Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Flashback isn't in this set

That's true. Rats. Ayli, Sorin, and that new demon land seem like they're missing a couple key pieces to be a tier 1 deck in the new standard and I really hope they get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Elyv posted:

well the prerelease is in april so

unless they're doing it for yom kippur

It's right after Easter. The Halloween candy last time wasn't given out exactly on Halloween either.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

TheKingofSprings posted:

How the gently caress does this work

Got a source on this?
I may have pulled it out of my rear end and convinced myself it's true. But given how terrible mana dorks are lately they're definitely making it simpler.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Panderfringe posted:

I may have pulled it out of my rear end and convinced myself it's true. But given how terrible mana dorks are lately they're definitely making it simpler.

They are making mana dorks worse because they want to make 3-drops and 4-drops better.

Also worsen early game ramp in general. Rampant Growth is notably absent even. It's kind of all a reaction to INN-RTR standard. And probably Wolf Run Ramp too.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 17, 2016

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sharzak posted:

Man I hope we get a lingering souls reprint. I'd really love to run Ayli and Sorin in an Orzhov Tokens deck with that new vindicate

Not unless they bring back Flashback as a mechanic in Eldritch Moon.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
How quickly we forget THS/KTK's turn two Anafenzas and turn 3 Rhinos.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
It's fitting to release an Innistrad set now because we all know that Easter is a holiday celebrating the world's most famous zombie, Jesus.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
You know KTK/BFZ standard is literally the first standard without 1-cost mana dorks in some capacity?

They may be wanting to try more than just one block without them.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

Sorin doesn't seem like he gets there. I mean, he's technically harder to cast than Elspeth or Chandra and worse than either one because he doesn't really bring you back when you are losing. I don't know. I'm reminded a lot of Garruk, Apex Predator. I just think he's too expensive for what he does. I just feel like the situation he is good in is the same situation that Linvala is good in and Linvala doesn't do anything in constructed.

I just don't think his potential to affect the board is significant enough for 6 mana.

I agree with this. Usually to see constructed play 4-5 mana walkers need to protect themselves from one threat at a time (Ob Nixilis, ROE Gideon, Ajani Vengeant), or have minus abilities that are so good you run 4 and don't care if one dies (new Nissa, new Gideon, Jace Architect of Thought). 6+ mana walkers need to clear the board (Chandra, Elspeth, Ugin).

The land that comes back from the graveyard is really good, I don't know what you guys are smoking. That fact that it taps for only colorless kind of sucks but it's card advantage. It's especially good in Limited, where any time you discard it or mill it you get to still hit a later land drop. I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one other card besides the card draw spell that lets you sack a land to do something good.

The new green creature tutor is also very good, I wish I knew how easy it is to turn on Delirium. I think it's on par with Oath of NIssa including the fact that it should be a common or uncommon. It always gets you a land early, and mid to late game it gets you whatever you want. I'm on board.

The land that turns into a giant Demon is cool although this standard seems to be all about Reflector Mage, and this guy sucks against it. It's also real bad vs. Ugin/Ulamog. It's still a land that makes dudes and is a giant win condition, and requires instant speed removal to avoid taking 9 to the face and there is only one playable land destruction spell in standard so I think it will see play.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Zoness posted:

They are making mana dorks worse because they want to make 3-drops and 4-drops better.

Also worsen early game ramp in general. Rampant Growth is notably absent even. It's kind of all a reaction to INN-RTR standard. And probably Wolf Run Ramp too.

Figures they'd take corrective action against the most enjoyable standard environment in years.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Sperling continuing his Magic Ethicist column on CFB, including a scenario on knowingly exploiting MTGO bugs and what a players' responsibility is in those situations. He takes up David Sirlin's "Playing to Win" mantle:

quote:

“Players often fault other players for 'cheating' or playing 'dishonestly' when they use tactics that should not be allowed in a tournament, often because they are exploits of bugs. The player is never at fault. The player is merely trying to win with all tools available to him and should not be expected to pull his punches. Complaints should be taken up with the governing body of the tournament (or the community of players) as to what should be allowed in a tournament. This is a dead simple issue that confuses too many players.”

