Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Swedish Horror posted:

In Stardew Valley you can pet animals. I'm not sure what this even does, but it's nice.

It helps them produce better stuff (e.g. cows produce better milk).

You can do it for your cat and dog but it doesn't seem to do anything, but why wouldn't you pet the cat you monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!

RagnarokAngel posted:

You can do it for your cat and dog but it doesn't seem to do anything, but why wouldn't you pet the cat you monster.

Because I value a functioning hand, damnit I have slimes to fight I can't be wasting my time healing cat scratches!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

RagnarokAngel posted:

If you pet your cat/dog enough, one day you will get a message that "<your pet name here> loves you" or something like that when you try to pet them, but other than that it doesn't seem to do anything.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
It's kind of weird when I think "What do you mean 'what does petting my cow do', it's always raised their milk quality you dummo" only to think that maybe, just maybe, not everyone has been playing Harvest Moon games since the SNES days.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

ninjahedgehog posted:

The Division

You can shoot the matryoshka dolls in the Russian consulate.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Morpheus posted:

It's kind of weird when I think "What do you mean 'what does petting my cow do', it's always raised their milk quality you dummo" only to think that maybe, just maybe, not everyone has been playing Harvest Moon games since the SNES days.

It's hard because Stardew Valley is pretty obviously a love letter to the early Harvest Moon games, which is what has attracted so many HM fans. But it's also so good that non-HM fans are playing, so there's this disconnect where those of us who've played farming sims like this before are kind of rolling our eyes but really, who would think that petting your cow makes it give better milk?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Great Milk Comes from Happy Cows ™

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Swedish Horror posted:

If you lose a boss fight in Undertale, the dialogue leading up to the fight is shortened when you fight them again. The game also let's you skip a couple of scenes if you've already played through once.

In addition to doing previous games' "ride skip" feature should you fail a mission, GTA 5 has two or sometimes three variations of most mission travel dialogue just in case you decide you want to sit through it again. It's pretty cool.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

CJacobs posted:

In addition to doing previous games' "ride skip" feature should you fail a mission, GTA 5 has two or sometimes three variations of most mission travel dialogue just in case you decide you want to sit through it again. It's pretty cool.

Yeah that poo poo was great about the GTA franchise, all of them had those memorable convos in cars with mafiosos. Remember the ride with CJ / Big Smoke / Thin dude through the drive thru? Awesome.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlzZhGr8G9w

Thankfully the mission travel flavor dialogue has maintained it's greatness throughout the series.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

It raises the pet's happiness (which is invisible) which is one of the criteria your farm gets rated on at the end.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Seems like an overblown reaction since no one was getting all superior about it. I mean of course it makes your animals produce better stuff it's so obvious when you think about it a little.

:goonsay:

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlzZhGr8G9w

Thankfully the mission travel flavor dialogue has maintained it's greatness throughout the series.

Wow pro click right here. The last gta I played for any length of time was vice city, the games just seems like such a chore but this was great.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Olaf The Stout posted:

Wow pro click right here. The last gta I played for any length of time was vice city, the games just seems like such a chore but this was great.

GTAIV is a slog, but San Andreas and V are well worth your time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also, you can hang out with almost any of the major characters as any of the player characters in free roam, and there's loving tooooons of dialogue. They even get new conversations after the end of the game, particularly the exchange between Michael and Trevor at the start of this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxrsq_68hoU

Seeing Michael and Trevor act like adults after bein big ol manbabies to each other the entire game is weirdly heartwarming.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

In The Division when you reconstruct the hologram things you can shoot them and watch your bullets pass through and cause a little round distortion in the image.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Beastie posted:

In The Division when you reconstruct the hologram things you can shoot them and watch your bullets pass through and cause a little round distortion in the image.

Similarly, in xcom 2 there are holographic displays and barriers around city levels. If a character vaults through them or shoots through them, the image distorts.

Even better, the displays are sometimes wanted posters for your best troops.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Morpheus posted:

Petting animals is just a good thing to do too. :3:

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Animal petting was a great feature in the Assassin's Creed series and I wish that, as an Ubisoft game, The Division had that feature. So many dogs in snowy Manhattan in need of a kind petting.
Or maybe I just don't know the button for it.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
MGSV would be so much better if you could pet a bear.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/2/23/11100464/far-cry-primal-every-predator-petted-and-reviewed

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

WaltherFeng posted:

MGSV would be so much better if you could pet a bear.

