Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

Well I got my account separated from Steam but apparently I am one of those people who gets stuck on "Checking resources..." :smith:

e: I give up, all the solutions for this problem either didn't work for me or are super retarded. I guess I'd rather wait an hour per patch than not play at all :shrug:

I think you have to delete the big content.ggk file or whatever it's called (not at my PC) and then run the launcher. It can be stuck on checking resources for ages though. It's happened to me a couple of times, I've got a fast SSD and it took up to 30 minutes before it started downloading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

ZenVulgarity posted:

So far the only thing I have trouble with is zoning out and then randomly I'll nick a ele reflect mob off screen due to arc arcin' it up and I pop myself

If I take vaal pact and have a bunch of LL to spells, would that counteract me instagibbing myself

yes, random reflect death is one of those must counter things in the late game

but you should have more life or es than a quarter of a single arc does to you

Korwin
Jan 24, 2011

Ada posted:

I went and bought a high roll, 5 link Marohi Erqi for 1.5ex. I'm still not decided on what skill to use with it. Earthquake is the obvious one but maybe something exotic. Leap Slam? Sweep :newlol: ?
How do you pay an half of an ex? Do you need to argue about how much you get in exchange for that half?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Korwin posted:

How do you pay an half of an ex? Do you need to argue about how much you get in exchange for that half?

I usually just offer 1ex + Y chaos straight up when I PM. They let me know if that's too low or not.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People will just tell you how much they want in chaos when asked. Then it's up to you to bargain if you want.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

FileNotFound posted:

You can only have one hideout, but you can switch them as you wish - but ideally you want it to be a master that you intend to get to the highest level. In general people go with masters that are essentially impossible to fail missions for like Elron, Tora and Catarina. You don't want your hideout to be linked to a master that is difficult for some builds - for example certain Vorici missions are flat out impossible for some builds and Zana missions can end up with map mods that you simply cannot do or time limits to find items that simply refuse to drop.

Finally you'll want to run dailies with other people so you can do their dailies as well as yours as that will allow you to level your masters significantly faster.

Okay, so if my Witch has most of the minion nodes, getting a hideout with Catarina would make sense?

What are dailies?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

A Strange Aeon posted:

Okay, so if my Witch has most of the minion nodes, getting a hideout with Catarina would make sense?

What are dailies?

Every day a master will give you a mission that gives you 250% the normal reputation gain.

Also - a common misconception is that you need to invite all the masters in to get all the crafting benches - you don't. Just type /claim_crafting_benches and you'll get all the benches for all masters.

You certainly want Catarina as a master and her missions are very easy but not the easiest.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
every day starting at midnight UTC, masters you have invited into your hideout will offer you their mission, at an area level adjusted according to their master level. Completing that mission will grant you 250% of the experience you would normally gain for that area level.

Whether or not you complete or fail the mission, ending the mission will also reset the shop of the master.

Elreon is usually the go-to choice because he offers Elreon flat "-(4-8) to mana cost of skills" rings and amulets, he offers a useful currency discount (32 alts->20 jewelers, once daily), and he offers resistance crafts on jewelery, which are useful early. You also encounter him early, in Act One Normal. This is why so many players use Enlightened Hideouts.

Vagan is also nice to have, if only to sell Vagan daggers ("Hits cannot be evaded"). Vagan is also really quick to clear. Leo is a freebie (he doesn't count toward the hideout cap on the number of invited masters).

In a largeish guild it's easy to find someone with sufficiently-levelled crafting benches, meaning that you don't have to have your favoured master to access its crafts.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Also worth noting that to begin with you can only have one master in your hideout, but once you level them up a bit you can begin to add more. I can't remember the precise levels.

VVV You can't use their benches, but you can give your item to your mate and have them use the bench.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 17, 2016

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

ronya posted:

In a largeish guild it's easy to find someone with sufficiently-levelled crafting benches, meaning that you don't have to have your favoured master to access its crafts.

When I try to use my friend's hideout I can't do anything but sell things to his masters and it tells me I'm not allowed to use someone else's crafting items when I click them.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Give friend item + currency, friend crafts item with his bench, (hopefully) get item back from friend.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

ronya posted:

You also do not need a master in your hideout to use the benches at all. You can get all the crafting benches for all masters that are level 3+ and use them despite never having them in your hideout.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I'm finally at the level where level 60 items are dropping. Should I be alch-ing normal amulets, rings, and belts to rare for the chaos orb vendor recipe? Those three items are the clear bottleneck for it and I could see myself blowing through my alch's pretty fast.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

jerkstore77 posted:

I'm finally at the level where level 60 items are dropping. Should I be alch-ing normal amulets, rings, and belts to rare for the chaos orb vendor recipe? Those three items are the clear bottleneck for it and I could see myself blowing through my alch's pretty fast.

