Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

PuTTY riot posted:

did pa do medicaid expansion

We are now, but we rejected it initially because we had a shitbag 2010 republican governor.

Also today I learned that we've lost $771m on ACA since 2014. I wonder how they calculated that.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
cls: still not over dst wtf

Apr 7, 2003

I wonder if that number just covers direct expenses and claims and the like, or if they're doing that dirty thing most companies do where they include opportunity costs (what we think we could have made with that money if we weren't spending it on this).

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

cjs: had to do a thing i hadn't done before so i read the documentation we had

it turned out to be out of date and incorrect

serves me right for bothering to read the instructions! :newlol:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
this neighborhood is going to hell. a local park just got shuttered and is now being dug out for condos and a working class art studio for shuttered, again probably for "mixed use condos" which will house only the children of the wealthy and their overpriced unsustainable businesses

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Citizen Tayne posted:

I wonder if that number just covers direct expenses and claims and the like, or if they're doing that dirty thing most companies do where they include opportunity costs (what we think we could have made with that money if we weren't spending it on this).

loving obama

Apr 7, 2003

Al! posted:

this neighborhood is going to hell. a local park just got shuttered and is now being dug out for condos and a working class art studio for shuttered, again probably for "mixed use condos" which will house only the children of the wealthy and their overpriced unsustainable businesses

Nineties - early 00s Manhattan was the model. Shut out normal people and make all the "decemt" areas into playground city theme parks for people who can afford the price of admission.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Al! posted:

we had a rly cool candy shop on the square or whatever and its closing cause rent is too much now. im sure another clothing boutique or another lovely bar will replace it

Apr 7, 2003

PuTTY riot posted:

loving obama

When a pharma company says it costs them $1b to bring a drug to market, half that is "money we would have made with the other $500b if we'd have stuck it in a magic money making box instead of spending it on drug development"

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Citizen Tayne posted:

When a pharma company says it costs them $1b to bring a drug to market, half that is "money we would have made with the other $500b if we'd have stuck it in a magic money making box instead of spending it on drug development"

ask your doctor about bonertivia today

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Hnldf3z4bY

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

SO DEMANDING posted:

hey, remember in the last thread when you called yourself lower-middle-class?
i had the privilege to be able to attend uni, something that most lower class people would not be able to afford to do

so i didn't really want to take away from their plight by saying "oh I'm so poor even though I have all this great stuff going for me that will make my life better in the future"

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

PuTTY riot posted:

ask your doctor about bonertivia today

im not that kind of doctor

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
oh my god

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Al! posted:

that's lovely; parks are good :(

also recreation

Apr 7, 2003

Al! posted:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2500-Smallman-St-STE-1-Pittsburgh-PA-15222/2099888843_zpid/

This used to be a public produce market and isn't even built yet.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
make america great again

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Eligible 4 School & City Act 42 Tax Abatements

Apr 7, 2003

Remember when the CEO of Bayer responded to complaints from the Indian government about the high price of a drug by saying "this drug isn't for you people?" That guy was the CEO of my old company. Lol

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
cls: back hurts. need a chiropractor or something like this

Apr 7, 2003

PuTTY riot posted:

Eligible 4 School & City Act 42 Tax Abatements

Why should I have to pay taxes for services I don't use? *fart*

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Citizen Tayne posted:

Why should I have to pay taxes for services I don't use? *fart*

If you purchase or build a new home or make home improvements on your home in the City of Pittsburgh your Allegheny County, City of Pittsburgh and District School taxes can be abated for 3 years. If the home is located within a Targeted Growth Zone, your City of Pittsburgh, and School District taxes can be abated for ten (10) years after the property is reassessed.

ffs

Apr 7, 2003

Oh my god. He said it. Our president:

"We're moving from a homogenous system using Teradata to a heterogenous system using Hadoop. We need to move away from rows and columns and towards big data."

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
gimme tha 'doop gimme tha 'doop

Apr 7, 2003

PuTTY riot posted:

If you purchase or build a new home or make home improvements on your home in the City of Pittsburgh your Allegheny County, City of Pittsburgh and District School taxes can be abated for 3 years. If the home is located within a Targeted Growth Zone, your City of Pittsburgh, and School District taxes can be abated for ten (10) years after the property is reassessed.

ffs

The people buying those properties do not give a gently caress about PPS, because they're sending their kids to Winchester Thurston anyway. PPS is at a crossroads and it ain't looking good.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Citizen Tayne posted:

The people buying those properties do not give a gently caress about PPS, because they're sending their kids to Winchester Thurston anyway. PPS is at a crossroads and it ain't looking good.

ensuring that any property appreciating in assessment value isn't taxed is a great way to do that. lol. thats straight up evil.

