Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I like the way half the blue cards in the set are "Jace looking at stuff"

Speaking of:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I like the card. It's slow but it will bury your opponents in cards in a control deck. Plus it enables your other do-nothing enchantment.

Who wants to take turn 3 off to play this? As far as getting card advantage in a control deck, there should be better sources of that.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I like the card. It's slow but it will bury your opponents in cards in a control deck. Plus it enables your other do-nothing enchantment.

G/U Investigate with Thopter Spy Network would be the best deck ever. Now for Edric, Spymaster of Trest to be spoiled :v:

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Is Sorin standing in front of the melted Helvault in his planeswalker art?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sickening posted:

Who wants to take turn 3 off to play this? As far as getting card advantage in a control deck, there should be better sources of that.

I don't disagree. I think the issue here is that Investigate is a difficult mechanic to evaluate from a constructed perspective because nobody has played with it to determine how valuable it is to cash in the clues.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So remember how Descend upon the Sinful got translated to French as "Descend Upon the Fishermen" because of a wrong accent?

I just noticed that the demon-land was spoiled in French as "Abbaye du Val d'Orient" which literally translates to "Abbey of the Eastern Vale" but some sources are saying the english name of the card is actually "Westvale Abbey", which fits with the number crunch and previous flavour texts. (it's card number 281, putting it directing between Warped Landscape at 280 and Woodland Stream at 282)

That's two in one set, are the foreign translations normally this bad?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Elyv posted:

code:
Diregraf Colossus
2B
Creature - Zombie Giant
Diregraf Colossus enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter for each Zombie card in your graveyard. 

Whenever you cast a Zombie spell, put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield tapped.
2/2

Wowie. Thats badass.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Terrible Horse posted:

Or at least something like "If you control 5 or more clues, search your library for a card named "Serial Killer" and put in on the battlefield"

And the nickname for Serial Killer will be "Ted Cruz."

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

This seems so bad, I can't wait to lose with it.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I like the way half the blue cards in the set are "Jace looking at stuff"

Pretend I photoshopped Jace onto Kim Jong Un pensively gazing at a cold cut buffet or something.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Entropic posted:

Perhaps because d'Ouest reads oddly in french, compared to d'Orient. I'm not a native speaker, so I can't say for sure though.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Devor posted:

Perhaps because d'Ouest reads oddly in french, compared to d'Orient. I'm not a native speaker, so I can't say for sure though.

It would actually be "de l'Ouest", which reads better.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Devor posted:

The other one is clearly a typo, but It's quite possible they just changed the name of this one to scan better, which is fine, and is far better than slavishly translating the original word for word even if it ends up sounding dumb. Look at Canadian food packaging some time with its federally-mandated French labelling to see how badly the latter approach can turn out.

I wonder if Creative gets mad when they change stuff though.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

This is the first dumb art Ive seen. Took them a while.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm jace's new overcoat whose colors clash with the blue hoodie.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Entropic posted:

Last time we were on Innistrad Japan got 2 Falkenrath Nobles. :v:

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

This is the first dumb art Ive seen. Took them a while.

Did you not see the new Sorin yet or

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Skyl3lazer posted:

The art and flavor text of Trail of Evidence is fantastic

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/710532906863693824
Posting it

Jace the Multiverse's Greatest Detective

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 17, 2016

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Kind of sad that divination is now too powerful for limited, and instead we get divination but it costs four more mana and you don't get the cards unless you have two spells in your hand already

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Wow there's an absolute shitload of Investigate cards in blue. Mechanically, it's a great thing to have for gameplay. Kicker 2: Draw card would already be a great rider onto many cards and Investigate is better than that. Drawing cards is really good and leads to good games of Magic, so hopefully investigate will show up in colors other than U/W.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

little munchkin posted:

Kind of sad that divination is now too powerful for limited, and instead we get divination but it costs four more mana and you don't get the cards unless you have two spells in your hand already

I mean I guess that's one warped way of talking about this card

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's a self-fuelling card draw engine. You'll probably need to be in the UR deck to play it but it seems like it could support a cool deck archetype.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Lets Pickle posted:

Wow there's an absolute shitload of Investigate cards in blue. Mechanically, it's a great thing to have for gameplay. Kicker 2: Draw card would already be a great rider onto many cards and Investigate is better than that. Drawing cards is really good and leads to good games of Magic, so hopefully investigate will show up in colors other than U/W.

All the blue ones posted look like traps to me. Blue's weakness tends to be an inability to affect the board, and it can't really afford to play card draw that is conditional and slow. Think of the amount of work required just to cycle those cards.

Jace's Scrutiny looks ok but we keep getting versions of "-x/-0, draw a card" and they always underperform.

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I mean I guess that's one warped way of talking about this card

My true impression of the card is "3 mana to do nothing", but even when you give it the benefit of the doubt and assume you'll be able to draw cards off it, it still doesn't seem like a good deal.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 17, 2016

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm jace's new overcoat whose colors clash with the blue hoodie.

I really want a "Jace's Dumb Overcoat" equipment.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Did you not see the new Sorin yet or

The full size art looks a lot better than the tiny card art. Still looks like danzig, but its better.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Fish Of Doom posted:

I really want a "Jace's Dumb Overcoat" equipment.

Comes with a matching fedora equipment. Tip it to draw a card and lose a life.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Posting it

Jace the Multiverse's Greatest Detective

But can he catch

The Multiverse's Greatest Thief

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

little munchkin posted:

My true impression of the card is "3 mana to do nothing", but even when you give it the benefit of the doubt and assume you'll be able to draw cards off it, it still doesn't seem like a good deal.

All I meant was that it being printed in no way implies that Wizards views Divination as being too powerful for limited. It does something completely different, which is either too expensive and durdly to be good, or extremely powerful in drawn out games in decks built to abuse it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

It's not that Divination is too powerful for limited, its that Divination is not appropriate for every limited environment (e.g. you are trying to push a blue card-draw keyword mechanic, or a multiple spells per turn mechanic).

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
We get interesting block-themed variants because straight-up reprints of Divination, Giant Growth, Fog, Unsummon, Shock, etc. every set would be boring.

Also Pore Over the Pages is closer to being a Divination than that enchantment.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 17, 2016

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fantastic :allears:

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Is it just me or are spoilers much more satisfying this time around in terms of the rate of their release? It feels like usual spoiler season involves 3-4 rares per day for a bit, ramping to maybe 3-5 uncommons/commons, followed by a dump of the last ~150 commons on the last day. Here we're getting a hell of a lot more cards across the spectrum of rarities -- and from many different sources.

Is today just some weird anomaly or are they moving to a different spoiling paradigm?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

WELL i like winning limited games so YES i think i will play this card

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I've been trying to think of useful things to do with clues in Modern other than Arcbound Ravager, and I can't come up with any. Atog?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Everblight posted:

I've been trying to think of useful things to do with clues in Modern other than Arcbound Ravager, and I can't come up with any. Atog?

Ghirapur Aether Grid?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

WELL i like winning limited games so YES i think i will play this card

Imagine a world where Blue-Green clues is anywhere near as fun as Blue-Green Spider Spawning was.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Everblight posted:

Pia and Kiran Nalaar is the current hotness when it comes to sacrificing your own artifacts.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Entropic posted:

Ghirapur Aether Grid?

he'll yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

This set looks very good, and every card they spoil is very exciting regardless of rarity.

• Locked thread