Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

CCM reigns

only Bauer I'll touch is the 1N Giroux curve :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Tremendous Taste posted:

only Bauer I'll touch is the 1N Giroux curve :eyepop:

https://www.facebook.com/gopro/videos/10153664711291919/

:eyepop:

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

Duke Chin posted:

My bauer shoulder pads aren't even a year old and the whole left side where the sternum part is sewn into the chest part with the soft velcro has completely ripped from stem to stern. :shrug:

Skate durability I can't speak to as, outside of a ½ season, I bailed from them over to what I use now, so they haven't seen much abuse.

I have Bauer everything (except sticks) for 2+ years and I haven't had a single issue. v:shobon:v

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Brettbot posted:

I have Bauer everything (except sticks) for 2+ years and I haven't had a single issue. v:shobon:v

Guess I must have lost the quality control sweepstakes then. :shrug:x2 :v: In full disclosure: as someone who falls down a lot, I actually rather like my clunky rear end used bauer one.6 shin pads. :ssh:

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I love my Bauer pants, definitely an upgrade over the low padding Reeboks that I had. Plus they come in green, which apparently everybody freakin' hates.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

I would say follow Sellouts advice and always try to pick something up barely used off of ebay.

That said, I am about to ignore this advice entirely when the new 1S goalie skates go on sale at the end of April. My justification being that for once its something totally new and not just a $100 dollar price increase for minor design tweaks.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I bought used skates off of eBay and aside from being practically brand-new and under $300 it turns out they were sold to me by the guy who led the Swedish league in scoring last year so that was cool

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I was all about Bauer gear but I got two Easton RS2 Hall curve on sale and haven't looked back. I generally don't care who makes the stick as long as it has a low kickpoint, ~70 flex and PM9/Hall curve I'm set.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Zip! posted:

I would say follow Sellouts advice and always try to pick something up barely used off of ebay.

That said, I am about to ignore this advice entirely when the new 1S goalie skates go on sale at the end of April. My justification being that for once its something totally new and not just a $100 dollar price increase for minor design tweaks.

I'm going to buy goalie skates soonish and I'll take a tour through Play It Again Sports for cast-offs from the 12 year old boys but expect to buy new. I feel like the combination of child-sized feet and adult-sized legs is such a pain in the rear end to fit, throwing money at it is almost inevitable. Barring disaster I expect the first pair I buy to outlast my playing career, though.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

For a lot of us we're jealous because high end skates are way cheaper in Jr. sizes.

I mentioned that to a woman player and she said the price is good but the skates aren't made as well as the Sr. stuff and just don't last.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I got a brand new pair of top of the line Reebok 20ks for $300 CDN (well $336 because of taxes). I think they sold for $800 new initially. I bought them on clearance so I'd say not only eBay but at the tail end of a product clearout you can get a good deal.

poo poo I have top of the line new Easton Mako leg pads, shoulder pads, elbow pads, and Reebok 20k shin guards. They were all brand new on clearance or minor factory error (elbow pads both listed as Left in error but one is left and one is right). Bought them at 40-75% off because those product lines were done and the local/online shops just wanted them gone.

Basically I skate around in pro-level protection and I paid entry level gear price.

Note: pro-level gear doesn't make you better (except your skates, good skates are a god send).

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

doctor 7 posted:

Note: pro-level gear doesn't make you better (except your skates, good skates are a god send).

gently caress

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Pro level pants and shoulders might actually make you worse.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Thufir posted:

Pro level pants and shoulders might actually make you worse.

The Mako ones I got are pretty amazing. The Velcro wrap is diagonally down the front from the collar to the waist, not around the sides like everything else which gives you a great fit. It was definitely weird at first but once you get used to the fact is really hugs your torso means it doesn't inhibit range of motion at all (barring the shoulders if you try and stick your arms straight up which you never really do in hockey).

Pro-pants now are basically as heavy as lower protection pants due to using porous layers of protection with better material. Joint seems are all in the appropriate spots like anything else.

