Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plek
Jul 30, 2009
e: Holy crap I need to read better, did not even notice they were hitting different groups.

Actual content: Are there any weapons actually 'effective' against BA? I thought I remember flamers instant-killing them, but it seems like PPCs are the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Plek posted:

e: Holy crap I need to read better, did not even notice they were hitting different groups.

Actual content: Are there any weapons actually 'effective' against BA? I thought I remember flamers instant-killing them, but it seems like PPCs are the way to go.

Artillery. A Thumper round in the hex will wipe out the whole squad.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I think that was the first and only friendly fire fatality in the thread, too.

Fuckin' Sylphs were hilarious.

Does punching yourself in the head count as friendly fire? It wasn't fatal sure, but it didn't help.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Plek posted:

Inferno SRMs against all but salamanders or other fire-hardened suits.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

AJ_Impy posted:

Inferno SRMs against all but salamanders or other fire-hardened suits.

That's it. That's why I remember always having someone packing infernos.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Plek posted:

That's it. That's why I remember always having someone packing infernos.

It still takes a lot of them. An SRM6 will kill one guy per turn on average.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Plek posted:

Artillery. Dropping an Arrow IV-cluster into the hex will deal 15 damage to a mech, but 15 damage to each battle armor unit, instantly killing an Elemental Point. Basically, if you're in trouble with BA in your hex, calling down artillery fire, your position is actually a surprisingly good idea.

Until they errataed Mine Clearance Missiles they were a hilarious way of taking down BA as well.

MJ12 fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 17, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

DatonKallandor posted:

Does punching yourself in the head count as friendly fire? It wasn't fatal sure, but it didn't help.

No, that's still in the rules. That can still happen.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Plek posted:

There are suits that can take a hit from Clan ER PPCs(or Gauss Rifles) and still not die. Hell, even Elementals can take a single non-Clan PPC and continue trucking.

edit: Or rather, there is at least one suit that can, as I don't recall what the protection of Gnomes is. Admittedly, said suit is also insanely slow, even compared to other battle armor. This is also of course not getting into Manei Domini "infantry."

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 17, 2016

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

MJ12 posted:

Artillery. Dropping an Arrow IV-cluster into the hex will deal 15 damage to a mech, but 15 damage to each battle armor unit, instantly killing an Elemental Point. Basically, if you're in trouble with BA in your hex, calling down artillery fire, your position is actually a surprisingly good idea.

So that means the BT universe has a use for 'Broken Arrow'? :v:

I hope that KF pilot at least gets a 'you tried' award at the end of this

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Lord Koth posted:

There are suits that can take a hit from Clan ER PPCs(or Gauss Rifles) and still not die. Hell, even Elementals can take a single non-Clan PPC and continue trucking.

Only saving grace is that those big fuckers basically move like infantry. You use them less like normal BA and more like a semimobile pillbox.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The fact that artillery is a hard counter for BA is why there's heavy reactive armor BA now.

They can take a whole one hit before dying horribly.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

edit: Or rather, there is at least one suit that can, as I don't recall what the protection of Gnomes is. Admittedly, said suit is also insanely slow, even compared to other battle armor. This is also of course not getting into Manei Domini "infantry."

Gnomes I believe have exactly 14 armor, so die from an ER PPC unless they're like, salvaged suits which are being worn by Manei Domini, which would be scary as poo poo.

The Kanizuchi, the Draconis Assault BA, is the one you're thinking of which can eat a CERPPC and survive. There's a few others, like the Golem, which can do the same.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

MJ12 posted:

The Kanizuchi, the Draconis Assault BA, is the one you're thinking of which can eat a CERPPC and survive. There's a few others, like the Golem, which can do the same.

Ironholds have 16 armor as well. Just because they needed to be able to soak a Gauss Rifle round.

And that's not even counting the fire(resistant) variant.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Golems have 18 armor, can walk 2 hexes and either carry 2 Bearhunter Superheavy Autocannons and ASRM5 per man or 2 regular infantry rifles and ASRM6 with plenty of ammo. They're real jerks. Fire Resistant jerks.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Golems are area denial nightmares. Too big to swarm, but that doesn't help much with the sheer offensive throw weight they put out in close quarters.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

At least they never quite figured out how to fit streaks on battle armor.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

evilmiera posted:

Now roll your mech's face onto the ground like it was your keyboard, and things might go alright.

I'm guessing these guys have seen Clanner action before to know to do that.

MJ12 posted:

So the two Kirghiz are back. Time to do some AAA again, because you really don't want to risk being strafed by those things again. If the NRWR are providing air support, bringing down the Clan air cover will make your life much, much easier-and even if they aren't, the fragile but incredibly deadly Clan ASFs are things you don't want flying around attacking multiple targets with every gun run.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Be careful which direction you're facing.

