Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
If I were them I'd stick to the DnD system because they're getting free poo poo from them, also Griffin likes it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean, they are ignoring a lot of the more in-depth mechanics of the system. If you just take the basics like they've been doing and maybe rejigger some skills, you could make a lot of things work. The d20 system was really prolific in the 90s for a reason.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, they are ignoring a lot of the more in-depth mechanics of the system. If you just take the basics like they've been doing and maybe rejigger some skills, you could make a lot of things work. The d20 system was really prolific in the 90s for a reason.
I agree with you but the d20 system didn't exist until the year 2000. Come on now.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah. It's basically the only reasonable way to play this system, and especially d20 ones.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

Waffleman_ posted:

They just released a podcast where Griffin literally said, "gently caress the mechanics, we're here to have fun". Can you shut the gently caress up about actual DnD mechanics??

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Noted. I'll drop it.

I like that Clint just decided to get a tattoo at the drop of a hat.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 18, 2016

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Wake_N_Bake posted:

They just released a podcast where Griffin literally said, "gently caress the mechanics, we're here to have fun". Can you shut the gently caress up about actual DnD mechanics??

or you could not have a loving raging poo poo every time people talk this, you monstrously fragile manbaby

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

Clint McElroy is SOOOOOO much the brothers' dad that it physically hurts in a good way.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Did mechanics kill your family or something that makes you throw a hissyfit whenever someone talks about the game that they're playing?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The mechanics don't matter and sperging about them being imbalanced or whatever is the polar opposite of what Adventure Zone is about and why 99% of its fans like it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

The mechanics don't matter and sperging about them being imbalanced or whatever...

But nobody did that (this time)?

Hello Meow
Nov 9, 2009
I have never had as much fun with an RPG-centric podcast as the Adventure Zone and that's because it's about having fun. Also because the story is loving awesome so far and most of the others lack anywhere near the craft.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm just super excited about the possibility of My Persona, My Persona, and Me.

If the next season isn't Brothers' Bizarre Adventure Zone then Griffin done hosed up.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Next season will be a sci-fi setting but everyone uses swords and rides horses and there are no elevators to be found for some reason

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I wish that I could hear the moment of realization when Griffin Breaks the news to Justin that Taako's voice could be seen as offensive. Also, that was a really really good recap! I'm glad he put the music for each arc underneath.

Wake_N_Bake posted:

:stare:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The Trad Games grognards showing up is always the worst part of this thread.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I....I said I'd drop it. :smith:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Whizbang posted:

The Trad Games grognards showing up is always the worst part of this thread.

hey look who's still talking about it it's you congrats for not just letting it die *pulls a party popper*

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Maybe I missed something in the podcast, but they mentioned something about "Adventure Zone Nights". What is that?

Also I super enjoyed The The Adventure Zone Zone, I loved getting a look into their thought processes and such.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Luneshot posted:

Maybe I missed something in the podcast, but they mentioned something about "Adventure Zone Nights". What is that?

Also I super enjoyed The The Adventure Zone Zone, I loved getting a look into their thought processes and such.

New donor-only episode. New characters, new universe, Travis DMs.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh, I already listened to that and didn't know it was called that. Never mind!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Waffleman_ posted:

And here's character art!

https://twitter.com/careydraws/status/710512422507954177

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also, I can totally relate to Justin, because I like to play as women in games with character creation.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Waffleman_ posted:

Also, I can totally relate to Justin, because I like to play as women in games with character creation.

Yeah, same. For me it's mostly because I can play white dudes in just about any other game, so why not take the opportunity to switch it up?

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Maybe they pick the McElroy-gently caress-It-Lets-Have-Fun system and don't sperg out about inconsequential poo poo.

Seriously.