Well, according to poe.trade you can get a chaos for 3.5 to 4 alchemy, depending on league. So basically, if it takes you 4 alchemy to get a chaos through the recipe you should just vendor all the rares for shards and straight up buy chaos with your alchs.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Vortex witch is pretty good so far.

Same, but with scion.

Speaking of which, what Ascendancy nodes are good for a Blade Vortex Scion? I'm thinking Berserker for the Damage/Life Leech, and... maybe Slayer to mow down those Rare/Unique enemies?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Bunch of people who don't have a lot of disposable income ever ITT

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Holyshoot posted:

Bunch of people who don't have a lot of disposable income ever ITT

I'd rather spend it on something more productive, like destroying myself with drugs and alcohol

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

jerkstore77 posted:

Personally, I only ach high roll 2 stone rings. Then I take 3 crap ones and turn those into rare prismatics and if that also ends up crap THEN its's chaos recipe fodder.

I don't bother with amulets, but will roll perfect life or strength belts.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
PSA: Today has the easiest Leo daily. Just go AFK in Sarn Arena for 3 minutes and that s it. If you haven't leveled him at all it will take him from no experience to halfway to level 3.

Korwin
Jan 24, 2011
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Korwin077/characters
So looking at Khoraswor and his Equipment (and his Passiv-Skill-Tree?), is there something obvious missing.
I would guess that I need to replace the boots? Cold resist is not at the cap (without Endurance charges).

I'm still dying embarrasingly often (ok Kole was with an Ghost inside, without he was dead fast). With fortify and 8 Endurance charges. I suppose I'm a bad Player ;-)

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I'm thinking of making an RF Marauder, but could use some guidance.

Tree

What I know I want:

Shield (Rise of the Phoenix): Righteous Fire - Increased Burning Damage - Increased AoE (can't think of anything else to link with RF)
Helm: Flammability - Blasphemy - Purity of Fire - Vitality (can just barely run all 3 auras thanks to tree)
Gloves: Cast When Damage Taken (1) - Molten Shell (10) - Immortal Call (3) - Increased Duration (4)
Boots: Leap Slam - Faster Attacks - Reduced Mana (my go fast/gtfo skill)
Enduring Cry somewhere (to get charges when Ramako doesn't)

Now I'm torn between a couple of different paths:

*Be lazy and just use RF to burn everything down - Pick up a Kaom's Heart and a Clayshaper, run both Stone and Fire golems.
*Actually use RF's spell damage bonus - Get actual body armor so I can socket in a spell. Flame Surge seems like an obvious choice. Another idea was to pick up a Pyre (probably pick one up regardless) and run Ice Nova (mobs) - Cold Snap (single target) - IAOE - Spell Echo. Probably stick with just the Stone Golem.
*Do Earthquake because everyone else is doing it - Meh, I'd rather not, especially since I'll either have to go RT or deal with poo poo accuracy.

I know I'll need a shitload of help with Intelligence, but really all I need is INT, health and health regen on gear (and resistances obviously).

Thoughts?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

sweet docks bro:

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

whypick1 posted:

I'm thinking of making an RF Marauder, but could use some guidance.

Tree

What I know I want:

Shield (Rise of the Phoenix): Righteous Fire - Increased Burning Damage - Increased AoE (can't think of anything else to link with RF)
Helm: Flammability - Blasphemy - Purity of Fire - Vitality (can just barely run all 3 auras thanks to tree)
Gloves: Cast When Damage Taken (1) - Molten Shell (10) - Immortal Call (3) - Increased Duration (4)
Boots: Leap Slam - Faster Attacks - Reduced Mana (my go fast/gtfo skill)
Enduring Cry somewhere (to get charges when Ramako doesn't)

Now I'm torn between a couple of different paths:

*Be lazy and just use RF to burn everything down - Pick up a Kaom's Heart and a Clayshaper, run both Stone and Fire golems.
*Actually use RF's spell damage bonus - Get actual body armor so I can socket in a spell. Flame Surge seems like an obvious choice. Another idea was to pick up a Pyre (probably pick one up regardless) and run Ice Nova (mobs) - Cold Snap (single target) - IAOE - Spell Echo. Probably stick with just the Stone Golem.
*Do Earthquake because everyone else is doing it - Meh, I'd rather not, especially since I'll either have to go RT or deal with poo poo accuracy.

