Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

yes yes yes yes!!!

the BEST of windows is coming to the best video game console evvvver!!

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/16/11248728/xbox-one-windows-10-apps

i wish I could GLOMP satyta nadella right now!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Can't wait to open xbox store and search for Super Meat Boy and see dozens of poo poo spam apps, hint guides, etc. obscuring the actual game.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
finally the touchscreen apps that sucks on your non-touch desktop can suck on your non-touch console

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Touch screen desktop apps are the dumbest loving thing and reek of a fifty year old VP saying that kids love tablets so be more tablety.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Citizen Tayne posted:

Touch screen desktop apps are the dumbest loving thing and reek of a fifty year old VP saying that kids love tablets so be more tablety.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

wow, yeah, all those win10 apps gonna just flood the xbone

yep

*tumbleweed*

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i look forward to another way to rate the calculator on the app store

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Citizen Tayne posted:

"the xbox one needs to pop"

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

computer parts posted:

no, because internet recovery on os x is basically it downloading a recovery partition for your model of computer and then running that

in order to get that to work on windows you'd need:

- Firmware level support of this feature (also true in OS X since some models don't support it)

- either a standardized recovery partition or a list of specialized partitions for each model, or both as in an HP recovery partition, a Dell recovery partition, etc (good luck with that)

- the ability to care enough to host all of this and the bandwidth costs

just require oems to include some firmware level torrent client to distribute the windows images preboot.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

THC posted:

someone gave me an old win7 laptop to fix and it was all hosed up with viruses & I didn't want to wait 10 years for windows 7 updates after wiping it so I installed 1511 and used the OEM key from the bottom of the laptop and it worked great no probs thanks satya

Windows just works.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

shaggar logged into the wrong account?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

or is my sarcasm detector giving a false positive

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Citizen Tayne posted:

On paper, mandating that Windows store/ modern/metro apps be mobile compatible made some sense. The problem is that during Windows 8 they tried to shepherd developers into developing fullscreen-only touch compatible desktop apps using some vague pseudo-artistic justification for "immersive apps" instead of just loving saying "tablet-compatible".

There were a couple years in which one of the requirements for Windows store submission was that the programs couldn't have a visible exit button. This requirement was eventually removed because lo and behold no consumer could figure out how to close metro apps. But at some point someone at Microsoft said "Hold on, that exit button on the calculator app is gonna create some problems" and they had to spend the next three years pretending that their mobile-compatibility requirements were actually just a magical innovation of the new desktop experience. There was a section of the Windows 10 unveil in which an MS dev could barely contain his laughter upon explaining that Windows store apps could now be run in windows

Apr 7, 2003

je1 healthcare posted:

On paper, mandating that Windows store/ modern/metro apps be mobile compatible made some sense. The problem is that during Windows 8 they tried to shepherd developers into developing fullscreen-only touch compatible desktop apps using some vague pseudo-artistic justification for "immersive apps" instead of just loving saying "tablet-compatible".

There were a couple years in which one of the requirements for Windows store submission was that the programs couldn't have a visible exit button. This requirement was eventually removed because lo and behold no consumer could figure out how to close metro apps. But at some point someone at Microsoft said "Hold on, that exit button on the calculator app is gonna create some problems" and they had to spend the next three years pretending that their mobile-compatibility requirements were actually just a magical innovation of the new desktop experience. There was a section of the Windows 10 unveil in which an MS dev could barely contain his laughter upon explaining that Windows store apps could now be run in windows

I didn't read any of this poo poo. lol

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Microsoft will suffer the same death as Sega. after enticing developers into developing for their platforms that fail time and time again, there will be no one left who hasn't been burned by spending time and money for no reward.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

je1 healthcare posted:

the only thing i remember from that unveil is ctrl+c/ctrl+v works in cmd.exe

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

anthonypants posted:

the only thing i remember from that unveil is ctrl+c/ctrl+v works in cmd.exe

and yet it doesn't. they seemed to have cancelled that.

still works fine on Mac OS because Mac OS isn't just a sloppy trace job of another OS that gets all the details wrong like Windows is.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Citizen Tayne posted:

I didn't read any of this poo poo. lol

You really didn't miss anything.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

PleasureKevin posted:

and yet it doesn't. they seemed to have cancelled that.

still works fine on Mac OS because Mac OS isn't just a sloppy trace job of another OS that gets all the details wrong like Windows is.

what? yes it does

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

it doesn't work for me and I had to make a command line app for Windows 10 so I know

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

iirc it doesn't work if you have the display dpi set to anything other than 100% which is unfortunate because most laptops with high res screens have it set to at least 125%

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Mercurius posted:

iirc it doesn't work if you have the display dpi set to anything other than 100% which is unfortunate because most laptops with high res screens have it set to at least 125%

that is just so.. microsoft

pram
Jun 10, 2001
my god. how is this os.. such a pos..

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Mercurius posted:

lmao what, are they OCRing the terminal window or something insane like that?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Mercurius posted:

how in the HELL do they break ctrl-c / ctrl-v when scaling up

like seriously, everyone who owns that tool should be fired today

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Mercurius posted:

:wow:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Mercurius posted:

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Mercurius posted:

im doing the 150% and it works fine

Apr 7, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

how in the HELL do they break ctrl-c / ctrl-v when scaling up

like seriously, everyone who owns that tool should be fired today

You have always been able to cut and paste in a cmd.com window, you just had to right click with the mouse. I had always assumed that the control key shortcut never worked so you weren't intercepting keystrokes meaningful to the application in the window, since ^C has killed DOS command line applications since forever.

Apr 7, 2003

Fuckin laffo that this thread full of computer "professionals" don't know that

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

yeah ms is super dumb for using ctrl-c for multiple things

Apr 7, 2003

I'll bet you dollars to donuts that ^C/^V works for cut and paste in a cmd window when the process being executed isn't sensitive to it and vice versa, and y'all is just dumb.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Citizen Tayne posted:

You have always been able to cut and paste in a cmd.com window, you just had to right click with the mouse. I had always assumed that the control key shortcut never worked so you weren't intercepting keystrokes meaningful to the application in the window, since ^C has killed DOS command line applications since forever.

youve never used a command line have you

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
thats the only way I can imagine someone being so wrong

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Citizen Tayne posted:

I'll bet you dollars to donuts that ^C/^V works for cut and paste in a cmd window when the process being executed isn't sensitive to it and vice versa, and y'all is just dumb.
it's more likely that selecting text brings you into quickedit mode or whatever cmd calls it, and then a ctrl+c runs the copy command instead of sending the control character to whatever program may be running

Apr 7, 2003

A Pinball Wizard posted:

youve never used a command line have you

I first used MS DOS in 1985, 2.11.

Cut and paste have ALWAYS worked in a cmd.com window. You selected the text in question and right-clicked.

In versions of Windows prior to Windows 10, right clicking got you a context window to cut or paste.

I just opened a Windows 10 command window and the right click to paste doesn't work anymore ; it copies automatically.

If you never thought copying or pasting were possible until now in a cmd window, you are stupid as gently caress.

Apr 7, 2003

You, ie, the guy I'm replying to, are obviously stupid as gently caress independent of what thought about how cut and paste worked in cmd windows.

Apr 7, 2003

In versions of windows prior to 10, control C would kill the active task, run 'dir /p' and hit control c when the program was holding at a page.

Apr 7, 2003

Here's an example of me killing an active process in a windows 10 cmd window by using control c:

Moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Here's another example of me killing an active process in a cmd window with control c:

You are so loving stupid it hurts.

• Locked thread