Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
yeah she's doing a lot better

she's still hosed up and going to the psychiatrist with her has not been a good thing for me at all as I'm learning waaaay more about her childhood abuse than is healthy for me but she is improving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Tayter Swift posted:

she's still hosed up and going to the psychiatrist with her has not been a good thing for me at all as I'm learning waaaay more about her childhood abuse than is healthy for me but she is improving

Sorry about your mom.

You should see if she enjoys drawing the mandalas herself instead of just coloring them in? I always find it sort of soothing to start with a little thing in the center and add whatever I want at increasing radiuses and have them get really big.

Then she can color those!

I'm sort of jealous I didn't think of the "adult coloring" thing because I doodle poo poo like in those books all the drat time.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Tayter Swift posted:

my mother now spends much of her time coloring. her favorite book has the word CALM in big letters on the front.

she saved up and dropped about $400 in color pencils this month. I'd look askance but I just built a goddamn modular synthesizer so who am I to judge

good colored pencils fuckin own

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

Al! posted:

confirmed false, if you put that you are a Boy Scout on your resume people will assume you are a child toucher

this really depends on the part of the country you're in. i hardly know anyone in san francisco who was a boy scout, and they all seem slightly creeped out by the organization's existence. otoh basically every man in my grandma's part of ohio was part of scouting at some point, so saying you're an eagle scout there means something.

my scout troop had no child touching to my knowledge. it was just a bunch of weird college-aged manchildren teaching boys healthy outdoorsy things for boys to do, such as freezing to death in the woods, learning to tie nooses, and setting things on fire

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

On some campuses, wealthy Chinese students stand out for their extraordinary opulence—and fuel resentment in the process.

Ashley Yao, a student at Stony Brook University in New York, speeds to classes in a tricked-out BMW X5 M sport-utility vehicle. The 25-year-old wears haute couture and hangs out with other wealthy Chinese-born university students who drive candy-colored Lamborghinis, Ferraris and McLarens.

Ms. Yao, who lives in a four-bedroom house her parents bought for her, says she finds it difficult to connect with the U.S. students on campus.

“American students have a certain idea about how Chinese students should be,” she says, adding, “It feels a little hard to become part of American society.”

does ms. yao speak english and hang out with them?

because in grad school we also had complaints both to and from the chinese students about integrating with american society, but it sure wasn't helped by them hanging out exclusively with other chinese kids and speaking english only when forced

college students don't have a problem with friends that have lamborghinis as long as they're cool

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

does ms. yao speak english and hang out with them?

because in grad school we also had complaints both to and from the chinese students about integrating with american society, but it sure wasn't helped by them hanging out exclusively with other chinese kids and speaking english only when forced

it's from the wsj so they downplay the language aspect a bit

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

a big canadian engineering school near my part of the country got written up in the national papers because there were so many chinese students that the TAs had switched to teaching the lab sessions in mandarin

the article was called something like "is UW too chinese?" and it was hugely controversial

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

this really depends on the part of the country you're in. i hardly know anyone in san francisco who was a boy scout, and they all seem slightly creeped out by the organization's existence. otoh basically every man in my grandma's part of ohio was part of scouting at some point, so saying you're an eagle scout there means something.

my scout troop had no child touching to my knowledge. it was just a bunch of weird college-aged manchildren teaching boys healthy outdoorsy things for boys to do, such as freezing to death in the woods, learning to tie nooses, and setting things on fire

p much how it goes in the south w/ the added bonus of visiting civil war battlegrounds/forts and sleeping on museum ships and trapping and torturing small animals to death

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

reminder that a bunch of republicans in california pushed to get rid of demographically proportional acceptance rates in the UC system out of hatred for affirmative action, eventually succeeded, and the next year the proportion of chinese students roughly doubled

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

reminder that a bunch of republicans in california pushed to get rid of demographically proportional acceptance rates in the UC system out of hatred for affirmative action, eventually succeeded, and the next year the proportion of chinese students roughly doubled

fuckin owned

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
There are an oddly small number of Chinese grad students in my program considering our proximity, lots of girls though (50% I think). I heard from someone that we had a significant run of basically worthless Chinese students showing up who didn't know english or physics even though they had great applications and so now they just don't believe anyone coming from China.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
the boy scouts were invented so kids wouldn't masturbate

corn flakes has a similar reason for invention

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.