I know I'll need a shitload of help with Intelligence, but really all I need is INT, health and health regen on gear (and resistances obviously).

Thoughts?

Is there actually a compelling reason to run self cast RF rather than totem?

Also if you intend to cast spells - firestorm seems like the more obvious choice.

Also why go all the way down to templar start but not get Tireless nodes?

I would also get Soul of Steel and Defiance since you seem to be investing in shield and armor else where.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I'm looking to either buy a high level armor or armor/evasion white helmet with the reduced earthquake enchant, or just one with a middling life roll and at least one resist around 30ish. I only have about 1.5ex to spend.

it seems like XYZ is plagued with flippers and it's impossible to buy an earthquake hat for less than several exalts, and half the time they are something like abyssus or rat's nest that would be bad for my build anyways or on a bringer of rain which, again, is pretty useless.

I was really hoping this league would have a good market for white enchanted items but alas. I'd be happy to just buy a high level armor or armor/es white helm with the earthquake enchant and chaos spam it myself. :sigh:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

FileNotFound posted:

Is there actually a compelling reason to run self cast RF rather than totem?

Also if you intend to cast spells - firestorm seems like the more obvious choice.

Also why go all the way down to templar start but not get Tireless nodes?

I would also get Soul of Steel and Defiance since you seem to be investing in shield and armor else where.

I've seen complains about RF totems being a bitch when it comes to single-targets. Besides, running up to a mob and having them melt just looks cool.

Although you do have me thinking of a totem build that might be able to deal with that. Shockwave Totem + RF totem + Empire's Grasp = pull everything into the fire. Tree I whipped up for it.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I've been slowly leveling a Marauder/Berzerker, just hit 60. I was using Sunder to level, trying to make the switch over to Cyclone now.

I think I'm doing something wrong tactically because Cyclone's duty cycle is a fraction of Sunder. Maybe I'm just lazy and want the simplicity of holding a button that auto-targets bosses, but Cyclone spends a lot of time spinning off where the enemy isn't. Am I supposed to be spamming clicks instead of holding the button and waggling the mouse?

Also, bumped a couple tabs up to premium, trading is amazing now. My price model is still a couple leagues old, like i thought alch:chaos was 2:1 instead of 4:1.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I'm glad alchs are cheaper. I like to just alch and go on maps unless it's reflect or blood magic (which isn't even really a problem for my current dude), and I like alching white jewelry or high base chests/gloves/boots. It's a pretty cheap way to sometimes gamble some good stuff.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
What should I roll if I want to be able to be viable on basically all maps? Trying to crush some cheevs this league, including twinned 15s I guess. Ideally looking for good->great clearspeed and "not giving a gently caress what mods the map rolled". Maybe some kind of self-cast RF juggernaut or something?

e: Should note, I'm on SC and don't mind spending up to maybe 20 exalts on the build.

The March Hare fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 17, 2016

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

The March Hare posted:

What should I roll if I want to be able to be viable on basically all maps? Trying to crush some cheevs this league, including twinned 15s I guess. Ideally looking for good->great clearspeed and "not giving a gently caress what mods the map rolled". Maybe some kind of self-cast RF juggernaut or something?

e: Should note, I'm on SC and don't mind spending up to maybe 20 exalts on the build.

That ice trap build everyone is going.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Chaos damage also seems to be the bees knees right now.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

The March Hare posted:

Traps or full chaos builds are always the best for "run any mod" builds, you avoid or ignore a bunch of nasty mods that way. Ice Trap builds are really powerful right now.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

JawnV6 posted:

I think I'm doing something wrong tactically because Cyclone's duty cycle is a fraction of Sunder. Maybe I'm just lazy and want the simplicity of holding a button that auto-targets bosses, but Cyclone spends a lot of time spinning off where the enemy isn't. Am I supposed to be spamming clicks instead of holding the button and waggling the mouse?

you need to target closer to yourself, in the direction you want to go (this btw shortens the cycle but keeps up the attacks per second, i.e. ups dps and mana consumption, this is also the reason increased movespeed increases cyclone dps)

basically cyclone checks where you click and goes there no matter what, that's why you overshoot single targets

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea if you want to run literally any mod it's a bit restrictive. There's a lot of very powerful builds that can do all but 1 or 2 mods or anything but specific combos.

I am playing Explosive Arrow this league and it can do anything but elemental reflect or the combo of no regen + no leech, and easily handles T15 twinned or crazy 8mod maps.

