Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Tatum Girlparts posted:

For me that hit me as like, probably the part that came from the most racist place there. At least 'dinnertimin' and poo poo is like, ok someone clearly thought they were being hip or whatever, but they have never actually spoken to a black person before.

"No tipping" feels like there was a meeting and they went around saying 'ok so what does the black community look for in a place to eat' and fuckin crazy racist fred shouted out "THE BLACKS DON'T TIP"

The ad became HOT CONTENT for 101 clickbait sites, though I originally found it in an actual article about the history of minority marketing. Despite the obvious missteps, black models were no longer being underrepresented in commercials by the end of the 70s. Make what you will of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

je1 healthcare posted:

The ad became HOT CONTENT for 101 clickbait sites, though I originally found it in an actual article about the history of minority marketing. Despite the obvious missteps, black models were no longer being underrepresented in commercials by the end of the 70s. Make what you will of that.

Honestly stuff like this is an interesting kinda push pull thing. You can find it in almost every media. Around this time we did sure as hell see a lot more minority actors, models, performers, all that stuff being represented...but almost always being written/managed/what have you by white people who kinda didn't know what they were doing. It created this really weird atmosphere where you had everything from straight up 'AAAA ALL I KNOW IS STEREOTYPES BUT I NEED A BLACK' to stuff like this where this was so obviously some dude genuinely trying. It was that really weird transitional period between 'we literally will ban you from entering this building if you're darker than a paper bag' and 'oh, well poo poo I guess you're human beings too and thus we should try to sell to you...'

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Junior Jr. posted:

That's not my point, I'm just summarising what she's doing right now. Honestly, I don't care what she's up to. I got bored of her months ago.

If you wanted to make fun of something that Anita did recently, that photo of her from Paste Magazine would be more appropriate for ridicule.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

If I claim to not care then I retroactively wasn't wrong.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Personally, I wish more people would talk about cool historical characters that aren't well-known, especially female ones.

For instance, not enough people talk about Jeanne of Navarre, ruling Queen of her kingdom, leader of the french Protestant movement and mother to Henri IV (who obviously learned a lot from his mother).

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I'll continue to support Anita in her endeavors. I feel that by doing so it will cause the best griefs and tears from horrid people, so by my desire for grief she's the best way that also sides with my morals. That being that internet nerds are jerks.

Plus the whole "respect her for flashing a spotlight on the endemic problems of the gaming industry". I hope she continues to analyze games in the future, if only so her image as the internet boogeyman continues to persist.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I hope Anita moves on to become a full-time troller of Reddit, making videos explaining why Bitcoin is a scam and why Tesla wasn't worthy to sniff Edison's jockstrap.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

echopapa posted:

I hope Anita moves on to become a full-time troller of Reddit, making videos explaining why Bitcoin is a scam and why Tesla wasn't worthy to sniff Edison's jockstrap.

The thing is she literally does not need to do anything except exist. No matter what she does she's gonna piss off the right-wing Reddit sorts and it's absolutely hilarious.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Tracula posted:

The thing is she literally does not need to do anything except exist. No matter what she does she's gonna piss off the right-wing Reddit sorts and it's absolutely hilarious.
I can't imagine the bitcoiners are aware enough to know she exists without being directly provoked. That's one of the lovely parts of being in a cult, lack of contact with the outside world.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

echopapa posted:

Is that really a thing? Do people on Reddit really have arguments about Tesla vs. Edison?

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Tracula posted:

Because people in general explode about everything. She just can't be generally well meaning with a good core point damaged by how generally surface level and cherry picked most of her research seems to be. No it's clear she is out to DESTROY TEH VIDYAS.

Han Solo being edited to not shooting first isn't merely a bad idea from a billionaire guy who doesn't understand his own work or apparently human beings in general it's RAPING OUR CHILDHOODS.

