Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

SRM posted:

Not in every way; it has vehicles which are neat, and you can punch them with a power fist so hard that they go careening and run someone else over. It also has voices and callouts and taunts in multiplayer and stuff, which was curiously lacking in Space Marine's multiplayer. It's still super, super rough though - it's not even in beta yet. For what it is it's fun, but I can't in all good conscience recommend people go out and buy it til it's a retail release.

I have a feeling its never going to get to that point considering the studio and what I've seen so far, but I appreciate your hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

this still owns

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

In quivering nerd voice ready to cum, to Soviet model caster: one tau with titties

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEGo41443iI

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

SRM posted:

:respek:
Pixel art in Flash makes my wrists want to fall off though

SRM posted:

Because drawing a grid and filling in each pixel with a paintbucket is all I know!

You...what?

What?

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

krushgroove posted:

Someone already asked about FAQs:

Goddamn, I know this guy, used to live in my town. Famous for making FOTM armies, taking them to tournaments, losing and starting again with another FOTM army. Also famous for throwing his models into a wall during games.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Is that sergeant still alive? :ohdear:

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Space Marine pretty much nailed the guns and their feel, in my opinion. Except maybe the Lascannon, which was too much like a Sniper Rifle. But I could see that working, if body shots were also strong enough to wreck your poo poo.

Space Marine owned, and pretty much nailed the feeling of being a space marine (like what the Arkham games did with Batman, or Deus Ex Human Revolution did with RoboCop). I can't get enough of jump-packing around and clowning on dudes with a thunder hammer.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

ANAmal.net posted:

Space Marine owned, and pretty much nailed the feeling of being a space marine (like what the Arkham games did with Batman, or Deus Ex Human Revolution did with RoboCop). I can't get enough of jump-packing around and clowning on dudes with a thunder hammer.

The moment I strapped on the jump-pack I wanted to have it the rest of the game. Feels amazing. Makes me sad the game never got expanded. I would've loved to play in that style as a Tau commander or an Ork warboss. Even Chaos would've been neat to see.

Has anyone here played Fire Warrior? I've heard nothing but bad things about it.

That's a fine job. Do you think Inquisitors sometimes order for their servitors/familiars to have big breasts, regardless of how it makes them look? Just for sillies?

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 17, 2016

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Firewarrior owned when I got it many years ago. It might not hold up control or graphics wise, not sure as I haven't played it recently, but it was a lot of fun.

The story is odd, as you are a single Firewarrior murder machine that easily slays Space Marines, Chaos Marines, and demons, but it is still very fun and iirc, the novelization pokes fun at this and implies that you are blessed by Khorne.

It's not an amazing game, like DOW or SM, but I still enjoyed it. It's the bad B movie of 40k games.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

jadebullet posted:

Firewarrior owned when I got it many years ago. It might not hold up control or graphics wise, not sure as I haven't played it recently, but it was a lot of fun.

The story is odd, as you are a single Firewarrior murder machine that easily slays Space Marines, Chaos Marines, and demons, but it is still very fun and iirc, the novelization pokes fun at this and implies that you are blessed by Khorne.

It's not an amazing game, like DOW or SM, but I still enjoyed it. It's the bad B movie of 40k games.

I played through it two or three years ago. It's... okay. It's very of its time, and it never goes from "pretty okay sometimes" to "good", but the first level where you're in the trenches and there's dudes dying everywhere really nails the 40k feel.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

MrSlam posted:

The moment I strapped on the jump-pack I wanted to have it the rest of the game. Feels amazing. Makes me sad the game never got expanded. I would've loved to play in that style as a Tau commander or an Ork warboss. Even Chaos would've been neat to see.

I really liked the multiplayer they had. Dreadnought mode was fun as hell.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

I really liked the multiplayer they had. Dreadnought mode was fun as hell.

