Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/710480409952436224

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
cjs: got asked to do a thing again that i did last year, went back and looked at my notes and i wrote myself an extremely detailed set of instructions on how to do it again next time, right down to "send an email with this text to these people"

thanks past me

thpe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Property taxes here aren't even that loving onerous, city 8.06 mills school district 9.84 mills County 4.73 mills and a Carnegie Library tax of 0.25 mills. Everything is under-assessed, my house is assessed at $68000 which becomes $53000 after the homestead exemption. I pay under $700 a year.

http://pittsburghpa.gov/finance/property-tax-worksheet

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

if u fix up ur house and u live in the special places then u can not pay taxes for a while. its "an incentive to promote growth" but really its a way to defund public schools. thats the new GOP hotness. they're doing it here too

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

SO DEMANDING posted:

hey, remember in the last thread when you called yourself lower-middle-class?

loll

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Citizen Tayne posted:

Property taxes here aren't even that loving onerous, city 8.06 mills school district 9.84 mills County 4.73 mills and a Carnegie Library tax of 0.25 mills. Everything is under-assessed, my house is assessed at $68000 which becomes $53000 after the homestead exemption. I pay under $700 a year.

http://pittsburghpa.gov/finance/property-tax-worksheet

But you see, if they didn't give these tax exemptions, these developers wouldn't build.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
we can't let taxes stand in the way of progress!

quote:

The Mississippi Senate voted 38-10 Thursday to phase out the corporate franchise tax, reduce the individual and corporate income tax and give a tax break to self-employed people. And a House committee advanced a smaller-scale plan for individual income tax credits.

However, with state revenues falling short of expectations because of sluggish economic growth, it's unclear whether either plan will survive. Legislators are trying to put millions more dollars into a shaky foster-care system that's in danger of being taken over by a federal court, and they're considering requests for budget increases from a wide variety of state agencies.

Republican Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves said the tax-cut plan in Senate Bill 2858 will spur economic growth, but critics said it would eventually reduce revenue by 10 percent in a state where a school funding formula has been shortchanged for years.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

PuTTY riot posted:

because it worked so well in kansas :rolleye:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

PuTTY riot posted:

"wow louisiana sure buttfucked their budget, but just look at all of those corporations who didn't move away - let's do that!"

-mississippi legislature, probably

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
We are trying to be more like Louisiana. Holy poo poo Jindall hosed poo poo up real bad.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/03/04/the-debilitating-economic-disaster-louisianas-governor-left-behind/

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

"wow louisiana sure buttfucked their budget, but just look at all of those corporations who didn't move away - let's do that!"

-mississippi legislature, probably

yeah literally this

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
So what is the deal with the small number of people whom transportation researchers have found to be perfectly fine with their commutes, even—shockingly—enjoying them? This is a real thing: When researchers studied the preferences of 1,300 Bay Area commuters in 2004, they found that “about half of the sample were relatively satisfied with the amount they commute, with a small segment actually wanting to increase that amount.” And when the Canadian government administered a survey about 10 years ago, they found that the proportion of respondents who liked commuting (38 percent) was larger than that of those who didn’t like it (30 percent). Sixteen percent, strangely, said they really enjoyed the experience.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i wish i secretly hated my coworkers. it'd make it easier to quit. unfortunately, i like my coworkers, mostly

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

prefect posted:

So what is the deal with the small number of people whom transportation researchers have found to be perfectly fine with their commutes, even—shockingly—enjoying them? This is a real thing: When researchers studied the preferences of 1,300 Bay Area commuters in 2004, they found that “about half of the sample were relatively satisfied with the amount they commute, with a small segment actually wanting to increase that amount.” And when the Canadian government administered a survey about 10 years ago, they found that the proportion of respondents who liked commuting (38 percent) was larger than that of those who didn’t like it (30 percent). Sixteen percent, strangely, said they really enjoyed the experience.