This is one of those typical autistic internet nerd approaches that may be on one extreme end of the spectrum, but it's interesting to consider nonetheless I think.

Thought it was also interesting given the situation LSV faced the other day with a player intentionally activating that Waxmane Baku bug against him -- and suicidesteve mentioning that that's a bannable offense. Sperling actually addresses that point in his article, noting that as far as he could tell, intentionally exploiting a bug in Magic Online appears nowhere in Wizards' MTGO code of conduct.

Not really going anywhere with this, just a topic off of spoilerchat that might spur discussion.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Well it's good to confirm that Sperling has no business positioning himself as an ethicist. I shouldn't really be surprised by that though, since he's a lawyer.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What's there to really discuss? It's ok if a wizard professional does it. It is not if it's a random nobody.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

sarmhan posted:

Well it's good to confirm that Sperling has no business positioning himself as an ethicist. I shouldn't really be surprised by that though, since he's a lawyer.
"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, my client was only exploiting a known bug in the coding of reality that involves improper collision detection between human bodies and knives, which then causes the person to die. But this isn't his fault; he was only trying to acquire money using the tools given to him. Complaints should be taken up with the governing body of reality as to what should be allowed in it."

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
The problem with using Sirlin's stance on bugs is that Sirlins examples for what constitute bugs is based on inductively assuming what behavior should be with no clear counterexample while magic online's mission statement is to imitate paper magic so interactions that don't work in paper should fall into a category that shouldn't be allowed online.

I agree with sperling that wizards should probably be more proactive about it (Riot and the guys who do ptcgo are very proactive about disabling bugged game units, for example), but at the same time, there's the view that publically talking about the bug somehow makes it worse and is bad PR (which I think is ridiculous because the problem is in and of itself derived from information asymmetry).

Bugs on MTGO also do fall into some weird categories because they can show up on cards that you would play anyway or on cards that you'd never touch ever:

1. Pillar of Flame not working during a PTQ. This made zombies the dominant deck. This is weird because a lot more people played zombies than people did in same format tournaments in paper, but this isn't really harshly punishable because there are definitely players who would play zombies anyway. Still, it should really invalidate the tournament, which sucks for people spending the time, but it's technically a different format than standard sooooo. Hallowed Moonlight kind of falls into this, you can conceivably accidentally run into the hallowed moonlight / flipwalker interaction without trying to and it's lovely.

2. Myr Superion - This is clearly a case of a card that you play because you know it works a particular way that defies paper expectations and this is stupid and wotc should just say that this isn't working properly and warn about / take account actions casting myr superion with noncreature produced mana.

3. Spirespine bug - anyone who does this more than once should be banned outright with no warning. Also Fatespinner is probably this category.

There was a precedent for WotC taking account action with no warning on people who did the Fatespinner bug, but at the same time LSV did mention there was a drawing bug with Fireball that they let slide, so it's kind of bad that they are rather inconsistent on this.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 17, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

When have they ever printed a creature tutor below rare? This isn't like Kozilek's Return, you aren't playing this card for the lovely front half, you're playing it because it becomes Green Sun's Zenith under delirium.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

How quickly we forget THS/KTK's turn two Anafenzas and turn 3 Rhinos.
And turn 4 Atarkas. And turn 5 Genesis Hydra for some absurd value of X.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 17, 2016

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Sperling continuing his Magic Ethicist column on CFB, including a scenario on knowingly exploiting MTGO bugs and what a players' responsibility is in those situations. He takes up David Sirlin's "Playing to Win" mantle:

poker players raus

all of this is acceptable if magic is actually gambling, and thus i imagine he would be fine with it being properly regulated as gambling and mtgo being illegal in america :tem:

if it is supposed to be some kind of esport like wizards likes to market it then sportsmanship needs to be a thing

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

code:
Diregraf Colossus
2B
Creature - Zombie Giant
Diregraf Colossus enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter for each Zombie card in your graveyard. 

