Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Frionnel posted:

Pretty fun how the police is so passive about these protests. a few dozen patriotic citizens closing part of Paulista Avenue the entire morning is just fine.

Now if it was a few thousand students closing the same Avenue to protest against the transport fares, and you didn't give the police the exact route you planned to follow, you were hosed.

Apartidarism :fap:

That's why the protesters keep thanking them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
The police wouldn't bother someone unless they had done something to deserve it. These people are just holding a demonstration in a calm and collected manner. If anything, they should count on the cooperation of the security services.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I'm loving how this mess is being responded to, much respect.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Help, i can't tell sarcasm from reality anymore

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Frionnel posted:

House of Cards is getting intense this season.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Frionnel posted:

We're the butt of a cruel joke.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Sergio Moro draws parallels to Nixon and Watergate to justify his wiretapping, possibly unaware that the scandal began with illegal wiretapping ordered by Nixon's people.

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/poder/2016/03/1750991-moro-defende-legalidade-de-grampo-e-traca-paralelo-entre-dilma-e-nixon.shtml

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Also conveniently skipping the fact that the release of the wiretaps were ordered by the Supreme Court after a legal process, not extrajudicially by a rogue judge.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

hoiyes posted:

Also conveniently skipping the fact that the release of the wiretaps were ordered by the Supreme Court after a legal process, not extrajudicially by a rogue judge.

IIRC Nixon himself wasn't even wiretapped, he was just forced to disclose his personal recording collection. The wiretapping happened when his associates broke into a DNC committee and installed listening devices. So yeah, really dumb comparison.

Edit: forgot to mention the wiretapping was made with FBI support, so scarily similar to what has been done to lula and dilma.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 17, 2016

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Meanwhile, protesters are still in Paulista Avenue without the cops moving in. Better yet, there's complimentary filet mignon!

http://www.valor.com.br/politica/4486600/fiesp-oferece-file-mignon-manifestantes-pro-impeachment-na-paulista

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

The Unnamed One posted:

Meanwhile, protesters are still in Paulista Avenue without the cops moving in. Better yet, there's complimentary filet mignon!

http://www.valor.com.br/politica/4486600/fiesp-oferece-file-mignon-manifestantes-pro-impeachment-na-paulista

Better than getting Habib's food i guess.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

nerdz posted:

IIRC Nixon himself wasn't even wiretapped, he was just forced to disclose his personal recording collection.

Yeah, it his own office recordings of his calls, which were released to investigators, and his own office was in control of the release to the public.

Brazilian public figures really need to lay off the historical analogies.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Frionnel posted:

Better than getting Habib's food i guess.

The biggest outlier of how hosed the inflation is is how the esfihas cost now. Seriously i used to spend only 10 bucks to eat a good bunch of them and now i'm lucky if it doesn't cost 30 now.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
http://noticias.uol.com.br/politica/ultimas-noticias/2016/03/17/camara-aprova-comissao-especial-do-impeachment-com-433-votos.htm

:laffo: Of course Maluf is on the impeachment commission.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Cavemen Moroni Torgan, Bolsonaro's son and Marco Feliciano are as well.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

The Cavemen Moroni Torgan, Bolsonaro's son and Marco Feliciano are as well.

They've stopped pretending that this is anything better than a circus.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
We're gonna have Temer as president, Cunha as the de facto vice president, and people pating themselves on the back for ending corruption.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Pretty much yeah.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I hate my stupid country.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Could be worse, the Ukrainian coup/revolution a couple of years ago involved honest-to-heart Nazis vying for positions of power. Thankfully they were mostly sidelined after the fact.

E: they still ended with a corrupt-as-hell dysfunctional parliament, so not great news either way.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Freezer posted:

Could be worse, the Ukrainian coup/revolution a couple of years ago involved honest-to-heart Nazis vying for positions of power.

Nazis usually get poo poo done, I see no problem with this

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

As an American, I'd like to say that what you all need is some labor flexibility.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Freezer posted:

Could be worse, the Ukrainian coup/revolution a couple of years ago involved honest-to-heart Nazis vying for positions of power. Thankfully they were mostly sidelined after the fact.

E: they still ended with a corrupt-as-hell dysfunctional parliament, so not great news either way.

But...but I thought we were done with the stupid and blatant political coups, I thought Brazil had reached that US of A level of petty politics and behind-the-scenes bullshit!

(It can always be worse, tho, we're in an enviable situation even compared to fellow emergent LA countries, nevermind Eastern Europe, South Asia and Africa)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Someone raised a monarchy flag in front of the palace

https://twitter.com/pandrest/status/710589469695610880

We are all crazy

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
See, it could always be worse.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

I keep hearing about people, even friends, getting harassed or attacked for wearing a red shirt or not thinking that Dilma should be impeached, so it's looking pretty bad

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

qnqnx posted:

Nazis usually get poo poo done, I see no problem with this

Dude it would honestly kick rear end if the Integralists actually came back with all this poo poo

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Yeahhhh they come to snuff the rooster

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
My knee jerk reaction was hopeful to say the least, that this shake-up would be the thing Brasil needed, until I started seeing people on social media starting to ask for a military coup. This isn't what I was hoping for at all.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
People like simple solutions. Authoritarians are pretty good at those.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Honest Thief posted:

My knee jerk reaction was hopeful to say the least, that this shake-up would be the thing Brasil needed, until I started seeing people on social media starting to ask for a military coup. This isn't what I was hoping for at all.

See, that's the issue. Brazil is a mess and PT is corrupt, but this "shake-up" could allow worse poo poo to float up to the top. Couple that with not-so-vested political interests driving the protests and an illusion that all that is happening is "spontaneous" and, well...

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Yeahhhh they come to snuff the rooster

drat cool logo

The Unnamed One posted:

People like simple solutions. Authoritarians are pretty good at those.

Often, the most simple solution is the better one.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Frionnel posted:

I keep hearing about people, even friends, getting harassed or attacked for wearing a red shirt or not thinking that Dilma should be impeached, so it's looking pretty bad

Yeah pretty hosed up and stuff but whatever let's hope that Integralists or fascists take over the country ASAP lol amirite cuz I'm a loving retard.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Frionnel posted:

Yeah, the people I know from São Paulo have been mentioning that stuff. Not much around here, but I have a friend over there who's genuinely afraid of this leading to purges driven by public violence and an eventual civil war. He sort of fantasizes about fighting in a guerrilla, so I hope he's wrong.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i keep thinking that brazilian people are too pacific and have way too much to lose on a civil war (especially the middle upper class people). but then again, probably so did people in every other country that had a civil war.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/poder/2016/03/1751302-alckmin-permitira-protesto-contra-dilma-durante-ato-do-pt-nesta-sexta.shtml

So Alckmin (Governor of São Paulo) wants people dead.

Bold move, let's see if it pays off.

E:

nerdz posted:

i keep thinking that brazilian people are too pacific and have way too much to lose on a civil war (especially the middle upper class people). but then again, probably so did people in every other country that had a civil war.

Hey man, didn't stop paulistas in the thirties

The Unnamed One fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 18, 2016

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They also wont give lula a government security detail.

Oh my god, lula's death and civil war starts tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
When the loving Sao Paulo police commanders start telling reporters that the state government is being unreasonable, things are seriously hosed up. Though I wonder if this isn't an attempt to keep pro-PT people away and then tomorrow morning they quietly keep the anti-PT protesters away. Because otherwise, no way this ends well.