Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We've also heard they absolutely do have some distinct personality types and I'm guessing slightly unique reasons for being "fallen" that effect how they function. One empire might be fallen because they achieved such a ridiculous post-singularity Culture type society that they are way too busy having 8th dimensional personality-hybrid sex deep within their planetary supercomputers to care about the outside world anymore, their whole empire running on automation while they lay around like addicts in an opium den. They are interested in any pleasure related technology you might have but for the most part are not of the right mind to even deal with the outside world, but cutting them off from their VR addiction might eventually send them into a rage, if they survive the withdraw effects.

Another empire may be more like a caricature of ancient china. They spent so long as the top dog superpower surrounded by lesser primitives that have surely achieved the acme of technology and culture. They may trade and interact with the outside world from time to time but feel so utterly superior they have become stagnant in every respect. Only a humiliating loss to outsiders could possibly snap them into developing once again. This empire could make a tempting mid to late game target, but once woken up could become a major galactic power.

Other empires could have simply suffered decay in every sense. Something like the Empire of Man from 40k. Once a powerful technological empire, they've become stangnant due to extreme, most likely religious based, dogmatism and forgotten the basic scientific method, instead viewing their ancient technology as essentially magic. They are not interested in any interaction with aliens, other than a desire to purge them all.

Another fallen empire may not be actually fallen, just so hyper advanced they don't really need to interact with the universe much anymore. Perhaps they actually see them selves as positive forces in the universe and attempt to help oppressed races or races with the correct ideology by slipping them tech and protection here and there. Perhaps there's an evil "shadow" version of this empire doing the same, but nurturing races of their chosen opposing ideology. Taking aid from either is tempting, but always comes at some sort of price down the road...

I'm quite looking forward to fallen empire, specially what they could do with them in DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I hope it's possible for fallen empires to have civil wars and things too, not just operating with an "awake/dormant" switch. So there could be a peaceful fallen empire that descends into civil war between a faction that wants to remain peaceful and stagnant and another that wants to be aggressive and active in galactic politics. And you can either watch from the outside or try and support one of the sides. If the stagnant side wins, it remains a fallen empire; if the aggressive side wins, it switches over to a proper one that behaves like the rest, with a new diplomatic personality.

In fact, I wonder if it's possible for diplomatic personalities to change throughout the game, or if AI Empire X will always be Pacifist Xenophiles with no chance of their government ever changing to being run by Militarist Xenophobes instead.

For that matter, do we even know if it's possible to change government types during the course of a game? Or are you forever stuck with the one you picked at the beginning?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We know pops ethos can drift, and we know governors and such can rebel and break off. What we don't know is what happens when your home-system loyalist pops ethos drift, or if you can steer them one way or another your self, or some how trigger a coup and then "play as".

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I'd love to see A Post-Diaspora DLC/start condition where you have a bunch of Earth nations that fled a dying/destroyed earth and got separated ala Freelancer. So you come across the Germans, British, Russians, Serbians, Chinese, etc. Have a few different potential start conditions and you could have a whole host of possibilities. The Canadians never found a planet and are a horde of nomadic spacers, French developed and were destroyed by an AI that now commands a fleet of automated tomb planets, Serbians founded a great empire that was subjugated by nearby alien empires and now yearns for liberation, etc.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Randarkman posted:

You're probably right about most of this, don't know too much about the Waffen-SS except the fact that alot of their units established later in the war got alot of the good stuff and that it it also contained a bunch of forcibly conscripted eastern Europeans who were not well trained, led or equipped. But, the entire German army used modified WW1 rifles, the Mauser rifle is from 1898/99 and in WW2 they used a version of that with a shorter barrel.

No they didn't, that's the point. The Karabiner 98k designed in 1934 was the main service rifle for the main German armed forces throughout WW2. The SS had to do with a Gewehr 98, a WW1 rifle designed in 1898, specifically because the army kept as much good poo poo for themselves as they could and so the SS had to make do with having their old G98s modified to be as similar to the K98ks as possible.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Baronjutter posted:

We've also heard they absolutely do have some distinct personality types and I'm guessing slightly unique reasons for being "fallen" that effect how they function.
Wiz actually listed them all at one point:

quote:

Currently, only Xenophile/Xenophobe Materialist/Spiritualist are valid FE traits. More may be added.

The FE personalties are:
Xenophile: Benevolent Observers
Xenophobe: Militant Isolationists
Spiritualist: Holy Guardians
Materialist: Keepers of Knowledge

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Space nomads or a primarily off-planet empire is something I'd like to see at some point as an option..

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

We know pops ethos can drift, and we know governors and such can rebel and break off. What we don't know is what happens when your home-system loyalist pops ethos drift, or if you can steer them one way or another your self, or some how trigger a coup and then "play as".

Maybe it would be somehow like changing primary culture in EU4? Your empire's ethics will stay the same unless changed, but if the majority of your POPs (or at least the POPs on your directly governed worlds) ethics have drifted away from this then you can say spend some influence (which seems to be a general limiting factor in Stellaris for a lot of things) to change your ethics to more closely resemble your POPs and their factions, say you have to adopt the ethics of the most popular faction or something.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man Stellaris wasn't even on my radar until watching that video (and I also figured it wasn't coming out soon). I am so hyped for this.

It will be interesting to see what the game is like in say 2 or 3 years. How many features we loved or thought would gone or totally revamped. With a Paradox game..well EU and CK it's fun to occasionally drop back a version or two and see how things used to play. I remember being miffed when CK II lost the assassination button in diplomacy....but man it got replaced with so many better options and depth.

