Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

owl_pellet posted:

Who is Jim Sterling and who is Digital Homicide
Jim Sterling is a guy who gets angry about paying for DLC on a game. He made an argument about how having agreed to pay X amount of cash, he should have free access to everything that gets released. He was such an entitled baby over paying for his FOBs in Metal Gear Solid V.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Scalding Coffee posted:

Jim Sterling is a guy who gets angry about paying for DLC on a game. He made an argument about how having agreed to pay X amount of cash, he should have free access to everything that gets released. He was such an entitled baby over paying for his FOBs in Metal Gear Solid V.

day one DLC is pretty BS and shouldn't be in full-priced games IMO

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

I think my favorite of his nonsense is blaming people for making DmC:Devil May Cry fail and pinning it on "entitled gamers hating on Dante's hair".

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
He has a point there. DmC was awesome, but fans of the original games hosed it up.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Blaming a reboot's failure on old fans is pretty dumb. The whole point is to try and grab a new audience.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

WickedHate posted:

He has a point there. DmC was awesome, but fans of the original games hosed it up.

hosed it up by having opinions, how awful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Being fans of a franchise does not mean you're obligated to continue supporting or buying it if it goes in a direction you dislike. If DmC failed to appeal to the old fans and failed to get new fans that is entirely on it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

WickedHate posted:

DMC was a bad game, the enhanced is apparently better but not great.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It did get new fans, but old fans refused to buy it on principle and bad mouthed it nonstop. Most people who gave it a chance enjoyed it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

to be fair, having to pay for fobs in mgs5 was really dumb and made no sense

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That is revisionist as gently caress.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

WickedHate posted:

It did get new fans, but old fans refused to buy it on principle and bad mouthed it nonstop. Most people who gave it a chance enjoyed it.

:shrug: Most fans I've seen rag on it do so with fairly detailed criticisms of the gameplay.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Manatee Cannon posted:

to be fair, having to pay for fobs in mgs5 was really dumb and made no sense

Also resource holding to force online, paying to rush items, other microtransactions, etc.

Edit: Steam loves new Dante.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
DMC was a mediocre as gently caress and tryhard as poo poo and anyone who rushes to defend it saying that main series fans were being unreasonable are lolzworthy. (Because they weren't, they had very reasonable and relevant complaints.)

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

the steam thread is where people defend DmC: Devil May Cry and paid FOBs in MGSV as good ideas

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jamfrost posted:

Also resource holding to force online, paying to rush items, other microtransactions, etc.

Edit: Steam loves new Dante.

yea mgs5 was a hot mess when it came to the business model

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
DmC was a good spectacle brawler but a bad Devil May Cry game, that's where most of the hate from "old fans" comes from. Well, that and the edginess, which was kinda stupid.

I had fun with it on the ps3 and it's a shame the enhanced version will not make it to the pc because the devs are lazy fucks, I would have bought it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

So should old fans have bought a game that they thought looks bad just because?

Not to mention there were plenty of criticism about the gameplay. They put out an enhanced edition of the game which addressed a lot of them.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ShadowMar posted:

the steam thread is where people defend DmC: Devil May Cry and paid FOBs in MGSV as good ideas
Yeah, forgot to say the latter is lolzworthy too.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Scalding Coffee posted:

Jim Sterling is one of countless fat men with Strong Opinions on video games, which means way too many people care what he thinks. Including weirdos who hate him but have an encyclopedic knowledge of his every review and aside just so they can prove how Objectively Wrong he is every time he's brought up.

e. DmC was fun, cry some more about losing your sexy anime bishie boy and having a fighting system that don't require autism to enjoy.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

as someone who pc gamed in the days when Epic gave away tons of UT99/UT2K* maps for free to the community for the purposes of (whoa!!!) building a community, i do look at DLC for games a lot and go "alright okay champs"

i don't feel that way about single player DLC campaigns, but i do feel it on multiplayer DLC, on microtransactions, etc

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Keys for the multiplayer Ghost in the Shell shooter. Follow the text formatting.

FVPWC-GCF05-YH4X2
X2T7C-EQLAN-MQKGW
0QHIL-7C4Z9-5BNJQ

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

Jim Sterling is one of countless fat men with Strong Opinions on video games, which means way too many people care what he thinks. Including weirdos who hate him but have an encyclopedic knowledge of his every review and aside just so they can prove how Objectively Wrong he is every time he's brought up.

e. DmC was fun, cry some more about losing your sexy anime bishie boy and having a fighting system that don't require autism to enjoy.

The original DMC was not a complicated game. The reboot was just boring.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

people who say DmC is the worst DMC should try playing DMC2 again and see how far they get

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

except nobody defends DMC2 so i don't get your point

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i played it recently and i want others to understand my pain

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

We do man, we do.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Quest For Glory II posted:

why would you do that to yourself :(

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Quest For Glory II posted:

DMC fans understand, they just repressed the memories.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Zombie Samurai posted:

Keys for the multiplayer Ghost in the Shell shooter. Follow the text formatting.

FVPWC-GCF05-YH4X2
X2T7C-EQLAN-MQKGW
0QHIL-7C4Z9-5BNJQ

I got the underlined one. Thanks!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DmC is a bad DMC game. DMC2 is a bad game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I still think DMC is a bad game but two is so much worse.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WickedHate posted:

old fans refused to buy it because it was bad, actually

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Zombie Samurai posted:

FVPWC-GCF05-YH4X2
X2T7C-EQLAN-MQKGW
0QHIL-7C4Z9-5BNJQ

Well, let's see how this is. Thank you for the bold code.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I just found out Necropolis was delayed and that Salt and Sanctuary will be coming to PC. I really want to play the latter.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Rookersh posted:

Yeah.

For those who haven't been paying attention, since release they

- Completely reworked the campaign to be more unlock/roguelike focused.

- Completely reworked the combat, adding in an XCOM style combat mode.

and then after people pointed out the flaws in both of those things reworked them again, this time making a new campaign that encouraged you to explore the map more, and now have made the combat 1:1 with XCOM.

It's a good game now, and it's a shame nobody is going back to take a look at it. They've been listening and reworking their game over the last year in ways most devs wouldn't.

You get one shot to make a good first impression and you don't impress strategy or roguelike fans trying to be too loving cute with lovely unintuitive mechanics.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Thanks, thread, for reminding me that i need to go back and finish DmC, because i liked what i played of it before i got sidetracked by other games

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

AngryBooch posted:

You get one shot to make a good first impression and you don't impress strategy or roguelike fans trying to be too loving cute with lovely unintuitive mechanics.

It's on sale and I am actually considering it if they really have improved it

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

lmao

e: why are fans of NT games always so weird and aggressive

Motto fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I took the plunge and bought that Pharoah Rebirth game; it seems quite good so far. Surprised I hadn't heard of it before now.

• Locked thread