Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
i do not understand any element in that image, even the sky is the wrong colour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Negligent posted:

i do not understand any element in that image, even the sky is the wrong colour

Trust negligent to argue that the sky isn't blue

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Why did Lambie just cover two people in Vegemite?

Lambie yet again wasting Australia's most precious natural resource.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY

Fixed

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Just in tragedy struck New Zealand

"New Zealand's 'cannabis crisis': smokers confirm chronic shortage posted:

or once, there’s a bigger problem in New Zealand than its flag being confused with Australia’s: a chronic shortage of marijuana.

The “catastrophic” situation was first reported on by Don Rowe, a staff writer at The Spinoff, who wrote that New Zealand’s most popular illegal substance was “almost unobtainable in any meaningful amount right now”.

“Blame it on the police, the gangs, the weather or just the grow cycle of your average cannabis harvest; no matter which way you slice it, it’s dry out there.”...

So have a thought tonight for our poor New Zealand pals out there struggling at the moment. :(

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

katlington posted:

true or not....it would certainly shut up an ignorant journalist....which should be done more often...why do we pay so much attention to bloody journalists anyway....I mean they report on the bad news and make it seem like our life revolves around it....what about the good news?

don't bad-mouth Leigh Sales mate, you'll get cut

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011
Labor being extremely aggressive, petty and idiotic in the senate right now trying really really hard to filibuster. Will the senate sitting be available to watch at a later date? Having footage of the sickening display shown by Doug Cameron, Conroy and Collins tonight might be handy in future.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

what do they hope to accomplish considering they've been told they're going to be at it until it's done with?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

starkebn posted:

what do they hope to accomplish considering they've been told they're going to be at it until it's done with?

They're trying to remove the ability for a DD to happen.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
It was strangely amusing to hear Conroy say at least twice "I am being harrased"

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
https://twitter.com/FJKeany/status/710476762346434560

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Nick Xenophon's popularity is inexplicable

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Negligent posted:

Nick Xenophon's popularity is inexplicable

Didn't he get voted in on Pokie reform? Since then he seems to be a pretty straight talker. That's probably enough for most people, never mind his record.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

Yep, will not be in Hansard.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ler posted:

Yep, will not be in Hansard.

Censorship in Australia is out of control!

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

dr_rat posted:

Censorship in Australia is out of control!

poo poo, I meant to write it will NOW be in hansard.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
#Senatesleepover fun:
https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/710506787988840449
https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/710522803087278081
https://twitter.com/SimmsRobert/status/710528324624232448

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Yeah. Labor aren't getting my preference. They can go loving hang.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
In case you're wondering, yes they're still going. Last I read they had done 6 out 60 amendments.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
How does the ABCC bill tie in to all of this?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
So as far as I can tell, the only people that are going to change their vote in any way based on Labor's performance of the past week(and their broader strategy for years), is people who currently vote Greens and then preference Labor.

As a result of their actions, there are three responses those voters can make:

1) Continue voting 1 Greens 2 ALP
2) Vote 1 ALP instead of 1 Greens
3) Vote 1 Greens, no longer preference to ALP

The only place where case 2 is of benefit to them is a few inner city electorates.

case 3 is detrimental to them in any close electorate, and every state senate race.

What the gently caress exactly is their idea of a win by doing this?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Solemn Sloth posted:

What the gently caress exactly is their idea of a win by doing this?
Isn't it all about pushing back the reforms so they couldn't be implemented before the DD cut-off?

E: They're expecting it to take til at least lunch time.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 17, 2016

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/710487184738897920

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/mar/17/neverending-story-mania-takes-hold-during-an-interminable-senate-battle

gently caress, look at the comments. Australians are really very stupid.

Although I must say, I have a deep suspicion that all the people saying "I used to fellate the Greens on a twice daily basis but now I feel that they have BETRAYED AUSTRALIA" probably never voted Green in their lives.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

SadisTech posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/mar/17/neverending-story-mania-takes-hold-during-an-interminable-senate-battle

gently caress, look at the comments. Australians are really very stupid.

Although I must say, I have a deep suspicion that all the people saying "I used to fellate the Greens on a twice daily basis but now I feel that they have BETRAYED AUSTRALIA" probably never voted Green in their lives.

If there were that many people who "used to vote Greens", you'd think that the Greens would be hemorrhaging votes these past couple of years. At most, those people would be Labor voters who preference the Greens as a matter of course. All this shrieking on the part of Labor over something that really shouldn't be an issue (and using the marriage equality procedural votes in an attempt to say LOOK THE GREENS DON'T SUPPORT MARRIAGE EQUALITY) makes me wish there was a good independent candidate in my electorate so I could preference them over Labor.

