Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

tadashi posted:

Somehow I ended up with some extra Arena store tokens. If I have already spent the day's PvP reward on Sid, who would be the next target if I want to get a good GW character? I have a 3 star Han, so he seems like the obvious choice but I just wondered if there's somebody who's better for GW?

It resets every 6 hours, man. Just buy two Sids today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

PVP
The enemy Dooku wins the coin-flip, -okay
Lightning stuns my Phasma and Dooku -can still turn this around!
My Daka fizzles her stun attempt -ruh roh, one last hail mary!!
My Lumi misses her special to finish off their Sid
Their Lumi gets to heal
Their Phasma gets to do the turn-order wankery and they kill half my team, rest at 10% health
I've done about 5% damage to their Sid all said

Rematch
The enemy Dooku wins the coin-flip
Lightning stuns my Sid and Dooku

Nuffle: :mediocre:

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 17, 2016

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Just got another droid package so it appears the Google Play droid thing is ongoing for 15 days? Might have to take back what I said because 30 shards of various droids is pretty handy.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Syrinxx posted:

Just got another droid package so it appears the Google Play droid thing is ongoing for 15 days? Might have to take back what I said because 30 shards of various droids is pretty handy.

Oh wow, I thought that was a one-time pack. 15 days of that pack means you might actually get a droid (probably magnatard) as opposed to shards. The event still is kinda lame...but, it's better than the nothing that iOS gets.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Syrinxx posted:

I'm hoping I can unlock these droids this way, which would own. I don't know what the drop rate is, but they're all in the loot table of the package.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
Out of 4 pack opens (2 accounts), I've gotten between 10k and 50k credits each. From 3 packs, I got 2 shards of a random droid. From 1 pack, I opened IG-100, so, I've almost got him to 3*, which is something. I'm wondering if I should farm IG-88 to 4* (he's currently 3*) just in case I open HK or another couple IG-100s.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Pimpmust posted:

PVP
The enemy Dooku wins the coin-flip, -okay
Lightning stuns my Phasma and Dooku -can still turn this around!
My Daka fizzles her stun attempt -ruh roh, one last hail mary!!
My Lumi misses her special to finish off their Sid
Their Lumi gets to heal
Their Phasma gets to do the turn-order wankery and they kill half my team, rest at 10% health
I've done about 5% damage to their Sid all said

Rematch
The enemy Dooku wins the coin-flip
Lightning stuns my Sid and Dooku

Nuffle: :mediocre:

Replace Sid with GS and Phasma with QGJ. Dooku stuns don't go very far when their 5 unstunned characters are still getting out damaged by your 3 remaining characters.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
I was starting to think I should maybe give up my second account, takes too drat long. However, I just opened Ewok Elder, so it's totally on now.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Mooktastical posted:

Replace Sid with GS and Phasma with QGJ. Dooku stuns don't go very far when their 5 unstunned characters are still getting out damaged by your 3 remaining characters.
Also don't use Lumi's thing on Sid because he will evade Jedi like 99.99% of the time on defense

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Syrinxx posted:

Also don't use Lumi's thing on Sid because he will evade Jedi like 99.99% of the time on defense

It's not that high. It's only like half of the time :suicide:

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.
So I'm kinda thinking about getting the Assassin Droid Bundle because I like the idea of a Poggle and all droid team. I already have IG-86 (2*) and IG-88 (5*). Does anyone know if it will just add the characters together so that I end up with 3* IG-86 and 7* IG-88?

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Trampus posted:

So I'm kinda thinking about getting the Assassin Droid Bundle because I like the idea of a Poggle and all droid team. I already have IG-86 (2*) and IG-88 (5*). Does anyone know if it will just add the characters together so that I end up with 3* IG-86 and 7* IG-88?

Not quite. It depends on the starting * level of the hero. IG-86 is a 1* hero, which is equivalent to 10 shards. This means you'll get ~5 IG-86 shards. I think that pack comes with a bunch of IG-86 Shards though (I think 70) - so he'll be pretty close to 5 off this. IG-88 is a 3* hero, which is 50 shards, so you'll get 25 ~20 shards, plus an additional 30 shards from the pack. This is a lot of progress towards 6*. The big win for you is 4* Hk-47, since you probably don't have him. I could be wrong about the additional shards (can't see the deal anymore), but I think it gives you enough shards to take each hero to 4*.