Furries and Bronies aren't merely creepy people sharing too much of their fetishes with the rest of us but instead ARMY OF ANIMAL AND CHILDFUCKERS WORSE THAN THE SUBWAY CREEP.

And so on and so forth. It's why thanks to net reviewers I am clearly playing a digital abomination because Spoony lost his goddamned shot over Ultima 9 because LOL WHATS A PALADIN LOL is apparently all anyone knows about the loving game in spite of the Ultima fanbase being more devoted to fixing as much as they can about these old games than say the Final Fantasy fanbase which seems more obsessed with everyone getting raped. Even the Chocobos.

Everything has to be worst thing ever or best thing ever and nothing in between and anyone disagreeing is clearly an evil monstrous enemy and you are a bad person if you bought Game Console X.

People just seem to have no concept of nuance. Stuff is more " Yes, BUT.." or " No, HOWEVER.." than this idiotic and simplistic line of thinking folks love doing. People love the Drama Llama and hate thinking for themselves.

And I guess a lot of the Internet Reviewer Circuit fits this. Lots of them freaking out over silly poo poo mostly for comedic effect taken as to be serious and gospel by most people.

You see this IRL which is why AM radio in the US is mostly full of whackadoodle pundits who rage about everything the other side is doing even if it's poo poo their side did a couple years ago.

People just love to fit in and groupthink ideological purity gets enforced as a result. Sometimes it's just stupid harmless nonsense raging about other stupid harmless nonsense. Other times it is much much worse. :smith:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Basically Cracked and Reddit mythologized Edison's conflicts of interests with Tesla to the point where it's practically sanctified.

I'm not well versed in inventor history/politics, so outside of knowing that Tesla is the nerd cargo cult Jesus, I got nothing.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Annointed posted:

Basically Cracked and Reddit mythologized Edison's conflicts of interests with Tesla to the point where it's practically sanctified.

I'm not well versed in inventor history/politics, so outside of knowing that Tesla is the nerd cargo cult Jesus, I got nothing.

Well Edison really did gently caress over Tesla because Edison has a long history of being an evil, thieving gently caress.

People also tend to take Tesla's claims to have invented all kinds of crazy bullshit in his mind as fact, though. Claiming he figured out wireless electricity decades ago but just didn't write it down is already kind of a stretch, but people honestly believe he came up with death rays and poo poo.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Annointed posted:

There was a video done by Cracked detailing on how Tesla was way more appreciated in his life and didn't need such a movement and how stupid people are for thinking he died as a weird penniless ignored virgin while an advert with a Cracked shirt of him as Thor advertised with that description flashed on the same page.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Well Edison really did gently caress over Tesla because Edison has a long history of being an evil, thieving gently caress.

People also tend to take Tesla's claims to have invented all kinds of crazy bullshit in his mind as fact, though. Claiming he figured out wireless electricity decades ago but just didn't write it down is already kind of a stretch, but people honestly believe he came up with death rays and poo poo.

Yeah I am well aware of Edison being a thieving gently caress and the quintissential example of the patent wars that underly the bright eyed inventor youths.

So it's less about the theft and more into fantastical poo poo that Tesla would literally have unable to be made at the time?

Don't get me wrong, people should not celebrate a man who made his riches off the backs of inventors and left them to information darkness. At the same token though I feel that the general nerd worship of Tesla is simply ridiculous.

EDIT: Cracked really doesn't get media alot. gently caress some of their writers seem to get their writing tips from TvTropes. O also dislike their fanboyism of Theodore Roosevelt. Yes he beat asthma, he also helped bust up monopolies, he also instilled multiple banana republics. Good to know you support an imperialist who supports dictators for someone else's bottom line.

Plus anything James Cameron related is just eye rolling. Even the comments are formulaic, gimmick account, pointing out the endless factual inaccuracies, and apologetics.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Mar 17, 2016

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I found out about Tesla via The Oatmeal, so take that for what you will.