Plus you can feel more confident blocking shots (but still not confident enough going for anything but shin blocks unless you are crazy).

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I'm going to buy goalie skates soonish and I'll take a tour through Play It Again Sports for cast-offs from the 12 year old boys but expect to buy new. I feel like the combination of child-sized feet and adult-sized legs is such a pain in the rear end to fit, throwing money at it is almost inevitable. Barring disaster I expect the first pair I buy to outlast my playing career, though.

Can you wear a senior size 8? I've got a pair of Reactor 6000 skates I can part with.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
on the topic of sweet gear deals, hockeymonekey has a 40% off clearance coupon through the weekend. CLEAR40

Scored a zetterberg warrior stick and compression jock. unfortunately good deals on helmets and shoulder pads are always hard to find for my size or I would have gone a little overboard.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's a crazy good code, is it on everything in the store?

I still haven't put in an order for new pants, I'm leaning towards trying a girdle but haven't convinced myself to actually do it.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

xzzy posted:

That's a crazy good code, is it on everything in the store?

I still haven't put in an order for new pants, I'm leaning towards trying a girdle but haven't convinced myself to actually do it.

only on clearance stuff, but there's a ton of it. I wish you could search by size though cuz that was a lot of clicking just to figure out that there aren't any mako shoulders in xl or helmets that aren't blue or budget line in large.

I'm also on the girdle fence, but only if I can find somewhere that carries ridiculous looking shells.

delpheye fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 18, 2016

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

delpheye posted:

on the topic of sweet gear deals, hockeymonekey has a 40% off clearance coupon through the weekend. CLEAR40

Scored a zetterberg warrior stick and compression jock. unfortunately good deals on helmets and shoulder pads are always hard to find for my size or I would have gone a little overboard.

Woah, $60 for these... in forest green, of course:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warrior-hockey-gloves-covert-qr3-sr.html#_ga=1.31990782.1968015050.1458329203

Goddamn you.

e:

quote:

Wartech FNC liner is powered by Polygiene so you are always cool, dry and odor free - the very best gloves for staying Fresh and Clean

Challenge accepted.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 18, 2016

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Woah, $60 for these... in forest green, of course:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warrior-hockey-gloves-covert-qr3-sr.html#_ga=1.31990782.1968015050.1458329203

Goddamn you.

e:

Challenge accepted.

I have some older DT2 Warrior gloves with I think the same liner and...odor free is not how I would describe them.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah, I was really disappointed I couldn't find any 14" white gloves, or I'd have gotten a pair of those too. Lots of other great gloves though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aren't Eagle gloves the best in the business though?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Thufir posted:

I have some older DT2 Warrior gloves with I think the same liner and...odor free is not how I would describe them.

For serious. My jock smells like angels and fairy dust on a moonlit lavender rainbow compared to my gloves.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I'm partial to any 4 roll style glove but Eagle far and away has the best gloves, specifically their palms. They used to sell the palms separately so that they could be replaced into any glove but then they limited it to only eagles.

Oddly enough I picked up a couple sets of Tron Pro gloves a while ago when they had a 2 for 1 deal. I'm actually pleasantly surprised with the quality and durability for the price. They still look and feel like new after more than a year of weekly play. The palms are in perfect shape, no holes and they don't really stink at all. Not bad for essentially $40 gloves. The durability has surpassed any of my Bauer or Easton palms and none of the stitching has come undone.

Although I think my $7 fischer sticks are still the best deal I've ever had. They're still going strong nearly a year later. I haven't even needed to use the third one I bought yet.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The thumb stitching on my Eagles busted after only a year or so. It took my Vapors 2-3 years for the thumb to bust a giant hole through.

Let's see how these Warriors work...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I haven't started using my Fischers regularly. I lug one as my backup and have used it a couple times but my Easton RS2 hasn't broken yet.. if I remember properly it'll be 2 years old this summer.

