Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Seraphim Turn 1: Miss Building
Seraphim Turn 2: No Damage
Seraphim Turn 3: 8 Damage, kills an entire base of infantry.

:psyduck:

How do you guys use Wolverines? Mine were a bit useless today, they did some light damage to a dropship but I tried to use them as a roving picket for hunting down light dropships but they didn't seem very good at that either. Was the AA ones for reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Don't worry. When Seraphim hit, they hit. But that unreliability in damage is why they don't often appear on tournament lists.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Loxbourne posted:

Don't worry. When Seraphim hit, they hit. But that unreliability in damage is why they don't often appear on tournament lists.

The Scourge fast mover seemed similarly unreliable to me.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

Seraphim Turn 1: Miss Building
Seraphim Turn 2: No Damage
Seraphim Turn 3: 8 Damage, kills an entire base of infantry.

:psyduck:

How do you guys use Wolverines? Mine were a bit useless today, they did some light damage to a dropship but I tried to use them as a roving picket for hunting down light dropships but they didn't seem very good at that either. Was the AA ones for reference.

Do you have a Kodiak or other indirect fire units? They're pretty good for spotting, contesting objectives late in the game, and shooting light dropships.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Arcturas posted:

Do you have a Kodiak or other indirect fire units? They're pretty good for spotting, contesting objectives late in the game, and shooting light dropships.
I was running 2x Longbows and 1x Kodiak too. They can target light dropships?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

I was running 2x Longbows and 1x Kodiak too. They can target light dropships?

No, no, I meant that the Wolverines shoot the light dropships while the Kodiak and Longbows use the Wolverines as spotters for indirect fire at other stuff.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Arcturas posted:

No, no, I meant that the Wolverines shoot the light dropships while the Kodiak and Longbows use the Wolverines as spotters for indirect fire at other stuff.
Oh my bad, yeah this is what I was doing. Though my Longbows continuously kept rolling 1s all game, so I didn't really get to see what they were capable of and kind of forgot they had smart smoke to utilize that.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

NTRabbit posted:

I'm filling out the Dropfleet PM right now - does anyone know the likelihood of bolt ons like the resin ground assets and posters appearing in the Hawk store later on? I assume the space station will, since they say it's plastic.

Unless the KS page marks it as a KS exclusive then it should come to retail.

Hawk aren't really into the limited edition thing other than one show only model per year and the extra shiny Dropzone commander rulebook.

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Mar 18, 2016

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
In an effort to jump start a Dropzone Commander community around here I am running a demo day this coming Sunday at a nearby LGS. Anyone have a recommendation of 500pt lists for Scourge/PHR/Resistance and specific scenarios that would be good for this? I have some ideas but having not run such a thing before I don't know if some of you have experience with what does and doesn't work for this kind of thing.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

nesbit37 posted:

In an effort to jump start a Dropzone Commander community around here I am running a demo day this coming Sunday at a nearby LGS. Anyone have a recommendation of 500pt lists for Scourge/PHR/Resistance and specific scenarios that would be good for this? I have some ideas but having not run such a thing before I don't know if some of you have experience with what does and doesn't work for this kind of thing.

My group has been doing starter box armies plus a commander (rank 1 or 2) with cards. It worked well and the addition of the commander mixes up the game enough to be interesting and fun.

My iphone cable is broken, was waiting to replace it today to download photos of beta weekend.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Okay, beta day pictures! This took longer than expected and imgur hosed up all of the editing I had done previously, so I'm having to double-edit 90% of the photos so they're aligned properly. (you sure did it, reddit)

I took a ton of pictures of the studio models, partly because I wanted the close-up views for my own painting later on, and partly because I was so caught up in playing the games that I did a really bad job of turn-by-turn photographing the gameboard. Sorry.

The studio model suite was on hand for the demo day, as well as the Reconquest: Phase 1 v.1.1 update, which according to Hawk Dave, will be releasing "imminently."

This book incorporates errata (specifically things like the Thunderstorm Custom being priced up to 205pts base, and UCM Praetorian Snipers gaining the Infiltrate (18) rule. Otherwise, if you have the v1.0 book, you don't need to pick this one up (unless you like giving Hawk Wargames money, and/or want a newer, shinier cover book.)