they hate their wives and families

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

PuTTY riot posted:

Republican Lt. Gov. Tate R. Eeves said he welcomes the potential of an increasingly strong biowaste processing industry in his state, and in his mouth.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Tayter Swift posted:

Republican Lt. Gov. Tate R. Eeves said he welcomes the potential of an increasingly strong biowaste processing industry in his state, and in his mouth.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
Hadoop-ken!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

prefect posted:

people prefer something like 20 minutes via car and will attempt to match that even if their current commute is faster

people are stupid loving idiots and you've gotta make it as unpalatable as possible for them to stop using their cars to drive to work

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Citizen Tayne posted:

Oh my god. He said it. Our president:

"We're moving from a homogenous system using Teradata to a heterogenous system using Hadoop. We need to move away from rows and columns and towards big data."

:reads cio magazine: hm yes, haddop,

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PuTTY riot posted:

if u fix up ur house and u live in the special places then u can not pay taxes for a while. its "an incentive to promote growth" but really its a way to defund public schools. thats the new GOP hotness. they're doing it here too
uff thats real bad

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Citizen Tayne posted:

Oh my god. He said it. Our president:

"We're moving from a homogenous system using Teradata to a heterogenous system using Hadoop. We need to move away from rows and columns and towards big data."

we must move from rows and columns to keys and values

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
one of the vps here was reading cio magazine and hm yes, agile, and switched the entire department to it and caused such irreparable damage to their employees they have to be reintegrated with other groups

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

people prefer something like 20 minutes via car and will attempt to match that even if their current commute is faster

people are stupid loving idiots and you've gotta make it as unpalatable as possible for them to stop using their cars to drive to work

Ban all private car ownership

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

keyboard vomit posted:

Ban all private car ownership

they have an annual art/music festival here and block off all vehicle traffic on the square and its so cool and nice and i wish they'd permanently ban vehicles from that part of town.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
the name of the festival is even a nod to public transport. kind of.

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
punning is the smuggest way of being unfunny.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Nevertheless, once Edwards gets through cutting an additional $70 million from the current state budget, he will have to turn his attention to the next budget cycle, where a $750 million shortfall exists starting July 1.

jfc i'm sooooo glad we moved away

still want them to cancel foobaw until corporate taxes are raised

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

PuTTY riot posted:

they have an annual art/music festival here and block off all vehicle traffic on the square and its so cool and nice and i wish they'd permanently ban vehicles from that part of town.

hunter s thompson wanted to ban all vehicles from the center of aspen, although he allowed for trucks to make deliveries through side roads

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

PuTTY riot posted:

ithaca has a pedestrian mall and every news article that mentions it has a few people complaining that they wish there was parking there instead, lol

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

PuTTY riot posted:

they did a thing here where they closed like two city blocks just for the sake of letting people walk around without fear of being run over for a single goddamn afternoon, and boy did it make people mad

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

He has gotten much better about this lately. I don't think he's eaten poop in several months, tho he does like to inspect and pee on fresh droppings.

(Talking about my dog here, the esteemed Lt. Gov probably still does)

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

sorry for doxxing you tori

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Skipped 806 posts to say cjs: lol yeah right I'm still on vacation

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
plate spinning is infinitely less cool when the plates are plastic

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

Skipped 806 posts to say cjs: lol yeah right I'm still on vacation

i hope you are enjoying your vacation

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

PuTTY riot posted:

they could be colored ceramic but probably not

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

PuTTY riot posted:

also without the music

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

GameCube posted:

i wish i secretly hated my coworkers. it'd make it easier to quit. unfortunately, i like my coworkers, mostly

:same:

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

GameCube posted:

they did a thing here where they closed like two city blocks just for the sake of letting people walk around without fear of being run over for a single goddamn afternoon, and boy did it make people mad

We close major downtown streets weekly and no one complains its pretty great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
although there's no music here, and this is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=results

• Locked thread