Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electromax
May 6, 2007

wyoming posted:

Yeah, to hell with coherent themes and interesting characters.

That post was in response to someone saying "When wondering whether 8+9 will have flashbacks, keep in mind 1-6 did not use flashbacks."

How the heck did you end up way over there? How does a flashback preclude coherency or interesting characters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
It was a comment on new Star Wars doing things different from old Star Wars.... it's not that difficult to follow.

wyoming fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 15, 2016

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Electromax posted:

That post was in response to someone saying "When wondering whether 8+9 will have flashbacks, keep in mind 1-6 did not use flashbacks."

How the heck did you end up way over there? How does a flashback preclude coherency or interesting characters?

It obviously doesn't, but Star Wars has the story structure of fairy tales and old norse sagas, which were very simple in terms of among other things having the sequence of events unfold chronologically

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

chippocrates posted:

I don't know how much flashbacks work for Star Wars. I can't think of any in the OT or PT. Unless it's a force vision like Rey had in VII

Leia's "Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi" recording is, I think, the only not-Force-vision thing that happens in not-real-time.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

homullus posted:

Leia's "Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi" recording is, I think, the only not-Force-vision thing that happens in not-real-time.

Yoda and Obi-Wan watch a recording of Anakin murderizing kids. I can't recall if we see any snippet of it at all or if it's just a shot of them watching an obscured screen though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rey's force vision is the first quasi flashback in all of Star Wars. And it wasn't a flashback .

If they started the next move in a Return of the King opening flashback I think that would work well.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

iSheep posted:

I hope that Han Solo just appears in the new movie without any explanation and nobody remembering that he died in the previous.

It'll turn out like MGSV where Han Solo reprogrammed the victim of a horrible accident to live out his life with his memories while he gets to ride off into the sunset with a cigar and a motorcycle the real falcon.

This was all facilitated by Han's best friend and most loyal servant Chewbacca, who wiped his own memory after to ensure that the secret would be kept until the time was right. Which also explains why Han kept getting excited about the bowcaster.

cheese sandwich fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 16, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

homullus posted:

Yeah, so it's still diegetic. If there was a dream sequence (which Rey's thing kind of was) then it'd also be diegetic because a character is experiencing it. Contrast that with the opening(?) scene of the last Game of Thrones season when we have a flashback without any in-world reason for it.

The Hobbit series actually has both diegetic and non-diegetic examples: in the first film, Bilbo is narrating the fall of the Dwarven Kingdom, whereas in the second film we have a flashback to Thorin and Gandalf meeting without any other context.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5k3X9huWVg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej7GFcOmqC4

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

euphronius posted:

If they started the next move in a Return of the King Two Towers opening flashback I think that would work well where we find out what happened to Anakin/Luke's lightsaber after ESB, by following Luke's hand and the saber as they fall in Cloud City ala Gandalf and the Balrog.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This would - in fact - owen real hard

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

euphronius posted:

This would - in fact - owen real hard

I'm pretty sure at least one of the original drafts of TFA had a montage of the saber making its way to Maz. I recall a scene described as a warlord riding some giant creature into a battle using it.

I wouldnt be surprised if something like that showed up in the next 2 movies.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jerkface posted:

I'm pretty sure at least one of the original drafts of TFA had a montage of the saber making its way to Maz. I recall a scene described as a warlord riding some giant creature into a battle using it.

It never happens. Empire Strikes Back way back had a Darth Vader with ***PET DRAGONS*** on his metal as hell home planet that was covered entirely in lava except for a singular glimmering building that was his home. What could have been.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

It never happens. Empire Strikes Back way back had a Darth Vader with ***PET DRAGONS*** on his metal as hell home planet that was covered entirely in lava except for a singular glimmering building that was his home. What could have been.

Darth Conan of Mars :black101:

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

They actually did consider using that version Vader's castle in TFA for a little while. The design for it eventually became Maz's castle in the film.

I wouldn't be surprised to some elements of the saber montage appear in other things, but probably heavily modified.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Jerkface posted:

So, they're turning Anikan's lightsaber into the Glove of Darth Vader?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

wyoming posted:

So, they're turning Anikan's lightsaber into the Glove of Darth Vader?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVzc20Bm8Xo

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
So who's Laura Dern going to be playing? Ahsoka Tano?

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Chill Penguin posted:

This is a movie I would watch

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Chill Penguin posted:

Not if you're a betting nerd

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Chill Penguin posted:

I would assume Rey's mom.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Red posted:

I would assume Rey's mom.