Citizen Tayne posted:

We're sucking everything off. It's out of control

the dyson i was using at work died on me last night. gently caress dyson and give me simplicity/ miele.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
Ask HN: Do You Say “Git Hub” or “Gee Thub”?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

computer parts posted:

corn flakes has a similar reason for invention

and graham crackers

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.

Tusen Takk posted:

holy gently caress I just got my dental bill: $325 and I still have to go get one more done next week

I thought I had good dental insurance what the gently caress

I have no idea how we're going to pay for this because I haven't been getting many hours at work so we can barely make rent

gently caress you America

paying 100-200 usd per cavity filled IS GOOD DENTAL INSURANCE. god drat tusen.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

and graham crackers

and the something awful forums

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tayter Swift posted:

:smith: You're a much better son than I.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

liquidfire posted:

paying 100-200 usd per cavity filled IS GOOD DENTAL INSURANCE. god drat tusen.

one of my friends back in my hometown was a two pack a day smoker and an entire fridge pack of coke a day drinker

when his parents offered to pay for him to go to the dentist in our mid-20s he had more cavities than teeth

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

On some campuses, wealthy Chinese students stand out for their extraordinary opulence—and fuel resentment in the process.

Ashley Yao, a student at Stony Brook University in New York, speeds to classes in a tricked-out BMW X5 M sport-utility vehicle. The 25-year-old wears haute couture and hangs out with other wealthy Chinese-born university students who drive candy-colored Lamborghinis, Ferraris and McLarens.

Ms. Yao, who lives in a four-bedroom house her parents bought for her, says she finds it difficult to connect with the U.S. students on campus.

“American students have a certain idea about how Chinese students should be,” she says, adding, “It feels a little hard to become part of American society.”

lmao i was going to say "do wealthy chinese people not understand how poor Americans are," but I just remembered that wealthy American people don't understand how poor Americans are

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

an entire fridge pack of coke a day drinker

how in the hell

that is fuckin ridiculous

Apr 7, 2003

liquidfire posted:

the dyson i was using at work died on me last night. gently caress dyson and give me simplicity/ miele.

I can fully recommend the Miele Dynamic U1 Salsa. It's cheaper than a Dyson ($449 on Amazon), and it is solid as a loving rock.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tayter Swift posted:

i'm glad things are improving at least

sounded pretty dire when you first posted about it

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
tswift you dont have to answer but why the heck are you in a therapy session with someone else that aint relationship counseling

that seems like asking for a lot of self harm

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Elder Postsman posted:

how in the hell

that is fuckin ridiculous

I was a latchkey kid for a while and let me tell you it's fuckin easy

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Al! posted:

I was a latchkey kid for a while and let me tell you it's fuckin easy

that's over a gallon of soda every day

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Elder Postsman posted:

that's over a gallon of soda every day

yeah I had a real weird childhood that's why I'm like this

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Tusen Takk posted:

holy gently caress I just got my dental bill: $325 and I still have to go get one more done next week

I thought I had good dental insurance what the gently caress

I have no idea how we're going to pay for this because I haven't been getting many hours at work so we can barely make rent

gently caress you America

sounds like you aren't living in affordable housing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

computer parts posted:

"mission accomplished"

Apr 7, 2003

Sports radio status:

Needs suiting

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
finally home. all the stereotypes of Florida are correct

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

why do you have itunes on your windows computer

Apr 7, 2003

It looks oddly tiny in that picture, it's 4.68 inches H x 9.38 inches W x 6.75 inches D.

Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

why do you have itunes on your windows computer

Why wouldn't I have the best music organizing / playing software in the world on my computer?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

my desktop went solid black at some point and i just kind of left it that way

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
why would you have iTunes on any computer? iTunes is garbage

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

lol at the idea of storing music files on your hard drive at all

Adbot