The multiplayer is basically what Eternal Crusade is, and it has tanks.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

SRM posted:

I played through it two or three years ago. It's... okay. It's very of its time, and it never goes from "pretty okay sometimes" to "good", but the first level where you're in the trenches and there's dudes dying everywhere really nails the 40k feel.

I remember enjoying it a lot until the first time I heard a voice over say "You must find a keycard." From that point on the game was only okay, because it felt like I was playing Quake.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Lord Hypnostache posted:

because it felt like I was playing Quake.

Wait, this is a bad thing?

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
COME ON YOU MAGGOTS, DO YOU WANNA LIVE FOREVER?

(man, iphones have great cameras in them these days)

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Fuegan posted:

The multiplayer is basically what Eternal Crusade is, and it has tanks.

Is it? I've never heard anyone say anything good about Eternal Crusade.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I really haven't heard much about Eternal Crusade at all, good or bad.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I'd wait til it's a full game before giving an honest review of it. It's based heavily on the bones of Space Marine but it's still in alpha so it's janky. What's there right now I find pretty fun, but it's not what I'd call ready for primetime.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

SRM posted:

I'd wait til it's a full game before giving an honest review of it. It's based heavily on the bones of Space Marine but it's still in alpha so it's janky. What's there right now I find pretty fun, but it's not what I'd call ready for primetime.

This and the devs have already said there will be no optimizations until Beta...whenever the hell that will be.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Hra Mormo posted:

Wait, this is a bad thing?

Probably not the best comparison, but the point I was trying to make was that I wanted to shoot spacemans with my scifiguns, but the game wanted me to go looking for loving keycards.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Hra Mormo posted:

Goddamn, I know this guy, used to live in my town. Famous for making FOTM armies, taking them to tournaments, losing and starting again with another FOTM army. Also famous for throwing his models into a wall during games.
Oh, so Stanyer, then.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Frobbe posted:

COME ON YOU MAGGOTS, DO YOU WANNA LIVE FOREVER?

(man, iphones have great cameras in them these days)

This is the greatest IG miniature. So utterly useless, but oh so righteous.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

DJ Dizzy posted:

This is the greatest IG miniature. So utterly useless, but oh so righteous.

Yeah, the metal Cadian officers are awesome, one and all.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Probably not the best comparison, but the point I was trying to make was that I wanted to shoot spacemans with my scifiguns, but the game wanted me to go looking for loving keycards.

I get what you mean. Green/Blue/Yellow/Red Keycards are the cheapest way of gating a player in a level. Never mind the fact that you're armed to the teeth with advanced plasteel-melting pulse weaponry and explosives that can turn people to ash and armor into a pile of molten goo, if you don't have the Red Keycard you're not getting through the Red Door. Go kill X amount of the big bad guys until they drop that drat Red Keycard.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the actual best IG mini is whatever guy who put both the power fist and the arm sling on.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Ilor posted:

Oh, so Stanyer, then.

Came to post this, was beaten by someone who doesn't know Stanyer IRL

A good day

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Need some last minute suggestions, went and bought a command squad and realized it is mostly garbage as only the apothecary parts and crux terminatus pads couldn't be easily subbed for parts from the Ultramarine upgrade kit. Any thoughts on how I should make these guys look distinct? Their codex picture is super lame.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Uroboros posted:

Need some last minute suggestions, went and bought a command squad and realized it is mostly garbage as only the apothecary parts and crux terminatus pads couldn't be easily subbed for parts from the Ultramarine upgrade kit. Any thoughts on how I should make these guys look distinct? Their codex picture is super lame.

I think it's just a problem with how many cool options for kits there are now. When that kit came out in 4th edition it was pretty hot stuff; now there's more ornate options for models all over the place, like the Sternguard kit, chapter upgrade sprues, and so on. My command squads have skulls painted on their shoulder pads instead of a tactical arrow or what have you to mark them out as command staff, but that's pretty much all I've got.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

SRM posted:

I think it's just a problem with how many cool options for kits there are now. When that kit came out in 4th edition it was pretty hot stuff; now there's more ornate options for models all over the place, like the Sternguard kit, chapter upgrade sprues, and so on. My command squads have skulls painted on their shoulder pads instead of a tactical arrow or what have you to mark them out as command staff, but that's pretty much all I've got.