Not British. (Borat voice)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Chill Penguin posted:

Not British. (Borat voice)

Maybe her grandfather is.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Kylo's mama-san

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
They've been shooting in Dubrovnik for a few days, but we're now starting to see some of the costumes being used:

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/03/new-star-wars-episode-viii-dubrovnik-set-photos-tease-possible-new-police-force/

Edit: Even more, including Finn on a Space Horse:

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/03/dubrovnik-star-wars-episode-viii-filming-has-more-space-horse-and-who-was-on-it-pics-and-more/
http://makingstarwars.net/2016/03/tmz-release-a-ton-of-star-wars-episode-viii-set-photos/

Maybe someone can help me, but I swear that Space Horse looks like something from an unused concept art piece I saw back in the day for one of the films. Not sure if it was for the prequels or original trilogy. I've looked around online and no one seems to be bringing it up, so it must be my imagination.

Teek fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 14, 2016

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Krowley posted:

Darth Conan of Mars :black101:

More like Venus

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Teek posted:

They've been shooting in Dubrovnik for a few days, but we're now starting to see some of the costumes being used:

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/03/new-star-wars-episode-viii-dubrovnik-set-photos-tease-possible-new-police-force/

Edit: Even more, including Finn on a Space Horse:

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/03/dubrovnik-star-wars-episode-viii-filming-has-more-space-horse-and-who-was-on-it-pics-and-more/
http://makingstarwars.net/2016/03/tmz-release-a-ton-of-star-wars-episode-viii-set-photos/

Maybe someone can help me, but I swear that Space Horse looks like something from an unused concept art piece I saw back in the day for one of the films. Not sure if it was for the prequels or original trilogy. I've looked around online and no one seems to be bringing it up, so it must be my imagination.

The NT is shamelessly just thumbing through McQuarries excellent 70's concept art and just putting it directly on the screen to trick your brain into thinking the movie is awesome.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I've seen a few people say that these Episode 8 photos remind them of Episode 2 or 3, and it just supports what I read about Rian Johnson being a fan of those movies.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

The NT is shamelessly just thumbing through McQuarries excellent 70's concept art and just putting it directly on the screen to trick your brain into thinking the movie is awesome.
There's a pretty funny page or two in the Making of Force Awakens book where they spend a month designing new X-Wings then Abrams basically tells them to pack it up and use McQuarrie's original X-Wing concept art instead because it's a lot better

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Cat Machine posted:

There's a pretty funny page or two in the Making of Force Awakens book where they spend a month designing new X-Wings then Abrams basically tells them to pack it up and use McQuarrie's original X-Wing concept art instead because it's a lot better

There is not one good original design in TFA.

Hmm maybe Ren and his saber. But that's it.

I love how the rifle Finn lugs around is basically "generic space laser rifle 1". Awful.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Wank posted:

There is not one good original design in TFA.

Hmm maybe Ren and his saber. But that's it.

I love how the rifle Finn lugs around is basically "generic space laser rifle 1". Awful.
THANK YOU.

On all accounts, but that last one has stuck with me since the first photos.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
they went away from the "old ww2 weapons with bits attached" in force awakens. Some of them are neat, like the new stormtrooper guns, but they're basically a callback anyway

by the way, does anybody know why there was some much focus on chewbaccas gun, and for what purpose?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Because it's this giant cannon but he never really used it in the OT. The joke is just "oh holy poo poo this thing is powerful'

Don't overthink it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I guess to emphasise how powerful Kylo really is to be able to take a shot from it and keep going?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I guess to emphasise how powerful Kylo really is to be able to take a shot from it and keep going?

But also explain why he's weakened in that last fight.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jose Oquendo posted:

Because it's this giant cannon but he never really used it in the OT. The joke is just "oh holy poo poo this thing is powerful'

Don't overthink it.

I need to go back and watch the OT, does Chewie ever fire it? In the Death Star escape in ANH he has a Stormtrooper blaster. Does it fire it at the probe droid in ESB?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I need to go back and watch the OT, does Chewie ever fire it? In the Death Star escape in ANH he has a Stormtrooper blaster. Does it fire it at the probe droid in ESB?

I'm like 99% positive Han is the only one who shoots at the probe droid, but I don't have the movie in front of me to check.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bowcaster/Legends

quote:

Most sources, including Revenge of the Sith, depict bowcasters firing green bolts. However, in The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, Chewbacca's weapon fires red bolts

implies that he does fire it

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.

Last time I watched it, the only time I remember him firing it was on Endor at the escaping speeder while Han was busy getting his rear end kicked.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

I also seem to remember in my old VHS tapes pre-Special Edition that the bowcaster fired green bolts. This is additionally supported by video games like Dark Forces. I know Chewy fires it on Endor for sure at the initial speeder bike chase scene. I can't remember if he had a rifle or not anymore for ESB and I am fairly certain he fires something in ANH but I forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

It was always red.

• Locked thread