Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

ElMaligno posted:

And now that the Bike has touring windscreen instead of a useless windscreen I can actually take it all the way up to 80 MPH without feeling like I am windsurfing innit.

Gave up on that whole neck muscles thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

clutchpuck posted:

Gave up on that whole neck muscles thing?

I already do neck excersises and get chocked out in Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, no need to further punish my neck.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

ElMaligno posted:

I already do neck excersises and get chocked out in Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, no need to further punish my neck.

Stop using billboards on top of your helmet as extra advertising revenue?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

herro.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 17, 2016

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I broke a bolt off in it.

(And fixed the carbs, and adjusted the valves. But mostly broke a bolt off in it.)

It's super convenient that it happened on the very last bolt before my shakedown run god drat everything

Two bolts for the rear tank mount on a Ninjette is overkill, right? Right? :smithicide:

At least it starts and runs fine. First carb work and second valve adjustment, check. The previous owner, or one of the places I've taken it to, seems to have missed a pilot screw washer when reassembling the carbs last time, making the tune way off for one cylinder and cold starting a bitch. I feex.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
That bolt broken/missing wouldn't stop me from riding it in the least

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

HotCanadianChick posted:

Stop using billboards on top of your helmet as extra advertising revenue?

As a person who lives in the bay area i need all the money I can get in order to live in the bay area.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

EX250 Type R posted:

That bolt broken/missing wouldn't stop me from riding it in the least
Oh, it didn't, which is the only reason I know the bike runs (and leaks oil from... somewhere that isn't the valve cover...)

I'm fixin' to sell it soon, though, so I'd rather extract it before then.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Put it up for sale, finally (the honda). I thought £1200 was highballing it a bit, but when I checked this afternoon I find there's not a cheaper one for like a hundred miles, and not many even then. The next cheapest in the the county is £1500, and only a year younger.

What is up with 125 prices, seriously :psyduck:

(I know the answer is almost certainly "captive market" on account of staged licencing. Thanks Obama.)

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Fifty Three posted:

I broke a bolt off in it.

(And fixed the carbs, and adjusted the valves. But mostly broke a bolt off in it.)

It's super convenient that it happened on the very last bolt before my shakedown run god drat everything

Two bolts for the rear tank mount on a Ninjette is overkill, right? Right? :smithicide:

At least it starts and runs fine. First carb work and second valve adjustment, check. The previous owner, or one of the places I've taken it to, seems to have missed a pilot screw washer when reassembling the carbs last time, making the tune way off for one cylinder and cold starting a bitch. I feex.

Heh, I found broken bolt threads in the exact same hole of my Ninja 250. Looks like the tank bracket hasn't changed between generations. I was able to remove what remained of the old bolt by removing the gas tank, reaching up under the gas tank bracket with some pliers or a vise-grip (or both), and screwing it out. Then I put a new bolt in.

The Ninja 250 sure has a lot of "DON'T OVERTIGHTEN THIS" bolts.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised to find enough on the other side to back out with pliers after I removed the bracket. Wish I'd tried that before buying a screw extractor set, but whatcha gonna do.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Fifty Three posted:

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised to find enough on the other side to back out with pliers after I removed the bracket. Wish I'd tried that before buying a screw extractor set, but whatcha gonna do.

You needed an extractor set anyway, you were just lucky this time :q:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Slide Hammer posted:

Lookin at you pre gen fairing gas tank bolts

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Slide Hammer posted:

The Big 4 have a long and storied history of using fasteners made of cheese.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Bucephalus posted:

The Big 4 have a long and storied history of using fasteners made of cheese.

I once broke one of the bolts holding my DRZ's front sprocket cover on. Now there's about 1/3" of bolt stuck in the bottom of the hole.

In my defense, I wasn't using much force to remove the bolt. It just came out shorter than when I put the thing in :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Rode it for the first time in almost five months. :woop:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Old and busted vs. new hotness:

VVV Hurr

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 18, 2016

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bucephalus posted:

Old and busted vs. new hotness:

Good call getting rid of the silver buttons

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Got the new speedo cable fitted finally.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Currently disassembling the 1979 CB650's headstock/lamp/switches/indicators in preparation for replacement. My past electrical transgressions are coming back to haunt me.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Installed cell-phone stand
Touring Windshield
Took off the MotoQuest stickers.
Cleaned it a bit

Also the bike has Alaska plates, so that may explain why it has so many miles :v:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Threw up some new shoes on the dizzer

poo poo it feels loving weird. Bike doesn't want to come back up on its own in turns and it turns in so fast.

Also I don't think the sprocket is the same as my SM wheels cause it feels like it has no power in 1st - 3rd. Although that might be because I've been riding the tuono for the last 2 weeks.

Also in true form I immediately crashed into a tree and almost busted the mirror while attempting a hill climb
lol.

Fun summer up ahead.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Razzled posted:

Threw up some new shoes on the dizzer

poo poo it feels loving weird. Bike doesn't want to come back up on its own in turns and it turns in so fast.

Also I don't think the sprocket is the same as my SM wheels cause it feels like it has no power in 1st - 3rd. Although that might be because I've been riding the tuono for the last 2 weeks.

Also in true form I immediately crashed into a tree and almost busted the mirror while attempting a hill climb
lol.

Fun summer up ahead.

