Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

Sudo Echo posted:

trekkies have been sexual deviants since the 60s

I remember you but I was in a different fleet at the time. We were finalists in some pubbie costume contest I think. Welcome back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Sudo Echo posted:

how many goons still play this game? was thinking of passing some downtime with this since I haven't played in about six years now and there's new stuff to do, yeah? I used to go as brainbow in starfleet dental if any of y'all remember this goofy guy:

Well look who shows up as soon as people talk about stealing the bank.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I finally found someone I play games with pretty readily... who decided to talk about how DS9 was terrible and Voyager was the best season of star trek.

I've never really watched either, but it made me think fondly on the memories of shooting boats while insulting how bad voyager was, back when romulans happened.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran
Okay, so there's a problem I have with the Strategist spec. A big problem. But it's a personal one, so if you can't even give two shits about my problems, it's best to turn away now. If you're staying, let me explain.

Since my early days, well before I even had 20 characters, my original spreadsheets followed 48 characters. Created after Legacy of Romulus, my planning accounted for 24 UFP characters, 12 KDF characters, and 12 RRF characters divided into 16 Tactical, 16 Science, and 16 Engineering career with an even 24/24 male/female split. I also split their assigned ship types up into Tactical ships(in which 8 Tac and 4 of each Eng/Sci fly), Engineering ships(in which 8 Eng and 4 of each Tac/Sci fly), and Science ships(in which 8 Sci and 4 of each Tac/Eng fly).

I had managed to follow this plan to a T before the Delta Recruit event threw a wrench into it. An event in which I had already created and leveled(as well as imbued with limited-time unlockables) the full 48-character roster from my plans. The Delta Recruit event, considering that I wanted to create a DR, forced my spreadsheets to expand to still be considered even, to 96 characters; an extra 12 for each of the KDF and RRF factions, as well as a full 24 for the next playable faction - presumably Cardassian..

But even bigger than the Delta Recruit problem are Specializations. Don't get me wrong, I m a big proponent of a large and expansive specialization system. The implications of such a system would insure that each of my eventual 96+ characters would be unique in comparison with each other to insure that they each stay interesting to me to play.

Okay, let me 'splain that last part. Since I have so many characters, I planned for each of them only one primary and one secondary specialization each. As gaining the necessary specialization points to max out every spec on every character is too big of a task to handle, even for a player such as myself. Therein lies the problem - I must plan for each character's specialization in advance, and reserve specialization points so I can immediately dump said points into in the even that a new specialization drops. In addition, I arranged specializations so that the characters flying a certain career ship will match with the ships that their specialization features. The Pilot spec was allocated mainly to characters that fly Tactical ships, The Command spec was allocated mainly to characters that fly Engineering ships, and so on.

After the big spreadsheet expansion after the Delta Recruit event, I started my big spec allocation planning. Including the characters that I had already given specializations, I managed to even the plan out. For each specialization, there will be 4 characters for each faction; 2 of the 4 in any given faction will have the spec slotted as a primary, while the other two will keep the spec a secondary. I laid this plan out for all 4 known specializations at the time, including Commando.

Then, after listening to a P1 interview on the subject, it was revealed that there would be no plans to expand the Commando specialization. I thought that this is indeed bad news for my spreadsheets. But plans change, right? I thought that since my spreadsheets were so intricately organized already, it would be a total waste if I took the dev at his word and go through a large-scale alteration in assumption that a primary Commando spec would definitely never happen. The reason given is that the higher-ups want ships to come with primary specs, and it's apparently too difficult to align that concept with a purely ground-themed specialization. Regardless, I continued on with some of my characters reserving points for a mythical 'Commando primary spec'.

Now comes the Strategist specialization. A 'secondary' specialization. A feature that further enforces the 'secondary-only specs will continue being a thing'. Which is all well and good, except for the precedent that the Pilot specialization presented. It has demonstrated that, at any time, a secondary-only specialization can spring up to having a primary option. Not only that, but the Strategist specialization is a space spec - meaning that it's not bound to being unable to have ships developed for it, according to the requirements the devs laid out for a spec becoming primary.

