Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PupsOfWar posted:

really the thing I like most about Ultimate F4 is that sue is a super-scientist too, which makes it feel less like "Reed Richards and his hangers-on"

hell, why not throw in ben and johnny too

The thing i like least of UFF is Greg Land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Literally The Worst posted:

Is that like

An ongoing concern that the general American populace gives a poo poo about tho

at my high school we went to a lot of assemblies where we were shown videos and presentations about how much smarter all of the other countries' kids were than us

this was to scare us into doing good on standardized tests

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

mandatory lesbian posted:

kewl im a be a fighter pilot man

*pew pew pew*

you're gonna be top gun

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

PupsOfWar posted:

really the thing I like most about Ultimate F4 is that sue is a super-scientist too, which makes it feel less like "Reed Richards and his hangers-on"

I was reading the the very first original ff stories a while back and the misogyny displayed in those books is loving astounding.

Stan Lee is a real piece of poo poo.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Your mom is so fat that a V-22 Osprey wouldn't be able to perform vertical takeoff with her.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

PupsOfWar posted:

Because Ben is supposed to be Reeds childhood friend who is the brawn to Reeds brain

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
maybe nobody cares about f4 anymore and "stretchy man," "rock monster," and "i can turn invisible" are not compelling powers, and unless you have some really huge star power and a phenomenal story nobody is going to start to care again.

site posted:

I was reading the the very first original ff stories a while back and the misogyny displayed in those books is loving astounding.

No no, you see, turning invisible is ironic commentary on Sue's place in a misogynistic society, furthermore

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

site posted:

1960somethin duder

And he was an older dude then

Not to excuse it just like, product of its time and creators time

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Josh Lyman posted:

Your mom is so fat that a V-22 Osprey wouldn't be able to perform vertical takeoff with her.

fun fact, the F-35 STVOL version required a complete redesign of the launch paddocks for the baby carriers they were supposed to fly form because the the vert lift thrusters melt them

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sharkie posted:

maybe nobody cares about f4 anymore and "stretchy man," "rock monster," and "i can turn invisible" are not compelling powers, and unless you have some really huge star power and a phenomenal story nobody is going to start to care again.

No no, you see, turning invisible is ironic commentary on Sue's place in a misogynistic society, furthermore

Literaly nobody will ever say that just

FYI

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Because Ben is supposed to be Reeds childhood friend who is the brawn to Reeds brain

you can preserve the character dynamic without ben having to be a big ol' dummie who is incapable of following along with anything reed does

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
that was a beautiful sequence

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Sharkie posted:

it was cool when everyone just decided "gently caress it, Sue is a green lantern now"

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is the F-35 even still a thing? All I hear about is how it's like the most wasteful defense project of all time.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

PupsOfWar posted:

i think the biggest problem with f4 is ben/thing

richards and sue can actually be interesting plot wise because they're scientists and generally having smart people figure poo poo out is good in a story, and johnny adds to things because he's a cocky smart rear end and can be the "oops, I looked before i leaped" part of the story

ben/thing is just "i hit things hard" which is pretty much the hulk, only without all the interesting dr. jekyll / mr. hyde stuff that actually makes the hulk interesting

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Literaly nobody will ever say that just

FYI

i just did

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

PupsOfWar posted:

you can preserve the character dynamic without ben having to be a big ol' dummie who is incapable of following along with anything reed does

I mean Ben isn't stupid. He's a regular dude

It's just that that looks stupid next to "one of the smartest people ever"

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

that was a beautiful sequence

i loathe with every fiber of my being baylor and scott drew, also their fans. and the baylor posters in SAS are anne frank fanfic and this dude called spiritius nox and AFF is the better poster

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Josh Lyman posted:

Is the F-35 even still a thing? All I hear about is how it's like the most wasteful defense project of all time.

well

I mean

it's a thing

that doesn't always catch on fire or explode

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

A Winner is Jew posted:

richards and sue can actually be interesting plot wise because they're scientists and generally having smart people figure poo poo out is good in a story, and johnny adds to things because he's a cocky smart rear end and can be the "oops, I looked before i leaped" part of the story

ben/thing is just "i hit things hard" which is pretty much the hulk, only without all the interesting dr. jekyll / mr. hyde stuff that actually makes the hulk interesting