If you're really gung-ho about getting droids, it isn't a terrible deal. Getting this early will help you jump to the top of Arena (unless there are super whales on your server), and you'll get a lot of crystals if you can make top 5 daily. However, they're all farmable from Arena or GW (and 86 has some HMs too), so you might as well just get them there.

e: to clarify the first paragraph, each hero in this game has an unlockable * level. With one exception (Yoda), this is between 1* and 4*. The number of shards required to unlock that hero is cumulative to the star, so, 1* is 10, 2* is 10 + 15 = 25, 3* is 25 + 25 = 50, and 4* is 50 + 30 = 80 shards. When you acquire a hero you already own, you get a little less than one half of the shards required to originally unlock that hero, so 1* is about 4, 2* is about 10, 3* is about 20, and 4* is about 30.

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 18, 2016

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Trampus posted:

It's the most cost effective pack. I'd recommend buying it, if your thinking of dropping money on the game.

Farm poggle and ig86 shards from gw, ig88 from arena, GS from cantina battle, and Poe from the cantina shop

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

It's the most cost effective pack. I'd recommend buying it, if your thinking of dropping money on the game.

Farm poggle and ig86 shards from gw, ig88 from arena, GS from cantina battle, and Poe from the cantina shop

I wouldn't recommend spending money on this game, but, if you are going to, there are only three things worth spending money on:
1) Energy (boring)
2) Droid pack (wins arena)
3) Heroine pack (wins GW)

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I only spend money on crystals to buy credits if I have a poo poo load of accumulated training droids. It's the only thing with a guaranteed pay off. You can pay $10 and level a poo poo ton of characters or maybe get some shards by spending it on energy which has a diminishing return on purchase and you could end up empty handed.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

cowofwar posted:

I only spend money on crystals to buy credits if I have a poo poo load of accumulated training droids. It's the only thing with a guaranteed pay off. You can pay $10 and level a poo poo ton of characters or maybe get some shards by spending it on energy which has a diminishing return on purchase and you could end up empty handed.

Long term, energy pays off really well, especially if you do it while starting out. Early on, I was doing 2 refreshes of Cantina (300 crystals) and 4 refreshes of normal (300 crystals), which results in an additional 240 cantina energy and 480 regular energy. Not only does this speed your leveling progress, but it also increases how many training droids you get early (which, until about level 60, it's easy to run out of those). By leveling faster, unlocking cantina battle/cantina token heroes, and getting purple gear faster, you'll find it easy to stay near the top of arena until people start to catch up in levels, at which point you should be several thousand crystals ahead from arena winnings. I put about $50 into this game, and until the past 3 weeks (been playing since December), I was staying in the top 10 without trying, and getting top 3 almost every day.

Now that I'm 70, yeah, gold and cantina refreshes are the only thing worth doing. I'm keeping top 20 most days, and putting 100 crystals into regular energy and 100 crystals into cantina per day, saving up the rest (about 100 crystals per day) so that when the level cap comes around, I will be able to level a little faster again.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Malgrin posted:

Long term, energy pays off really well, especially if you do it while starting out. Early on, I was doing 2 refreshes of Cantina (300 crystals) and 4 refreshes of normal (300 crystals), which results in an additional 240 cantina energy and 480 regular energy. Not only does this speed your leveling progress, but it also increases how many training droids you get early (which, until about level 60, it's easy to run out of those). By leveling faster, unlocking cantina battle/cantina token heroes, and getting purple gear faster, you'll find it easy to stay near the top of arena until people start to catch up in levels, at which point you should be several thousand crystals ahead from arena winnings. I put about $50 into this game, and until the past 3 weeks (been playing since December), I was staying in the top 10 without trying, and getting top 3 almost every day.

