Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
On the daredevil note. I started at Kevin Smith and am up to Bruckbauer. Is it still good after that? When should I stop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Die Laughing posted:

My favorite petty use of powers is super villains in the older cartoons demonstrating their might by destroying miniature statues of the super heroes. Chameleon from the "Seven Little Super Heroes" episode of Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends is a great example, and I'm sure the Legion of Doom have done it several times in Super Friends.

Not so miniature, but I enjoyed the pre-ride cartoon at Doctor Doom' Fear Fall in Islands of Adventure. He beats statues of the FF until they crumble, which I imagine is more satisfying (and expensive) than simply popping balloons with their faces on them, Wii Boxing their avatars, or writing their names on a piece of paper and putting it in his boot.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Jordan7hm posted:

On the daredevil note. I started at Kevin Smith and am up to Bruckbauer. Is it still good after that? When should I stop?

If I'm not mistaken, it's "stop after Brubaker, pick it up again with Waid".

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

I would have skipped Kevin Smith entirely tbh. Brubaker and the Mark Waid run are both fantastic.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mover posted:

I would have skipped Kevin Smith entirely tbh. Brubaker and the Mark Waid run are both fantastic.

You forgot Bendis.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mover posted:

Eh, it was fine. Technically I did skip it this time, I read it a few years ago and stopped when it ended.

I started to read Brubaker but without the Bendis run I didn't have a clue what was going on.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Eh, it was fine. Technically I did skip it this time, I read it a few years ago and stopped when it ended.

I started to read Brubaker but without the Bendis run I didn't have a clue what was going on.

The problem with the Smith sun is its a real greatest hits run. Remember Born again here it is again , but this time with AIDS and attempted child murder! Remember Elektra well here is again with Karen Page. Remember Kraven's last hunt? Here is Mysterio doing it!

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

No, I'm just curious if you're planning to read nearly every single comic Marvel has published in over 60 years. Because that's a loving fools errand. If you enjoy having big reading projects I'd recommend Lee/Kirby FF (103 issues and some annuals) Frank Miller Daredevil, Claremont's Uncanny X-Men, New Mutants and Excalibur

Add Simonson's Thor to that list. Come for Thorse, stay for Volstagg's philosophy of food.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

DigitalRaven posted:

Add Simonson's Thor to that list. Come for Thorse, stay for Volstagg's philosophy of food.

Absolutely, read this.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DigitalRaven posted:

Also one of the most badass scenes in comic history.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Also one of the most badass scenes in comic history.

Simonson's Thor contains four of the top five most badass scenes in comic history.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What's that about the greatest moment in the history of Thor?

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Ultragonk posted:

Oh no, that was a joke it's taken me a few months to read the Ultimate universe mostly because I didn't have the free time I do now so I was just reading in drips and drabs. I do want to read a ton of main continuity comics though. I'm already up to Uncanny X-Men 211 and Amazing Spider-Man 127 I didn't know that Daredevil could be so good so I've added that to the list. Mind you the list of stuff i want to read keeps growing and is a bit out of control I may have to do the sensible thing and just chuck some stuff and slim down my reading list.

It's semi-tangential to the rest of the Marvel Universe, but you're going to want to add Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E. to your list. You could read the entire series in a day. It's arguably the best thing Warren Ellis has ever written.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

ecavalli posted:

It's semi-tangential to the rest of the Marvel Universe, but you're going to want to add Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E. to your list. You could read the entire series in a day. It's arguably the best thing Warren Ellis has ever written.

Thanks for the recommendation, I just read up on it and it sounds like a very interesting read.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ecavalli posted:

And thanks to Al Ewing, it's canon now!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

And thanks to Al Ewing, it's canon now!

Brian Reed made it canon in Ms Marvel years ago.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rhyno posted:

Brian Reed made it canon in Ms Marvel years ago.

