Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

He's "losing his health insurance" because he's turning 26 and falling off his parents' policy.

Which, pre-Obamacare, he would have lost at age 21.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

my dipshit friend posted:

I really hate when people deliberately ignore basic facts, like school resource officers that are in every loving school. Or the fact that armed bank robbery is 1,000x more common than someone shooting up a school.

gently caress this kid.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Do banks even have armed guards? I've never heard of that being the case. It seems like a terrible idea.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Today I learned people go into schools everyday to steal children so they can have lots of children to spend on things.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Picnic Princess posted:

Today I learned people go into schools everyday to steal children so they can have lots of children to spend on things.

I was trying to eat something when I read this and then choked. Thanks?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Tiggum posted:

Do banks even have armed guards? I've never heard of that being the case. It seems like a terrible idea.

They generally do not, no.

As the owner of a school-age child I would rather it not turn into an armed camp. Frankly I question the actual value of those "code black" drills, too, having kids cower in the dark rehearsing their murders.

idk

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

There are many more bank robberies than school shootings but more people died in school shootings than bank robberies so it makes sense to put more protection toward the deadlier occurrence.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Yeah but putting guns in schools will always be retarded.

I'm also a tiny bit sad that the pro-gun people are using The Stranger for a meme :(

Scathach has a new favorite as of 06:54 on Mar 17, 2016

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Masonic Youth posted:

He's "losing his health insurance" because he's turning 26 and falling off his parents' policy.

Which, pre-Obamacare, he would have lost at age 21.

If I was you I'd definitely point that out. Nothing wrong with correcting someone that's factually incorrect in any easy to disprove way.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I see a bunch of geniuses post online about how teachers should have guns. When I was in grade 7 a teacher threw a desk across the room because a kid spit a spitball. Imagine if that teacher had a gun. Then again I'm Canadian where guns are considered slightly more dangerous to human life than a desk, so take that as you will.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
I, too, long to evolve into a Tool album cover.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
My wife is a member of a 'bumps to babies' group on FaceBook. She started giggling at her phone and read out this gem:

quote:

I know this is a strange question, but can babies see ghosts?

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Picnic Princess posted:

I see a bunch of geniuses post online about how teachers should have guns. When I was in grade 7 a teacher threw a desk across the room because a kid spit a spitball. Imagine if that teacher had a gun. Then again I'm Canadian where guns are considered slightly more dangerous to human life than a desk, so take that as you will.

I wonder if these people realize that making schools even more like literal prisons is kind of probably not the best thing when it comes to trying to get kids to learn

haha just kidding, they don't give a gently caress

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

FlyinPingu posted:

I wonder if these people realize that making schools even more like literal prisons is kind of probably not the best thing when it comes to trying to get kids to learn

haha just kidding, they don't give a gently caress

This idea is just so knee jerk and retarded , it doesn't hold up to even a basic level of scrutiny. Let's evaluate the risk in both scenarios -

Current risk: no immediate defence available if a kid manages to hatch a plot, find a gun, smuggle it into school, and start shooting.

'Teachers with guns' risk: Teacher goes nuts and shoots some kids. Kids find gun left in teachers draw and accidentally shoot someone with it. Kid hatches plot to steal teachers gun and shoot a bunch of people. Teacher accidentally shoots himself or someone else whilst handling his gun.

Each gun brought into the school carries that risk. You're creating a situation where that risk is there 100% of the time, rather than a very small % of the time.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

TBH as a school-aged kidhaver I even question the value of "active shooter/code black drills" pretty heavily.

Some quanta of "preparedness" for a vanishingly improbable but horrific event versus the repeated but relatively small terror of sitting quietly in the dark rehearsing her own murder.

It's weird and I don't know how to feel about it. Yeah I guess you can say "but you do tornado and fire drills" but it just feels different you know?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Otisburg posted:

TBH as a school-aged kidhaver I even question the value of "active shooter/code black drills" pretty heavily.

