Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Traverse seems a lot like GSZ when it has delirium on, actually. It doesn't work with Dryad Arbor but the fact that it can fetch any creature or land may open up some new possibilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The bar for a 6 mana walker to be playable is Elspeth and this current Chandra and I don't think Sorin is as good as either... Also I guess we aren't getting a 1 mana dork ever again.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Sorin seems like a good control finisher. Probably only for standard, if control exists.

I miss 1cmc mana dorks so bad

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The new Sorin, the new Jace and Ob Nix are pretty much the same walker... Boring.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
Sorin seems bad. For six I want my PWs to do sometHing like Elspeth. Thisdraws a card sort of?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I like Sorin, good +1 except it doesn't protect him in any way, but it a BW deck can play the long game he's extremely powerful. 6 mana though, it's going to depend if the format is slow enough. BW gets some amazing removal though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Jace is a 12 point life swing :confused:

e: aw the second ability doesn't go face, boo. At least he can fight other planeswalkers.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Jace is a 12 point life swing :confused:

Creature or plainswalker.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

The dream is sorin's ult turning on that demonland

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

mcmagic posted:

The new Sorin, the new Jace and Ob Nix are pretty much the same walker... Boring.

lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

I like Sorin, good +1 except it doesn't protect him in any way, but it a BW deck can play the long game he's extremely powerful. 6 mana though, it's going to depend if the format is slow enough. BW gets some amazing removal though.

It's at least worth looking at a BW walkers deck since we have Gideon and this new Sorin now. The mana is there at least.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Sickening posted:

Creature or plainswalker.

But players are planeswalkers! Flavor fail! :argh:

Edit: ^^ And Ob Nix. Lots of other options if the landbase supports a third color, but I might be happy with those guys, token generators and the demon land.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So we're calling it "Reverse Bob Sorin" right?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Stormgale posted:

The dream is sorin's ult turning on that demonland

That's a very win-more dream...

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Between Sigarda's Human Soldiers, demon temple's Human Clerics, and Sorin's Vampire Knights, it looks like creature tokens are going to follow the race/class system from now on, whereas before they only had a race or a class but not both. Wonder what made R&D finally decide that human soldier tokens weren't impossibly complex.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

mcmagic posted:

The bar for a 6 mana walker to be playable is Elspeth and this current Chandra and I don't think Sorin is as good as either... Also I guess we aren't getting a 1 mana dork ever again.

As we make green more about two- and three-drops for the time being, while we have more two-mana mana Elves, I can see a point where we want to shake things up and go back to using one-mana mana Elves for some period of time. It lets players who have only been playing for a few years experience something new and acts as nostalgia for older players. The design of Standard is cyclical, and many things that leave will probably not stay gone forever.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
6 mana to cast him but holy poo poo those are all beefy abilities. DcC seems pretty solid too.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If the -X was some kind of sweeper like Chandra's instead of targeted removal, Sorin would be bananas. As it is I think he's still pretty good and will see play. The +1 is brutal in a grindy stalled game. Card advantage that's actively killing your opponent.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

mcmagic posted:

@realmcmagic
New Sorin is just the same as old Ob Nixilis. Nobody wants to play that. Sad!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

@realmcmagic

Hahaha yessss

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

@realmcmagic

Untrue. I've cast ob nix and I'm sure I'll cast Sorin. The design is just boring.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Entropic posted:

80's Metal Album Cover Sorin

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
In addition to mitigating the downside of discard and self-mill, Drownyard Temple casts Eldrazi. Still looks like garbage though.

edit: speaking of garbage, that Sorin art

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

mcmagic posted:

Untrue. I've cast ob nix and I'm sure I'll cast Sorin. The design is just boring.

@realmcmagic
New Sorin is a very low energy design!

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Entropic posted:

But Bob is a palindrome

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I think he has a place as like a 2-of the BW control deck that Hoogland played. He'll probably kill something and stabilize your life total then provide a clock simply by upticking.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mcmagic posted:

This is accurate for once.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

As cool as it is to hate on mcmagic, it does kinda stick out like a sore thumb that we now have 3 CMC 5+ walkers in a row that all read +1 draw a card, -X remove a dude.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Sickening posted:

Yeah, I definitely think that this land being successful is going to depend on how good secure the wastes is in the meta. An esper deck with jace can get 5 tokens without a problem.

Yeah basically this. I am seeing

Secure the waste
Baby Jace
New Sorin
Reflector Mage
rear end tons of removal
Scary lands
Etc

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

At least it will be great in my BW EDH decks, the +1 and ultimate are nuts.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
BG Delirium looks like it could have legs, provided there's a few more enablers out there. Concoction looks to be the best Delirium aid yet as it gets 2 card types in to your yard, but there's not been much else to ease the hoops you have to jump through.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Yo the art on deathcap is disgusting, but why is that card a rare?

e;

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Of all the dumb things they're trying to do with Standard "Llanowar Elves is too good" is the one that annoys me the most.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

6 mana to cast him but holy poo poo those are all beefy abilities. DcC seems pretty solid too.

Really not big on Sorin's - but he seems like what you want the turn after a wrath.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Nibble posted:

80's Metal Album Cover Sorin

He does look kind of like Danzig on this one.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Yeah, I definitely think that this land being successful is going to depend on how good secure the wastes is in the meta. An esper deck with jace can get 5 tokens without a problem.

If you're able to make that many tokens you're probably better off attacking with those tokens most of the time and giving them Gideon's Emblem than investing 5 in a card that can get blown out by Reflector Mage or by any exiling removal...

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

TheKingofSprings posted:

Really not big on Sorin's - but he seems like what you want the turn after a wrath.

The funny thing is comparing this to Chandra, which is both the wrath and the thing you want the turn after a wrath, on the same card.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

If you're able to make that many tokens you're probably better off attacking with those tokens most of the time and giving them Gideon's Emblem than investing 5 in a card that can get blown out by Reflector Mage or by any exiling removal...

I agree, but at the cost of a land slot you get another line of play that gives you options.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yo the art on deathcap is disgusting, but why is that card a rare?

e;

They just won't print ritual effects anymore will they?

That's actually an insane egg for a Second Sunrise deck though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

yessss

It's not a ritual, really, but it's oneshot ramp in red so it's close enough, even if it's delayed a turn

• Locked thread