Whenever you cast a Zombie spell, put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield tapped.
2/2

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
more like David Spergin and Matt Sperging
it's really easy to avoid going out of your way to exploit clear mistakes.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

sarmhan posted:

I don't know if its ironic or what that Ross Merriam just posted an article about how basically all pros cheat by colluding and accepting bribes but don't feel bad about it, even though they should (specifically putting Efro on blast):

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/32592_You-Play-To-Win-The-Game.html

Lets Pickle posted:

I agree with this. Usually to see constructed play 4-5 mana walkers need to protect themselves from one threat at a time (Ob Nixilis, ROE Gideon, Ajani Vengeant), or have minus abilities that are so good you run 4 and don't care if one dies (new Nissa, new Gideon, Jace Architect of Thought). 6+ mana walkers need to clear the board (Chandra, Elspeth, Ugin).

Yeah, I mean, the only example of a 6 or more CMC PW that sees play and doesn't have the capability of 2-for-1s is Karn and Karn wasn't that busted in Standard.

Karn's mostly busted if you can dump him early; not to mention he has a relatively ridiculous amount of loyalty if you use his worst ability and the ability to answer basically any problematic permanent.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 17, 2016

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Elyv posted:

code:
Diregraf Colossus
2B
Creature - Zombie Giant
Diregraf Colossus enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter for each Zombie card in your graveyard. 

Whenever you cast a Zombie spell, put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield tapped.
2/2

it's too bad this isn't legendary

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Irony Be My Shield posted:

When have they ever printed a creature tutor below rare? This isn't like Kozilek's Return, you aren't playing this card for the lovely front half, you're playing it because it becomes Green Sun's Zenith under delirium.

edit: tbf, this doesn't draw you the card, while the new one does (which i forgot when i complained about it being a sorcery earlier, which i now take back).

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 17, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

code:
Diregraf Colossus
2B
Creature - Zombie Giant

2/2

dies to silkwrap, therefore it is unplayable

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zoness posted:

3. Spirespine bug - anyone who does this more than once should be banned outright with no warning. Also Fatespinner is probably this category.

I don't know what spirespine is and google isn't working for me cuz i guess my internet feels like being retarded today

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yo the art on deathcap is disgusting, but why is that card a rare?

e;

Was talking about this with my friends hours ago:

T1 land, whatever
T2 land, vessel
T3 land, pop vessel, cast reality smasher.

I think you can probably take a turn off in standard if you're casting T3 smasher.

Depends on what you can do with your t1 play I guess.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mandatory lesbian posted:

I don't know what spirespine is and google isn't working for me cuz i guess my internet feels like being retarded today

There was a bug where IIRC if you bestowed this on an opponent's tapped guy and attacked, they would time out

A sample decklist:

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=8186&d=247168&f=ST

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Zoness posted:

dies to silkwrap, therefore it is unplayable

Silkwrap is rotating out. That new Land/Demon also dies to Silkwrap. I think whether it's playable will depend on whether or not there's good exile-based removal in the environment. That new 1WB exile spell is bad news for the Land/Demon.

mandatory lesbian posted:

There was a bug on MTGO where if you cast Spirespine targeting an opponent's tapped creature and then attacked, your opponent would lose the entire match. The dominant deck in the MTGO metagame became a deck that was all Spirespine, tutors, and tapper, and people even started building decks for the mirror with no non-Hexproof creatures.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Chamale posted:

Silkwrap is rotating out. That new Land/Demon also dies to Silkwrap. I think whether it's playable will depend on whether or not there's good exile-based removal in the environment. That new 1WB exile spell is bad news for the Land/Demon.

Silkwrap is in Dragons of Tarkir.