Some quanta of "preparedness" for a vanishingly improbable but horrific event versus the repeated but relatively small terror of sitting quietly in the dark rehearsing her own murder.

It's weird and I don't know how to feel about it. Yeah I guess you can say "but you do tornado and fire drills" but it just feels different you know?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q899D06W53k

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

A good analogy: probably useless and more a way for parents to salve and transfer their anxiety over the lovely peril they put their kids in because of a gross weapon fetish.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

oldpainless posted:

There are many more bank robberies than school shootings but more people died in school shootings than bank robberies so it makes sense to put more protection toward the deadlier occurrence.

Another difference is that in most bank robberies no shooting starts. The general idea is banks just give robbers whatever they want, call the police, turn in the surveillance footage, then call the insurance company. Money can be insured. Children can't. Generally speaking the best thing to do during a robbery is to absolutely not escalate the situation.

Everybody thinks of a dozen angry men in masks with sub machine guns shooting up the place and taking hostages like in the movies but that tends to not happen. That takes time and gets lots of attention. Most of the time it's somebody saying "hey I have a gun, give me whatever cash is handy" and then leaving. Big scale heists are risky as hell.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

EvilGenius posted:

This idea is just so knee jerk and retarded , it doesn't hold up to even a basic level of scrutiny. Let's evaluate the risk in both scenarios -

Current risk: no immediate defence available if a kid manages to hatch a plot, find a gun, smuggle it into school, and start shooting.

'Teachers with guns' risk: Teacher goes nuts and shoots some kids. Kids find gun left in teachers draw and accidentally shoot someone with it. Kid hatches plot to steal teachers gun and shoot a bunch of people. Teacher accidentally shoots himself or someone else whilst handling his gun.

Each gun brought into the school carries that risk. You're creating a situation where that risk is there 100% of the time, rather than a very small % of the time.

A lot of advocates of "guns EVERYWHERE!" don't seem to believe that gun accidents exist. Guns apparently have a forcefield where everyone around them is suddenly 100% sane and capable, or possibly the untrained are just repelled like vampires from garlic.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Kit Walker posted:

If I was you I'd definitely point that out. Nothing wrong with correcting someone that's factually incorrect in any easy to disprove way.
It's a friend of a friend, so I couldn't comment directly, but someone else did. His response was "Yeah but Obama is making me be an adult and I don't wanna :mad:".

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Otisburg posted:

I am old enough to have done the "hide under your desk from nuclear bombs" drills and honestly it still gives me a vague sense of unease to think about.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
When my wife worked at a bank, a homeless man came in and told the teller "I'm robbing you, call the police". Guy had no weapons and just wanted to get off the street any way he could. An armed guard with a twitchy finger might have just shot the guy just in case, so even the most non-violent of robberies could end badly.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

dirksteadfast posted:

When my wife worked at a bank, a homeless man came in and told the teller "I'm robbing you, call the police". Guy had no weapons and just wanted to get off the street any way he could. An armed guard with a twitchy finger might have just shot the guy just in case, so even the most non-violent of robberies could end badly.

Reminds me of that old O. Henry story about the vagrant trying to get arrested for the exact same reason, and failing every single time. Which, of course, is slightly unrealistic, because yeah, it's easy as poo poo to go to jail if you're actively trying to.

Also reminds of the time the homeless guy took $100 dollars from a bank, and was so ashamed of himself that he returned it. The police than came and tossed him in jail for the original crime of robbery despite the fact that the money was insignificant enough for nobody to even notice, and it had been returned. But hey, at least we don't have to look at these filthy poors anymore, right guys?? Right???

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Otisburg posted:

You know, I would have agreed with this before the Ottawa cenotaph/Parliament shooting. I was teaching first-year students at the University of Ottawa, in a classroom which can see Parliament's peace tower, which is almost in line of sight of the cenotaph, and which has a clear view of the mall where "secondary shooters" were falsely reported. My students were so used to the idea of a security lockdown that there was basically no trouble at all for me. They kept calm and cool and just went about their business for the six loving hours that we were officially locked down.