It was mentioned by a poster earlier about the potential DLC changes that could occur. I'm just very interested in the eventual evolution of the game over the next few years.

I also look forward to the Death Star DLC being mentioned.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I think it's time y'all make a stellaris thread.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

cool and good posted:

I think it's time y'all make a stellaris thread.

Nah if anything it's time for a hearts of iron thread.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd be happy to put together a Stellaris thread, I think there's enough talk and hype about it that any time I hear a mention of nazi poo poo in the thread it feels out of place.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Time to start thinking of a reason to take off D-day from work.

Hmm...

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Space nomads or a primarily off-planet empire is something I'd like to see at some point as an option..

Massive Zentradi/Meltrandi fleet dropping by to nuke the gently caress out of your planet(s) out of the blue :byewhore:

They (space nomad type civs) could either be stagnant (sorta like the Golden Horde etc in EUIV) or advance just like any other faction type. Pretty exciting (and terrifying).

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Baronjutter posted:

I'd be happy to put together a Stellaris thread, I think there's enough talk and hype about it that any time I hear a mention of nazi poo poo in the thread it feels out of place.

Not sure there's quite enough to talk about until closer to release, honestly.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Fintilgin posted:

Not sure there's quite enough to talk about until closer to release, honestly.

It doesn't have to be a high traffic thread. It might be a good idea to delink the huge bursts of activity that you get whenever Stellaris makes a blip on the radar versus the usual slow pace of this thread. A separate thread will also draw in people who don't care for Paradox games enough to either know about Stellaris or follow this thread closely too.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Well I've got a whole OP for a Stellaris thread typed up and ready to go once some sort of authority figure gives me the blessing.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

YF-23 posted:

It doesn't have to be a high traffic thread. It might be a good idea to delink the huge bursts of activity that you get whenever Stellaris makes a blip on the radar versus the usual slow pace of this thread. A separate thread will also draw in people who don't care for Paradox games enough to either know about Stellaris or follow this thread closely too.
No the point is to quarantine discussion of interesting games so the WWII grogs can keep there interest levels low enough so they don't think.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Post in dat rear end, Larry.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Well I've got a whole OP for a Stellaris thread typed up and ready to go once some sort of authority figure gives me the blessing.

:justpost:

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I'd appreciate a dedicated Stellaris thread! Paradox is starting to stream things about the game now, so it would be nice to have a spot to discuss upcoming events and all of that. Today, at 20:00 CET they are doing something called "The Rise of the Blorg Commonality: #1 Space Friends!"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've never made an OP before in a games thread please be gentle

STELLARIS THREAD?!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768778

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Baronjutter posted:

I've never made an OP before in a games thread please be gentle

STELLARIS THREAD?!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768778
:golfclap:

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Stellaris - Extraterrestrial Thursday - Thursday 20:00 CET

ParadoxInteractive playing Stellaris

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

Trogdos! posted:

Wow the create a empire UI has changed since the videos that came out at GDC.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Trogdos! posted:

I love how much they're trolling the audience through this species creation right now.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Tuskin38 posted:

Wow the create a empire UI has changed since the videos that came out at GDC.
You're thinking of the PCGamer stuff, happened way before GDC. But there was an embargo.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

LordMune posted:

You're thinking of the PCGamer stuff, happened way before GDC. But there was an embargo.

It was different in Quill's video too. Unless that was from the same press thing.

Edit:

Ah it was from January

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tuskin38 posted:

It was different in Quill's video too. Unless that was from the same press thing.

Quill's video was filmed in January.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Omnicarus posted:

I'd love to see A Post-Diaspora DLC/start condition where you have a bunch of Earth nations that fled a dying/destroyed earth and got separated ala Freelancer. So you come across the Germans, British, Russians, Serbians, Chinese, etc. Have a few different potential start conditions and you could have a whole host of possibilities. The Canadians never found a planet and are a horde of nomadic spacers, French developed and were destroyed by an AI that now commands a fleet of automated tomb planets, Serbians founded a great empire that was subjugated by nearby alien empires and now yearns for liberation, etc.

This is too great of an idea not to become a mod.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Omnicarus posted:

The Canadians never found a planet and are a horde of nomadic spacers

As a Canadian I would approve of that.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Trogdos! posted:

Who are those two people?

Orv
May 4, 2011

SeaTard posted:

Wiz, who started off modding Paradox games and now works for them, doing AI on Stellaris currently. And cKnoor, goon LPer and now ?. Not sure on him.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SeaTard posted:

They're the current and previous winner of the Swedish Eurovision.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
cKnoor is our streaming producer

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
hail, blorg.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Wiz posted:

cKnoor is our streaming producer

sausage stream producer?

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

double nine posted:

sausage stream producer?

Only the wurst are good enough.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

cKnoor posted:

Only the wurst are good enough.

Why did you ever stop doing LPs? :( Growing up and having a job is hardly an excuse...

And since HOI4 still isn't important enough for it's own thread I guess we can leave today's dev diary about nukes here. They do pretty much what you'd expect them to do. I wonder if you get more newspaper headlines for each successive bomb? Each one 'hoping this will be the last' as your enemies are driven before by a wave of atomic fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Why did you ever stop doing LPs? :( Growing up and having a job is hardly an excuse...

And since HOI4 still isn't important enough for it's own thread I guess we can leave today's dev diary about nukes here. They do pretty much what you'd expect them to do. I wonder if you get more newspaper headlines for each successive bomb? Each one 'hoping this will be the last' as your enemies are driven before by a wave of atomic fire.

nah, but there are lots of specific events for certain cities