Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The red scar is actually her power of pure communism :ussr:. It is what gives her the ability to shapeshift and change her appearance.

Stalin didn't die in 1953. He just shapeshifted into Elizabeth Jennings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So yesterday I started up a free trial of Sony's Playstation Vue service, their whole internet TV streaming thing. As long as you don't mind the whole "no live broadcast network" thing it works surprisingly well.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lady Naga posted:

I've currently watched 3 episodes of Lucifer and it seems really bad.

I'm reasonably certain that any praise for Lucifer is within the context of its genre: police procedurals with mixed gender leads and a quirky consultant gimmick. Even then I'm not sure it's better than the first season of Sleepy Hollow. It's definitely not as good as early Castle or iZombie.

As someone who likes all of those shows, Lucifer does do a lot of things right, so I think it shows promise. If you don't like that genre or any of those shows, don't waste your time. It's unlikely to break too far out of the mold.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I'm never not going to be amazed that this is what they pigeonholed a show about Lucifer, broken out of Hell into.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah there's literally no point in caring about it as an adaption of the source material.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
It's messed up that a guy with the last name Morningstar does not use a morning star at any point, literal devil or no.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Inspector 34 posted:

Just started watching The Americans last night and am just now finishing the 3rd episode. It's 2am but I kind of want to watch it again, because I can't figure out what the hell was going on with Keri Russell's face towards the end. Was that a shadow? Or does she have a weird moving red scar or line down her face?

They made it obvious enough that I'm supposed to notice it but maybe I'm just to tired to get the significance.

I went back and watched the end of that episode on Netflix, it does look really weird but it just a shadow from her hair. Some strange lighting for that scene and a really strong shadow, they should have moved it for those shots or put more bits of hair infront of her face to not make it look weird... Unless it was supposed to look like a scar, given they're talking about grief at the time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snak posted:

Oh yeah there's literally no point in caring about it as an adaption of the source material.

It's kind of funny how little his being the actual devil has anything to do with anything that happens in the show. It could be about a smarmy nightclub owner who decides to start working with the LAPD and things would be pretty much the same.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

VagueRant posted:

The trailer for The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt season 2 has me pining for a feelgood show. I hoped Kimmy Schmidt would be it, but they were more interested in portraying a zany 30 Rock comic reality where the promise of a super optimistic, cheery, innocent and genuine protagonist can be squished into more of a Rachel-from-Friends role. That's not a diss on the writers, they're just making a different show than what I wanted out of their premise.

You guys were talking about Community and I think in its prime that was kind of a feelgood show. Most eps would end with saccharine character moments (Parks and Rec was good for that too), group bonding, sweet musical stings and Winger speeches to tie all it together. I think that added to a lot of the charm and 'heart' of the show in the first two seasons. But of course it followed a traditional sitcom path where they had to invent more and more personality flaws in their characters to drive the episodes and by the time Todd rolls around you just hate all of them.

And when Barry Allen in The Flash was meant to be the bright and cheery and optimistic counterpart to the brooding antihero vigilantism of Arrow, but now Barry is barely a describable character and is basically just a pile of protagonistic angst. :smith:

Maybe it's just because I'm the guy that could never enjoy the outright hatefulness of the Always Sunny cast, or any of the many shows about rich, self-pitying douchebags - from Californication to loving Bojack Horseman. I just want a show that lies to me and tricks me into thinking the world is okay and people are basically good. Is that so much to ask?

brb gonna go watch Dora The Explorer or something

Jim DiGriz posted:

Check out Raising Hope and My Name is Earl, if you have somehow missed those. And while not a comedy, and definitely does not claim the world is okay, Leverage always puts me in a good mood.

This. Leverage is what you're looking for.

I mean, there are down moments. But it's to set up the feel good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't think I even finished My Name is Earl, the prison season was just terrible. But man were the first two seasons something special, I liked them a lot.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They started doing a lot more gimmicks after that. Once he got out of prison he was in a coma for a while. Then Joy and Crab Man go into Witness Protection sometime in season 4.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lady Naga posted:

It's a kind of mediocre that actively frustrates me because it doesn't have the conviction to be either interestingly bad or legitimately good. Reminds me of why I stopped watching TV for a long time in the first place.

Yeah, it's really dull and generic. They don't do nearly enough interesting with the show considering the star is supposed to literally be the devil.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

I don't think I even finished My Name is Earl, the prison season was just terrible. But man were the first two seasons something special, I liked them a lot.

Similarly, while the rest of it is really good the last season of Raising Hope is kind of cruddy. Mostly because they changed things up too much moving Jimmy out of his parents' house. Doing so kind of split the focus and they spent too much time on Burt/Virginia while Jimmy/Sabrina/Hope barely appeared.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The guy that invented Napster is trying to start a service called Screening Room where you can pay $50 and get access to new release, in-the-cinema movies for 48 hours at a time at home on your TV. He's got some big time directors with him and some against him, but what do you guys think of that price point and the service itself?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

zoux posted:

The guy that invented Napster is trying to start a service called Screening Room where you can pay $50 and get access to new release, in-the-cinema movies for 48 hours at a time at home on your TV. He's got some big time directors with him and some against him, but what do you guys think of that price point and the service itself?

Shrug. Maybe in area's where it costs $17 to see a movie and you have a sweet setup at home, but for me it costs $5 so I'd have no reason to ever do this.

Also pirating groups who put out cam copies would love this.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Who the gently caress is Sean Parker? I never heard of him until Social Network. Shawn Fanning is the one that had all the press interviews and magazine covers.

