Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That reminds me of one of the old superhero RPG games which had a super ability specifically about maintaining the structural integrity of items in extreme situations so the hero could perform feats like lifting a ship without it falling apart around him.

I think they explained it in the comics as Kryptonians having 'Tactile Telekinesis' or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

X-Men Apocalypse just dropped a new trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfBVIHgQbYk

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Re rewatching movies chat, I don't often buy new movies, or go to the theater, or have Netflix, because I'm dirt poor. Thus, I just watch the movies I have. Over and over and over again. Luckily, they are mostly good movies. Like Dredd.

The MSJ posted:

First impression: owns. But if I'm not mistaken, Magneto's and Xavier's exchange from the beginning of the trailer is from the end of the first X-Men movie, how does that work they were old then and are young now!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Oh man, Quicksilver's scene is him running out of the exploding X-Mansion? Owns.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

The MSJ posted:

I like that they're keeping it within a certain time period, that shot of the missiles is chilling.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Im tired of Mystique. Mystique sucks now

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That reminds me of one of the old superhero RPG games which had a super ability specifically about maintaining the structural integrity of items in extreme situations so the hero could perform feats like lifting a ship without it falling apart around him.
How can Aquaman breathe underwater when water does not contain enough oxygen to support mammalian physiology?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just realized Quicksilver is the dude from American Horror Story (the one who has been in 3/3 of seasons that ive watched) - so I like him now cause I like that actor.

Im fickle.

Also the trailer looks pretty good actually - Psyclocke seems to have come right off the comic book pages. Why her and not everyone else for the most part?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Just realized Quicksilver is the dude from American Horror Story (the one who has been in 3/3 of seasons that ive watched) - so I like him now cause I like that actor.

Im fickle.

Also the trailer looks pretty good actually - Psyclocke seems to have come right off the comic book pages. Why her and not everyone else for the most part?

Storm's hair is almost her comic book hair.

Evan Peters was also in Kick-rear end with the other Quicksilver Aaron Taylor-Johnson.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Kurzon posted:

How can Aquaman breathe underwater when water does not contain enough oxygen to support mammalian physiology?

He sucks so hard that oxygen from the surface comes to him in little bubbles.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

net cafe scandal posted:

Is this the last one for her contract? Just sayin. The timeline has been changed so she doesn't necessarily have to survive this movie.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I hope Apocalypse actually does choke her to death, and her head explodes too.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

He sucks so hard that oxygen from the surface comes to him in little bubbles.

Look I'll say this again: Aquaman is going to star Jason Momoa and be directed by James loving Wan. Snyder has a huge nerd boner and called into a local radio show while he was filming BvS to defend Aquaman's honor. Aquaman is going to be loving great.

net cafe scandal posted:

:agreed:
You can tell they had to push her because it was Jennifer Lawrence, and she is just done with it. At least Fassbender looks like he's still trying.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Aquaman is going to end up being what other comic book movies wish they were.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

Look I'll say this again: Aquaman is going to star Jason Momoa and be directed by James loving Wan. Snyder has a huge nerd boner and called into a local radio show while he was filming BvS to defend Aquaman's honor. Aquaman is going to be loving great.

I know, and I'm hopeful for the movie. And that's precisely why I'm going to take any chance I can get to make jokes on Aquaman's expense, because soon that well will have run dry.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is this the last one for her contract? Just sayin. The timeline has been changed so she doesn't necessarily have to survive this movie.

I'm 90% sure this is her last one. Fingers crossed for a recast if they bring back Mystique.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Look at all those cars that are getting destroyed!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah that was hosed up, they're like, disintegrating. I can't unsee that.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

I wonder how likely is Fox hiring Joss Whedon to direct a future X-Men movie. He did write X-Men before this (movie and comics) and they would probably let him do whatever the heck he wants.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The weirdest thing about Apocalypse is like it's 90% Normal X-Men Movie Stuff and then there is Psylocke just poppin' in to be the closest thing to a literal comic character translated onscreen besides Deadpool.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Welp I'm sold.