The main problem I have now is predicting the hypothetical starships that have a very real chance of eventually being a thing for the Strategist specialization. Will they be Engineering-heavy? Or perhaps they'll be Tactical ships? Hell, they might even be Science-oriented for all I know. There also might never be any, and this dilemma could be for nothing. With this in mind, I unfortunately can not plan for any of my characters to have the Strategist specialization as of yet without compromising my perfectly thought-out character whoring spreadsheets.

tl;dr - I dunno which chars to spec into Strategist, and I wanted to blog a rant about it.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Roseo posted:

Okay, so there's a problem I have with the Strategist spec. A big problem. But it's a personal one, so if you can't even give two shits about my problems, it's best to turn away now. If you're staying, let me explain.

Since my early days, well before I even had 20 characters, my original spreadsheets followed 48 characters. Created after Legacy of Romulus, my planning accounted for 24 UFP characters, 12 KDF characters, and 12 RRF characters divided into 16 Tactical, 16 Science, and 16 Engineering career with an even 24/24 male/female split. I also split their assigned ship types up into Tactical ships(in which 8 Tac and 4 of each Eng/Sci fly), Engineering ships(in which 8 Eng and 4 of each Tac/Sci fly), and Science ships(in which 8 Sci and 4 of each Tac/Eng fly).

I had managed to follow this plan to a T before the Delta Recruit event threw a wrench into it. An event in which I had already created and leveled(as well as imbued with limited-time unlockables) the full 48-character roster from my plans. The Delta Recruit event, considering that I wanted to create a DR, forced my spreadsheets to expand to still be considered even, to 96 characters; an extra 12 for each of the KDF and RRF factions, as well as a full 24 for the next playable faction - presumably Cardassian..

But even bigger than the Delta Recruit problem are Specializations. Don't get me wrong, I m a big proponent of a large and expansive specialization system. The implications of such a system would insure that each of my eventual 96+ characters would be unique in comparison with each other to insure that they each stay interesting to me to play.

Okay, let me 'splain that last part. Since I have so many characters, I planned for each of them only one primary and one secondary specialization each. As gaining the necessary specialization points to max out every spec on every character is too big of a task to handle, even for a player such as myself. Therein lies the problem - I must plan for each character's specialization in advance, and reserve specialization points so I can immediately dump said points into in the even that a new specialization drops. In addition, I arranged specializations so that the characters flying a certain career ship will match with the ships that their specialization features. The Pilot spec was allocated mainly to characters that fly Tactical ships, The Command spec was allocated mainly to characters that fly Engineering ships, and so on.

After the big spreadsheet expansion after the Delta Recruit event, I started my big spec allocation planning. Including the characters that I had already given specializations, I managed to even the plan out. For each specialization, there will be 4 characters for each faction; 2 of the 4 in any given faction will have the spec slotted as a primary, while the other two will keep the spec a secondary. I laid this plan out for all 4 known specializations at the time, including Commando.

Then, after listening to a P1 interview on the subject, it was revealed that there would be no plans to expand the Commando specialization. I thought that this is indeed bad news for my spreadsheets. But plans change, right? I thought that since my spreadsheets were so intricately organized already, it would be a total waste if I took the dev at his word and go through a large-scale alteration in assumption that a primary Commando spec would definitely never happen. The reason given is that the higher-ups want ships to come with primary specs, and it's apparently too difficult to align that concept with a purely ground-themed specialization. Regardless, I continued on with some of my characters reserving points for a mythical 'Commando primary spec'.

Now comes the Strategist specialization. A 'secondary' specialization. A feature that further enforces the 'secondary-only specs will continue being a thing'. Which is all well and good, except for the precedent that the Pilot specialization presented. It has demonstrated that, at any time, a secondary-only specialization can spring up to having a primary option. Not only that, but the Strategist specialization is a space spec - meaning that it's not bound to being unable to have ships developed for it, according to the requirements the devs laid out for a spec becoming primary.

