Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

blue squares posted:

If you really want to know about Nixon, the oft-recommended book Nixonland is fantastic.

I'll check this out, thank you for the recommendation. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I understand they have to try to do some exposition but the guy has his gun in his armpit then he's right next to Jake with the gun pointed at the ground and looking in a different direction and I'm shouting "ATTACK HIM ALREADY GOD drat IT" Meanwhile Jake is planning something with broken glass. This should already be over.

This was a terrible episode. Things had to happen for a reason to move the story but they were all stupid reasons.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 14, 2016

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
So does Sadie join Team Save Kennedy now?

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know, people say that the middle part of the book is a chore to get through. I've never thought that, but now I know what they mean.

Holy time-travelling Christ, that was a bad episode!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Jake has a terrible Action Man Running Form. He should watch some Tom Cruise movies and take notes.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
So between this and The Man In The High Castle it seems like the fate of alternate-history 60s shows is to have a really strong start and then devolve into lovely relationship drama while the actual cool stuff happens off to the side, if not offscreen entirely.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I thought the episode was great. What boring parts are you guys talking about?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Fragmented posted:

Edit: Actually now that i think about it wouldn't stopping the JFK assassination be just as easy? Just call the secret service and tell them your neighbor told you he's going to shoot the president(and hes a marine sniper that defected to the USSR, and he showed you his rifle)? Stick around for a year or so and see if the assassination happens differently and if it does with Oswald in jail, boom: Conspiracy. Reset try again.

This is almost exactly what the guy in Ken Grimwood's 'Replay' does.

someone else shoots him instead

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

ExtraNoise posted:

I thought the episode was great. What boring parts are you guys talking about?

I really liked this episode as well. The scene with the ex-husband was incredibly tense, because I didn't feel like Sadie had any of the normal plot armor a character like that would have. I thought there was a good chance she was going to end up dead, so I was on the edge of my seat the whole time.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I really liked this episode as well. The scene with the ex-husband was incredibly tense, because I didn't feel like Sadie had any of the normal plot armor a character like that would have. I thought there was a good chance she was going to end up dead, so I was on the edge of my seat the whole time.

This is exactly what I was feeling. I was certain she was going to die and he was going to do a reset (that whole thing is still up in the air). Also Bill messing around with Marina.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
Lots of tense moments in the episode.
Jake seems too invested now to ever go back, considering he knows that if he goes back he will reset everything with Sadie.
Is it possible that we wont get any payoff for him saving the family in the earlier episode if he chooses to stay in the past?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

waitwhatno posted:

The clothespin thing was very well done.
It was so well done that a good proportion of the audience had no idea what they were even talking about and had to Google it. Masterful story-telling. :downsbravo:

emanresu tnuocca posted:

You could always reset one more time if the world went to poo poo.
Unless something stops you. Like, maybe you changed something that meant you were never born and you only exist until you try to return to the present. Or maybe the building burned down and the time portal doesn't work any more. Without knowing how it works, you can't rely on that.

Fragmented posted:

Actually now that i think about it wouldn't stopping the JFK assassination be just as easy? Just call the secret service and tell them your neighbor told you he's going to shoot the president(and hes a marine sniper that defected to the USSR, and he showed you his rifle)? Stick around for a year or so and see if the assassination happens differently and if it does with Oswald in jail, boom: Conspiracy. Reset try again.
There are definitely plans you could try out that would require much less investment and have fewer risks than spending three years in the past spying on Oswald and his associates. Do your research and preparation in the present, travel to the past, set things in motion and come home to see if it worked or how it played out. Hire someone to kill Oswald, for example. Hire ten people, or a hundred. Money's really no object since you can basically make as much of it as you need by repeating that one day. Or hire people to wait till the day of the assassination is coming up and send in warnings or bomb threats or anything that would keep Kennedy from being where he was supposed to be.

ExtraNoise posted:

In the book, Al addresses his reasoning for what events he believes unfold:
Pretty sure he said all that in the show too. It's just, why is James Franco convinced that he's right? There are so many other ways things could go.

Basebf555 posted:

I wish she had died, then he might finally have done a reset. What's his plan now anyway? Is he going to keep trying to save Kennedy and then just stay in the past and live out his life there? Is he giving up on saving Kennedy now because he's decided that Sadie's more important? Whatever else he does, it seems like he can't possibly be planning to return to 2016 at all now.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
My wild guess is that he's trying to go as far as he can and then try to use what he learnt on the second run through.

Well, less "wild guess" and more "what I'd do in his place, having gone this far".

Maybe he even flat out forgot he can do resets. v:shobon:v

I mean the moment something terrible happened to Sadie, I'd jump back. If I recall correctly, the attempt to save the janitor's family also left some casualties, right?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

That was a weird scene when he was asking his 2016 class what they'd change if they could go back in time because like when was he doing that? He'd still been teaching after learning about the time travel talking to Al?