At this rate I won't need to buy a stick for 10 years.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

I personally prefer Easton because their 13" size fits me perfectly. Every other brand I tried was either too loose or too tight. I dunno what the style is named but the wrist is naturally curved a bit for your hand to properly be on your stick. Going to need to get my left glove repalmed though but I've had them over a year now and play 2-3 times a week, except for a 2 month hiatus of mono.

Are Eagle the "best" for gloves? I might try them out in a bit when my current ones are just shambles.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I nearly wept when I broke the last of my pro S19s. My absolute favorite stick on earth and showed no signs of wear until it snapped in half on a slapshot during warmups.

I'm actually really liking the fischers, my only regret was not buying more. Once I go through these three I'll go back to my stockpile of pro-stock reeboks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If bought at full price, the stuff I just ordered from hockey monkey would have cost $300. It was already all on clearance so the actual price was $200, and the code brought it down to $129. Coupons and good timing own.

It will be nice to not have my jock hanging out of my pants anymore, the indecent exposure jokes were getting old.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Verman posted:

I nearly wept when I broke the last of my pro S19s. My absolute favorite stick on earth and showed no signs of wear until it snapped in half on a slapshot during warmups.

I'm actually really liking the fischers, my only regret was not buying more. Once I go through these three I'll go back to my stockpile of pro-stock reeboks.

What fischers did you grab? I picked one up for just a shade under $30 but I'm digging my CCM pool noodle way way more.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Vargatron posted:

Can you wear a senior size 8? I've got a pair of Reactor 6000 skates I can part with.

Oh lord no, I wear a junior size 3. Thank you for the offer, though.

Chemmy posted:

For a lot of us we're jealous because high end skates are way cheaper in Jr. sizes.

I mentioned that to a woman player and she said the price is good but the skates aren't made as well as the Sr. stuff and just don't last.

My gear has been pretty long-lived. My skates in particular are IIRC 13 years old now and aside from some stitching I should probably get repaired they're in good shape. I don't play every night or even every week right now, but for a good part of the skates' lifetime I was doing 2-3 games per night a couple nights/week.

Pinky Artichoke fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 19, 2016

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Eagles are amazing but the palm leather doesn't really last any longer than cheap gloves. Speaking of which, what's the best way to go about replacing mine?

e: apparently it's only the gussets that are ripped (and nearly all of them), but the palm itself is fine on both

JollyPubJerk fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 19, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Eagle can repalm them. There's a number of small shops around the country you can mail your gloves to to get them repalmed too.

There's one up in Minneapolis that basically everyone loves the poo poo out of, but I can't remember the name of it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I use eagle to replace. Great service.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Pros and cons of playoff hockey:

Con: Lost 6-4, teammates were chippy as poo poo and we were on the PK most of the night.

Pro: I won most of my face offs and got a half a case of beer to bring home.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
5 hockey games over the next 11 days, including 1st playoff game, starts tonight :toot: looking forward to getting that much ice time in this week.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
We played an inter league game tonight against a team well above or skill level.

We lost 7-2. They were so loving physical and dirty but the refs were letting it go way too far and it started getting nasty.

I'll be happy to forget that game.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

yeah dude didn't you hear hz can't play in his lower level anymore

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

Verman posted:

We played an inter league game tonight against a team well above or skill level.

We lost 7-2. They were so loving physical and dirty but the refs were letting it go way too far and it started getting nasty.

I'll be happy to forget that game.

We played a game last week against a team in our own league and lost 6-1. Our only goal was when a kid dumped it in from the red line and went for a change, it took one bounce and went in. :thumbsup:

Edit: Although... the woman who was running our league has handed it over to a new guy, who has already said he won't be scheduling Monday games for our Thursday league, so he's showing more effort than she did already! Maybe next season he'll try to balance the teams!

Brettbot fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
How high do you guys hold your bottom hand on the hockey stick? I've noticed that a lot of the more experienced guys that I play with seem to keep their bottom hand up higher than I do. I've seen the "elbow's length" thing and that puts it a decent amount higher than where I naturally want to put it. Is this something worth exploring or does it matter? For context I am an okay stickhandler and passer, my shots are fairly accurate but lack power