Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Night Blade posted:

Guess I need to buy the PC version then. Oh wait, I have a PS4 fightstick.

Can someone dig up the RISE UP gif from a few dozen pages ago? I can't find it.

The Madcatz PS4 sticks and pads got a driver update recently to include native XInput support, so you should be good if you have a MC stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

it was nice of them to accomodate my slow reflexes by simulating being elderly for all players as default

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Turn off V-Sync in SFV and turn it on in the GPU settings right?

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Beautiful Ninja posted:

The Madcatz PS4 sticks and pads got a driver update recently to include native XInput support, so you should be good if you have a MC stick.

I'm surprised, I thought that was coming with the March update.

Thanks for the info.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

for people like me who wanted to understand the technical aspects of this, mike z has been making a bunch of informative posts in the comment section of this article http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/...opening/?page=1

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I like Mike Z a lot but sometimes I wonder why he hates himself so much this is a joke about responding to people in the comments section of a website

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

NecroMonster posted:

I like Mike Z a lot but sometimes I wonder why he hates himself so much this is a joke about responding to people in the comments section of a website

The problem with being an argumentative type of person is that you can't help yourself even when you should just chill.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Night Blade posted:

I'm surprised, I thought that was coming with the March update.

Thanks for the info.

Capcom's DirectInput support is coming in the March update. Madcatz beat them to the punch supporting Xinput, which was already supported by PC SF V. PS4 sticks/pads generally only had DirectInput support, which is considered deprecated on PC in favor of XInput.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

It was really weird how people (reviews) were saying that aside from the flaws, the SFV core gameplay was great. When the first thing I noticed was how sluggish and unresponsive everything felt, which I would consider a pretty big part of "core gameplay." Glad Im not crazy or older than I thought I was, it's just Capcom loving up like they always do.

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

Real hurthling! posted:

it was nice of them to accomodate my slow reflexes by simulating being elderly for all players as default

lmfao.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Dias posted:

The problem with being an argumentative type of person is that you can't help yourself even when you should just chill.

So this is what it feels like... when doves cry

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Capcom's DirectInput support is coming in the March update.

source?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Zand posted:

edit: idk how to help you with your Hard time seeing how sf4 is dead relative to sf2. sf2 pretty much singlehandedly saved arcades in the 90s. they redesigned the sega genesis controller to have 6 buttons just so they could provide a better experience for people wanting to play. both the genesis and the snes had SF bundled consoles that came with 2 controllers.
Uh what the hell is your definition of 'dead' here? That's like saying Star Wars is dead because Star Wars: The Force Awakens hasn't had as much cultural impact as A New Hope. No Star Wars movie is ever going to be as revolutionary or impactful as A New Hope for countless reasons that have nothing to do with the quality of the movie, including that A New Hope was a groundbreaking movie by being the first to do so many things.

Similiarly SF4 was released in a different age from SF2, people now play at home instead of in the arcades which were on the decline, again for reasons that have nothing to do with the quality or popularity of certain arcade games (The Internet exists today and allows tolerable online multiplayer for everyone), and the fighting game scene was all but dead. SF4 singlehandedly resurrected an entire genre. I don't know if you were there in 2007 when the latest noteworthy fighting games to have come out were Melty Blood from '05 and mother loving Capcom Fighting Jam? I was, and it sucked. I remember digging up Breakers Revenge and playing in GGPO because there was just nothing new happening for several years. It was stagnation.

Then SF4 happened and all of a sudden the entire god drat genre is on fire and my friend who never even touched a fighting game is telling me how awesome it was to see Poongko's Seth in EVO. Suddenly game devs realised people will actually buy and play fighting games if they don't suck and if they have acceptable net code. Today you have millions of people playing punchman games online and watching EVO live compared to just a few years before when there were maybe a few hundreds online simultaneously playing aging games on GGPO and Kailerra and besides major tournaments and a few stagnating local scenes that. was. literally. it.

Given the time SF4 was released it literally could not have hit any more milestones than it did. It sold like crazy, it resurrected an entire genre by itself (yes. it did), it spawned SSF4, SSF4AE, USF4, it's still the #1 game being played in EVO and in all fighting game tournaments ever, it resurrected the fight stick market...

And you're complaining about what? That it didn't save arcades in an age where the internet exists? That the XBox doesn't come with a SF branded controller? That it didn't literally invent an entirely new genre like SF2? If your standpoint is that any game not as impactful as SF2 is 'dead' then there have not been a single fighting game that is not dead since then and never will be because that moment in time, when arcades existed and fighting games as a genre literally did not exist and had never been seen before, that moment has passed and will never happen again.