At first I thought that scene was a signal that he was going to screw something up in the past this episode and have to come back.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Fast Luck posted:

That was a weird scene when he was asking his 2016 class what they'd change if they could go back in time because like when was he doing that? He'd still been teaching after learning about the time travel talking to Al?

At first I thought that scene was a signal that he was going to screw something up in the past this episode and have to come back.

I think it was just a hypothetical from before he learned about the time portal. Not all that unusual of a question for high school students really, and a good way to try to get them to put themselves into history and get a better appreciation for it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Zwille posted:

My wild guess is that he's trying to go as far as he can and then try to use what he learnt on the second run through.

Well, less "wild guess" and more "what I'd do in his place, having gone this far".

Maybe he even flat out forgot he can do resets. v:shobon:v

I mean the moment something terrible happened to Sadie, I'd jump back. If I recall correctly, the attempt to save the janitor's family also left some casualties, right?

I mean, would you be ok with now committing six years of your life instead of three? Maybe even more if you hosed up even worse on the second run.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

timp posted:

I think it was just a hypothetical from before he learned about the time portal. Not all that unusual of a question for high school students really, and a good way to try to get them to put themselves into history and get a better appreciation for it.

He did seem to be disappointed that they were suggesting stuff he couldn't use, but I think that was just the show being bad rather than actually trying to imply he knew about time travel at that stage.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

PantsBandit posted:

I mean, would you be ok with now committing six years of your life instead of three? Maybe even more if you hosed up even worse on the second run.

At first I was all for going hog wild with the restarts whenever something minor went wrong. Now I think it's actually smarter to do a test run and use the gathered intelligence to do another run in hopes that one is good enough for your purposes, i.e. saving the janitor's family, Sadie and JFK in one fell swoop.

Tiggum posted:

He did seem to be disappointed that they were suggesting stuff he couldn't use, but I think that was just the show being bad rather than actually trying to imply he knew about time travel at that stage.

I think that scene was to contrast his success in the past where he seems to be doing pretty well compared to the jaded kids in the present.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

blue squares posted:

Jake has a terrible Action Man Running Form. He should watch some Tom Cruise movies and take notes.

Why was that running scene so long anyway, all it did was have me wondering poo poo like "Is he running all the way from Dallas to Sadie's apartment?" "Did he take the bus there and now he has to run all the way from the bus stop to make up time?" and "Why the gently caress did he park so far away?" among some even dumber thoughts

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

savinhill posted:

Why was that running scene so long anyway, all it did was have me wondering poo poo like "Is he running all the way from Dallas to Sadie's apartment?" "Did he take the bus there and now he has to run all the way from the bus stop to make up time?" and "Why the gently caress did he park so far away?" among some even dumber thoughts

Yea he's got plenty of money from making bets right? Couldn't he have just gotten in a cab and had it drive him right up to her door instead of having to run from a bus stop?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Yea he's got plenty of money from making bets right? Couldn't he have just gotten in a cab and had it drive him right up to her door instead of having to run from a bus stop?

What's up with the huge cut on Sadie's face in this episode, did she fall down or something? I tried to google for an answer, but nothing came up. Anyway, great episode.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

waitwhatno posted:

What's up with the huge cut on Sadie's face in this episode, did she fall down or something? I tried to google for an answer, but nothing came up. Anyway, great episode.

Is this a joke?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Is this a joke?

I think its somehow a joke about my question being dumb and having an obvious answer, but I really can't figure out what that answer would be. Seriously, why did he have to sprint all the way to her house, presumably from the bus stop?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Maybe it's faster that way? Wheres their current house?

Lycus fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 17, 2016

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

I think its somehow a joke about my question being dumb and having an obvious answer, but I really can't figure out what that answer would be. Seriously, why did he have to sprint all the way to her house, presumably from the bus stop?

Wait, I thought you were making fun of that bus stop guy? Are you seriously asking, if Jake ran to the nearest bus stop, then spend an hour waiting for the bus, spend an hour on the bus and then got out and ran the last few meter like a mad man to Sadie's house?

After losing his teaching job and Sadie, Jake decided to abandon his life in Jodie. He got the phone call just as he was moving out of the house. Presumably, Sadie's house is somewhere down the street from him. I don't think there were buses in Texan small towns in the 60's.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

waitwhatno posted:

After losing his teaching job and Sadie, Jake decided to abandon his life in Jodie. He got the phone call just as he was moving out of the house. Presumably, Sadie's house is somewhere down the street from him. I don't think there were buses in Texan small towns in the 60's.

Wait a minute! This isn't a spoiler at all!

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

ExtraNoise posted:

Wait a minute! This isn't a spoiler at all!