But that sounds like a good idea, kind of like pay per view. Gather up a group of people and watch it in the man cave on a projector. Spread it out over like 7 people and the price is nothing.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

zoux posted:

I don't see how this is happening in a world where DVD realeses keep getting pushed forward solely to spite pirates.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

quote:

had developed a plan to offer new releases for $50 per 48-hour view. Customers would also pay $150 for access to the technology, which is said to be piracy-proof.

lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Xoidanor posted:

I don't see how this is happening in a world where DVD realeses keep getting pushed forward solely to spite pirates.

I dunno how much it is to simply spite them as it is necessary to compete with them. Movie pirates have forced movie studios not to sit on home releases for a year, and that's one of the best things they've ever done for consumers. Jurassic Park came out on home video more than a year after it left theaters, iirc.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Each purchase is supposed to come with 2 tickets to the same movie in a theater too.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Maybe they meant that it's proof of piracy, like, its existence

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Aphrodite posted:

Each purchase is supposed to come with 2 tickets to the same movie in a theater too.

Yeah, that was to appease the theater chains to get them from boycotting the movies being released on the service.

To be clear, I think the STUDIOS would be OK with supplementing theaters with day and date VOD releases. They are mostly afraid of theater chain reprisal.

It's expensive, but it's a start. If you get 4 or so people together to watch it, is pretty break even with going to a non-matinee showing. I can also think of a lot of times when friends have had to bow out going to the movies due to babysitter availability, so being able to watch a new release from someone's house would be a boon.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Mu Zeta posted:

Who the gently caress is Sean Parker? I never heard of him until Social Network. Shawn Fanning is the one that had all the press interviews and magazine covers.

But that sounds like a good idea, kind of like pay per view. Gather up a group of people and watch it in the man cave on a projector. Spread it out over like 7 people and the price is nothing.

You not knowing Sean Parker only says things about your involvement with the news w/r/t tech sector 2000-2010 and nothing about his own notability. Feel free to check out this wikipedia.org for more (protip: they have a references section that even details 105 of the news articles you missed!)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

This. Leverage is what you're looking for.

I mean, there are down moments. But it's to set up the feel good.

If you want a real feel-good, real hilarious show, Broad City works.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

Not a price point I'd find reasonable, but it'll get pirated, which is a perfect price point so I say go for it.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
$50 isn't too bad if you have a nice system/setup at home and get 3+ people together to watch/pay for a movie, but the idea that this won't help pirating is pretty hilarious.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
More options is always a good thing, I like the theater experience but I'm glad that theaters are losing their ability to throttle new platforms just to keep their three-month head start on new movies.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IRQ posted:

Not a price point I'd find reasonable, but it'll get pirated, which is a perfect price point so I say go for it.

Excuse me it is 100% pirate proof.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

zoux posted:

But if you're going to show it on a screen on customers hardware then it's impossible to stop the customer from ripping the feed and-

zoux posted:

100% pirate proof.

But can't you see the implicati-

Fine, take my money and go disrupt the market.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

Oh darn, foiled again!

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I mean being convinced that a service is 100% piracy proof because it's from The Guy Who Did Napster is exactly the level of understanding about piracy I'd expect from your average Hollywood exec.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
So do you think the tech can tell if a camera is pointed at it, and does it burn down the theater equipment to prevent piracy?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I'm curious how they see this as 100% piracy proof, but aside from that, I would totally be on board with this. I'm not really a huge fan of the movie going experience anymore. I have a big TV and hope, good sound setup, and off the top of my head, the pros for this:

- I get one of the best seats in the house.
- I can have the best beer and best food available to me.
- I don't have to show up near an hour early for the movie on opening weekend to get a seat that isn't terrible.
- I don't have to deal with people who talk through the movie in the theater.
- I can pause the movie to go to the bathroom or get a drink or make more popcorn, etc.

One con is that watching R rated movies when you have young kids could be difficult, but that's just an argument for theaters still sticking around as well.

There are quite a few things that would need to happen to make this even possible, and the piracy thing is a giant question mark, but in a vacuum, I like this a lot.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

whowhatwhere posted:

So do you think the tech can tell if a camera is pointed at it, and does it burn down the theater equipment to prevent piracy?

of course!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm surprised the MPAA has't managed to force camera companies to include firmware level piracy detection the way a lot of scanners, digital cameras, and photoshop wont open an image of US currency. So theatre film copies have weird flash frames every once in a while that would bricks cameras, or force phones into a "locked" mode you have to pay out the rear end to revert if the camera was pointing at the screen.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

bring back old gbs posted:

I'm surprised the MPAA has't managed to force camera companies to include firmware level piracy detection the way a lot of scanners, digital cameras, and photoshop wont open an image of US currency. So theatre film copies have weird flash frames every once in a while that would bricks cameras, or force phones into a "locked" mode you have to pay out the rear end to revert if the camera was pointing at the screen.

Because lobbying isn't magic.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The system likely embeds an invisible watermark into the stream either visually, acoustically, or both. That would let them ID the source of the leak and hit them with a pretty hefty infringement charge.

Not technically piracy proof, but very risky to leak.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They send a pimply 17 yo to your house as well to run the TV and make sure you don't pirate it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

The system likely embeds an invisible watermark into the stream either visually, acoustically, or both. That would let them ID the source of the leak and hit them with a pretty hefty infringement charge.

Not technically piracy proof, but very risky to leak.

That would actually be pretty smart. I feel like if you knew it was doing that though, you could scramble it by adding a low-level amount of noise to the video before releasing it. But maybe not. I know that Blizzard does something like that with WoW, but I haven't read about any attempts to circumvent it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They do similar things to screeners, doesn't stop them from being leaked, but they can usually track the source.

Keep in mind that since this is a connected platform, they can probably do things like vary how the watermark is presented in subsequent viewings or even by stream. It would be constant cat and mouse to update and then figure it out, but you are going to run out of people who want to do it quickly since they'll either be banned from the service or in jail.

• Locked thread