Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Have they even addressed it? Is it possible it blew up even earlier, like before Barry started working for the cops, which might explain why he didn't get powers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

My Q-Face posted:

Have they even addressed it? Is it possible it blew up even earlier, like before Barry started working for the cops, which might explain why he didn't get powers?
The show hasn't really addressed this fact, but that's partly because no one in the timeline is even aware that Thawne advanced the particle accelerator's creation by several years ahead of schedule (originally it went up in 2020, but Thawne got it up in 2013.) He's obviously the only one who could know such a detail.

I think the simplest explanation here is that E2 Wells is a genius, maybe even more so than his counterpart (that is to say the original Wells, not Thawne.) He seems to know a lot of things he shouldn't, but I imagine there is more to learn about him.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Thawne's particle accelerator caused a hypertime ripple which caused all the other multiversal particle accelerators to also move earlier. :flashfact:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

My Q-Face posted:

Here's my question. Originally the Particle Accelerator wasn't supposed to go off for another five years, but because Thawne replaced Wells, he set it off five years earlier than the original timeline, how is it that Earth 2's accelerator went off at the same time even though E2 Wells wasn't replaced by E2 Thawne? Or has this been covered? (I skipped the show and the thread after Patty left, just started watching again last week)

If you think about any aspect of this type of parallel universe, it makes no sense. Their history, technology, culture and even geography are different (Atlantis), and yet somehow all the same people were born at the same time so that everyone can meet their duplicate. It's absurd, and the only way to enjoy it is to deliberately not think about any of that.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Tiggum posted:

If you think about any aspect of this type of parallel universe, it makes no sense. Their history, technology, culture and even geography are different (Atlantis), and yet somehow all the same people were born at the same time so that everyone can meet their duplicate. It's absurd, and the only way to enjoy it is to deliberately not think about any of that.

That's pretty much the case in comics, too, isn't it?

I know it is in Red Son (which is awesome, despite that).

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I'd imagine that they handwave it away by saying there are infinite parallel universes and the ones that we can access are just the ones with the *most* similarities because they vibrate closest to the same frequency as ours.

Boom, give me money, Johns.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

No Butt Stuff posted:

I'd imagine that they handwave it away by saying there are infinite parallel universes and the ones that we can access are just the ones with the *most* similarities because they vibrate closest to the same frequency as ours.

Boom, give me money, Johns.

Well, this isn't really far from the truth from what we've seen, apart from the accessing only similar universes (which might be the easier to access). The Supergirl universe doesn't seem to have many if any similarities to Earth-1, and we have at least one universe where Barry looks exactly like his dad.

Earth-2 is just the lazy universe that is more or less the same as Earth-1.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Tiggum posted:

yet somehow all the same people were born at the same time so that everyone can meet their duplicate.

Well, Ollie can't.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The latest episode of Kevin Smith's videocast is a podcast that has discussion of his experience filming The Flash peppered throughout - and taking up roughly the first 20 minutes. His signature stuff is there and he discusses the new Ghostbuster international trailer, the new Civil War trailer, Spider-man etc. with Marc Bernadin but there's some interesting stuff in there I thought some might like regardless, like that the writers essentially run the show, that they have tone meetings with the cast because most directors never watch the show and that he's been told some stuff to do with all but the finale of this season and part of next season (so they're in the middle of sketching them out at least).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

Harry Turtledove announced as new Flash writer. :v:

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

That link doesn't go where you think it goes

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

RareAcumen posted:

I watched four episodes of Supergirl and then quit. When exactly does it get better and do they manage to make flying combat look any better?

It's great now and keeps getting better. The show really takes off once they get past the Martian Manhunter reveal. The most recent one is the best one they've done yet.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ookiimarukochan posted:

That link doesn't go where you think it goes

Strange, no idea why that'd still be in the memory. Regardless, I apologize and meant this

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Which episode is Kevin Smith going to direct and how is he going to stop himself from crying during every single take?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Krad posted:

Which episode is Kevin Smith going to direct and how is he going to stop himself from crying during every single take?