Obviously 3d printed large flight stand. This was for testing purposes for them.

Here's the small flight stand.

Now on to the ships!

This is the special shuttle for the kickstarter supporters.

Fighters, bombers and torpedos

Sector tokens representing Cities, Industrial and Military configurations

I was messaging a very jealous and slightly buttmad friend who plays UCM, so naturally I took more pictures of the UCM stuff than any other faction. I also play Resistance, so it's not like I really have a dog in the faction fight. I'll probably wind up playing Beavis spaceships or space mogwai anyways.

The Seattle class carrier/cruiser includes detail-modeled fighters and bombers inside of it's carrier bays :getin:

Speaking of Space Mogwai, these are the most gorgeous painted models I've seen. Up close, the technique is really apparent, but the effect is stellar.

Scourge were fun as hell to play, though I worry that they're going to be on the weaker-end of the power spectrum due to their skald rule that requires them to be inside of scan range to really get their damage bonuses.

And finally, Space Beavis, the Spaceship faction
- huehuehue

These were the tables/playmats we played on, as they were set up for the demo games.

This would be what the end of turn 1, start of turn 2 would look like.

Game 1 ended with LordAba (UCM) winning against my Scourge, but there were only 3 ships left on the table for him. It was a very close game and if I hadn't had a very unfortunate series of rube-goldberg ship explosions taking out an entire battlegroup in turn 3, we agreed the game could have swung either way.

The critical effect chart in this game is brutal.

Game 2 ended with my UCM beating LordAba's scourge due to wildly spiky dice going all the way in my favor all game long. I had one ship remaining (with 2 hp) at the end of the game, and depending on how scoring goes (which we were fuzzy on) he may have actually won on VPs. Either way, it was another really fun game that had the Critical chart almost doing more damage than either of us.

Look upon these models and despair, for you can not have them.

koreban fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 18, 2016

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Jealous you got to touch the studio models! I have spent a couple of slow days at work making ship cards that will fit in standard large Fantasy Flight sleeves, so I don't have to refer to the book, also remade my markers and ship tokens and made sheets of clusters as well as battlegroup activation cards from the Kickstarter art. I'll post pictures when I get my laptop back.

Also I just today got a custom space mat with a red nebula picture that's 4x4 with 3x3 markings so it's suitable for X-wing. Can't wait to use that one!

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

krushgroove posted:

Jealous you got to touch the studio models! I have spent a couple of slow days at work making ship cards that will fit in standard large Fantasy Flight sleeves, so I don't have to refer to the book, also remade my markers and ship tokens and made sheets of clusters as well as battlegroup activation cards from the Kickstarter art. I'll post pictures when I get my laptop back.

Also I just today got a custom space mat with a red nebula picture that's 4x4 with 3x3 markings so it's suitable for X-wing. Can't wait to use that one!

You should dropbox those cards and tokens. I'd love to use those in our test/narrative games that we're currently running.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

koreban posted:

UCM Praetorian Snipers gaining the Infiltrate (18) rule.

Do tell. I assume they can deploy 18" in? Are there any other shenanigans you're allowed to spill?

And thanks for all the ship pics, i always think "normal" pictures bring across better than the super professional studio just what nice miniatures they are.

Can't wait to get my hands on them and stuff as many magnets as possible into them.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bistromatic posted:

Do tell. I assume they can deploy 18" in? Are there any other shenanigans you're allowed to spill?

And thanks for all the ship pics, i always think "normal" pictures bring across better than the super professional studio just what nice miniatures they are.

Can't wait to get my hands on them and stuff as many magnets as possible into them.

The infiltrate rules allows them to direct deploy within 18" of their player's board edge, including within buildings. They are not allowed to search for objectives or intel the first turn, and iirc, they can't take a wall facing by default, but it saves you a turn or two of running them in with a raven dropship and gives you their sniper rifle's range of coverage early on.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Thanks! Are they allowed to bring a transport too or do they have to walk if they want to go anywhere else? Can't even play a Call For Extraction on them if they didn't have a transport originally.