With a 20ex budget you could look into CoC Discharge or lowlife CoC phys spells, those can both run just short of everything. The flask build, either Pathfinder + Blade Vortex or just whatever with EK/BV can clear more or less any combination of mods with a very high clear speed.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Bugsy posted:

PSA: Today has the easiest Leo daily. Just go AFK in Sarn Arena for 3 minutes and that s it. If you haven't leveled him at all it will take him from no experience to halfway to level 3.

Is there any point to leveling Leo if you have literally 0 interest in PVP?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Cinara posted:

Yea if you want to run literally any mod it's a bit restrictive. There's a lot of very powerful builds that can do all but 1 or 2 mods or anything but specific combos.

I am playing Explosive Arrow this league and it can do anything but elemental reflect or the combo of no regen + no leech, and easily handles T15 twinned or crazy 8mod maps.

With a 20ex budget you could look into CoC Discharge or lowlife CoC phys spells, those can both run just short of everything. The flask build, either Pathfinder + Blade Vortex or just whatever with EK/BV can clear more or less any combination of mods with a very high clear speed.

Yeah, I'm liking the look of LL CoC phys spells if that's the scion build running cyclone + BV etc?

J
Jun 10, 2001

StashAugustine posted:

Is there any point to leveling Leo if you have literally 0 interest in PVP?

He offers a few crafts that are relevant in pve to certain builds. Increased damage over time to weapons, and reduced damage taken from damage over time effects to shields being the 2 main ones. The former is useful for caustic arrow or any dot focused build, the latter works with RF and can allow RF builds to use a different shield other than rise of the phoenix. Of course if you want either of these mods it'd be quicker and easier to just find someone else with the mod and pay them to do it for you, but still.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
So I decided to get back into PoE but I seem to keep running into crashes left and right and was wondering if any other goons have seen this problem and what you did to resolve it...Prior to these issues I had ~700 hours of flawless PoE play (all on a much older, weaker computer).

My game will totally black screen anywhere from 10 seconds into a game to around 1.5 hours (longest I've went w/o a crash). It's not even a light crash either, my screen goes black, keyboard becomes unresponsive and I've got to hit the reset button (I still retain sound, and certain programs like Skype keep working as I can keep talking with people). I simply can no longer use my keyboard, and the screen remains black forever.

I also sometimes (if I'm lucky) will get a popup that often says slightly different things, but usually mentions "OUT OF MEMORY" regardless of the specific error. At least with this one, it just boots me back to the desktop and I don't have to reboot the machine.

I've tried playing with graphics sliders (all high, all low, medium, etc), full screen vs windowed - All give similar results.
Updated all drivers for computer - No dice.
Fresh install of the game, verified game files - No dice.

I don't quite believe it's a hardware problem as this is a pretty beefy rig (16gb ram, 980Ti, 6700k) and I can play ton's of other games like FO4, HoTS, World of Warships and BF4 at High/Ultra settings for hours with no issues at all. That being said I'd look at any solution, even if it comes down to a specific piece of hardware just not cooperating with PoE.

Also gave it the ol' google search, but most of the similar issues are from years ago and were due to PoE being run on someone's toaster. Nothing of substance to troubleshoot off of.

Any other goons running into this issue? Fell free to let me know I need to supply more info for a proper diagnosis.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I think some people have had more luck with the standalone client vs. the Steam client. Have you tried that?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

J posted:

He offers a few crafts that are relevant in pve to certain builds. Increased damage over time to weapons, and reduced damage taken from damage over time effects to shields being the 2 main ones. The former is useful for caustic arrow or any dot focused build, the latter works with RF and can allow RF builds to use a different shield other than rise of the phoenix. Of course if you want either of these mods it'd be quicker and easier to just find someone else with the mod and pay them to do it for you, but still.

His signature mod is 5 to 15% increased damage which can spawn on rings. Also good but more corner cases are 20 - 25% chance to avoid chill/freeze/ignite/shock and 25 - 35% avoid being stunned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Korwin posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Korwin077/characters
So looking at Khoraswor and his Equipment (and his Passiv-Skill-Tree?), is there something obvious missing.
I would guess that I need to replace the boots? Cold resist is not at the cap (without Endurance charges).

I'm still dying embarrasingly often (ok Kole was with an Ghost inside, without he was dead fast). With fortify and 8 Endurance charges. I suppose I'm a bad Player ;-)

You should spend 10-20 chaos upgrading your gear. Very little of it has life rolls and those that do are really low. You should easily be able to cap your resistances and get a lot of life for 20c total.

edit: also probably take endurance charge on melee stun off of the 5-link.

nearly killed em! fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 18, 2016

• Locked thread