Now I can see the value in drills like this - it may not be likely that there's an active shooter situation, but teaching people to not panic when something bad happens is really loving valuable.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
I've been talking to a friend at work who seems to be pretty logical.

Usually.

The topic of hitting/spanking/yelling at children as a form of discipline has come up and I've been arguing with him for about 3 days now. He's very much into "the science doesn't seem to back it conclusively, so I still believe it's a valid teaching tool when used in certain situations". I link science articles or regular articles with scientific citations, and he tries to pick them all apart, also linking articles back (which seem to be opinion pieces). The fact that are dissenting opinions online is enough to convince him this isn't a black/white issue where beating = bad, and therefore it is fine to do it.

So to keep my blood pressure down, does anyone have any resources handy that would prove he's legit crazy? Or am I legit crazy? I suppose he needs overwhelming conclusions or something. Nothing I throw at him seems to affect him. Not sure why he chose this hill to die on.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

He's probably making the exact same post about you on a different forum

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

oldpainless posted:

He's probably making the exact same post about you on a different forum

He's asking his friend studying psychology his opinion that confirms or denies my claims.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Someone posted this a few pages back, and while it's a worded in a way that makes it sort of easy to dismiss out of hand, but it sums it up pretty well:

However, it may be too late into the argument for this at this point.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

AlbieQuirky posted:

I am old enough to have done the "hide under your desk from nuclear bombs" drills and honestly it still gives me a vague sense of unease to think about.

How is the internet at your retirement home?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Vic Boss posted:

Nothing I throw at him seems to affect him.

Sounds like the counterargument style of a conspiracy theorist. He'll continue to find poo poo that "backs up" his opinion and you'll continue beating your head against the wall trying to change his mind. Next time it comes up, just say "Dude I think hitting kids is wrong" and then change the subject.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

How is the internet at your retirement home?

You drat kids and your not living in mortal fear of a siren that signals your imminent death via nuclear fire

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

SpacePig posted:

Someone posted this a few pages back, and while it's a worded in a way that makes it sort of easy to dismiss out of hand, but it sums it up pretty well:

However, it may be too late into the argument for this at this point.

Used this exact image early on.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Sounds like the counterargument style of a conspiracy theorist. He'll continue to find poo poo that "backs up" his opinion and you'll continue beating your head against the wall trying to change his mind. Next time it comes up, just say "Dude I think hitting kids is wrong" and then change the subject.

I feel wrong letting it go since early on I linked him to 5 science articles that goons had posted. He read them and said "this makes sense, thanks. It does seem like the thing to avoid." But... Then "researched" it on his own and found articles that said the opposite. When I asked if he could link them, he said "just google it jeez" and I ridiculed him.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Bend him over your knee and spank him and he should stop misbehaving.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Just explain that if you can't best a person that depends on you for literally everything without resorting to violence you're probably too dumb to have children anyway.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Vic Boss posted:

"researched"

"just google it jeez"

And there we are.

Just bail dude, sorry your friend is a child-hitting goober

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Vic Boss posted:

He's very much into "the science doesn't seem to back it conclusively, so I still believe it's a valid teaching tool when used in certain situations". I link science articles or regular articles with scientific citations, and he tries to pick them all apart, also linking articles back (which seem to be opinion pieces."

teachers should be allowed to hit students and also they should have guns

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Can they hit the students with guns though?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Lady Naga posted:

Only if they're circumcised.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Otisburg posted:

Only if they're circumcised.

And only if the students don't tip the waiters.

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

It's your god-given right to pistol-whip anyone you drat well please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Why yes, I'd love to have some anarchists borrow my car and live on my land.

Only registered members can see post attachments!