Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

http://www.appbrain.com/stats/top-android-sdk-versions

The only reason Marshmallow is up 100+% is the S7 being released. The overwhelming majority of people are still on Android J/K/L.

Nobody actually gives a gently caress about Nexus phones and that will be true until Google stops letting OEMs put Android on their phones (never).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Daily Forecast posted:

lmao I used the N5X for a day today instead of my S7 and I had forgotten what it's like to carry a phone around with me that's a total flimsy piece of cardboard.

I really hope this/next year's Nexus actually focuses on build quality, that's been so bad ever since the Nexus 4.

Yes, the phone that costs half as much doesn't have the same build quality. News at 11.

Meanwhile the 6P has way better build quality.

I swear you idiots are incapable of not being goaded into idiotic positions by Smythe or whomever.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Thermopyle posted:

The Nexus 6P is very fragile and you can't open it to replace the screen or battery or anything without completely demolishing it, I wouldn't call that 'much better'.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Daily Forecast posted:

The Nexus 6P is very fragile and you can't open it to replace the screen or battery or anything without completely demolishing it, I wouldn't call that 'much better'.

Only one of the things you say has anything to do with build quality.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

uPen posted:

Wasn't Motorola the company that dropped update support for a phone like 12-14 months after the phone was released?
Given that most Android phones won't get anywhere near that, it's not so bad.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Daily Forecast posted:

http://www.appbrain.com/stats/top-android-sdk-versions

The only reason Marshmallow is up 100+% is the S7 being released. The overwhelming majority of people are still on Android J/K/L.

Nobody actually gives a gently caress about Nexus phones and that will be true until Google stops letting OEMs put Android on their phones (never).

The only reason Marshmallow is so low to begin with is because Samsung cannot and will not update their phones. It's almost like they're bad at telephones!

Just because the majority of people buy Camrys doesn't make them the best car, it just makes it the lowest common denominator. The only difference here is that Toyota makes a profit on a Camry.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Daily Forecast posted:

None of those have anything to do with build quality. I mean, maybe you could say fragility is a build quality issue, but that's arguable.

Anyway, it is much better than the 5x and while it's not in S7 territory it's also way cheaper.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

None of those have anything to do with build quality. I mean, maybe you could say fragility is a build quality issue, but that's arguable.

Anyway, it is much better than the 5x and while it's not in S7 territory it's also way cheaper.

But but can you replace THE SCREEEEEEEENNNNNNN???????

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

"Replace the screen" lol

The 4 N5xes I've seen seem to have perfectly fine build quality?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Thermopyle posted:

Yes, the phone that costs half as much doesn't have the same build quality. News at 11.

I swear you idiots are incapable of not being goaded into idiotic positions by Smythe or whomever.

I like instigating and just ducking out and not reading the resulting 3 page poo poo-show derail :smugbird:

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Internet Explorer posted:

"Replace the screen" lol

The 4 N5xes I've seen seem to have perfectly fine build quality?

They are, they're plastic but they're plenty sturdy and solid.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Honestly still kinda worried about spontaneous visor shattering on my 6p since from what I could google no one really figured out what was causing it just a handful of things that may have caused it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

havenwaters posted:

Honestly still kinda worried about spontaneous visor shattering on my 6p since from what I could google no one really figured out what was causing it just a handful of things that may have caused it.

It was people dropping it and then claiming they hadnt

Don't drop your expensive thing

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Anyone know if its possible to rearrange the the back, home, and menu buttons on a 5x?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
With root, sure. Without, I don't think so, although I'm not sure.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Slider posted:

Anyone know if its possible to rearrange the the back, home, and menu buttons on a 5x?

Only if you're rooted.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Google and T-Mobile have hashed it out, YouTube is now part of BingeOn.

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/03/17/t-mobile-youtube-binge-on/

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Rastor posted:

Believe it or not, Verizon actually supports sideloading updates.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-116821/

Wow, thank you. I believe it, but I am incredibly surprised.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

The only reason Marshmallow is so low to begin with is because Samsung cannot and will not update their phones. It's almost like they're bad at telephones!

