Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
God I wish I had even the crudest of maps for this game. I never felt like I needed one in any Souls game, but 2D games like this that recycle scenery are a lot more difficult to memorize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

lets hang out posted:

everything about the nameless god including the forced damage run to him is bullshit

you are not wrong, bring the cheapo health potions.

Satorr posted:

God I wish I had even the crudest of maps for this game. I never felt like I needed one in any Souls game, but 2D games like this that recycle scenery are a lot more difficult to memorize.

http://saltandsanctuary.wiki.fextralife.com/Game+Progress+Route

Helped me a ton but it is insanely vague sometimes.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Gyoru posted:

Strong against slash and weak against arcane/strike (blunt).

Thanks, I made a rank 4 reaper and I got lucky and won. Will keep it in mind for future playthroughs

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I've been using an assassin poison build and so far it's been insanely good when it procs. I'm up to the Ziggurat and no boss has been immune to it yet. I really wish you could dual wield daggers in this game.

Marogareh fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 17, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://a.pomf.cat/pckfyn.webm

???

I beat the game and it was good. Does anything change on ng+ aside from all the numbers being higher?

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 17, 2016

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I am guessing it's time to transmute my piddly little daggers. They're the starting ones upgraded to IV but I feel like I'm poking the Wyrm boss with toothpicks.

Also my merchants don't have fire paper, but I noticed the blacksmith is where all the weapons I find end up. Maybe I have to get fire paper as a drop, then it shows up? I swear I'm picking stuff up that doesn't go into my inventory anyway.

I haven't stayed up past my bedtime playing a game in a long time. This game is pretty good.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I was 4 hours in a daggers run but by Castle of storms they just weren't cutting it so I switched to a Pally with a mace, caught up to where I was and its been super good, everything explodes in two hits.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

lets hang out posted:

I beat the game and it was good. Does anything change on ng+ aside from all the numbers being higher?

Numbers get bigger that's it

Also holy poo poo magic is loving awesome.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Game is super fun so far but the art design on the characters is kinda...tragic :(

Can you parry bosses? I've killed 3 so far, pretty much just chopped up the queen of smiles and alchemist with my halberd and never tried parrying since I got em on the first try, but I want to know if it's even an option. I beeline for halberds in any game that has them and I have not been disappointed so far. The heavy attack->light attack combo is so good

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Pladdicus posted:

Numbers get bigger that's it

Also holy poo poo magic is loving awesome.

Any experience with prayers? I diverted some points on my two-handing paladin into getting class 1 prayers and the extra potion next to it but if they're lackluster I'll probably grey pearl them back out.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Bussamove posted:

Any experience with prayers? I diverted some points on my two-handing paladin into getting class 1 prayers and the extra potion next to it but if they're lackluster I'll probably grey pearl them back out.

I dipped into them for level one with zero commitment, so I got no pay out. They probably won't be a great thing to focus on early, but looking over the list it looks like you can summon angelic ghost blades, magic death rays, get rid of wounds, orbits and stuff like that? Seems good as an aside but you'll prolly want a wis weapon.

They have the benefit of not needing an implement like magic which is a huge benefit.

edit: to clarify, no experience, but they seem neato as a secondary thing.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Gyoru posted:

Strong against slash and weak against arcane/strike (blunt).

Is this also like the original Souls where everything is basically weak to blunt/strike damage? Has anyone built a great axe/hammer character yet? Are they amazing?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Megasabin posted:

Is this also like the original Souls where everything is basically weak to blunt/strike damage? Has anyone built a great axe/hammer character yet? Are they amazing?

I've been running with a Greathammer, and it's been grand. It does tremendous damage, has decent range, and I can double the damage by using one of the weapon buff items I got from the Leaders. It benefits from a lot of charms, too. Speaking of which, anyone know if the leech effects of some charms is based on a percentage of damage done, or a flat rate per hit. I'm going to experiment with having a quick weapon with the fatigue restoring charm so I can get a little more mileage out of the prayers I spent those points on.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

Bussamove posted:

I grabbed rank 1/2 and at rank 2 you can put a holy buff on your weapon and cast holy armor on yourself, which seems to make you take like 75% less damage.

In the end is it worth the leveling cost? Not sure, but it's been nice so far.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

What's with the scarecrow you encounter in the woods? I just told him no.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Hakkesshu posted:

What's with the scarecrow you encounter in the woods? I just told him no.

Plot related. He pops up a few other places too.

Pladdicus posted:

http://saltandsanctuary.wiki.fextralife.com/Game+Progress+Route

Helped me a ton but it is insanely vague sometimes.

I resorted to this guide this morning, and boy you aren't kidding about it being vague. I'd love it if someone drew up some maps to this maze.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Satorr posted:

God I wish I had even the crudest of maps for this game.

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'd love it if someone drew up some maps to this maze.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Surprisingly accurate

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
The best way to vizualize the entire world map is segment the first "section" of the game off (i.e. frozen shore, banquet, forest, keep, bandit's pass) in your mind. Then you have the Castle of Storms and from it are two paths. To the south (and later west) is the Red Cages, Cave, Mire, Fort beyond the mire, which takes you to the far west of the island (and you are below the first section which is the north-west of the island). Going east from the castle is the Dome, Ziggarut, Temple, Pitchwoods, Beach etc. You have to go through both paths to get brands and stuff. The far east beach and far west fort have a boat man that takes you to the other side. Obviously there are inter-connected shortcuts and optional hidden areas (and bosses), but generally it's the first "section" in the north-west, then the Castle has two different "spokes" leading from it, one heading to the east and one heading south and west.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Tips for Queen of Smiles?Level 14 Strength Knight with 34 Damage Greatsword and a shield.
No weapon buffs except some poison.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Feenix posted:

Tips for Queen of Smiles?Level 14 Strength Knight with 34 Damage Greatsword and a shield.