The main problem I have now is predicting the hypothetical starships that have a very real chance of eventually being a thing for the Strategist specialization. Will they be Engineering-heavy? Or perhaps they'll be Tactical ships? Hell, they might even be Science-oriented for all I know. There also might never be any, and this dilemma could be for nothing. With this in mind, I unfortunately can not plan for any of my characters to have the Strategist specialization as of yet without compromising my perfectly thought-out character whoring spreadsheets.

tl;dr - I dunno which chars to spec into Strategist, and I wanted to blog a rant about it.

:qqsay:

also loll you grind 96 different chars

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I hope they keep adding more specs so your spreadsheet problem becomes even worse :twisted:

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

-Troika- posted:

also loll you grind 96 different chars

I don't even have the patience to start a single Fed alt. How the gently caress does 96 happen?

Edit:

g0del posted:

We already have a super autist in dental

18 Character Limit fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 16, 2016

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Roseo posted:

Source your quotes.

Edit:

Yay, done with the event.

Aleth fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 16, 2016

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Aleth posted:

Source your quotes.
Yeah, I want to see where that comes from.

Aleth posted:

Yay, done with the event.

I really wish that was an account unlock. Breach is a great STF, until you have to run it over and over again.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

Aleth posted:

Source your quotes.

https://www.reddit.com//r/sto/comments/4ao5hd/strategist_or_general_specialization_rant/

Managed to be too spergy for Reddit, how the gently caress does that happen.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

system protocol posted:

I remember you but I was in a different fleet at the time. We were finalists in some pubbie costume contest I think. Welcome back.

Oh yeah I remember that, it was like some radio show live stream thing. Good times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z70S4a_53Iw&hd=1

Morglon posted:

Well look who shows up as soon as people talk about stealing the bank.

Hey now, I paid it back in full :v: It was just an unauthorized loan!

e: if anyone can invite me to TheNextGooneration that'd be much appreciated. Brainbow@THE_LOG_LADY

Hugh G. Rectum fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 16, 2016

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Roseo posted:

https://www.reddit.com//r/sto/comments/4ao5hd/strategist_or_general_specialization_rant/

Managed to be too spergy for Reddit, how the gently caress does that happen.
This individual is definitely "on the spectrum". :wtc:

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran
There was interest in joining Dental. So I used this:

And got this:

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
God drat that's some words. You asked for it though.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Respond to him with a failing grade due to #2. He didn't follow the instructions, as he only gave his faction and not his race or class. Tell him he can reapply in 180 days.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Defiance Industries posted:

Respond to him with a failing grade due to #2. He didn't follow the instructions, as he only gave his faction and not his race or class. Tell him he can reapply in 180 days.

Can he still buy an immediate resubmission?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I wouldn't call that submission tertiary grade writing standards either. Tell them they need to resubmit with proper punctuation, grammar and paragraphs.

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

First-gen Core I7, phffffffff.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm still using an i5 2500k but that chip is a loving legend that has stood the test of time.

Rahhmi
Aug 18, 2015

GO WEEDJI!

[05/28/2016 12:40:42 AM] Pulse: don't stir up my
personal drama, please

Roseo posted:

And got this:

I really hope future applicants actually bother to follow simple instructions better than this guy did today.

On another note, who recruited Michaelangelo from the new Ninja Turtles Game?

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

system protocol posted:

First-gen Core I7, phffffffff.
No no no. He has a core i-17. Get it right. It's just too bad that he paired his CPU from the future with such a bad video card.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

Roseo posted:

And got this:

I wouldn't worry about this guy, he failed his interview miserably. He was fifteen minutes late because he was "on a call" at his "IRL job." Bad start. He refused to give me the perfect D'Kora build when asked, and, when I removed him from my bridge, he threatened legal action against our very own Buschmaki. Completely unacceptable.

quote:

[3/16 11:01] [Tell] T'Parr_MCM@Kazim_MCM: its ok if he does Google will track his IP and he will get a court summons :) playing with a lawyer is not fun
[3/16 11:01] [Tell] T'Parr_MCM@Kazim_MCM: esp the son of a united states lawyer

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure under the space TPP that Dental has more legal rights that him.

