Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

GalacticAcid posted:

She already included the tweet in a fundraising email haha.

I expect it to show up in quite a few fundraising emails. That poo poo is just a gimme to Democrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Total lie. Toomey won't be in the senate then.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

lol toomey nooooooo pull up

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I think he was trying to take the Republican motto of "It's not the person, it's the principle!" thing to it's logical end and show how he was being principled in his obstruction, but messed up the execution.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I'm surprised the senate GOP caucus didn't let him break ranks on this issue. Would be a perfect "moderate" thing to do before what promises to be a nasty election for him, and it wouldn't swing the nomination either way.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

it is surprising, i had thought he was considered a pretty good maneuverer when it came to pretending to be centrist too. i guess aside from the immediate fundraising there's no real repercussions this early, but if he's gonna act like this all year he probably hurts his chances, and therefore his party's chances at holding this stupid legislative body

as for the issue at hand, i kinda hope the gop fucks themselves out of this guy and we end up with a younger more leftist nominee - but i dont really know what to think

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
McCain's holding out on Garland until after the election as well. Kirkpatrick is a strong candidate - won't be strong enough to unseat McCain of course but I'm hoping if she keeps it close a few House districts might turn.

But lol gerrymandering.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

if you're talking about arizona's house map, it isn't gerrymandered, it's drawn by an independent commission that republicans hate and have been trying very hard to subvert
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redistricting_in_Arizona
http://azredistricting.org/
if anything the requirement their commission has for creating "potentially competitive" seats probably helps democrats

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Oo sweet, I had heard Kirkpatrick's district had been redrawn into tougher borders, so I assumed it was gerrymandering at work. Thanks for clarifying.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

GalacticAcid posted:

McCain's holding out on Garland until after the election as well. Kirkpatrick is a strong candidate - won't be strong enough to unseat McCain of course but I'm hoping if she keeps it close a few House districts might turn.

https://twitter.com/scottwongDC/status/710552711838769152

:fap:

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

GalacticAcid posted:

Oo sweet, I had heard Kirkpatrick's district had been redrawn into tougher borders, so I assumed it was gerrymandering at work. Thanks for clarifying.

yw. i'm not totally attuned to the details of arizona districting, i don't know what last decade's map was like, so i know less than you about that part of your point

as far as mccain losing, it could happen but in a republican-leaning state it's likely that those undecideds will disproportionately fall in behind him once the primary is over. i think he got lucky with his primary opponent, though, it's just the lady who held a hearing on chemtrails right?

if the establishment completely fucks over the will of their voting base at the presidential convention i guess he'd be among the candidates who would suffer most from the anti-establishment backlash. at the same time, arizona could be a site for democrat gains in the dream trumpocalypse scenario of heavily increased hispanic turnout and heavily decreased republican turnout. so the combination of being an unpopular establishment figure and running in a state with lots of hispanics could make mccain uniquely vulnerable by millionth-term incumbent standards this year. could be interesting

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/710558139876302852

would not have guessed this given AZ hasn't been mentioned in a lot of toss-up lists

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

thethreeman posted:

would not have guessed this given AZ hasn't been mentioned in a lot of toss-up lists
Sadly I think it's because he's not conservative enough for a lot of the GOP voters there

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

Sadly I think it's because he's not conservative enough for a lot of the GOP voters there

That combined with a brewing clusterfuck on the presidential ticket could produce a decent suppressive effect. I'm not holding my breath for Arizona, but a bunch if I satisfied republican voters isn't a bad thing.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah, if you look at the tabs it is because he gets very low marks from Democrats, but he also only gets about 50% from Republicans. If he was closer to the "normal" 80-85% support from your own party, he'd be close to 50/50.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

thethreeman posted:

That'd be fun, to see McCain taken down. And it'd leave poor Lindsey Graham all alone in the Senate. The man would probably drink himself to death. :getin:

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

Kazak_Hstan posted:

That combined with a brewing clusterfuck on the presidential ticket could produce a decent suppressive effect. I'm not holding my breath for Arizona, but a bunch if I satisfied republican voters isn't a bad thing.

I've seen a lot of speculation that a Cruz nom could lead to an even worse loss in the prez election than a Trump nom, given Cruz's rigid, far-right ideology and lack of space to move to the center - but given how they're behaving, it's clear the GOPe is more comfortable with Cruz in the GE (which I assume is 99% driven by down ticket races, since neither should win prez).