Now that I'm 70, yeah, gold and cantina refreshes are the only thing worth doing. I'm keeping top 20 most days, and putting 100 crystals into regular energy and 100 crystals into cantina per day, saving up the rest (about 100 crystals per day) so that when the level cap comes around, I will be able to level a little faster again.
Yeah, I also started in December and did the same thing. Spent money on refreshes at the beginning but stopped after a month and since have been using free crystals on 1 cantina and 2 normal refreshes a day.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Malgrin posted:

I think that pack comes with a bunch of IG-86 Shards though (I think 70) - so he'll be pretty close to 5 off this. IG-88 is a 3* hero, which is 50 shards, so you'll get 25 ~20 shards, plus an additional 30 shards from the pack.

I was completely wrong on the shards thing. The pack showed up in my shop, you get 15 IG-88 shards, plus about 5 from the hero, and then about 20 shards from IG-88's character. You'll also get 4* HK. I was thinking of the Heroine pack where you get enough shards to get all heroes to 4*.

E: Hahah, my new freebie account just beat a super whale: 6* Aayla (jedi team comp, mostly 4-5*. I have 5* GS, 4* Sid, 4* Lumi, 3* QGJ, 2* RG.

Uh...I think Phasma has a new glitch or something. Her first turn was advantage. Second turn was slowdown. Third turn was advantage. W. T. F. Lost me the arena match.

My freebie account server has some serious whales. I think I'm the only person in the top 20 that hasn't dropped at least $40 (almost everyone has droids, Heroines, or P2P heroes). Using one arena refresh, I made it to top 5 with 20 minutes to go. First place is level 63 (I'm level 49 - that's gotta be at least 500 crystals per day on energy refreshes). He's got 5* Poggle, 5* GS, 5* Daka, 5* IG-88, 6* IG-86. Looks like all G7/8. 2nd place has 7* Lumi, 5* QGJ, 5* Yoda, 5* Ben, 5* Ahsoka. 3rd has 7* Leia, 7* QGJ, 7* GS, 6* RG, 5* Lumi. Curious just how much those three have spent so far...

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 18, 2016

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Anyone else randomly get 200 crystals from the devs for a "technical issue"? I noticed it went out on me earlier for a bit but I figured it was me.

200 crystals for a bit of down time seems unusually generous from them.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Jibo posted:

Anyone else randomly get 200 crystals from the devs for a "technical issue"? I noticed it went out on me earlier for a bit but I figured it was me.

It started right as EST was about to collect Arena rewards. It was either that or face endless butthurt pubbies wailing about how they would've done so much better if it hadn't happened.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Jibo posted:

yeah, services were down for a while, and it allowed me to secure a top 20 finish, yisssssssssss!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
The frequency of my attacks getting dodged is like way up across all characters. It's getting a bit retarded.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Goonies and Gentlegoons, presented via youtube for your viewing pleasure... The Song of Chief Chirpa (This is just a video of someone using Chirpa to hilarious effect.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtD2vSrhYII

edit: fixed the link.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 18, 2016

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Chilichimp posted:

Goonies and Gentlegoons, presented via youtube for your viewing pleasure... The Song of Chief Chirpa (This is just a video of someone using Chirpa to hilarious effect.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucn...XQKqZsdzSEhKmAw

I never found where he used Chirpa but holy poo poo that PVP group looks like the easiest one ever. You would barely break top 500 in my group with those top four teams.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Jibo posted:

I never found where he used Chirpa but holy poo poo that PVP group looks like the easiest one ever. You would barely break top 500 in my group with those top four teams.

Oh god damnit.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Chilichimp posted:

Oh god damnit.

Well it was worth it. Chripa looks hella fun and his second special may very well oneshot actual PVP characters.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
Yeah, I'm really tempted to start farming Teebo and Scout. I'm already farming Elder, he's up to 4*. Slowest goddamn character to farm in the game (1 HM until level 8 opens up).

e: oh poo poo, Scout also only has one HM node. Who the hell decided the fuzzy beasts should be impossible to farm?(with the exception of Teebo, of course, and now Chirpa).