Apr 7, 2003

The hipster urbanism trend going on right now has done fuckall for shared urban environments, because "new urban pioneers" essentially carve out their own gated communities and shut everyone else out.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Citizen Tayne posted:

"We're moving from a homogenous system using Teradata to a heterogenous system using Hadoop. We need to move away from rows and columns and towards big data."

thanks obama

Apr 7, 2003

Also when did "homogeneous" stop being pronounced as homogeneous and start being pronounced "homo genius"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Citizen Tayne posted:

Also when did "homogeneous" stop being pronounced as homogeneous and start being pronounced "homo genius"

i think there's a difference between homogenous and homogeneous

Homogeneous means (1) of the same or similar nature, and (2) uniform in structure or composition. Its corresponding noun is homogeneity. Homogenous, whose corresponding noun is homogeny, is a little-used biological term whose old sense has mostly been lost. Today, it’s primarily a variant of homogeneous in general usage, though it still has uses in science, where spelling it any other way would be considered an error.

Though some careful nonscientific writers continue to try to keep the words separate, it is a lost cause in popular usage. And the change is not new; people have been using homogenous in place of homogeneous throughout the English-speaking world for at least a century, and homogenous is now several times more common than homogeneous outside scientific writing, so trying to preserve the distinction is probably a losing battle.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Citizen Tayne posted:

dont sign your posts

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Im the homo genius

Apr 7, 2003

prefect posted:

i think there's a difference between homogenous and homogeneous

Homogeneous means (1) of the same or similar nature, and (2) uniform in structure or composition. Its corresponding noun is homogeneity. Homogenous, whose corresponding noun is homogeny, is a little-used biological term whose old sense has mostly been lost. Today, it’s primarily a variant of homogeneous in general usage, though it still has uses in science, where spelling it any other way would be considered an error.

Though some careful nonscientific writers continue to try to keep the words separate, it is a lost cause in popular usage. And the change is not new; people have been using homogenous in place of homogeneous throughout the English-speaking world for at least a century, and homogenous is now several times more common than homogeneous outside scientific writing, so trying to preserve the distinction is probably a losing battle.

hosed up

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Excessive Puns Could Indicate Brain Damage
AMERICAN VOICES
March 17, 2016
Vol 52 Issue 10 Opinion

A recent neurological paper explained the phenomenon of witzelsucht, or joke addiction, wherein patients who have suffered damage to the frontal lobe of the brain spout an excess of puns and off-color jokes. What do you think?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

prefect posted:

Excessive Puns Could Indicate Brain Damage
AMERICAN VOICES
March 17, 2016
Vol 52 Issue 10 Opinion

A recent neurological paper explained the phenomenon of witzelsucht, or joke addiction, wherein patients who have suffered damage to the frontal lobe of the brain spout an excess of puns and off-color jokes. What do you think?

I need this source for a friend

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tusen Takk posted:

I need this source for a friend

http://www.theonion.com/americanvoices/excessive-puns-could-indicate-brain-damage-52578

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Citizen Tayne posted:

he took deep dive into disruptions caused by gridded data

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

the trump tutelage posted:

Yeah Marco what, what a surprise
Get ya sumn' make Rubio close both of his eyes
All my voters gettin' MAGA capitalize
Die little Cuban guy, we on the rise
Everything the Donald touch platinumize
Fully equipped, you know we come wit' every hat size
Got big hands, and I'ma show Megyn my size
If she spreadin' any Trumpmode primary lies
Me and my voters be comin' through stumpin' you out
Airhorn any and everything you talkin' about
See you in the rally, now we walkin' you out
Shoulda' thought twice 'fo you went and opened your mouth
Yo, anyway we stay keepin' it movin'
Fuckin' with the wrong movement, hope you know what you doin'
Now blame Jeb! all the establishment's lame
It's not a game, tweetin' names and still breakin' your claims

Y'all voters had enough?
Gimme some more
Y'all voters want the pledge poo poo?
Gimme some more
Yo Mex where the wall at?
Gimme some more
I know ya'll voters want that
Gimme some more
Even though I'm gettin delegates you can
Gimme some more
With the hype and the big wins
Gimme some more
Everybody vote Trump
Gimme some more
If you want me let me hear you say
Gimme some more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PuTTY riot posted:

ffs
idgi

• Locked thread