Maybe they added them in but there were 5 crux terminatus pads so I plan having that opposite the chapter symbol, but I'm unsure if I should go with ploomed helms.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
My (very WIP) Command Squad are made from odds and ends of a whole bunch of kits:

Legs and torsos are from the new Tactical and Assault squads, helmets and pads are from the Sternguard box and the Ultramarine upgrade sprue and the Apothecary is a 1998 sculpt from the old metal Command squad with some brass etch on his shoulder. They're all veterans so mix and match as much as you want. At the very least you can put the skull on their right pads and paint their helmets white to make them stand out a bit. Squad sergeant gets the plume because he's a vainglorious rear end in a top hat.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

You did a good job here. You got more Ultras to show off that you been hiding? I've kind of already committed to power squatting legs because I don't have a lot of spare assault marine stuff but white or maybe even gold helms would be nice. On the plus side I magnetized the torsos so I can stick them on bikes later so even the legs can be changed.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Nothing too interesting. I've been convinced by a friend to enter a tournament in a couple of weeks so I've been trying to get 1500 points up to a 3 colour minimum. I figure at least then they'll look decent enough to play with and I can go back and detail them at my leisure.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
White helmets denote 1st company if you're a :spergin: like me that might bother you. There's nothing in the Insignium Astartes about honor guard and gold helmets and such since it predates those, but if you did gold helmets it would pretty clearly mark them out as command or honor guard duders.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
White helmets denote veteran status, its just that the 1st company consists entirely of veterans :colbert:

e: 1st company gets white trim.

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 18, 2016

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

MrSlam posted:

I get what you mean. Green/Blue/Yellow/Red Keycards are the cheapest way of gating a player in a level. Never mind the fact that you're armed to the teeth with advanced plasteel-melting pulse weaponry and explosives that can turn people to ash and armor into a pile of molten goo, if you don't have the Red Keycard you're not getting through the Red Door. Go kill X amount of the big bad guys until they drop that drat Red Keycard.

To be fair if any setting is going to have mundane factory doors be "screw you, you aren't blowing this open" strength, it would be 40k. Maybe when Graiah was founded they decided to waste valuable resources by making the doors adamantium for some reason.

Were they actually keycards? I forget. IMO, doors in Warhammer should need giant loving thick-toothed skeleton keys that even a space marine would need to hold in both hands.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
What'd be the best size magnet for Crisis suits? I've decided on doing a small Tau force when I get paid, but my overwhelming indecisiveness on what gear to kit them out with will be the death of me. I'd rather magnetise them up and have the choice of guns than have one set load-out for them.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

adamantium|wang posted:

White helmets denote veteran status, its just that the 1st company consists entirely of veterans :colbert:

e: 1st company gets white trim.

Yeah, basically anyone who gets a white helm is a vet, which means A 2 Ld 9 in the game. Command Squad guys are vets and I assume to become a vet you need to earn terminator honors which is why the crux terminatus is on their shoulder pads. It makes sense that not every get goes to the 1st Company, since a lot of them simply remain squad leaders, captains, command staff, or join the honor guard. I'll give gold helms a try since that is already how you distinguish the company champion.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Another thing you could do is paint all of their helms red, as the Ultramarines do for squad leaders or whatever, then put a clean white stripe down the center ending ar the eye brow ridge for veteran status. I have seen a few helms like that and have always liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

jadebullet posted:

Another thing you could do is paint all of their helms red, as the Ultramarines do for squad leaders or whatever, then put a clean white stripe down the center ending ar the eye brow ridge for veteran status. I have seen a few helms like that and have always liked it.

That is a verteran sergeant helmet afaik. Red for the rank, white for the vet status.

• Locked thread