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
How the gently caress do we now have 4 Ewoks and NONE of them is Wicket?

loving horrible poo poo.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Speaking of PVP teams, is anyone here running a high ranked Jedi team? I'm basically waiting on Yoda to come back so I can finish mine and I'm curious how viable they are in this world covered in Dookus and Sids. I'm also curious if I should consider running Yoda as the leader rather than QGJ.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Jibo posted:

Speaking of PVP teams, is anyone here running a high ranked Jedi team? I'm basically waiting on Yoda to come back so I can finish mine and I'm curious how viable they are in this world covered in Dookus and Sids. I'm also curious if I should consider running Yoda as the leader rather than QGJ.

Best teams in current meta are probably quigon lead with Yoda, Lumi, GS, dooku

The best F2P all-jedi team you can assemble is going to still be heavily reliant on healing... which they'll never get to do because every team you fight features QGJ and GS, which mean at least one of your dudes is dead before he ever gets to go.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Jibo posted:

I've started running barriss, lum, jc, ahsoka and eeth in GW. Damage isn't great but they can generally outlast which is the important thing. I use my other squads to open if a phasma or poggle is present.

Not sure if pure jedi squads can cut it for regular pvp since high damage toons are dark side.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Chilichimp posted:

I might need to try this once I finish Yoda then. Lumi is fully kitted out for me and Dooku and QGJ are maxed too but currently at 6 stars.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

Yeah, really you just want QGJ leading Lumi, Yoda is optional (but quite good - he's just dumb on defense, t1 tenacity would win every game because he goes before Dooku). GS, Dooku, and Rey are probably the favorite farmable additions. There aren't many P2P heroes that I see in top brackets except for Leia.

From SWGOH Cantina, these are the top 11 heroes for Arena. I don't 100% agree, but it's a pretty good list of heroes worth running.
Geonosian Soldier
Qui-Gon Jinn
Rey
Royal Guard
Darth Sidious
IG-86 Sentinel Droid
Poe Dameron
Poggle the Lesser
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Old Ben)
Princess Leia
Luminara Unduli

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Malgrin posted:

Yeah, really you just want QGJ leading Lumi, Yoda is optional (but quite good - he's just dumb on defense, t1 tenacity would win every game because he goes before Dooku). GS, Dooku, and Rey are probably the favorite farmable additions. There aren't many P2P heroes that I see in top brackets except for Leia.

From SWGOH Cantina, these are the top 11 heroes for Arena. I don't 100% agree, but it's a pretty good list of heroes worth running.
Geonosian Soldier
Qui-Gon Jinn
Rey
Royal Guard
Darth Sidious
IG-86 Sentinel Droid
Poe Dameron
Poggle the Lesser
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Old Ben)
Princess Leia
Luminara Unduli

There's no single complete team on that list.

Poe, Poggle and IG86 are only REALLY viable in the droid comp. I use a mixed comp of toons with him, and I finish in the top 50, and sometimes contest for top 20 if I snipe, but it defends for poo poo.

QGJ, Rey, Lumi, GS, RG would be pretty loving mean, though.

QGJ/GS/RG is the doom trio in the lower levels.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

There's no single complete team on that list.

Poe, Poggle and IG86 are only REALLY viable in the droid comp. I use a mixed comp of toons with him, and I finish in the top 50, and sometimes contest for top 20 if I snipe, but it defends for poo poo.

QGJ, Rey, Lumi, GS, RG would be pretty loving mean, though.

QGJ/GS/RG is the doom trio in the lower levels.

I stopped at Lumi because QGJ, Lumi, RG (or Poe), Rey, GS is a pretty complete team. You could even just run Dooku instead of RG/Poe. You can also sub in 86 without any more droids, or run Dooku, Poggle, 86, GS, QGJ.