It is to me cuz I had no idea he even had a house in Jardin

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
The last scene of last week's episode had Sadie showing up at his house with a big old casserole dish, and this episode shows her walking away without her car, so it's pretty clear she lives close by, even if you somehow totally miss that he has a house in Jodie in addition to his apartment in Dallas. I think that's established in the third episode, which is also the episode with the time-passing montage a bunch of people totally missed, so did people watch it while playing blindfolded chess or something?

Problematic Pigeon fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 18, 2016

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Or maybe the show's just done a bad job with the integration of the Jodie stuff in to the show, especially when it comes to Jake's Jodie residence. You have Principal Art telling him to take Sadie to a motel so he isn't seen going in or outta Sadie's house an episode ago, so why not assume she's visiting his Dallas spot to deliver the I Love You stamped casserole. Also, the whole recording rig being set up right in just about open view isn't a great indicator that this is his "open life" teacher house where he hides his time travel mission more thoroughly.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

savinhill posted:

Or maybe the show's just done a bad job with the integration of the Jodie stuff in to the show, especially when it comes to Jake's Jodie residence. You have Principal Art telling him to take Sadie to a motel so he isn't seen going in or outta Sadie's house an episode ago, so why not assume she's visiting his Dallas spot to deliver the I Love You stamped casserole. Also, the whole recording rig being set up right in just about open view isn't a great indicator that this is his "open life" teacher house where he hides his time travel mission more thoroughly.

Because it looks nothing like his place in Dallas, no one except Bill knows about the place in Dallas, and the recording stuff was set up to play in plain sight by the Yellow Card Man.

Seriously, my Dad watches this show while reading his emails and the paper and he still picks up on this poo poo.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Problematic Pigeon posted:

Because it looks nothing like his place in Dallas, no one except Bill knows about the place in Dallas, and the recording stuff was set up to play in plain sight by the Yellow Card Man.

Seriously, my Dad watches this show while reading his emails and the paper and he still picks up on this poo poo.
By the Yellow Card Man? Not by Sadie's husband??

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The Yellow Card Man was the person in the house in that scene.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Wow, I just assumed it was the husband. The Yellow Card Man traveled all the way from Maine to gently caress with Jake's girlfriend, what a dick.

I guess since Jake isn't resetting the timeline more we're not getting to see the yellow card change color and the guy get more wildly upset, they did that... kinda freaky in an interesting way, although if the yellow card guy is really actively trying to disrupt Jake he could probably try harder. I guess we should assume he'll do more later. This also seems to indicate he's somewhat omniscient just in that he's able to find Jake and do this...

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

Wow, I just assumed it was the husband. The Yellow Card Man traveled all the way from Maine to gently caress with Jake's girlfriend, what a dick.

I guess since Jake isn't resetting the timeline more we're not getting to see the yellow card change color and the guy get more wildly upset, they did that... kinda freaky in an interesting way, although if the yellow card guy is really actively trying to disrupt Jake he could probably try harder. I guess we should assume he'll do more later. This also seems to indicate he's somewhat omniscient just in that he's able to find Jake and do this...

Re: Yellow Card Man and his card: I think the show will still have the card start to turn as it ramps up, even if its not dependent on resets like it was in the book. Based on how prominent it's featured in the intro, seeing it orange there will probably be the first indicator for a lot of viewers that something major is different now, even if they aren't sure what it is.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
JJ Abrams ia an exectuive producer on this and if Fringe is any indication the dude loves loving around with intros as storytelling shorthand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKHc7pKZdj0

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

Fast Luck posted:

By the Yellow Card Man? Not by Sadie's husband??

You can kinda see his grey stubble, and his darker shirt and sweater match better than Mr. Clothespin's clothes. He also acts spooky rather than menacing and pulls a vanishing act that seems to be supernatural.

I think this is him in episode 2, when Jake's in Kentucky.

You can see the band holding the card in his hat. I haven't noticed him in episodes 3 or 5 though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Did everyone who's going on about the yellow card man read the book? Because I have no idea what you're talking about.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde

Tiggum posted:

Did everyone who's going on about the yellow card man read the book? Because I have no idea what you're talking about.

Yep they haven't tried to explain him much in the show besides having him randomly pop up when jake is loving with history.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Yellow Card Man is the dude outside the rabbit hoe who always says, "You shouldn't be here," to whoever comes through. He has a yellow card in his hat, and Chris Cooper tells Jake he's just a harmless drunk, but he pops up out of nowhere when Jake's getting chased at the JFK rally, and he pops up to lead Sadie to the tape player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The Yellow Card Man was pretty memorable in e1 of the show but having him appear in the shadows like 4 episodes later understandably isn't going to ring a lot of bells.

• Locked thread