Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

winegums posted:

IT'S QUESTION TIME MOTHERFUCKERS

No Chuckle Brother, no watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Top Gear's really taking its toll on Matt LeBlanc.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

TinTower posted:

I mean, him hijacking an anti-EDL demo to do some "same stuff both sides" weak poo poo was not his brightest moment.

last time you posted that people eventually figured out what you were referring to, and your summary isn't great

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

It would make a really great euphemism but I've no idea what for.

Vommiting in one of those metal toilets you get on trains or some bars.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

LemonDrizzle posted:

tory boys doing tory thangs

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tax-credit-cuts-income-disregard-george-osborne-voted-without-debate-a6931676.html

That whole parliamentary scrutiny thing is just so passé, don't you think?

There was a debate in a delegated legislation committee. That's how delegated legislation works. There is so much wilful density about what does and doesn't constitute an abuse of procedure on both sides of everything at the moment. Fucks sake.

Edit: didn't realise the thread had moved on that much

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

winegums posted:

Nicky Morgan MP

Conservative education secretary, continuing the important work of Michael "literally important enough to write a forward for the bible" Gove. Genuinely surprised to see a high ranking Tory sacrificed to QT the day after the budget. Expecting questions on the Tories' plan to turn every school into an academy. Not sure how this'll play out in the audience given the public don't really know what an academy is.

Prediction: There will be a teacher in the audience who tears this poo poo to pieces.

She's the one who always seems to be doing a standup routine, right?

Wait that's Liz Truss

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
She looks like someone face-merged Gideon with Karren Brady.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

LemonDrizzle posted:

Courtesy of the Resolution Foundation:

Percentiles are all well and good, but since surveys show most people will fail to accurately estimate where they are on the curve, it'd be nice if these sorts of charts also labelled the £ boundaries on them.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

jabby posted:

How was he trying to wreck their protest though? If he is telling the truth about his sign it sounds like he was trying to show solidarity.

Going to an anti-EDL demo in Tower Hamlets with a placard saying "No to the EDL and far-right Islamists; oppose all hate" is like going to Reclaim the Night and saying "No to rape and misandry: oppose all sexism".

Tactless at best, derailing at worst.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

TinTower posted:

derailing
Yup. Why are we even talking about Tatchell again?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

TinTower posted:

Going to an anti-EDL demo in Tower Hamlets with a placard saying "No to the EDL and far-right Islamists; oppose all hate" is like going to Reclaim the Night and saying "No to rape and misandry: oppose all sexism".

What a monster

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
bring back pissflaps

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

TinTower posted:

yeah but misandry is mostly made up internet bollocks but far right Islamists kill gay people all the time??

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

if that photo is recent shes lost loads of weight so clearly on the gideon diet.

tintower weren't you recently banned from some lib dem event for threatening someone?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

TinTower posted:

How many people has the EDL killed and how many have been killed by far-right Islamists? Why is opposing all hate bad?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

GaussianCopula posted:

How many people has the EDL killed and how many have been killed by far-right Islamists? Why is opposing all hate bad?

I dunno, no Muslim ever set off nail bombs in gay bars.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

This argument threatens to turn toxic at a moment's notice and it's idiotic to contribute to it, but there have been attempted islamic terror attacks targeting gay bars and clubs.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

GaussianCopula posted:

That's a false equivalency, there's plenty of far-right Islamist groups that haven't killed anyone either.

EDL members were falling over themselves to praise Anders Breivik when he massacred children in the name of the white race.

Edit: There's also this arsehole, who came about as close as you can get to killing someone while still being a total failure at it.

NO FUCK YOU DAD fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 17, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

She looks like Betsy Brandt to me.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TomViolence posted:

This argument threatens to turn toxic at a moment's notice and it's idiotic to contribute to it, but there have been attempted islamic terror attacks targeting gay bars and clubs.
Only attempted though, which so far puts them behind a lone paranoid neo-nazi who believed that the Flintstones were trying to turn him gay.

I'm not sure what this says about either.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
@tapwaterchat: Don't worry, I'm sure the Tories will set up a Flint, Michigan situation soon.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

TinTower posted:

Not really, because Muslims and LGBT are both minority groups deserving of support and able to show solidarity to one another. You obviously can't say the same for feminists and 'men's rights advocates'.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

jabby posted:

Not really, because Muslims and LGBT are both minority groups deserving of support and able to show solidarity to one another. You obviously can't say the same for feminists and 'men's rights advocates'.
Actually, I can completely see Reclaim the Night being on board with anti-misandry signs, seeing as public attitudes to female-on-male domestic abuse is absolutely a feminist issue and the Reclaim the Night protests were set up to oppose sexual and domestic violence in all forms.