Do they just reject the "Trump could do better in the general given independents and reagen dems" premise altogether? Or is the fear that there would be a lot of voters that would split their tickets between Trump for Prez and Dems for Senate/House? That seems... unlikely to me, but I've never paid much attention to senate/house voting before this year. I would intuitively assume that whoever drives greater total GOP turnout for prez in states with tight down ticket races (lots of purple/blue states) would do the same for those other races

Or maybe we'll get messy convention leaving 40% of GOP voters feeling spiteful so it really won't matter :pray:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Sharron Angle is running for Senate again! :toot:

https://nvsos.gov/index.aspx?page=1556

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

thethreeman posted:

I've seen a lot of speculation that a Cruz nom could lead to an even worse loss in the prez election than a Trump nom, given Cruz's rigid, far-right ideology and lack of space to move to the center - but given how they're behaving, it's clear the GOPe is more comfortable with Cruz in the GE (which I assume is 99% driven by down ticket races, since neither should win prez).

Do they just reject the "Trump could do better in the general given independents and reagen dems" premise altogether? Or is the fear that there would be a lot of voters that would split their tickets between Trump for Prez and Dems for Senate/House? That seems... unlikely to me, but I've never paid much attention to senate/house voting before this year. I would intuitively assume that whoever drives greater total GOP turnout for prez in states with tight down ticket races (lots of purple/blue states) would do the same for those other races

Or maybe we'll get messy convention leaving 40% of GOP voters feeling spiteful so it really won't matter :pray:

I think the fear is of Trump permanently pissing off certain parts of the population.

edit: Also, Jesus loving Christ, Angle. Previous years' polling always showed her doing awfully but I bet she's going to try to hitch onto the Trump wagon. Unfortunately for her Nevadans have already voted for president.

Cliff Racer has issued a correction as of 00:21 on Mar 19, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cliff Racer posted:

I think the fear is of Trump permanently pissing off certain parts of the population.

edit: Also, Jesus loving Christ, Angle. Previous years' polling always showed her doing awfully but I bet she's going to try to hitch onto the Trump wagon. Unfortunately for her Nevadans have already voted for president.

Yeah, the overriding fear of Trump is that he drives a bunch of people into political participation who then stay there. They're paying lip service to the idea that he's setting back minority outreach by the Republicans by decades, but they've already been doing quite a good job of pissing any attempts away on their own. The only real difference between Trump and the rest of the field on the border is that they're not being blunt about thinking all Mexicans should die in a tire fire.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The DSCC officially endorsed McGinty today, which I'm sort of shocked hadn't happened already.

The polls are still pretty close but I would bet on her outperforming them given the union endorsements (SEIU, AFT, Steelworkers, probably others but those alone should swing it), ad buys coming from Emily's List, and probably additional buys from the DSCC hoard.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
DKE is speculating that they are doing it to try to boost her fundraising, which points to her needing more money. Its funny that people are bitching that Sestak spent his time walking around the state instead of donation seeking but you look now and he's still got more money than her.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Sen. Jerry Moran (R-KS) has called for hearings on the Garland nomination.

Seems that it's more than just the moderates who think that the Senate should be doing their jobs.

Either that, or he's reading the same polls we are and going "if we don't do this we'll be in the minority again in November".

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Cook report moved Toomey (R-PA) and Portman (R-OH) to toss up from lean GOP

http://cookpolitical.com/senate/charts/race-ratings/9421

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Cliff Racer posted:

DKE is speculating that they are doing it to try to boost her fundraising, which points to her needing more money. Its funny that people are bitching that Sestak spent his time walking around the state instead of donation seeking but you look now and he's still got more money than her.

I know you're bullish on the guy but I think you'd be crazy to bet against the union choice in a low-turnout primary.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 minutes!
e: How is Kirk considered a toss-up? Isn't he consistently losing by a good bit in polls?

Alter Ego posted:

Sen. Jerry Moran (R-KS) has called for hearings on the Garland nomination.

Seems that it's more than just the moderates who think that the Senate should be doing their jobs.

Either that, or he's reading the same polls we are and going "if we don't do this we'll be in the minority again in November".

Tea Party babies in his state are looking to primary him in response to his decision to do his job. :laugh:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It'd be kind of great if a bunch of Tea Party assholes tried to primary Senators for talking about maybe, just maybe, doing their job and just lost across the board. Not a single incumbent ousted for supporting doing their Constitutional duty. Then all those Senators lost in the general for pussyfooting around doing their loving job.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Alter Ego posted:

Kirk is losing his seat anyway, so this is his last-ditch attempt to stop Duckworth from taking it.