Tesla had some bad points (he was a proponent of eugenics), but I think it is sad that he is (or at least was) largely unknown despite his contributions. The reason he's probably so big within 'nerd culture' is because he's sort of a real-life mad scientist.

I don't know that much about Edison, but I remember reading recently that one of the main reasons Hollywood exists was to escape restrictions the Edison had set on film and its patents.

Also I like that we were joking about Reddit arguing about inventors, and now we're doing just that.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Eh I think it's less arguing and more clearing up a few things. Plus it's alot more interesting and fun that learning how every other reviewer turns out to be awful.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Max Wilco posted:

Tesla had some bad points (he was a proponent of eugenics)

Pre-Holocaust I don't think that's much of a character flaw-wrong, of course, but not overly lovely as opposed to later on when eugenics became solely the domain of assholes.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Tesla was the kind of guy that's insufferable in real life, but would make for a popular character in a TV show where his :spergin: can be made sexy and cool. Edison was indeed a grade-A rear end in a top hat, so it kinda slots into Internet's Nikola Cumberbatch fantasy.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Forgive me if this sounds too presumptuous, but I think you should support Anita because she does good work, not because you want to troll assholes, because how does that help anyone?
Being contrarian just for the sake of it is always lovely, always. It's the kind of poo poo #TheTriggering was made out of, and it's the kind of poo poo that asshat libertarians use Voltaire to justify. Antagonistic acculturation is a problem that affects all sides of the political spectrum, where opposing sides force one another to adopt an identity as close to the absolute negation of their aggressor as possible (oftentimes becoming sick parodies of themselves by embracing the hyperbolic strawmen that they're erroneously and unjusty cast as). It just leads to heightened tensions, scapegoating (as we can see with Anita, who MRA's have inexplicably latched onto as their nemesis), and a perversion of any aspect of sense or empathy that either side could've had.
If you want to troll because it's funny, go ahead, but please do not pretend it's for some greater cause, because it literally never advances anything. Like, Hbomb's videos are fantastic and I love them to death, but they're also kinda provocative spectacles in their own right. There's no real dialogue there, of course - at least, nothing that could convince MRA's that they're wrong; just plenty of stuff to further incense the people who are already frustrated with Skull Man and his ilk. But to his credit, Hbomb seems to know this, and engages people like Jordan Owens in a manner that's surprisingly intellectual and sensitive - more so than we might think they deserve.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think I am starting to realize that there's something medically wrong with Jordan Owen that makes him that way, and that he is pitiable and not just scum.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Annointed posted:

O also dislike their fanboyism of Theodore Roosevelt. Yes he beat asthma, he also helped bust up monopolies, he also instilled multiple banana republics. Good to know you support an imperialist who supports dictators for someone else's bottom line.

He was one of the few rich politicians who actually gave a poo poo about poor people. He was one of the first reform presidents out there. Was he perfect? No, he did start the legacy of the US loving around with the governments of Central and South America. However, he also helped stop the Russo-Japanese War. He also gave a poo poo about the environment and tried to preserve as much as he could. The legacies of all presidents have black marks, but Teddy did a lot to help people at the time.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Name a president who didn't try to make some banana republics. Don't forget Iraq!

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
This is kinda random, but what's the status of Chez Apocalypse, is it still an entity? Is the website still coming sometime between now and the heatdeath of the universe? I know most of the producers are still doing stuff, but I can't remember if they're still branding with the logo and stuff.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

WickedHate posted:

Pre-Holocaust I don't think that's much of a character flaw-wrong, of course, but not overly lovely as opposed to later on when eugenics became solely the domain of assholes.

Except that in the US there were thousands of people sterilized against their will due to eugenics. It wasn't only the Nazis who acted on it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

hopeandjoy posted:

Except that in the US there were thousands of people sterilized against their will due to eugenics. It wasn't only the Nazis who acted on it.