This is true of most things, not just games. Like, insert pretty much anything in place of MGSV and see for yourself.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Stardew Valley has coops for small livestock like chickens and barns for larger animals like cows. both buildings have separate doors for the animals and when you open them the animals automatically walk out to graze and they'll return home once night falls. I remember harvest moon games requiring you to push each cow out one by one and carrying each chicken out so I'm loving this small improvement.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

In Broforce, one of the Bros you can play as is Bro Heart (Braveheart). Instead of blue facepaint Bro Heart has red, white, and blue paint. :haw:

Also Conan the Barbarian is Bronan the Brobarian.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things
Petting animals you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPlz0eeixDo

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In The Division whenever you're in or near the Dark Zone (the even more lawless walled off PVP section of the city) they add in random far off gunshots to the ambient background sounds. It does a real good job of making you feel like you're in a dangerous area.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Normally this room is just empty, with a dog standing in front of a small pillar of snow. If you pet Lesser Dog enough, like in the video, the room turns into this:

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Everything Justin and Griffin McElroy do is magic

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

they're so good

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

graybook posted:

Animal petting was a great feature in the Assassin's Creed series and I wish that, as an Ubisoft game, The Division had that feature. So many dogs in snowy Manhattan in need of a kind petting.
Or maybe I just don't know the button for it.

I think it's right trigger on controllers, or left-click on a mouse

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Action Tortoise posted:

Stardew Valley has coops for small livestock like chickens and barns for larger animals like cows. both buildings have separate doors for the animals and when you open them the animals automatically walk out to graze and they'll return home once night falls. I remember harvest moon games requiring you to push each cow out one by one and carrying each chicken out so I'm loving this small improvement.

In Stardew Valley the game doesn't literally end for female PCs if they get married. Much improved.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

In Stardew Valley the game doesn't literally end for female PCs if they get married. Much improved.

I love this because it sounds retarded and no game developer would ever do such a thing and it turns out, nah dude, if you play as a female in a couple of the harvest moon games you don't even get to play a lot of the game lol

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Buzkashi posted:

Everything Justin and Griffin McElroy do is magic

If you haven't already, check out their podcast My Brother, my brother, and me. It's those two and their brother Travis ostensibly giving advice in response to questions from yahoo answers. It's amazing.

Also Griffin's amibo corner.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Greatbacon posted:

If you haven't already, check out their podcast My Brother, my brother, and me. It's those two and their brother Travis ostensibly giving advice in response to questions from yahoo answers. It's amazing.

Also Griffin's amibo corner.

And The Adventure Zone, their DnD podcast that they play with their dad who spent his whole career in radio.

And Monster Factory.

And my deepest, most amazing dreams.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

It is not at all little and is the main purpose of playing more as far as I can tell but the various palettes in Downwell are the most endearing thing in the world. My hope is that if I beat the game I unlock the ability to just pick three colors and make my own palettes but I've not even beaten the 3rd level yet so I have no idea what I may win or not. Best 4 dollars I have ever spent though.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Babe Magnet posted:

I love this because it sounds retarded and no game developer would ever do such a thing and it turns out, nah dude, if you play as a female in a couple of the harvest moon games you don't even get to play a lot of the game lol

The glass ceiling of farmgaming

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Babe Magnet posted:

Me: What are you doing?
Wife: Making [some fruit] to give to [some character]
Me: Oh, that guy likes fruit?
Wife: No he hates it, and this way I won't accidentally end up marrying him

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Babe Magnet posted:

It is because Your Own Harvest Moon Is Just Beginning

THE END

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I can't stop playing Gundam Breaker 3. I loving love this game, the gameplay is incredibly shallow but it's an arcadey gundam beat 'em up starring gundam model kits and recently I found out you can make the horse gundam. Now if only they'd work the Nether Gundam in there somewhere the game would be perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Nuebot posted:

recently I found out you can make the horse gundam.

I feel the need to specify that yes, the horse Gundam is piloted by an actual horse.

Also now all I can think of is a Platinum-made G Gundam game.