Also it would be neat to put a landed Raven on the roof and throw a tiny camo net over it :v:

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
That I don't know. Would be a great question for the hawk rules thread though.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
New Dropfleet Kickstarter update, some new pictures of Shaltari ships that I'm going to take forever to paint: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hawkwargames/dropfleet-commander/posts/1522962?ref=backer_project_update

Also I've been chatting a lot with this guy on the Dropzone Commander Community who went to the Portland beta as well, he did a video showing a bunch of the models and turn-by-turn gameplay (the Hawk guys didn't want him to show the gameplay as it happened since everything is still in beta):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX2SF9GaPCU

koreban posted:

You should dropbox those cards and tokens. I'd love to use those in our test/narrative games that we're currently running.

Here's what I've made so far
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kmc06v7gx43z74n/AAAy9yjW5tiDVh9OpD00anzWa?dl=0

These are the ship cards I've made, I just don't have the files handy but I've done UCM and PHR will be next (because that's what my buddy plays):

And these are the clusters:

Pics of my game on Tuesday, when I took my first ever win against this particular player in any head-to-head game...

Bagged markers and ship tokens in the same starter fleet set:

(also pizza mothership)

This is turn 2 I think, moving forward as slowly as possible, at this stage for us the game is like a slow-motion chess match:

This is turn 4 or 5, I was able to take out the PHR strike carrier on the left flank while the right flank got pretty messy. The smaller fight on the left ended up winning me the game at the end by a single point because I was able to rush my strike carrier towards the far left cluster to win me tonnage points:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Could you give us more details on that massive mothership?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ Pizza the Hut!

Bistromatic posted:

Thanks! Are they allowed to bring a transport too or do they have to walk if they want to go anywhere else? Can't even play a Call For Extraction on them if they didn't have a transport originally.

Also it would be neat to put a landed Raven on the roof and throw a tiny camo net over it :v:

I believe they mentioned they can take a transport, but it doesn't infiltrate on with them. Not 100% sure on that though!

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I really hope that's a typo on the Toulon's turret stats...

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Hmm, yeah it is! All the light mass driver turrets have the same stats, you don't get 6 dice for those on the Toulon :)

BULBASAUR posted:

Could you give us more details on that massive mothership?

Frozen pizza, it was tasty (I use a pizza stone always) but didn't really care much for the sauce-stuffed crust. I would prefer a garlic ranch filling if something has to be stuffed in there.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Having trouble with the pledge manager. It says I have to go back to step 1 of my e-mail? Does that mean I have to re-add the pledge all over again just to add the civilian cruiser I forgot?

Maybe the manager is closed since they're on UK time?

Prefect Six fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 22, 2016

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Pretty sure it's closed now but it sounds like there was some confusion or mix-up with the emails and people couldn't find where to add to their order... I was going to place my own late backer order, but it looked like you had to spend £60 to get the starter set when I'm already getting one off my Admiral friend, so he added onto his pledge for the extras that I wanted.

I think I'm getting 3 UCM, 2 Shaltari and 1 Scourge starter fleets, all the KS exclusive models, both 2-up models, Shaltari & UCM shirts, dice and pins, we're splitting the maps and I'm getting a space station with Scourge add-ons, acrylic ground tokens, launch assets and resin cluster markers. Plus my friend is getting one of everything on top of that. Should be a pretty big box!

e: I've just updated the Dropbox link above to have PHR ship cards, working on Scourge ship cards right now. I'll try to pretty them up after I get all the data in, they're a bit plain right now!

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 22, 2016

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Your Toulon is still messed up I think. Either it needs 3 light mass driver turrets or it should have 3 attacks on its weapon system. I have no idea which it is as I don't actually have the rules myself... I just know it should have more firepower than a New Orleans.

Edit: Also should the Avalon's burn through laser be the exact same stats as all the other UCM burnthroughs? I thought it was supposed to be stronger, basically 2 burnthroughs in one or something.

And I assume the Ganymede is supposed to be 150 points not 50 for a bulk lander with lots of guns?

Pash fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 22, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

The two scourge card files seem to be identical.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Thanks Pash, fixed all those. The Scourge files are identical because I'm editing the 2nd Scourge sheet while it's in Dropbox.

e: Scourge are done, will work on Shaltari next

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 22, 2016

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Looking at the UCM card, should the Atlantis Class have launch capacity or is that only for the Atlantis, the namesake ship of the class or whatever you'd call it?