Ben is actually more "Jesus Christ I'm an inhuman freak who can't feel things anymore and also I can't loving kill myself"

Which is an actual established thing

That he's tried and failed because of his superpowers

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Ben Grimm is not a happy man and Reeds guilt over ruining his friends life is an important bit of the dynamic IMO

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

well

I mean

it's a thing

that doesn't always catch on fire or explode

for a second i thought this post was about the other thing being discussed itt

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

i loathe with every fiber of my being baylor and scott drew, also their fans. and the baylor posters in SAS are anne frank fanfic and this dude called spiritius nox and AFF is the better poster
total clownshoes

my favorite thing about baylor fans during football season is that they expect everyone to hate Gary Patterson and TCU as much as they do

I know a few Baylor alums and they're mostly nice people but I still don't like their school

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

A Winner is Jew posted:

I mean, ben's gimmicks are that he's a super hard-nosed, blue-collar dude who never, ever gives up on anything regardless of the consequences, which lets him stand out when he's among flightier characters

he's not even that good of a strongman compared to other people in the marvel universe, it's really the grit that is his defining characteristic, along with angst at the loss of his human form

like, there's stuff with him that you can work with, it's just that he is often out of place in the kind of high-concept science adventures the F4 go on, and ends up waiting around until there's something to punch.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

A Winner is Jew posted:

he's a working class dude from Brooklyn who got into university on a football scholarship and then his best friend turned him into a big rock monster

He's the grounded normal guy

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

i like this meem

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

PupsOfWar posted:

I mean, ben's gimmicks are that he's a super hard-nosed, blue-collar dude who never, ever gives up on anything regardless of the consequences, which lets him stand out when he's among flightier characters

he's not even that good of a strongman compared to other people in the marvel universe, it's really the grit that is his defining characteristic

like, there's stuff with him that you can work with, it's just that he is often out of place in the kind of adventures the F4 go on

My favorite thing is when the torch dies and Ben refuses to grieve until he gets called out to the desert by Thor and Hulk and then he just unloads on them and starts swinging

Because he doesn't know any other way to grieve and he'd demolish anything and anyone else

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

total clownshoes

my favorite thing about baylor fans during football season is that they expect everyone to hate Gary Patterson and TCU as much as they do

I know a few Baylor alums and they're mostly nice people but I still don't like their school

they also conveniently forget football existed before 2013

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah, I think Ben can be interesting in that you can take a look at the whole downsides of being superhuman aspect of the universe and tbh he's a good tool storywise to have as a person that Reed can explain the sciencey parts of the story to for the audience. But you can do that and not have him be a complete moron if you put a little bit of effort into it.

site fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 17, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

what happen to baylor

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

kustomkarkommando posted:

he's a working class dude from Brooklyn who got into university on a football scholarship and then his best friend turned him into a big rock monster

He's the grounded normal guy

It also contrasts him with hot headed glory seeking Johnny Storm nicely

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Josh Lyman posted:

Unfortunately, yes it is. Eventually there will be a plane called the F-35 that will fly and probably not explode when it does so.

These F35s will either sit in a hanger, be sold to other countries, or be used as absurdly expensive bomb trucks for our little skirmishes in the Middle East; the F-35 will be worse at this role than A-10s and F-15/16/18s currently doing this now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Those 12/5 games are good for at least one upset every tourney

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I would rather read stories about the noble pursuits of a bunch of hyper genius WASPs from powerful families than the story of some schlubby jewish guy struggling to come to terms with being a rock beast

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

what happen to baylor

they are losing to Yale, despite Rico Gathers posterizing a white boy

https://twitter.com/seth_rosenthal/status/710556165185343488

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
we should fight terrorism by selling them our flying catastrophe planes and then laugh really hard as they smear themselves all over the landscape at mach 2

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

I would rather read stories about the noble pursuits of a bunch of hyper genius WASPs from powerful families than the story of some schlubby jewish guy struggling to come to terms with being a rock beast

neither of these sound very appealing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

the story of some schlubby jewish guy struggling to come to terms with being a rock beast

ah, so the new Michael Chabon book is out then?

• Locked thread