Farily certain this happened in Alberta as well. But Canadians see Emily Murphy solely as the champion of women's rights and tend to omit her eugenics advocacy when discussing her in high school

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Condemning people retrospectively is not a very worthwhile task. Centuries from now, we will be called ignorant pieces of poo poo because we were against same-sex human/horse marriage or something. Values tend to change, which is mostly a good thing. But they change endlessly.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

WickedHate posted:

do you think to yourself from time to time "know what, I haven't completely loving embarrassed myself lately, better go fix that" and that's how we get posts like this

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

hopeandjoy posted:

Yeah, but how many chances did he really have to understand how bad it was? It's a lot easier for us to say eugenics sucks because we're fully educated on how much it sucks.

PiedPiper posted:

Condemning people retrospectively is not a very worthwhile task. Centuries from now, we will be called ignorant pieces of poo poo because we were against same-sex human/horse marriage or something. Values tend to change, which is mostly a good thing. But they change endlessly.

Man, I got so much poo poo for saying the same thing.

emeriin
Feb 1, 2015
Regarding Chez, Lindsay's said Maker hosed them over and that they wasted five months waiting for them to do the redesign, but now they're doing it themselves.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Hitler/Eugenics out of nowhere

BINGO! I got internet bingo! :dance:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Skeleton feminazi MRA marxist nazi Hitler Stalin queer homophobia

There, you should win like the grand prize for getting a whole card filled now

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Jsor posted:

Skeleton feminazi MRA marxist nazi Hitler Stalin queer homophobia

There, you should win like the grand prize for getting a whole card filled now

You forgot "reverse racism"!

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I said the things I said because I am simoly tired of how the internet has a tendency of leaving behind certain inconvenient truths when it clashes with expectations.

Plus I feel that the trolling is the bonus, not the main reason to support her. Most of the feminism 101 she's done hasn't been explored before and often times it ends with developers saying "we never considered that before, we'll keep that in mind when we develop games". That is an actual positive force of good that I support wholly.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Genetic Toaster posted:

You forgot "reverse racism"!
Cultural Marxism. :argh:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Todd just uploaded a review of Bieber's Sorry, catch it quick before ContentID gets it!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Todd just uploaded a review of Bieber's Sorry, catch it quick before ContentID gets it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kyxiH3y4x8

Surprised it's still up actually.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Personally, I wish more people would talk about cool historical characters that aren't well-known, especially female ones.

For instance, not enough people talk about Jeanne of Navarre, ruling Queen of her kingdom, leader of the french Protestant movement and mother to Henri IV (who obviously learned a lot from his mother).

Check out 'badass of the week'. Site looks through a list of historical badasses of both genders. One of my favorites is St. Olga of Kiev.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Archer666 posted:

Check out 'badass of the week'. Site looks through a list of historical badasses of both genders. One of my favorites is St. Olga of Kiev.

St. Olga is the definition of a woman who doesn't give a gently caress. Her "four revenges" against Drevlians are some George R. R. Martin-level of crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Archer666 posted:

St Olga loving ruled, Machiavelli and all have nothing on her legacy of 'you killed my husband and kid, I'm going to wipe you from the face of the earth now'.

quote:

Now Olga gave to each soldier in her army a pigeon or a sparrow, and ordered them to attach by thread to each pigeon and sparrow a piece of sulfur bound with small pieces of cloth. When night fell, Olga bade her soldiers release the pigeons and the sparrows. So the birds flew to their nests, the pigeons to the cotes, and the sparrows under the eaves. The dove-cotes, the coops, the porches, and the haymows were set on fire. There was not a house that was not consumed, and it was impossible to extinguish the flames, because all the houses caught on fire at once. The people fled from the city, and Olga ordered her soldiers to catch them. Thus she took the city and burned it, and captured the elders of the city. Some of the other captives she killed, while some she gave to others as slaves to her followers. The remnant she left to pay tribute.

• Locked thread