Also the card is obviously great.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Was this posted?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Elyv posted:

code:
Diregraf Colossus
2B
Creature - Zombie Giant

2/2
This guy seems pretty good with Relentless Dead

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Chamale posted:

you can just use the land as a vitu-ghazi, the city-tree against anyone who might be able to kill your giant idiot

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Elyv posted:

code:
Diregraf Colossus
2B
Creature - Zombie Giant

2/2

My modern Aristocrats brews are being thrown some serious bones by this set. This guy and Gravecrawler could be best buds.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Zoness posted:

Silkwrap is in Dragons of Tarkir.

Also the card is obviously great.

What the gently caress, I thought I understood the new block rotation. I looked it up, you're right.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Zoness posted:

dies to firey impulse, therefore it is unplayable

fixed for accuracy

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

80s James Hetfield posted:

fixed for accuracy

rude, I wouldn't misspell Guy Fieri Impulse.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Sirlin's stance on bugs makes sense for fighting games on arcade cabinets and older consoles where updates were difficult and costly and hard to make uniform. It was only with the mid-2000s consoles X360/Wii/PS3 that patching became a thing. Whatever bugs exist in Street Fighter 3 Alpha aren't going to get removed a few days later.

This isn't the case for MTGO, obviously because it's online. It changes constantly, and embracing bugs isn't a thing to do because they go away quickly, and because they're not actually Magic.

Zoness posted:

1. Pillar of Flame not working during a PTQ. This made zombies the dominant deck. This is weird because a lot more people played zombies than people did in same format tournaments in paper, but this isn't really harshly punishable because there are definitely players who would play zombies anyway. Still, it should really invalidate the tournament, which sucks for people spending the time, but it's technically a different format than standard sooooo. Hallowed Moonlight kind of falls into this, you can conceivably accidentally run into the hallowed moonlight / flipwalker interaction without trying to and it's lovely.

This is why I think that Sperling is wrong by being so reductionist, because it creates situations like these where tournaments aren't playing Magic because they're doing things contrary to what the cards say, like Myr Superion's rules text being ignored. You cannot do that in paper, and MTGO is not a different game, just a different avenue of the same game. It can turn individual tournaments into contests of who exploits the bug the best, which will never happen again because they'll be fixed by the next one (hopefully).

If you know anything about competitive Pokemon, you know a lot of the action is not on the games on Nintendo handhelds but on simulator programs that recreate the mechanics of battles. They streamline the process of getting a team together so that the focus is on the battles themselves. Accuracy is paramount here because they're simulating the process of battling on the actual games. A while back, the Pokemon Azumarril could learn the move Belly Drum (quadruples attack at the cost of half of its HP) or Aqua Jet (which always hits first regardless of speed) but not both at the same time. But a the simulator at the time did not account for this exclusivity and one could use a Belly Drum/Aqua Jet Azumarril and wreck faces. By what Sperling said I should've exploited the hell out of this and Aqua Jetted to the top ranks, but the act of doing so is contrary to the simulator's goal of recreating the games. And if the tournament switches over to physical copies then suddenly my team changes. What was I doing before, then?

So using Belly Drum/Aqua Jet Azumarril, or casting Myr Superion off of Forests, or whatever, we've accidentally stopped playing the game, only a flawed reproduction of it. So For 362 days of the year we're playing Magic but the other 3 we're playing Mogic where everything is the same but there's a 5/6 for 2.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Demonland seems like it could be pretty solid with an early-game hangarback. Maybe toss in some Sifter of Skulls and do the aristocrats thing with a 9/7 as a backup wincon in case you can't push a fat Husk through?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Chamale posted:

What the gently caress, I thought I understood the new block rotation. I looked it up, you're right.

It'll be easy to understand once BfZ is the oldest block, but imagine KTK and FRF are a block, and that DTK and ORI are a block. (for rotation purposes)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zoness posted:

There was a bug where IIRC if you bestowed this on an opponent's tapped guy and attacked, they would time out

A sample decklist:

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=8186&d=247168&f=ST

nasty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i absolutely think if you're abusing a bug like that you should be banned for a while

like maybe the first time it's an accident but if you're doing it over multiple games like a deck like that would do you need to go for a bit

• Locked thread