Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
I get wrecked early game with odin no matter if i start tanky or damage and then when I ult they focus on me instead of trying to escape. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Hello all, looking for a Guild invite and to smash pubbie heads in. In-Game name is GhostOfStarman. Thanks!

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

beaner69 posted:

I get wrecked early game with odin no matter if i start tanky or damage and then when I ult they focus on me instead of trying to escape. :(

Timing is very important with Odin. Try to make sure a few abilities are down before you go in, and be aware of who can kill you once you initiate. Also make sure when the game starts you have a clear idea of who you want to jump on, and build defenses to help counter that person so they don't poo poo on you while you're ulting with them. Also communicate what you're doing, yell out a few VAA;s before you go goomba stomp if you aren't in comms. I have quite a few Odin videos on my channel now, and I think I have a different build in each one because of who I'm prioritizing. I may make a video where I go into more detail about my build and targets. Your best bet in general though is usually going to be mages and hunters that don't have leaps. Don't be afraid to change how you approach fights as well, if you've been bird bombing your way in for most of the game, pick up Blink and surprise them with that and bomb them while they're inside.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
^ Post your youtube, it seems that even if they have a leap they still focus me, I can only do well with him in arena. I will jump in then ult and then shield but maybe I'm not tanky enough.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UC2ujWVLD5kWzNSUf-Y2VWkA

I have Joust and Arena games as Odin. I've recently started streaming and doing youtube things, hopefully it all goes well!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Ugh! Hate it when assassin's don't pull their own weight and bitch about others.

This is freaking arena and all you did was kill secure? Whoo hoo I guess? I know I'm just going to vent a bit. The Arachne loving AFK'd when we were ahead! Like come on dude get your head out of your rear end. Anytime someone died it was VER And F6! While we were 40+ tickets ahead!!!

Zain fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Mar 17, 2016

f1av0r
Jan 13, 2008
I've only been playing since the ps4 beta, but basically assassin pubs are generally the worst and most likely to afk quit at level 5.

And specifically my data set suggests Loki and Thanatos players.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

beaner69 posted:

Grab Jotunn's and explode their squishy backline, or rush Urchin if they have a strong early game, then pick up Jotunn's.

Just don't be too predictable with the bird bomb (don't prep it when the front lines are "dancing"). Be patient and bomb\ult when the opportunity presents itself (mid fight when escapes are blown). A good target is Neith because she'll typically be aggressive and backflip as soon as she takes damage - that's your cue to bird bomb and ult.

Also, greetings from Vietnam, goons! Miss you guys!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

f1av0r posted:

I've only been playing since the ps4 beta, but basically assassin pubs are generally the worst and most likely to afk quit at level 5.

And specifically my data set suggests Loki and Thanatos players.

I generally play Arena cause well I don't have time for conquest in most instances, and really they're faster and it helps me in teamfight situations. But like god I don't understand these little whiners. Anytime ANYTHING happens they freak the gently caress out.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
Hopefully the xbox-ps4 crossplay means we can play smite together.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Just want to point out. GOD drat IT! I hate Skadi so loving much. At least in Arena she's all sorts of bitch. I can only imagine it's more compound in Conquest.

coca bojangles
Nov 2, 2011

Superhuman hindsight

beaner69 posted:

I think this means your timing is off. Be more patient and observe the battlefield for the right opportunities.

If there isn't an ongoing fight and people aren't casting abilities, and you jump in and cage, of course you are going to get focused down... you just jumped into a team that has all their abilities up.

I think this is why a lot of people struggle with assassin-type characters, they expect to just jump in and do a lot of damage. You need to assess the battlefield and jump in when people are most vulnerable.

Examples: Jump/Dash down, Wave clear down, Poke ability down, etc. Observation is key in deciding when to fight on certain gods.

If Athena just taunted your Hunter into a Kraken or whatever, You're OK to go in and do your thing since 2 immediate threats are gone.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Skadi is beyond broken and she's going to get the Sol treatment, stripping out half the effects from her kit.

coca bojangles
Nov 2, 2011

Superhuman hindsight

cyclonic posted:

Also, greetings from Vietnam, goons! Miss you guys!

awwwwww

coca bojangles
Nov 2, 2011

Superhuman hindsight

Brannock posted:

Skadi is beyond broken and she's going to get the Sol treatment, stripping out half the effects from her kit.