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 17, 2016

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

March Brisbane Goonmeet

Saturday 20th of March

1730 (the online booking wouldnt take 1800, so we can get in early)

Kwan Bros, Fortitude Valley. QLD. 7th layer of hell. 4001.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Greens voted against stopping the Senate from rising until a vote on marriage equality takes place.

quote:

On twitter, reader David Lamb asks me this.

Q: Obviously a huge amount going on, but can you articulate what Labor hopes to achieve by pressing debate on a foregone conclusion?

Utterly reasonable question.

Labor wants voters to take away two messages from this filibuster:

They want to draw attention to the change to the voting system, a change which they argue will wipe micro-parties out of the senate and benefit the Coalition in perpetuity.

And they want to establish in progressive voter’s minds the Greens giving the Turnbull government a smooth take-off ramp for a double dissolution.

Disgraceful. Why would the ALP want to point this out?! SCUM!

EvilElmo fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 17, 2016

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

:smith:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
From what I understand it would have been far more coherent for labor to say "we have to delay senate voting because the Libs will use a DD to pass the ABCC (which the Greens don't support)" then whatever the gently caress happened this week

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Birdstrike posted:

From what I understand it would have been far more coherent for labor to say "we have to delay senate voting because the Libs will use a DD to pass the ABCC (which the Greens don't support)" then whatever the gently caress happened this week

They probably decided that this way would achieve the same thing but hurt the greens too.

Isn't a DD highly unlikely anyway because the budget now can't be bought forward?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

What.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

EvilElmo posted:

Greens voted against stopping the Senate from rising until a vote on marriage equality takes place.

Disgraceful. Why would the ALP want to point this out?! SCUM!

Shut the gently caress up about this now.

Here is a different article for you to defend instead. Qld ALP went to the election that they would protect the reef. The big threat then was the new mine. Now they have approved the mine and taken (at least) $40k in donations from macquarie bank, who did the deal (hang on, that's the same bank their lord mayor candidate used to work for...)

http://www.sandandgravel.com/news/article.asp?v1=22702

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

They probably decided that this way would achieve the same thing but hurt the greens too.

Isn't a DD highly unlikely anyway because the budget now can't be bought forward?

Why cant the budget be bought forward? The senate doesnt need to sit for that to happen and the LNP control the lower house so they decide the sitting weeks.

The Government wants the senate reform bill passed thats why they have extended sitting hours and are stopping the senate from rising. They want it done because they want to have it passed for a DD election.

The ABCC would be passed by a joint sitting after the DD. You guys know thats what happens to trigger bills? Thats why even if the Greens are against the bills, they will get passed after a DD.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Wouldn't Labor want to go to an election early? Why are they so against a DD?

Weren't most of us in this thread cheering for a DD when Abbott was in charge?

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

EvilElmo posted:

Why cant the budget be bought forward? The senate doesnt need to sit for that to happen and the LNP control the lower house so they decide the sitting weeks.

The Government wants the senate reform bill passed thats why they have extended sitting hours and are stopping the senate from rising. They want it done because they want to have it passed for a DD election.

The ABCC would be passed by a joint sitting after the DD. You guys know thats what happens to trigger bills? Thats why even if the Greens are against the bills, they will get passed after a DD.

Bring on the DD pissweak dog fucker dry wank piece of poo poo can't-win-the-next-election tory wannabes

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Wouldn't Labor want to go to an election early? Why are they so against a DD?

Weren't most of us in this thread cheering for a DD when Abbott was in charge?

If you want another Liberal Government, you want an election now. Make them go the distance. Defend their budget and negotiate with the crossbench to get their budget through.

You might have noticed Abbott isnt PM.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

asio posted:

Shut the gently caress up about this now.

Here is a different article for you to defend instead. Qld ALP went to the election that they would protect the reef. The big threat then was the new mine. Now they have approved the mine and taken (at least) $40k in donations from macquarie bank, who did the deal (hang on, that's the same bank their lord mayor candidate used to work for...)

http://www.sandandgravel.com/news/article.asp?v1=22702

I am EvilElmo and I am going to ignore this post because it makes the glorious ALP look bad while not allowing me to spin it to make the horrible evil Greens look worse.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
They did a piece of ABC24 about why the timing of the Saturday is important and why they believed June whatever to be the date they really really wanted, where they have to dodge the various sporting seasons, holidays, events, while also having a clear window for campaigning without coming up against an actual normal election period.

They just want to flush the senate while the tide is high basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Periphery posted:

I am EvilElmo and I am going to ignore this post because it makes the glorious ALP look bad while not allowing me to spin it to make the horrible evil Greens look worse.

Post your watch.

Greens voted with the Liberals to stop a vote on marriage equality last night.

• Locked thread