Apparently the May 10 episode.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I believe episode 20 or 21. Kind of surprised they're letting him handle an episode so close to the finale.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It sounds like from his own experience the writers pretty much run things anyway, so it's not like he could drastically muck up characterization or something. I'm not a fan of Smith's directing talents but he should be fine for TV, and the buzz they will get from it would be even better than if they got some super talented TV director.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yea, I'm not a huge fan of the guy (only seen his two Clerks films, only liked one), but I think he's an entertaining host, even if I disagree with him a lot of the time and he'd have to work hard to gently caress up the Flash, even if it was good considering how it's made.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
His Cocknocker fight makes me believe he'll do just fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYJFzOzpwHo

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Barry travels back in time to the night he first used his powers and reveals he pissed himself.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

tsob posted:

Yea, I'm not a huge fan of the guy (only seen his two Clerks films, only liked one), but I think he's an entertaining host, even if I disagree with him a lot of the time and he'd have to work hard to gently caress up the Flash, even if it was good considering how it's made.

Using "even if" twice in the same sentence smdh

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

mikeraskol posted:

Using "even if" twice in the same sentence smdh

Serves me right for not proof-reading I suppose.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

The Flash returns tonight :D

In other news:

quote:

“I just don’t think it was a good fit,” he told the New York Daily News. “I’m very strict with this universe, and I just don’t see a version where … that (tone is) not our world.”

While the DC Comics films are known for their dark and serious tone, The CW’s superhero series The Flash and Arrow feature more levity.

“Even if Grant Gustin is my favorite guy in the world and he’s very good, we made a commitment to the multi-verse (idea),” Snyder continued, “so it’s just not a thing that’s possible.”

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
So... all of their movies are going to be dark and gritty? Even Shazam?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Honestly I'm kinda looking forward to movie Flash snapping Captain Cold's neck.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Scyantific posted:

Honestly I'm kinda looking forward to movie Flash snapping Captain Cold's neck.

He'll move so fast he snaps necks just going down the street to fight crime.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
If the utterly remorseless murderer TV version of the Flash isn't grimdark enough, what the gently caress is the Flash movie gonna be like? I Spit On Your Grave but really fast?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

MacheteZombie posted:

He'll move so fast he snaps necks just going down the street to fight crime.

Already done that to Zoom in the comics

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Krad posted:

So... all of their movies are going to be dark and gritty? Even Shazam?

I really want to read an actual, unabridged, non-editorialized version of that quote. What we get is “I’m very strict with this universe, and I just don’t see a version where … that (tone is) not our world.” and then the article writer's interpretation of what that means.

I don't think this necessarily means we get a super dark, broody, gritty Flash, this seems like his way of politely blowing off the question about why the CW Flash isn't the movie Flash. Which I think would've been a dumb move anyway, I love the show but it is not very cinematic and I want to see what they do with the special effects, costumes, villains etc. with an actual movie budget. I want to see the movie version of Grodd and Zoom and the Rogues, not the show versions of them slightly enhanced for the movie.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That's just his nice way of saying you can't build a movie off a budget b-tier TV show and it's star.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah basically

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
That just reads like a diplomatic way to say "I'm not letting some dude from a TV show that regularly gets beaten in the ratings by Pretty Little Liars taint my movie"

efb :negative:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Instead here's that guy from that movie you probably only know about because you follow Emma Watson you weird creep.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Soothing Vapors posted:

That just reads like a diplomatic way to say "I'm not letting some dude from a TV show that regularly gets beaten in the ratings by Pretty Little Liars taint my movie"

efb :negative:

Hey!

If it matches the ratings of the episode prior to the break, it will be the highest rated comic book show on network TV this week.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Trailer for the Supergirl/Flash crossover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdr8_IQqT-E

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I love Grant and don't want to disparage his acting skills or the show's ratings but even like Snyder said, even if Grant is the best guy and actor in the world you are going to create weird issues when the movie Flash is not the same guy as the TV show Flash despite being played by the same actor. And I don't want to see the CWDCU on the silver screen, I want a fresh take on the Flash there.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Trailer for the Supergirl/Flash crossover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdr8_IQqT-E

This looks cool.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

It probably wouldn't have been the easiest thing to do scheduling-wise, either. They're both pretty time-intensive jobs.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Yeah if Grant was picked for the movie, he would undoubtedly not be able to do the show at the same time. And really, I prefer the multi-verse approach to movies and tv because it allows for different stories and creative liberties to be made.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

And eventual crossovers should they make enough money (they probably won't)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

lotus circle posted:

Yeah if Grant was picked for the movie, he would undoubtedly not be able to do the show at the same time. And really, I prefer the multi-verse approach to movies and tv because it allows for different stories and creative liberties to be made.

And really the MCU is only one universe in theory. Even their TV stuff doesn't really crossover that well, at least Agents of SHIELD doesn't (though to be fair I don't think Gotham would really work either).

• Locked thread