Please define 'dead' here, please explain what, when you first saw the trailer in 2007, what exactly at that time had you expected SF4 to accomplish that it in the end did not. Because I have a hard time seeing how SF4 considering the state of fighting games in 2008 was not the most amazing loving game it could possibly have been when it comes to sales, longevity, expectations, and resurrecting the entire fighting game genre.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 17, 2016

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Bisse posted:

And you're upset about what? That it didn't save arcades in an age where the internet exists? That the XBox doesn't come with a SF branded controller?

no im not really upset about anything at all :gonk: i dont know how you got that I was upset with anything in my post. im just saying that sf4 even at its apex was nothing compared to the juggernaut of SF2, which achieved a a popularity and cultural status in both japan and the USA that SF4 never ever matched, and that SF5 never will. and SF DID in fact die with 3, there is a reason capcom didnt release another main-series sf game for 8 years after sf3:third strike. it died, and then, like you said, sf4 was a resurrection.

quote:

Please define 'dead' here because I have a hard time seeing how SF4 was not the most amazing loving game it could possible have been when it comes to sales, longevity and resurrecting the entire fighting game genre.
im so glad capcom chose to resurrect the genre with a game as fantastic and excellent as sf4 all hail sf4 as the greatest fighter game ever because it Saved the Genre from Complete Devastation

while I don't deny that sf4 resurrected the genre and the scene, i wish it hadn't. i wish it was practically anything other than sf4 that caught on.

fgs were better off dead. id rather have good games again than games that feel like they have to be like SF4 to succeed. "they dont make em like they used to" frfr

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean SF4 is also dead in the sense that Capcom shoved it out the loving door as soon as SFV hit stores so now SFIV is stuck with Super Turbo and Third Strike on being played as side games at tournaments and main games during gimmick tournaments like whatever the Third Strke one is.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Unrelated to the current discussion but it's amazing to me how fun and exciting NLBC can make SF5 look and then how incredibly uninteresting WNF manages to make it look mere hours later. I guess that might have something to do with the 10-15 minute breaks between matches on the WNF stream though.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Zand posted:

im so glad capcom chose to resurrect the genre with a game as fantastic and excellent as sf4 all hail sf4 as the greatest fighter game ever because it Saved the Genre from Complete Devastation

while I don't deny that sf4 resurrected the genre and the scene, i wish it hadn't. i wish it was practically anything other than sf4 that caught on.

fgs were better off dead. id rather have good games again than games that feel like they have to be like SF4 to succeed. "they dont make em like they used to" frfr
I don't love the gameplay either! It's fun but at high level play it devolves into vortexes, 50/50 mixups, crouch techs and in general just set-plays essentially.

But you know what I love? Having people to play fighting games with. That we got a new MvC. That Skullgirls is even a thing even though I personally think the game sucks. That there are like 10 posts a day on shoryuken.com rather than 2-3 posts a year. That this thread exists and has people post 5 pages a day.

Try to separate the fact that you dislike SF4's gameplay from the fact that it resurrected the entire genre. You can complain about how boring it is but today you have hundreds of other fresh fighting games to play instead because of it. SF is very much alive, not dead. To be perfectly clear it is the sole reason we are sitting here arguing about punch-a-mans-in-the-toes-from-4-feet-distance games on the internet today. You can hate the game and still be appreciative of what it accomplished.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 17, 2016

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Unrelated to the current discussion but it's amazing to me how fun and exciting NLBC can make SF5 look and then how incredibly uninteresting WNF manages to make it look mere hours later. I guess that might have something to do with the 10-15 minute breaks between matches on the WNF stream though.

Massive breaks between matches is the eSports way, eventually we'll have Dota-ish analyst desks and panels talking about the matches for longer than they took to play out. Better kill yourself now to avoid this grim future.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
SF4 owns

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Bisse posted:

Uh what the hell is your definition of 'dead' here? That's like saying Star Wars is dead because Star Wars: The Force Awakens hasn't had as much cultural impact as A New Hope. No Star Wars movie is ever going to be as revolutionary or impactful as A New Hope for countless reasons that have nothing to do with the quality of the movie, including that A New Hope was a groundbreaking movie by being the first to do so many things.