I figured Millar was that kind of person.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I feel like Millar would appreciate that gag, considering he based a whole magazine around the same vaguely dirty obscure comic printing joke. (I also think the actual word being written is funnier than the thing you're 'supposed' to think.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gaz-L posted:

I feel like Millar would appreciate that gag, considering he based a whole magazine around the same vaguely dirty obscure comic printing joke. (I also think the actual word being written is funnier than the thing you're 'supposed' to think.)

My brain reads it as "Mark Millar licks goats", and that's good enough for me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is Jessica Drew the first single mother superhero? At least with a kid where that status matters? I know Kate Spencer was a single mom, but her son was college age, before she was Manhunter, right?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Does Madelyne Pryor count?

Edit: Found this Mother's Day thing Marvel posted last year: http://marvel.com/cards/107/happy_marvel_mothers_day/

From that list, definitely Jubilee. Tigra and Madame Web possibly, I'm not familiar with their stories.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 17, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Is Jessica Drew the first single mother superhero? At least with a kid where that status matters? I know Kate Spencer was a single mom, but her son was college age, before she was Manhunter, right?

Nah, there have been others before. It just usually gets retconned out after a while, usually with "i gave it up for adoption to protect it" or something similar.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Golden Oldie is basically the mother for that nice young Parker boy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Carol Danvers

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

usually with "i gave it up for adoption to protect it" or something similar.
The Stephanie Brown Story

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Jay Faerber did a single mother superhero whose crime-fighting partner was her teenage daughter, though I think it was only a one-shot or a miniseries. They were supporting characters in Dynamo 5 after that.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
The Pro was a single mother.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

The Pro was a single mother.
I was actually thinking that but I could not recall if she actually had a son she was taking care of.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

redbackground posted:

I was actually thinking that but I could not recall if she actually had a son she was taking care of.

She gave not-Superman a blow job out of gratitude because he saved her kid from a bad guy.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Catwoman had a kid for a couple of months before they realized how dumb that was and it went off to the "for her own protection and also until she can be quietly retconned out" orphanage where all the superhero babies eventually go.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Jay Faerber did a single mother superhero whose crime-fighting partner was her teenage daughter, though I think it was only a one-shot or a miniseries. They were supporting characters in Dynamo 5 after that.

Firebirds.

There's also Mantra, who only kind of counts because she's actually a centuries-old dude.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Catwoman had a kid for a couple of months before they realized how dumb that was and it went off to the "for her own protection and also until she can be quietly retconned out" orphanage where all the superhero babies eventually go.

:ohdear: hope it's not like the farm where they send old dogs.

Also isn't Julia Carpenter a single mother? I can't remember if her baby daddy was on the scene now and I can't remember if she's even in a book anymore.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

Does Madelyne Pryor count?

Edit: Found this Mother's Day thing Marvel posted last year: http://marvel.com/cards/107/happy_marvel_mothers_day/

From that list, definitely Jubilee. Tigra and Madame Web possibly, I'm not familiar with their stories.

Crystal from Inhumans was married to Quicksilver when she had Luna, but they got estranged and I have to imagine divorced at some point, since she later married Ronan.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Pryor doesn't count because she lost her kid very quickly after Scott left.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Didn't jubilee steal that baby?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kizudarake posted:

Didn't jubilee steal that baby?

Yes but Battle of the Atom showed a version of Jubes what raised him to adulthood so I guess kidnapping isn't the worst thing.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Yes but Battle of the Atom showed a version of Jubes what raised him to adulthood so I guess kidnapping isn't the worst thing.

Hey, I didn't criticize that she did it, it just makes it sound like they're celebrating Ashleigh Wade.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Did Magneto and Apocalypse ever team up? I am reasonably sure magneto was never a horseman (as I think he is in the movie) but they didn't really seem like two dudes who would see eye to eye on much

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Did Magneto and Apocalypse ever team up? I am reasonably sure magneto was never a horseman (as I think he is in the movie) but they didn't really seem like two dudes who would see eye to eye on much

They teamed up once in the '92 cartoon (Sinister was also there) and Magneto was a horseman in Evolution, but I don't think they teamed up in the comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Magneto has been one of his generals in alternate universe and vice-versa in House of M, but it never lasts very long.