle of pills of something like advil/Tylenol. Proceeded to open the childproof cap and downed the bottle.

"Mom, guess what I just haaaaad!"
"What did you have?"
"Those pills you give me when I'm sick :D"
"HOW MANY DID YOU EAT?!?"
"O-o-o-one?"
*queue ER visit to get my stomach pumped*

edit: typo

rgocs fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 17, 2016