I also absolutely think Dooku belongs on that list. I'm actually kinda working on the above list right now...triple assist sounds pretty great. Rey instead of Poggle also works great there, and if you're running Dooku lead, Poggle's ability is less good, although it makes 86 way better.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Mooktastical posted:

I don't have GS and I got the distinct impression he'll get hit with the nerfbat well before I can get him to 6*, but I do have 7* QGJ which I'm going to pull out once I got one more Jedi (maybe buffed Ahsoka, Ben or Yoda) up to speed. Right now this team is pretty decent on defence, which helps but yeah, not exactly top 5 of available team compositions (maybe in the top 10).
Do have Iggy86 all tricked out though. QGJ+Iggy86+Dooku+Lumi+Daka? Or drop Daka for Sid?
Got Poggle up too, so that's also an option for the last spot.

I don't think 5* Rey is going to cut it, but once I get her to 6* I'll slot her in somewhere.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 18, 2016

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Malgrin posted:

I stopped at Lumi because QGJ, Lumi, RG (or Poe), Rey, GS is a pretty complete team. You could even just run Dooku instead of RG/Poe. You can also sub in 86 without any more droids, or run Dooku, Poggle, 86, GS, QGJ.

I also absolutely think Dooku belongs on that list. I'm actually kinda working on the above list right now...triple assist sounds pretty great. Rey instead of Poggle also works great there, and if you're running Dooku lead, Poggle's ability is less good, although it makes 86 way better.

Running IG86 without poggle is pretty bonkers, imo.

But Dooku is on almost every team I fight in the 20's and teens, so I concur.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Pimpmust posted:

I don't have GS and I got the distinct impression he'll get hit with the nerfbat well before I can get him to 6*, but I do have 7* QGJ which I'm going to pull out once I got one more Jedi (maybe buffed Ahsoka, Ben or Yoda) up to speed. Right now this team is pretty decent on defence, which helps but yeah, not exactly top 5 of available team compositions (maybe in the top 10).
Do have Iggy86 all tricked out though. QGJ+Iggy86+Dooku+Lumi+Daka? Or drop Daka for Sid?
Got Poggle up too, so that's also an option for the last spot.

I don't think 5* Rey is going to cut it, but once I get her to 6* I'll slot her in somewhere.

Nah, leave the Daka. If anything drop Lumi for Sid.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

Running IG86 without poggle is pretty bonkers, imo.

But Dooku is on almost every team I fight in the 20's and teens, so I concur.

The thing about this list that makes IG-86 work is that he brings you up to 3 assists, a Dooku, and a Rey. An opponent looking at that team knows they have to answer Rey first, or else she'll kill someone and dodge the first attack that comes her way. Plus, having 3 1/4 chances to get an additional free attack is not something you want to risk. So, while 86 is a little bit slower than you want him to be here, he's probably target number 4 out of 5 in this team, so he will get to attack at least once. I do think he's questionable without Poggle though, and you might just want to bring in RP, FOTP, or a tank.

I also think RG is better than Poe, but I think going all glass cannons/assisters is probably better, or Daka if you have her to 7*. Nothing scares me more than going against a 7* Daka. RNG there has lost me so many arena matches I don't even want to risk it. Even 6* will do.

e: 6/7* Daka is what scares me because in addition to being a necessary first target, she's ridiculously hard to kill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Malgrin posted:

The thing about this list that makes IG-86 work is that he brings you up to 3 assists, a Dooku, and a Rey. An opponent looking at that team knows they have to answer Rey first, or else she'll kill someone and dodge the first attack that comes her way. Plus, having 3 1/4 chances to get an additional free attack is not something you want to risk. So, while 86 is a little bit slower than you want him to be here, he's probably target number 4 out of 5 in this team, so he will get to attack at least once. I do think he's questionable without Poggle though, and you might just want to bring in RP, FOTP, or a tank.

I also think RG is better than Poe, but I think going all glass cannons/assisters is probably better, or Daka if you have her to 7*. Nothing scares me more than going against a 7* Daka. RNG there has lost me so many arena matches I don't even want to risk it. Even 6* will do.

e: 6/7* Daka is what scares me because in addition to being a necessary first target, she's ridiculously hard to kill

RG is scary good.

He's the #1 priority target, unless you know how to stagger the damage on a character into a 2 hit kill, with the 2nd hit encompassing more than 50% of the targets life.

edit:

Or you've got a QGJ to break the taunt

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 18, 2016

• Locked thread