I know I'm being pedantic but I think it's important to always point out that feminists aren't just about looking out for women and letting men fend for themselves.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

winegums posted:

Tasmina Ahmed-Sheikh MP

SNP's trade and industry spokesperson. Don't know much about her, well lets see what wikipedia sa-

She sounds kinda terrible and probably would've joined New Labour if she was around at the right time.

Funny you should say that

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/792414.stm

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
I don't get giving a miniscule tax cut to the very richest. What rich person is going to give a quarter of a poo poo about 250 pounds yearly? Scrooge McDuck might, but real (very rich) people wouldn't even notice.

I suppose it's the principle.

In other budget-related news, by god I cannot wait for the massive housing crash the UK will inevitably experience at some point.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Actually, I can completely see Reclaim the Night being on board with anti-misandry signs, seeing as public attitudes to female-on-male domestic abuse is absolutely a feminist issue and the Reclaim the Night protests were set up to oppose sexual and domestic violence in all forms.

I know I'm being pedantic but I think it's important to always point out that feminists aren't just about looking out for women and letting men fend for themselves.
I suppose it depends whether they showed up with a sign of solidarity like "gender roles harm everyone - male victims speak out" or whether they were pulling some "misandry is the same as misogyny" false equivalence.

And I notice that misandry is now in my browser spellcheck, which it wasn't before. Another blow against the matriarchy. :reject:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

What rich person is going to give a quarter of a poo poo about 250 pounds yearly? Scrooge McDuck might, but real (very rich) people wouldn't even notice.
They would though.

Look at Myleen Klass going off like a radgy prat about the mansion tax, coincidentally right after she bought a 3 million pound house.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I don't get giving a miniscule tax cut to the very richest. What rich person is going to give a quarter of a poo poo about 250 pounds yearly? Scrooge McDuck might, but real (very rich) people wouldn't even notice.

I think the super rich are going to be much more excited about the 8% cut in capital gains tax

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And the cut in corporation tax. Which is going to balance the budget by streamlining the flow of profits to the capital class.

Meanwhile disability cuts will keep money out of the hands of people that didn't work for it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

And the cut in corporation tax. Which is going to balance the budget by streamlining the flow of profits to the capital class.

Meanwhile disability cuts will keep money out of the hands of people that didn't work for it.

It's depressing how few people would actually understand the irony in that.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
From the Times:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

'Misandry' is a word that's thrown around to pretend that men face the same (or worse!!) systemic prejudice and abuse in society that women do. It's almost exclusively used in a 'we're all equal now so men are the real victims' or 'evil feminists hate men' senses, as a way of undermining any criticism or work that feminism is doing - including the aspects that directly help men, like the things you're talking about. So I really wouldn't be surprised if people with MISANDRY!!! signs get told to do one

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
I will only watch QT when it features Will Self as he is the best and watching him be patronizing towards anyone less intelligent than him (almost everyone in any audience and panel) is a thing of beauty.

Can we ban student politics its the loving worst.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

It's depressing how few people would actually understand the irony in that.
It's amazing what you can get away with when your mates in the media have everyone convinced that a quarter of all benefit claims are fraudulent.

That's from 2013 - my anecdotal experience of what the public thinks would put that figure closer to or maybe even over half.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean just in general, the idea that people who are rich worked to earn it, or someone they're related to worked to earn it and that's just as good, is so ingrained.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

LemonDrizzle posted:

From the Times:

its.happening.gif

I'm looking forward to the tories reaching single digit popularity and still winning due to scotland and gerrymandering then having five more years of getting eaten alive and reaching sub-Major levels of popularity.

I mean naturally I'd more look forward to Labour winning but I'll take what I can get.

Lethal Drizzle
Feb 24, 2011
Reminder that TinTower is a lovely unapologetic racist.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

baka kaba posted:

'Misandry' is a word that's thrown around to pretend that men face the same (or worse!!) systemic prejudice and abuse in society that women do. It's almost exclusively used in a 'we're all equal now so men are the real victims' or 'evil feminists hate men' senses, as a way of undermining any criticism or work that feminism is doing - including the aspects that directly help men, like the things you're talking about. So I really wouldn't be surprised if people with MISANDRY!!! signs get told to do one
Fair enough. I try to avoid MRA nonsense as much as possible and wasn't aware they'd hijacked that word quite so thoroughly.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

StoneOfShame posted:

Can we ban student politics its the loving worst.

A lot of political movements would give their right arm for the enthusiasm students have for politics. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

From the Times:

Any more info on this YouGov poll? Can't seem to find it.

• Locked thread