Dick Bass
Feb 22, 2006

Terrible pubbie bios never get old.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

Dick Bass posted:

What an hero.

Goat Pillager
Mar 1, 2013

DonDoodles posted:

What an hero.

He's not the hero we need, but the hero we deserve (for playing this game).

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I dunno, at least that bio's not ten pages of how he's secretly a super human with his own personal bondage dungeon of Orions.

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

g0del posted:

No no no. He has a core i-17. Get it right. It's just too bad that he paired his CPU from the future with such a bad video card.

Pairing good CPU's with terrible video cards seems to be the norm.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

Dick Bass posted:

He seems more like a poor guy who learned English as a second or third language. I like him. Heck, he's wearing pink, he can't be all bad.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

system protocol posted:

Pairing good CPU's with terrible video cards seems to be the norm.
It's surprising how many people think pairing a $400 CPU with a video card which they found in a box of cracker jacks is a good idea. They also usually spend extra to get an overclockable CPU, but then don't overclock it because they heard that can destroy your computer.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

DonDoodles posted:

Speaking of spergs and autists, I muted a guy named @natejam01 or something in NoPPS for about ten minutes due to an insufferably stupid argument he started in the channel. In ten minutes, he lobbed "QQ MORE LOL" tells at me (while placing me on ignore, made his own "NOP TRADING CHANNEL" channel to complain about the NoPPS mods, and logged onto an alt account, "nateham101", pretending to be the "brother" who just wanted answers from the channel admins. Does he do this a lot, Lago?

I unmuted him because everyone else in the channel was being equally insufferable and they deserved him.
nateham101 is natejam101's alt to circumvent the forum ban he was given.

I thought we owned the NoP Trading Channel, or did it get disbanded?

DonDoodles posted:

...he threatened legal action against our very own Buschmaki. Completely unacceptable.
Terrible.

He's from House Of Beautiful Orions, so I expected nothing else. It's just a shame he didn't leave Zelda or Linamia as a reference.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
It's an upgrade weekend and I have some EC to burn - what's everyone's favourite ground weapon? In assuming the TR 116 would be up there?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The lobi iconian staff. :getin:

Seriously, there's very little that comes close to it. Really high damage, good mods, and the primary fire is an AoE. If you don't have that though, yeah, the TR-116 isn't bad (not as useful for every content, but still trivializes borg and elachi), the shotgun (if you have it), or one of those vendor-bought romulan plasma rifles with the wide angle exploit secondary, I forget the exact name.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Asimo posted:

The lobi iconian staff. :getin:

Seriously, there's very little that comes close to it. Really high damage, good mods, and the primary fire is an AoE. If you don't have that though, yeah, the TR-116 isn't bad (not as useful for every content, but still trivializes borg and elachi), the shotgun (if you have it), or one of those vendor-bought romulan plasma rifles with the wide angle exploit secondary, I forget the exact name.

Give that staff to your away team if you're feeling spendy. Everything dies.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The Romulan plasma repeater pistol is pretty boss.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Epic energy whip or go home.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I'm dumb at times and often miss exploits. So a weapon that didn't bother with one seemed ideal. What am I talking about?

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Plasma_Charged_Burst_Assault

One of the 'weird' weapons given to the Romulan faction with Legacy.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

SKY COQ posted:

It's an upgrade weekend and I have some EC to burn - what's everyone's favourite ground weapon? In assuming the TR 116 would be up there?

I have no idea if anything new was added that's worthwhile since I last played for any length of time but the Valkher (or whatever they're called) minigun was pretty boss as it'd spit out shell casings as you go full auto. Also iirc it'd apply some debuff on proc so it was actually worthwhile.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

All seven piss beams upgraded. I think I've reached the true endgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
You need to do all 8 for a full set, scrub.

• Locked thread