Samsung is really slow on updates but you don't need to be hyperbolic, they do update their phones. Note 5/S6 is receiving Marshmallow literally right now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Just because the majority of people buy Camrys doesn't make them the best car, it just makes it the lowest common denominator. The only difference here is that Toyota makes a profit on a Camry.
Oh come on now, this is a bad comparison. I would never recommend against someone getting a Camry because Toyota is good at cars.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Quick question- any way to get rid of the input lag when pairing a Dualshock 4 over bluetooth? This is on a Tab S2 9.7

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Rastor posted:

Google and T-Mobile have hashed it out, YouTube is now part of BingeOn.

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/03/17/t-mobile-youtube-binge-on/

Seeing as how music freedom and binge on is included on the $30 nerd plan, that's an excellent option if you want a steaming media device. Hell I'm half tempted to drop my ATT rollover data way down and use the nerd plan on a separate device for 24x7 music and video streaming. Inconvienent sure but unlimited gigs of round the clock streaming for $30 is tempting. Especially since I'd save more than $30 by reducing my ATT data.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

hotsauce posted:

Seeing as how music freedom and binge on is included on the $30 nerd plan, that's an excellent option if you want a steaming media device. Hell I'm half tempted to drop my ATT rollover data way down and use the nerd plan on a separate device for 24x7 music and video streaming. Inconvienent sure but unlimited gigs of round the clock streaming for $30 is tempting. Especially since I'd save more than $30 by reducing my ATT data.

Hope you like garbage quality video assuming you have signal which you won't.

Also, not everyone is like us and has fifteen phones sitting around.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

hotsauce posted:

Is Binge On actually included in the nerd plan? My understanding is that you got the video downgrade (and can opt out of it) but not the 'free' video streaming unless you spring for one of their pricier plans (which might still be worth it, depending just how much you'd save at AT&T). Music freedom is definitely part of the nerd plan though and is the main reason I have it.

Though yeah, as ever with T Mobile, be damned sure you've got decent coverage where you are before you commit to anything.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Hope you like garbage quality video assuming you have signal which you won't.

Also, not everyone is like us and has fifteen phones sitting around.

^^ its free. I let video stream all night long on LTE and only used 8 megs.

Yeah I have a $9 Moto E that would effectively be my car radio with music freedom. Video quality is fine on the tiny screen for streaming.

Edit: this is the nerd plan after streaming an entire season on Netflix. All LTE. If this doesn't show binge on, there is some serious fuckery with data optimization going on. I'd venture to guess this should be at least 2 gigs.

https://i.imgur.com/tHEeFTz.png

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 17, 2016

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

So here's a fun update on my Galaxy S7 Edge that I was having issues with (displaying strange signal type indicators and no Samsung Pay). I've exchanged it for a Black S7 Edge and I think that even though it was definitely an AT&T branded device the base OS image was actually a UK variant. Once I got my new phone it started showing the signal type as 4g-LTE using the AT&T version of the logo and Samsung Pay works now. Also, the default keyboard language on the phone is EN-US, but it was EN-UK on my original phone. So great quality control by Samsung I guess...

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

CLAM DOWN posted:

Samsung is really slow on updates but you don't need to be hyperbolic, they do update their phones. Note 5/S6 is receiving Marshmallow literally right now.
Meanwhile, the S5 never got lollipop 5.1.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Received a 27MB update to the Android N beta. Found no mentions about it or a changelog. Does anyone have any idea what this is about/changing?

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

LastInLine posted:

The only reason Marshmallow is so low to begin with is because Samsung cannot and will not update their phones.

"what you actually mean" posted:

Samsung sells a lot of telephones

Welcome to the point. I'm not saying it's good (or bad), but it's true: most people have the version of Android that Samsung gives them.

Thermopyle posted:

I mean, maybe you could say fragility is a build quality issue, but that's arguable.