I don't know how they intend to balance Skadi, but Kaldr being able to tank 11+ tower shots/gold fury hits is pretty loving broken.

Sol needed a nerf, and still needs another btw.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Okay I made the Odin Arena Video where I try to go into detail about how I'm building and fighting and why.

The Ezell
May 11, 2003
I play football. No, not that football. The other kind.
This game can be so very frustrating, even when it's all happened before...

Zain posted:

Just want to point out. GOD drat IT! I hate Skadi so loving much. At least in Arena she's all sorts of bitch. I can only imagine it's more compound in Conquest.

Yeah, she actually breaks objective-based modes. She can tank and solo towers/gold fury/whatever the gently caress she wants at level 5.

nazutul
Jul 12, 2006
Lemme tell you something, boy

The Ezell posted:

This game can be so very frustrating, even when it's all happened before...

Yeah, she actually breaks objective-based modes. She can tank and solo towers/gold fury/whatever the gently caress she wants at level 5.

The Prophecy. Starring Ezell

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm curious, how does beyond broken Gods like Skadi even get released in that state? Do they just release them like that then tune them according to community feedback and data?

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!

Jimbot posted:

I'm curious, how does beyond broken Gods like Skadi even get released in that state? Do they just release them like that then tune them according to community feedback and data?

i think because they ban them from ranked until their first patch they think that's good enough to just wreck the normal queue players for a month.

that being said i played as skadi earlier and had the pet 100 to 0 a squishy backline mage while i focused someone else, so abuse her while you can.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's so they'll get more purchases of that god if people think they're broken and then later on they get nerfed after the initial purchase rush

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Also they dislike the situation such as what happened with Ravana where he was total garbage at release, and even when he got buffed to OP status I didn't see him played much because not everyone follows patch notes. It wasn't until the SPL qualifiers started happening that the casual audience tuned in and started playing him more. Awilix is still in a similar boat with a lot of people who just assume she's still trash or never got over the initial impression from her release, which ironically has made her one of my most effective pubstomp junglers due to no one really knowing how to counter he at the casual level.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Poseidon whirlpool suction on Skadi ice fart means you get stuck in bouncing until one fades, luckily the team I played against in assault had no idea and didn't use the combo more than once accidentally.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's funny how people who play rank and think they're pros, just follow the builds in the tourneys. It's like how pro can you really be if all you do is follow?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Nucular Carmul posted:

Also they dislike the situation such as what happened with Ravana where he was total garbage at release, and even when he got buffed to OP status I didn't see him played much because not everyone follows patch notes. It wasn't until the SPL qualifiers started happening that the casual audience tuned in and started playing him more. Awilix is still in a similar boat with a lot of people who just assume she's still trash or never got over the initial impression from her release, which ironically has made her one of my most effective pubstomp junglers due to no one really knowing how to counter he at the casual level.

Awilix is borderline broken. She's got a fantastic escape that can jump through walls (at the cost of it taking a second to proc). Her flip completely stops someone in place for a second which is enough for them to die and does insane amounts of damage early on. Her three also stops escapes. If she's playing against Neith/Odin/Xian Tian/any god with a jump she can completely dick them over with their ult, its hilarious. Neith especially, purely because you bait her into jumping and then ruin her.

Anyone not playing Awilix due to how she was when they released her should revisit her, its fun as hell.

Zain posted:

It's funny how people who play rank and think they're pros, just follow the builds in the tourneys. It's like how pro can you really be if all you do is follow?

Oh man, don't get me started. I've caught so much poo poo from players because i'm "not building properly" and its always by people who go 2/2. I went 6/3 (still a loss, playing an assassin with a team that wouldn't help my ganks) and the dude was trying to take the piss out of my attack speed/crit build.

At least i'm experimenting, you boring fucks! :argh:

dogstile fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 18, 2016

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Went 8/3 as Ne Zha last night against a team of 5 hunters. Got called a tryhard in lobby because I built Shield of Regrowth -> Boots -> Deathbringer -> Nemean -> Titan's -> Stone Cutting Sword. Sorry I countered your gimmick poo poo comp, dudes.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Shab posted:

Went 8/3 as Ne Zha last night against a team of 5 hunters. Got called a tryhard in lobby because I built Shield of Regrowth -> Boots -> Deathbringer -> Nemean -> Titan's -> Stone Cutting Sword. Sorry I countered your gimmick poo poo comp, dudes.