Even though the Kirghiz have moved 'past' the players, most of you are still in their aerospace hex. They can and will shoot you in the back if you're facing directly south.

...This is going to go well.

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

Cimbri posted:

...This is going to go well.

And on top of that the big mech ball is finally getting into engagement range and are beginning to try to flank us as well. We're getting it from all sides.

Do you all think Point Graves could have reached those woods in 0326 or 0526? The building just to the east has been providing cover for them the past two turns.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
IIRC Plasma Rifles are also good against non fire resistant BA because they damage every man in the squad.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Telamon posted:

And on top of that the big mech ball is finally getting into engagement range and are beginning to try to flank us as well. We're getting it from all sides.

Do you all think Point Graves could have reached those woods in 0326 or 0526? The building just to the east has been providing cover for them the past two turns.

I'm going to try to put the probe to good use this turn so we can hopefully find out, now that I'm not being mercilessly attacked by elementals and running around wildly.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Scintilla posted:

IIRC Plasma Rifles are also good against non fire resistant BA because they damage every man in the squad.

Nah, it does 10 to the trooper hit then 2d6 gets split into 5 point clusters and rerolls targets in the squad. Good but not THAT good.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The silver lining is that a fairly expendable mech is the one being used for the reminder as to why you really want to make it a priority not to end turns in movement range of the ACE Elementals.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Things to not do this turn: kill confirm Point Mabel. The surviving member is basically useless at swarm and leg attacks and may well decide they're too damage to continue.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Voyager I posted:

The silver lining is that a fairly expendable mech is the one being used for the reminder as to why you really want to make it a priority not to end turns in movement range of the ACE Elementals.

I actually tried to send in orders not to do that mind you, but I didn't remember the ACE rules applied to them til after I sent in my first orders and my revised orders somehow got sent into space -_-. Both things were my fault. So it goes though, apparently contingency orders to shoot the Elementals if I shake them would be a good idea.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
Starting to wonder whether Goonstar is going to end up in the ground with the air + ele + mech combo all over them.

Good luck lads

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Just wanna say I'm particularly enjoying this scenario, the combined arms thing and fluff work together really well to convey the idea of a hectic warzone.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I'm fairly surprised that Goonstar is meeting up with such heavy resistance. I think the Clanners outweigh them right? I wonder if more support is incoming because I dunno if convoy defense elements are supposed to hold off strong opposition alone.

I mean there is friendly air support inbound but I would have hoped that Amaris would have QRF on hand for poo poo like this.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Artificer posted:

I wonder if more support is incoming

Yeah I'm hoping for some tanks, they seem almost conspicuously absent.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I know the VGCW derail is over, but congrats on getting Ridley onto the main show, PTN.

garland336
Feb 26, 2013
Just an observation; if one of the goals is to make the enemy lose their will to fight and absolutely making GBS threads on their stars of light mechs didn't do it - perhaps going after their command structure will?

And the highest ranking officer, by far, is a *BLOODNAMED* (McKenna, no less, kind of a big deal to the Snow Raven) Star Colonel. In a Kirghiz. There's a few point commanders (Batu, Elementals) and two Star Commanders.

Take the head off the snake and the body will die or slither back from whence it came, IMO.

garland336 fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 17, 2016

garland336
Feb 26, 2013
Also, can we get some benny hill theme music for that kit fox?

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

Ice Fist posted:

I'm going to try to put the probe to good use this turn so we can hopefully find out, now that I'm not being mercilessly attacked by elementals and running around wildly.

Sounds like a plan. In that case I think I'll just back up to 0222 and take shots at Graves if they pop out and contingency everything else like usual. That will keep clear of those woods at 0326 should they have managed to sneak all the way over there.

We can't walk backwards up hills, right?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

legoman727 posted:

I know the VGCW derail is over, but congrats on getting Ridley onto the main show, PTN.

:aaaaa: when did that happen?

I can't watch main show because Tuesday's the only night I work late. :(

garland336 posted:

Take the head off the snake and the body will die or slither back from whence it came, IMO.

This is not strictly true because Clanners are actually pretty flexible in the field (unless a Khan bites it, and even that is a "We'll deal with this after this fight" situation rather than a "drop everything and elect someone" thing). They're all theoretically trained as field commanders / officers, so someone with ambition is guaranteed to step in to fill any gaps temporarily (and will probably be granted the position permanently afterwards if they do well).

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 17, 2016

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
That's a lot of hardware against a defensive element and a convoy.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm going to guess the Clanners thought there'd be more here than the convoy and that Goonlance is a trap for them. Something to keep glory hounds busy until the real forces show up to deal with them.

Just, you know, for Goonlance's sake they've got to fight as though no help is coming because there's no way to know if it will.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Wow, competently done BattleTech combined arms tactics are dangerous... Only thing that would make this better would be tanks as another mobile element to be the anvil to the mechs' hammer, but I know that's not Clan Snow Raven's jam. Maybe the Hell's Horses, but then they don't have as much aerospace expertise as the former.