The gently caress else is built quality, if not that? And the thing breaking when you try to repair or replace anything is directly related to the fragility.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Daily Forecast posted:

Welcome to the point. I'm not saying it's good (or bad), but it's true: most people have the version of Android that Samsung gives them.

Right, everyone understands this extremely obvious point.

Where someone might disagree with you is that it is an interesting or relevant point in context of "what is the latest version of Android".

Daily Forecast posted:

The gently caress else is built quality, if not that? And the thing breaking when you try to repair or replace anything is directly related to the fragility.

Fragility is orthogonal to build quality. A Tiffany lamp is fragile, yet has high build quality. What many/most/some people are talking about when they talk about build quality, they're talking about how well the pieces fit together or whether or not the buttons jiggle...stuff like that.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 17, 2016

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Rastor posted:

Believe it or not, Verizon actually supports sideloading updates.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-116821/

Did the update this morning and everything went smoothly. Thanks again.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Zom Aur posted:

Meanwhile, the S5 never got lollipop 5.1.

Not only did it get 5.1, it is confirmed to be getting Marshmallow as well.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Desk Lamp posted:

Not only did it get 5.1, it is confirmed to be getting Marshmallow as well.
Really? We checked my friends S5 when I was at his place last weekend, still on 5.0 and no updates available. He's not rooted or anything, so I have no idea why it doesn't show updates then.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Thermopyle posted:

Where someone might disagree with you is that it is an interesting or relevant point in context of "what is the latest version of Android".

It's not an argument or an opinion that the vast majority of Android devices do not have Marshmallow. It's probably Samsung's fault.

Zom Aur posted:

Really? We checked my friends S5 when I was at his place last weekend, still on 5.0 and no updates available. He's not rooted or anything, so I have no idea why it doesn't show updates then.

What carrier? I had a T-Mobile S5 (on T-Mobile) for a little bit last year and it had 5.1 just fine. I think 6.0 is slated for the S5 in June, which is pretty fuckin' late, but at least it's happening.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Zom Aur posted:

As it's been shown before in this thread not even the Nexus line is safe from carrier fuckery when it comes to updates, hard to say whether your friend's carrier released the update or not.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Daily Forecast posted:

It's not an argument or an opinion that the vast majority of Android devices do not have Marshmallow. It's probably Samsung's fault.

Then don't loving reward them for it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
The American carrier market sounds horrendous for software updates and general competition.

Surely there should be legislation in the works to force networks to push security updates at least? It's hard to believe that these days, 9 years after the iPhone launched, Apple is still the only company who can update all their phones without issue.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

9 years after the iPhone launched, Apple is still the only company who can update all their phones without issue.

Yes but remember Apple had to force the carriers to that point. Remember they only launched w/ AT&T and had to fight for years until the carriers would take any possible conditions to get the iPhone in the carrier store.

Also don't believe the hype that they can update "without issue" there are lots and lots of people making deals and doing work/testing to get those updates out. Also I'm sure they would launch GSM updates before everything else if they didn't want to coordinate releases.

Also keep in mind the carriers still have a bunch of control (Wi-fi calling disabled) but Apple could just threaten to launch the new iOS on every carrier except yours and they manage to push it through.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Surely there should be legislation in the works to force networks to push security updates at least? It's hard to believe that these days, 9 years after the iPhone launched, Apple is still the only company who can update all their phones without issue.

The American government is actively against both phone security and passing any meaningful legislation about anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Daily Forecast posted:

Sure, that's a fact. I'm not sure why you think it's interesting or why you think anyone would disagree with it. You tried to make the weird argument that the latest version of Android is the version that's on the most phones.

Daily Forecast posted:

The latest version of Android is whatever is on Samsung's latest flagship.

Then once you realized that that's a dumb thing to say that only someone who was in full on fall-for-the-trolls mode you tried to make it sound like you meant something that's totally obvious that no one would disagree with.