Never doubt how much democrats can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Obama and Biden both endorsed McGinty.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica
Obama endorses Senate, Attorney General candidates in Pennsylvania

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Just saw a commercial by Kelly Ayotte defending her stance in blocking the Supreme Court nomination process.

Yeah, RIP

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Are you sure that wasn't an outside group's?

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/the-buzz-florida-politics/investigators-find-numerous-potential-ethics-violations-by-alan-grayson/2271978

Yikes. Anyone following the FL race more closely than me know if this is as bad as it reads? I was under the impression Grayson was the Dem to beat but I'm way out of date on this

vv haha, k thanks

thethreeman has issued a correction as of 04:01 on Apr 7, 2016

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

thethreeman posted:

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/the-buzz-florida-politics/investigators-find-numerous-potential-ethics-violations-by-alan-grayson/2271978

Yikes. Anyone following the FL race more closely than me know if this is as bad as it reads? I was under the impression Grayson was the Dem to beat but I'm way out of date on this

Murphy is the Dem to beat.

Grayson is Donald Trump without charisma and nominating him would hand the seat to the republicans.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

afaik grayson is a corrupt finance industry rich guy who decided to become the louie gohmert of the left

that can earn a guy a following but it turns out maybe he should've been satisfied with coasting in a safe house district 'cause now his poo poo is falling apart. but i'm guessing he's an egomaniac, so here we are

this whole thing where the democrats are going to spend a shitload of money propping up a demonstrably lesser candidate against sestak because he hosed up the deal they made with arlen specter when he switched parties six years ago by beating him in a primary seems pretty ugly, but i guess if you're gonna be a political machine you have to follow through when somebody goes against you. it's not exactly hopey or changey is it

i say mcginty's demonstrably lesser because she doesn't have an impressive electoral history and trails by a large margin in primary polls even as undecideds seem to be dwindling (although it's really way too early for the polling point) while sestak not only beat sestak but barely lost in the biggest republican wave election of our generation

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 04:16 on Apr 7, 2016

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

thethreeman posted:

vv haha, k thanks

Short version is the Florida branch of the Democratic party is by and large poo poo. Case in point: Debbie Wasserman Schultz.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

oystertoadfish posted:

afaik grayson is a corrupt finance industry rich guy who decided to become the louie gohmert of the left

that can earn a guy a following but it turns out maybe he should've been satisfied with coasting in a safe house district 'cause now his poo poo is falling apart. but i'm guessing he's an egomaniac, so here we are

this whole thing where the democrats are going to spend a shitload of money propping up a demonstrably lesser candidate against sestak because he hosed up the deal they made with arlen specter when he switched parties six years ago by beating him in a primary seems pretty ugly, but i guess if you're gonna be a political machine you have to follow through when somebody goes against you. it's not exactly hopey or changey is it

i say mcginty's demonstrably lesser because she doesn't have an impressive electoral history and trails by a large margin in primary polls even as undecideds seem to be dwindling (although it's really way too early for the polling point) while sestak not only beat sestak but barely lost in the biggest republican wave election of our generation

Sestak also apparently was a terrible campaigner and wouldn't play ball with anyone. Also a complete rear end according to what I've heard from folks I know back in PA in politics. Like Ted Cruz but a Dem.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

axeil posted:

Sestak also apparently was a terrible campaigner and wouldn't play ball with anyone. Also a complete rear end according to what I've heard from folks I know back in PA in politics. Like Ted Cruz but a Dem.

im not surprised to hear any of that, but man he must have pissed everybody off for the whole democratic party all the way up to obama to pile in without mcginty really showing anything (i guess they got her a good fundraising report)

i bet there's a lot of horrible assholes in politics who dont get this sort of treatment

i dunno i dont really have any care about it, it just seems like an odd occurrence. i guess that's because sestak is so hateable

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

oystertoadfish posted:

im not surprised to hear any of that, but man he must have pissed everybody off for the whole democratic party all the way up to obama to pile in without mcginty really showing anything (i guess they got her a good fundraising report)

i bet there's a lot of horrible assholes in politics who dont get this sort of treatment

i dunno i dont really have any care about it, it just seems like an odd occurrence. i guess that's because sestak is so hateable

Sestak is just a guy who doesn't listen to anyone and is impossible to work with. I think the only thing anyone fears more than losing that seat is having to work with Sestak for 6 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Sestak and Cruz will become inseparable friends.

• Locked thread