And drat, I forgot how dangerous Elementals are. Sure, they were a shock the first time they showed up as <REDACTED> in the ComStar Level II space mission on the dropships that we put off for some long so the suspense built up and they got more dangerous, but then after that, they showed up only intermittently, and Goon players learned to try and kill them as quickly as possible once they showed up or were revealed lest they gently caress up your ride double quick. The Salamanders and Sylphs in the Death Commando campaign volcano mission and the Draconis Suns tank mission against the Hell's Horses respectively kept the fear up, I guess, but seeing these Ace Elemental points again doing their thing and the effect they have on GoonMercenary Company is a thing of beauty, in their changing of tactics and such.

Wonder when we'll get to see some friendly BA (since the Demon Hawks are working under contract with the NRWR, and they're the only faction outside of the Clans that have the suits, at least until the other Inner Sphere powers see how effective they are and send their intel networks to try and get examples of that tech, with various levels of success, given the agency...) in action, or Goons will get to actually use and play as them.

Like the way you managed to work in that rules errata over attacking swarming BA through the NRWR liaison officer. Great fluff writing as usual.

Poor Kit Fox pilot. Getting hosed by an airstrike and the unmanned Revenant drone BA that also wiped out a light star, and while the rest of his Star is rushing to close with the enemy and the convoy that they're supposed to protect. Lost all of his weapons, took a hit in the face and another that set off his ammo, causing him to pass out and fall, taking more pilot hits in the process. Now he wakes up, tries to get up, miffs it, falls down again and passes out once more in the process, and almost killing himself in the process. If he survives, the rest of the Star/Binary/Galaxy/whatever that survive are gonna give him a ton of poo poo for it for being taken out without even firing a shot in anger towards the enemy and the hated NRWR. Not a mission to be included in his personal Remembrance or Codex here...

The heavy stars have pretty much closed to firing range, and the Kirghiz fighters are back... This turn is going to hurt, especially with the remaining Elementals that haven't been completely hosed up continue to make their moves...

At least you guys almost entirely wiped out an Elemental squad (only the Point Commander left and without any armor, so just her squishy self), taking her basically out of the fight, and eliminated a couple of other troopers amongst the other points and stripped the armor from others. Still dangerous, especially the one swarming the Po. No friendly fire incidents this time around, but there's not going to be much the mech in question can do apparently besides throwing themselves to the ground to get them off...

GoonMercenary Company seem like they're in are rather tight spot here, and might lose a mech or two, though that shouldn't be too bad, what with the NRWR mech replacement offers to their mercs to buy new ones for mechs lost in service to them against the Clans with their bounty money. Too bad you don't get paid for taking out Elementals or other Battle Armor that the Clans might field on this offensive... Still, you should be able to rack up the numbers this mission.

Now if only the convoy trucks you're supposed to be protecting weren't running straight into the enemy mechs in an attempt not to get strafed by the enemy fighters... Combined arms, everyone! They're super effective! They could've scattered better, I would think, but I guess they didn't have much choice on where to go, what with the terrain and roads and where the enemy mechs were heading to pincer them in. Nice planning by Clan Snow Raven and whoever is running this overall operation attacking this convoy. I expect the convoy to take some losses sooner rather than later because of this... Good luck preventing them, GoonMercenary Company!

Don't start off this (possible) mini-campaign and the history of the Demon Hawks with a failed mission now! Even if it was kinda against some overwhelming odds which weren't supposed to be there in a relatively easy (if not a cake walk) routine mission... I forget if PTN initially described it as such in his opening fluff post though...

Artificer posted:

That's a lot of hardware against a defensive element and a convoy.

Night10194 posted:

I'm going to guess the Clanners thought there'd be more here than the convoy and that Goonlance is a trap for them. Something to keep glory hounds busy until the real forces show up to deal with them.

Just, you know, for Goonlance's sake they've got to fight as though no help is coming because there's no way to know if it will.

Hmm, good point, I never actually though about that. Could be a setup to spring an NRWR trap without them telling the leadership of the Demon Hawks or even their liaison officer, but that's not all that likely, I would think. Still, knowing the rep that Amaris, his advisors, and his generals, leaders, and military planners have, I wouldn't put it past them...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 17, 2016

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx

PoptartsNinja posted:

:aaaaa: when did that happen?

I can't watch main show because Tuesday's the only night I work late. :(

Just this week. He went over really well.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Well, those buildings certainly look like they were something and the Elementals had clearly just swept through them. Maybe this was one of the Revenant control stations? That implies that NRWR reinforcements may be on the way, assuming Goonlance isn't it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

There are 5 of the convoy trucks, maybe they combine to form Voltron. That would be an elaborately flashy plan for Amaris.

• Locked thread