Use your shield and attack after she rushes past you. I beat her with no healing potions left that way.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Hakkesshu posted:

Use your shield and attack after she rushes past you. I beat her with no healing potions left that way.

More or less what I am trying to do. My Endurance might just not support this weapon, sadly. (I get 2 swings, or a swing and a roll more or less...)

Can you drop poo poo? I have like 10 loving buckler shields...

[ed] Is Endurance even helping with how much "green bar" I have? I feel like I get 2 swings on this great sword no matter what.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

You can just sell them to a merchant

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Feenix posted:

More or less what I am trying to do. My Endurance might just not support this weapon, sadly. (I get 2 swings, or a swing and a roll more or less...)

Can you drop poo poo? I have like 10 loving buckler shields...

[ed] Is Endurance even helping with how much "green bar" I have? I feel like I get 2 swings on this great sword no matter what.

You can SELL poo poo, cash em in at a Sanctuary with a cleric and buy Sacred Paper and apply it to your weapon to basically double your damage against her. And I might be wrong but I think Endurance increases your max equip load, Willpower (I think?) boosts stamina

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Willpower? Really? poo poo.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Who was that guy stuck at Witch of the Lake? I'm you now :(

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Feenix posted:

I went with light armour and a big sword, and she went down first try..

Hang around half a screen away from her and you shouldn't be hit by their short range stabs. When she gets her two swords out, wait and roll towards her, hit her once and roll away to dodge the downward stab. The timing is pretty generous and your reach long.

Do not try to dodge her projectiles. After you've chewed through half of her bar, she'll charge right after she shoots her swords, and you want to save your dodge for that. 80% of the time the projectiles will outright miss, otherwise just block with the sword and tank a little bit of damage.

I love how I different people get stuck on different bosses.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ugh I traveled back to the lady pouring the water statue and now I can't loving find my way back to the Three sanctuary near where the Queen of Smiles is. I go to the right but come to a guy talking about Obelisks and castles. Im lost. gently caress.

[edit] Nevermind went back to first sanctuary where I can offer a guide without breaking covenant.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Wow thanks for the advice all. I beat Queen with no paper even. I ditched the shield and went 2 handed on my Greatsword which gave me ample maneuverability. She was cake.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Feenix posted:

Willpower? Really? poo poo.

It's ok, if you're using greatswords and stuff you aren't gonna regret pumping that endurance down the line.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Queen of smiles pro strat: keep your distance, roll past her charging attack, and dodge through the sword projectiles to get a couple hits until she's half health at which point you want to run out of range of that attack's followup and get a couple hits in after that instead. Beat her at level 11ish with pretty much no health left but it worked!!

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 17, 2016

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Queen of Smiles is cake city with a shield.

Man where the gently caress are the brands. All I have is vertigo but man I really want the ones that allow air dashing and wall jumping.

edit: also I give up, someone please just tell me how in the world I can deal with the insane emberskulls in the Castle of Storms. I swear that is the only place I can go that I haven't already been to, but I go in there and those things eat me alive in seconds.

Foppish Yet Dashing fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 17, 2016

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
It feels like they really nailed the Souls tradition for cool + weird stuff. I didn't like the actual fight very much but the name and design of the Tree of Men was metal as hell.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Satorr posted:

Queen of Smiles is cake city with a shield.

Man where the gently caress are the brands. All I have is vertigo but man I really want the ones that allow air dashing and wall jumping.

edit: also I give up, someone please just tell me how in the world I can deal with the insane emberskulls in the Castle of Storms. I swear that is the only place I can go that I haven't already been to, but I go in there and those things eat me alive in seconds.

Wall jumping is in the castle and the rest of the game is on the other side of it so good luck. I dunno about the skulls, I was using a great sword so they died in one swing :shrug:

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
I'm completely lost where to go after the Queen of Smiles. I ran around the forest for a bit, but see to find only dead ends there.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Does it matter where you place your stone clerics (and other similar stone people)? My stone cleric still hasn't sold anything but blessed weapon and in the sphere grid I'm up to class 3 miracles, going on a full faith build. It's annoying.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

FiestaDePantalones posted:

I'm completely lost where to go after the Queen of Smiles. I ran around the forest for a bit, but see to find only dead ends there.

iirc you need to head for the right side of the forest to the sanctuary and boss there.

LibbyM posted:

Does it matter where you place your stone clerics (and other similar stone people)? My stone cleric still hasn't sold anything but blessed weapon and in the sphere grid I'm up to class 3 miracles, going on a full faith build. It's annoying.

No. Their inventory might expand as you rank up in your creed by doing work for leaders, but you'll probably find most spells out in the world, usually hidden pretty well like behind fake walls. Different creeds might sell different spells but you'd have to look all that up.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

lets hang out posted:

Wall jumping is in the castle and the rest of the game is on the other side of it so good luck. I dunno about the skulls, I was using a great sword so they died in one swing :shrug:

The only thing in that zone I have trouble with are the huge shield-carrying guys but man that boss wiped me out fast. His physical attacks pretty much drain my entire stamina bar when I block them and my shield doesn't do too much against his fire breath (and the latter also seems really hard to consistently dodge)

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

The game crashes on me every once in a while when I try to rest at a sanctuary, and unlike Souls games, it never autosaves. Does anyone else have this happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Kobogartimer posted:

The game crashes on me every once in a while when I try to rest at a sanctuary, and unlike Souls games, it never autosaves. Does anyone else have this happen?

Only when I died it sometimes crashed and I lost that run. Happened twice.

Tip for all bosses

Play a mage, naked, dodge roll everything, nuke like there is no tomorrow. People who complain about i-frames have not played naked.

• Locked thread