Edit: I guess that's indeed the case since the Avalon Class has the same rear turrets and other cruiser but the exclusive Avalon has double turrets there.

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 22, 2016

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Nope, you're right, the Atlantis has fighters & bombers, so it should have that stat and should have the Launch special rule. The New York has fighters and bombers and torpedoes but doesn't have the Launch special rule listed :downs: so that's fixed. I'm just going through and prettying things up a tiny bit, basically just aligning the text right now.

If any of you have access to the Admiral pack feel free to proofread the numbers and stuff, it call kind of became a blur at the end. I know it's much easy for me to copy edit stuff other people have done.

Shaltari cards are done now as well. I'm pondering whether to add info about the various special rules like Flash, Bloom (I get those mixed up), Scald, Corruptor, Crippling, etc. Most of the cards have space so it's pretty easy to get the info on there.

I've also remade the activation cards so they fit in FFG card sleeves, so you can write on them with dry erase or water-based (overhead projector) markers. Or just print a shitload and use pen!

e: aaaand they just sent out errata 1.2 plus rules for corvettes and proposed rule changes that change several ship stats...where's that 'ugh' emoticon?

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 22, 2016

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Haha, work never ends! Its cool that you are doing this though, thanks!

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Since i'm not an admiral i can only partially figure out the cards but they're still really interesting.

Possible card errata from what i can figure out:
New Orleans should be a Strike Carrier not a Strike Cruiser unless something weird is going on with the classification.
If the Atlantis was indeed missing its hangars, how about the Avalon? I'd expect it's mass drivers to have Attk 4 since the model has double turrets there.
The Seattle and the Avalon are the only ones that deviate from the standard 8" thrust of the medium/heavy cruisers though i have no idea if that's intentional.

How has the beta test been so far? How responsive is hawk? What's your impression of the development process? And how are the other admirals?

It's also very tempting to ask about corvettes but i know you shouldn't spill too much stuff :v:

Also i sprayed two of my aftermarket spoilers in basic camo pattern so i could attach them to my two half painted raven before i continue. I'm really pleased with how well they fit in and my longbows will be riding in style on thursday.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bistromatic posted:

How has the beta test been so far? How responsive is hawk? What's your impression of the development process? And how are the other admirals?

Hawk was super responsive in my experience during the US demo day. I've emailed Simon directly and he's replied with a "thanks for the feedback!", though I didn't expect much more than that.

That said, when I spoke to him about the critical chart and list of orders, he was really receptive to my suggestions and the reasons for them.

quote:

It's also very tempting to ask about corvettes but i know you shouldn't spill too much stuff :v:

They brought them up during the US demo day, but said that they might end up in the expansion.

quote:

Also i sprayed two of my aftermarket spoilers in basic camo pattern so i could attach them to my two half painted raven before i continue. I'm really pleased with how well they fit in and my longbows will be riding in style on thursday.

Baller. As. Hell. Those are amazing looking and I'm super jealous even though I play trash can tank faction and can't justify cool designs like that.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

krushgroove posted:

Nope, you're right, the Atlantis has fighters & bombers, so it should have that stat and should have the Launch special rule. The New York has fighters and bombers and torpedoes but doesn't have the Launch special rule listed :downs: so that's fixed. I'm just going through and prettying things up a tiny bit, basically just aligning the text right now.

If any of you have access to the Admiral pack feel free to proofread the numbers and stuff, it call kind of became a blur at the end. I know it's much easy for me to copy edit stuff other people have done.

Shaltari cards are done now as well. I'm pondering whether to add info about the various special rules like Flash, Bloom (I get those mixed up), Scald, Corruptor, Crippling, etc. Most of the cards have space so it's pretty easy to get the info on there.

I've also remade the activation cards so they fit in FFG card sleeves, so you can write on them with dry erase or water-based (overhead projector) markers. Or just print a shitload and use pen!

e: aaaand they just sent out errata 1.2 plus rules for corvettes and proposed rule changes that change several ship stats...where's that 'ugh' emoticon?