SFV has sold next to gently caress all, that's a pretty good way of defining "dead"

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Chocolate Teapot posted:

SFV has sold next to gently caress all, that's a pretty good way of defining "dead"

It's getting six out of ten reviews everywhere as well. That's pretty much the death knell of anything. Not even polarizing, just meh.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Chocolate Teapot posted:

They'll probably hit 1M sold by the end of the month (Steam alone is at 135k now). That's well below expectations but not "gently caress all".

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's not 12 million day 1 like fallout 4, so it's dead

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There should be a rule in games where if you start discussing sales figures the thread is gassed immediately

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Zand posted:

fgs were better off dead.

Hey at least this'd make a pretty good name change later. Everyone would still know who you were.

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY

edit: this is not an empty quote

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I hate Rashid. I have no idea what to do against him

Also I was playing a friend's gief and we discovered that if gief tries a jump in and I try to AA him with a cannon spike... he grab me right out of it with his air SPD. We were both kind of amazed and I was like "yeah lol you know what, I'm just gonna put the stick down and walk away now"

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 17, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Gammatron 64 posted:

what do you play?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

what do you play?

A very scrubby Cammy.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also I was playing a friend's gief and we discovered that if gief tries a jump in and I try to AA him with a cannon spike... he grab me right out of it with his air SPD. We were both kind of amazed and I was like "yeah lol you know what, I'm just gonna put the stick down and walk away now"

This, but with me playing a scrubbo Karin against Nash. He's got a surprising amount of mobility and I have a hard time getting in close without being subjected to his strong aerial game.

I have a decent track record against Rashids so far because a lot of them seem to love that horizontal flying kick move from across the screen, which is incredibly punishable.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Double Bill posted:

They'll probably hit 1M sold by the end of the month (Steam alone is at 135k now). That's well below expectations but not "gently caress all".
In the context of a company that is being crushed under the weight of its own lovely business decisions, the numbers on SFV by the end of the fiscal year are utterly catastrophic.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

This, but with me playing a scrubbo Karin against Nash. He's got a surprising amount of mobility and I have a hard time getting in close without being subjected to his strong aerial game.

I have a decent track record against Rashids so far because a lot of them seem to love that horizontal flying kick move from across the screen, which is incredibly punishable.

I dunno what you'd do for Nash as Karin. The trick to beating his moonsault is to beat it on startup with a DP or something instead of on block due to its huge advantage on block. Karin kinda has to spend meter to get something like a DP and it's mostly mean to be a reversal and doesn't go too far so I dunno if that would work...

I feel like a lot of the design choices for moves are really weird in this game. In most other games, Nash's moonsault would probably be minus on block and hilariously unsafe.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nash destroys me as a Karin. It seems like everything he does is + or out of range of any of my punishes. Maybe I just played a good Nash the one time I didn't match against a Ken or Ryu.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

I dunno what you'd do for Nash as Karin. The trick to beating his moonsault is to beat it on startup with a DP or something instead of on block due to its huge advantage on block. Karin kinda has to spend meter to get something like a DP and it's mostly mean to be a reversal and doesn't go too far so I dunno if that would work...

I feel like a lot of the design choices for moves are really weird in this game. In most other games, Nash's moonsault would probably be minus on block and hilariously unsafe.

Nash's moonsault is safe on block because it's really easy to interrupt with a standing normal. It doesn't become active until very late and I don't think it has any true block strings. You just have to remember that crouching against it is a bad look.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

S.J. posted:

Turn off V-Sync in SFV and turn it on in the GPU settings right?

can't turn off v-sync on ps4 though, the tournament standard you're gonna be stuck with. Ever gone online after only playing offline for a long time? It's the loving worst.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Gammatron 64 posted:

Moonsault is basically a slightly worse version of sf4 jaguar kick tho

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jmcrofts posted:

It's more than slightly worse, every character in sf4 couldn't put you in a float state on crush counter, and Jaga kii would flat out beat the majority of buttons. It was faster, too, and allowed for even more shenanigans.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

Yeah, I think it mostly looks intimidating because of the big slash energy effect. I see stuff like that and almost think it's a projectile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Moonsault is also very picky about what side of the opponent it lands on. In many cases you can react to it by taking a tiny step forward and Nash will land harmlessly behind you, open to a big whiff punish. It's only +1 on block too, Nash's only true reversal is super and he has no 3 frame attacks so you can stick out a 3 frame light and the worst you'll catch is a trade. Basically the moral is nothing in SFV is real.