Day one viewing for me

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HIJK posted:

I'm 90% sure this is her last one. Fingers crossed for a recast if they bring back Mystique.

She was signed to a three-movie deal for peanuts just before she exploded in popularity. There's no way she's doing another one.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Timby posted:

She was signed to a three-movie deal for peanuts just before she exploded in popularity. There's no way she's doing another one.
She'll do another one if they pay her good money.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Did I miss her or was Jubilee not in that trailer at all?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Detective No. 27 posted:

I also can't stress enough how he saved the lives of every man, woman, and dog on Earth by blowing up the World Engine.

No he saved the world, people had to save themselves.

it's the same as the saying "one death is a tragedy a million is a statistic."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Crows Turn Off posted:

She'll do another one if they pay her good money.

She's an Oscar winner and one of the two or three most sought after actresses in Hollywood. Whatever they may be able to pay her for an X-Men movie, she could get more starring in something that might actually get critical acclaim, and help her career. X-men is an ensemble, they aren't going to offer her 20+ million for the amount of screentime Mystique typically gets. Its not like Hunger Games where she's the entire franchise.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

9 Empire covers for the movie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sophie Turner is goddamned terrible and almost makes me not want to see the film.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Hey, cool. Rose Byrne gets her own supersuit.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I like the concept for the 9 covers, but as usual Empire executes it in the worst way.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Why do X-men costumes always look goofy? I guess it's part of the charm.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
50% awkward hand gestures by volume!

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

She's an Oscar winner and one of the two or three most sought after actresses in Hollywood. Whatever they may be able to pay her for an X-Men movie, she could get more starring in something that might actually get critical acclaim, and help her career.
All of the recent X-Men movies get massive critical acclaim and are box office hits. They will only help her career.

Her non-franchise movies don't do so well.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Sophie Turner is goddamned terrible and almost makes me not want to see the film.

Well RoboCop ain't gonna watch itself the 48th time.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

He's probably talking about the type of critical acclaim that wins you Oscars, not a high Rotten Tomatoes rating. Her non-franchise movies don't have big box office numbers but unless she's getting a percentage of the gross that doesn't matter to her.

It's all speculation at this point but she is a working actress so if the price is right and her role is good my guess is she will continue taking roles offered to her. With X-Men since it is an ensemble film that means less screen-time and money to go around (plus sitting in makeup) so she might pass. It won't be out of some weird snobiness, she is an already wealthy and in-demand actress, she can pick and choose what she wants to do.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
He's got X by the Wheelchair! :ohdear: I hope he ends up okay. This is too scary for me to see the movie now, I hope Apocalypse has a policy against hurting people of disability.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Electromax posted:

Well RoboCop ain't gonna watch itself the 48th time.

drat right it isn't.

To be fair I have watched it at least a dozen times since then.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

She is on the same level to me as Wolverine. I am just really tired of seeing these two X-Men, when that universe has so many more interesting mutants. First Class killing a few of them really pissed me off but I still like the two current X-Men movies a lot. Also Sophie Turner looks stupid and out of place in Apocalypse.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Crows Turn Off posted:

All of the recent X-Men movies get massive critical acclaim and are box office hits. They will only help her career.

Her non-franchise movies don't do so well.

Being part of an ensemble cast in a movie that is a box office hit doesn't do anything for her career at this point. By "help her career", I mean win her major acting awards, further cementing herself as a go-to actress for directors like David O. Russell.

She's at a crossroads. She can continue to take roles in major box-office franchises where her acting ability isn't really utilized, but those roles will dry up within the next ten years when she gets a little older. OR she can establish her self as a permanent fixture in the business and continue getting decent money roles well into her 40's and 50's like only a select few actress have been able to do(Meryl Streep, Jodie Foster to an extent). Depends on what she wants out of her career and how long she plans to continue acting, maybe she's already bored with it, who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

drat right it isn't.

To be fair I have watched it at least a dozen times since then.

That's because it's one of the best movies ever made.

No shame in that.

It's kind of like how Predator is the single best 1980s action movie ever made. It's not even fair.

• Locked thread