Was just checking out PHR and noticed the Scipio Class Battlecruiser has the Launch rule but does not actually list what launch assets it has.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Can anyone here do a quick explanation of countermeasures? I did a demo day of DZC this past Sunday at one my LFGS and it went great but I know I did something wrong with the countermeasures. The PHR forces were getting their asses kicked way to easily and I don't think I was handling them right at all. Played starter armies for PHR/Scourge/Resistance with the basic lightning raid scenario just to get people started.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Looking through the cards, does it seem weird to anyone else that the Hydra Fleet Carrier and Dragon Battleship have the same hull point values? The Dragon just seems incredibly flimsy for a battleship.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

wdarkk posted:

Looking through the cards, does it seem weird to anyone else that the Hydra Fleet Carrier and Dragon Battleship have the same hull point values? The Dragon just seems incredibly flimsy for a battleship.

I'm guessing thats a typo, probably has 18 hull points like the other battleship.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

nesbit37 posted:

Can anyone here do a quick explanation of countermeasures? I did a demo day of DZC this past Sunday at one my LFGS and it went great but I know I did something wrong with the countermeasures. The PHR forces were getting their asses kicked way to easily and I don't think I was handling them right at all. Played starter armies for PHR/Scourge/Resistance with the basic lightning raid scenario just to get people started.
With the armies you were playing, you were only encountering active countermeasures. These act to reduce the range of most weapons and nothing else. Most units have them and they are noted in the CM space with an A. All weapons have R(F) and R(C) values. The R(F) value is their full range while firing at targets without active countermeasures, such as buildings or infantry. R(C) is their range when firing at targets with active countermeasures. For example, a railgun has a R(F) of infinity and can hit a building anywhere on the board as long as it's in line of sight. The same railgun has a R(C) of 24" so can only target an enemy vehicle at a maximum of that range. Any shots beyond that distance are supposedly intercepted or countered in some way. There are also passive countermeasures (signified by a P and a number) which are treated like armor/invulnerable save rolls. Unless you were playing with the Shaltari, they wouldn't have shown up in the starter armies though the PHR have some in a limited capacity. This is probably a bunch of words to explain a relatively simple system, but whatever.

My experience with the starter armies mirrors your own. I typically use PHR against someone trying out Scourge or UCM and I think I've won one demo game. The PHR are super slow and the starter army gives them nothing to mitigate that. Their strengths just don't come out at that small a scale or maybe it's just the unit composition. For example, you'd probably never take the Juno IFVs for your infantry, instead taking light dropships. All of the other factions outnumber them and while the PHR's walkers are durable, they can also be one-shot by the Scourge's plasma weapons or even the UCM's E10 railguns. Their lack of speed is definitely the biggest issue at that scale though.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Ah ok, we were doing them right then. Yeah, what you said about the starters makes sense. can't wait to scale up some more from these 500pt games. Thanks for the run through on countermeasures.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
1) Nominate a target.

2) Does your target have Active Countermeasures?
If yes: Check if your target is within your R(C) range. (Applies to most vehicles and aircraft)
If no: Check if your target is within your R(F) range. (Applies to buildings, most infantry and Resistance improvised stuff)

3) If your target is not in range, nominate a different one. If your target is in range, roll to hit.

4) Assuming you hit, check if your target has Passive Countermeasures.
If it does, the controlling player makes a saving throw. If he passes the saving throw the attack is over and you do no damage.

5) If your target has no Passive Countermeasures or failed its saving throw, roll for damage.

Also this reminds me that i'd really thankful if any admirals could tell Hawk to keep rules and fluff strictly separate. It's one of the things that really bothers me in the DZC books. Don't put fluff and rules in the same paragraph, let alone the same sentence. If you feel compelled to give a fluff reasoning for your rules do so in a little sidebar or a separate italicized paragraph, don't sprinkle it throughout. If you mix the two it just leads to arguments from verisimilitude and Rules As intended debates as well as making everything less clear.

edit: shamefully beaten. also thanks koreban.

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
My biggest issue with the PHR starter was that the quickstart rules sheet doesnt mention the part where if you roll 2 higher than you need for damage, it does double damage.

So, if you need a 3+ and roll a 5 or 6, it does two points.

The second part was that the quick start sheet doesnt mention that the To-Hit roll of an Ares can never be worse than 3+.