Regardless of their comp or your build you should be shamed for picking Ne Zha. :colbert:

I hate that fucker so much right now.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
You're coming with me!!!!!!

I kind of miss old Ravana. Doing well as a garbage god was the most fun I've ever had in this game. Now I have to play Ratatoskr if I want the same thing

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Farecoal posted:

You're coming with me!!!!!!

I kind of miss old Ravana. Doing well as a garbage god was the most fun I've ever had in this game. Now I have to play Ratatoskr if I want the same thing

I've found Rat to be one of the better assassins in assault, but maybe that's just because I really like how he plays. Does he have a lot of issues in Conquest and other modes?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Regardless of their comp or your build you should be shamed for picking Ne Zha. :colbert:

I hate that fucker so much right now.

My Lil' Pachinko Boi :allears:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

is sylvanus okay right now. their skills look fun and i've been wanting another guardian to play as.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The rat relies on not getting hit/being able to escape as soon as he gets in. With CC being what it is, I don't enjoy playing him. He's also not that good at bursting down single targets compared to other gods.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Johnny Joestar posted:

is sylvanus okay right now. their skills look fun and i've been wanting another guardian to play as.

From what I've seen, he just seems like Geb, but better. The only benefit to playing Geb is that he has pretty good escape. Unless I'm just playing Geb wrong :v:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

trapped mouse posted:

From what I've seen, he just seems like Geb, but better. The only benefit to playing Geb is that he has pretty good escape. Unless I'm just playing Geb wrong :v:

Geb is amazing take it back :v:

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
They'd be about on par if it weren't for Geb's 3. A huge shield + a CC cleanse on one ability is absurd. Sylvanus is still great though.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Johnny Joestar posted:

He's pretty dang good. His pull + root combo is great if your teammates are ready to exploit it. His healing is OK. His ult can be good if you put a bit of power on him. He is slow as heck tho

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Also, my friend has been playing Geb a lot lately and he's done the top player damage in the entire game a few times already. He used to think he was one of the worst guardians :v:

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

dogstile posted:

Geb is amazing take it back :v:

To be fair I've only played Geb in arena, when I usually prefer to play Joust in general. In Arena you just have people running around like idiots, and your shield is on cooldown from protecting the last idiot, and so everyone's dying around you, and I can't seem to do anything but laughably small damage to all the enemy gods while lamenting my inevitable defeat.

Although maybe it's because I main Ymir, who is ridiculously tanky and can dole out serious damage. Maybe I should try out Xing Tian instead.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Geb works best when you have someone to rely on. I mainly play assassins and hunters (my friends aren't so good at knowing when to dash in to do damage, so I kind of pick up the slack for them there) and I have a friend who plays tanks. If I want to go in, Geb can ensure someone stays there long enough for me to do my poo poo. He's strong enough to eat crits from dumb enemy assassins/hunters who build that against him due to his passive and he can shield me long enough for me to escape if poo poo goes sideways.

On top of all of that, he has a stun and two of his abilities throw people in the air. Awilix pairs so well with Geb.

Ymir is probably better if you're playing arena with pubbies though, I've taken to playing him and using him to gently caress over gods like bacchus and thor by saving my freeze just for when they try their annoying sustain abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
Happy 2nd Birthday To Us!
2016birthdaygems

It has been 2 years since SMITE was officially released. It has been a crazy ride and we want to thank everyone for playing, enjoying, and supporting SMITE along the way. You guys are amazing and here is to an awesome first 2 years!

From Tuesday March 22nd to Monday March 28th, The Ultimate God Pack will be 50% off for the first time ever! The Ultimate God Pack not only unlocks all past gods but also unlocks any future gods. In addition this week, all Gems will be 33% off and the Playstation 4 Founders Pack will be 50% off!

Beginning Tuesday March 22nd, SMITE’s official Birthday, players can look forward to the following events:

Tuesday 3/22 – 3x Worshipers

Wednesday 3/23 – Double FWOTD Bonus

Thursday 3/24 – Icon Sale 50% Off

Friday 3/25 – 1 FWOTD Cutesy Thor Icon

Saturday 3/26 – 2x Everything

Sunday 3/27– 3 FWOTD SMITE Chest Roll

Monday 3/28 – Voice Pack Sale 50% Off

• Locked thread