Nice! What kind of tires? You can always just count the sprockets. I just went from 14-47 to 15-49 and it's noticeably faster with less low end grunt even though if you look at the ratios it's the smallest change I could really make.

I really like these for mirrors: https://www.doubletakemirror.com The RAM balls deform over time but if you loosen them up and leave them for a few days they go back to a sphere.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Looking at your photo it looks like the same sm sprocket...different rolling diameters between the two wheels, etc.

I run 14/44 on sm and 14/47 on dirt with 1/2 of a wide ratio kit. works well for single track and freeway, or supermotoin' off kerbs and DD use.

content: 6k oil change, valve check. hasn't moved .001mm since the build. pretty happy about it.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Ended up going with Michelin T63s in 90/90/21 and 130/80/18.

Those mirrors look great functionally but drat they look awful aesthetically

LarryCsonka
Nov 7, 2006
Oooh, I don't go map-finding-behinding

Gorson posted:

Got the winter project into rideable condition.

Apologies for the JJ Abrams lens flare.

Nice Hawk. I am replacing the eccentric bearing in mine at the moment

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

So are Hawks fun as poo poo to ride? Cause they look like it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They're a (slightly) more wobbly SV650 with a lot less power and a not-poo poo instrument cluster, but you feel about a million times cooler.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Last night I put on new Euro bars, a new mirror, and rebuilt the left indicator.
Before:

After:

Obviously I need to take some poo poo off my keychain and repaint my clamps and triple.

Since the new bars are longer than stock, I expected vibration to be worse, at least in amplitude. They're also not tapped for weights, which means my options for universal bar end weights that are heavy enough are pretty limited and expensive. Also don't want to make them any wider than I have to. So I decided to make my own bar snake. Turns out a standard road bike tube fits perfectly inside a 7/8" bar. I ziptied off one end, snaked a wire through, and dragged the whole thing through the bar. Then I got a funnel and filled it with sand and packed it all in and ziptied it off on the other end. They're now 1150 g, compared to ~450 g empty and the stock bars were 747 g. Hopefully it works.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

LarryCsonka posted:

Nice Hawk. I am replacing the eccentric bearing in mine at the moment

:cheers:

Now would be a great time to change out the cush drive rubbers if you haven't already.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

So are Hawks fun as poo poo to ride? Cause they look like it.

Yes! With a few upgrades they feel like a modern bike. Honda wasn't messing around when they designed the frame. It's a freaking work of art.

Slavvy posted:

They're a (slightly) more wobbly SV650 with a lot less power and a not-poo poo instrument cluster, but you feel about a million times cooler.

This. Also: SSSA

LarryCsonka
Nov 7, 2006
Oooh, I don't go map-finding-behinding

Gorson posted:

:cheers:

Now would be a great time to change out the cush drive rubbers if you haven't already.

Yes! With a few upgrades they feel like a modern bike. Honda wasn't messing around when they designed the frame. It's a freaking work of art.

This. Also: SSSA

Yup, I changed out the cush drive rubber and will be putting on a new chain and sprockets

And yeah the hawk has a SSSA and is therefore better than an SV650

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lol @ calling the sv650 cluster lovely

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
If there is anything I hate more than wind screens on bikes, or anything in my field of view, it's long highway rides straining against the wind. So the first step in making the WRX a babyADV was to go to the dark side.

Slipstreamer Spitfire.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That is awful, you are a terrible person.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Does it work? I remember trying something like that on a DR and it didn't really make that much of a difference.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Go fully adventure rally kit or nothing at all.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lol @ calling the sv650 cluster lovely

I owned one and found the LCD display utterly useless, same with my ZX10. It's also ugly.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

I owned one and found the LCD display utterly useless, same with my ZX10. It's also ugly.

I mean, it displays the speed in big chunky numbers, temp and various distances, along with errors in smaller numbers, what more do you want? It also has an analog tach in 1k rpm increments as God intended.

Also in sv650 speedo news, I sort of want one of these: https://youtu.be/H76nNSTEA2c

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I want a speedo that isn't a hard to see LCD display perpetually lagging behind what I'm actually doing is what I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

clutchpuck posted:

That is awful, you are a terrible person.

I AGREE. I'm so ashamed. The reason I really went for the slipstreamer is that it's removed in seconds. I love my sumo in it's minimal hoony form, and won't use that unless I'm going long distance.

abigserve posted:

Does it work? I remember trying something like that on a DR and it didn't really make that much of a difference.

Short answer: Yes. No air on my chest, neck, and chin, has a huge effect on highway stress. Tonight I took the long way home by highway and didn't feel the need to take side roads as soon as it was viable.
Long answer: All the air is directed at my forehead which is painful. I have it adjusted all the way up, and the 2inch risers I'm getting should help, but at some point you are trading no head buffeting for the edge of acrylic in your line of sight. The jury is still out.

Z3n posted:

Go fully adventure rally kit or nothing at all.

GOD YES. I used to hate how those looked but now I can't handle it. I'm going for a minimalist adv if I can, and prefer not to set massive piles of money on fire for this. I'm setting piles of money on fire, sure, but want to keep the wrx looking as much like normal as possible.

I have a aerodynamic bash plate, billet rack, rotopax, and waterproof bag, which should all balance out the look a bit more. Right now it's just a supermoto with a windscreen, which is terrible.