Yeah it's really refreshing to see D&D through the lens of people not rules-lawyering the gently caress out of everything. I'm preparing to run a game for people who haven't played before and I want to be like Griffin, allowing people to do whatever silly bullshit they want, just throwing the right skill roll and advantage/disadvantage at it.

e: I'm currently in a toxic relationship with a grognard 3.5e group :(

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

padijun posted:

Yeah it's really refreshing to see D&D through the lens of people not rules-lawyering the gently caress out of everything. I'm preparing to run a game for people who haven't played before and I want to be like Griffin, allowing people to do whatever silly bullshit they want, just throwing the right skill roll and advantage/disadvantage at it.

e: I'm currently in a toxic relationship with a grognard 3.5e group :(

sever

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Didn't they mention using Spirit of the Century's system? I think that'd work really well.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Didn't they mention using Spirit of the Century's system? I think that'd work really well.

Yeah. Spirit is a super dope FATE variant. They could go to some super cool places with that.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Would going through all the donor episodes for the different max fun podcasts be a good intro to the shows? I haven't listened to a single non-McElroy show and at some point I really should I think!

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Stop podcasting yourself is great

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I can't wait until The Adventure Zone transitions to the FATAL system so Clint can really till the soil

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Is there a tabletop game system that actually adds to the gameplay instead of just facilitating it? I've always felt that things improve a ton when you avoid using them as hard guidelines + favor getting everyone to have fun instead of rigorously following every single rule, and TAZ seems to support that a lot!

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Pretty much all of them that aren't trying to be super realistic or DnD will. A decent game is either going to encourage quality narratives, like Apocalypse World (and friends) or 13th Age, or tactical gameplay like Strike! or Runequest.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Yeah, that's basically the entire point of systems like Dungeon World and FATE.

And on this subject, I suddenly want Griffin to made a video episode of them playing Dread the next time they're all together.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

chaos rhames posted:

Pretty much all of them that aren't trying to be super realistic or DnD will. A decent game is either going to encourage quality narratives, like Apocalypse World (and friends) or 13th Age, or tactical gameplay like Strike! or Runequest.

Honest question, how do they do that? I've followed a few things over the years but most systems I've seen people use just seem to get in the way of the people playing more often than not.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

flatluigi posted:

Would going through all the donor episodes for the different max fun podcasts be a good intro to the shows? I haven't listened to a single non-McElroy show and at some point I really should I think!
There was a 2015 SPY bonus ep that didn't follow the format of their show (it was a concept they were pitching to the CBC) but is great for sampling their humour. They try to write a hit song in an hour.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

mikeycp posted:

And on this subject, I suddenly want Griffin to made a video episode of them playing Dread the next time they're all together.

Fuuuuuuck that was exactly what I was going to post! Fudge your way out of this one, Travis!

Dread is my favorite system that I've never gotten to use.

edit: Or it might be even better if they did it at their homes. "Travis, pull two." >sound of blocks falling< "Travis??" "Uhhhh there was a gust of wind, something fell over!" Meanwhile, Clint and Justin have to share one tower.

Notgothic fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Mar 18, 2016

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

flatluigi posted:

Honest question, how do they do that? I've followed a few things over the years but most systems I've seen people use just seem to get in the way of the people playing more often than not.

Dungeon World is very conversational, you're essentially asking the player "so what do you do now?" rather than asking for a hitting roll to make them hit a guy. And Dread is a game that includes a jenga tower for tension purposes, so there's that.

I used to think that Griffin is a really railroady DM, but gently caress, it's best for it as the podcast they wanna make. Like they said in that discussion episode, what works at a tabletop isn't the same as what works in a podcast.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

flatluigi posted:

It depends on the particular thing you're looking for but for me it comes down to giving players good input and having simple enough mechanics that encourage the sorts of results you want. I really dig apocalypse world, so I'll run over how that does it. It thinks of an RPG as a sort of conversation between players, the system and the GM, so instead of turns it just has the DM says what's happening and pushes the player to respond, then they do something, then something else happens, etc. It breaks every sort of player action into a "Move" which has a trigger in the narrative, but goes underneath, so you describe what happens in the story then use the right move for it, and they're designed to shape how characters act and fit the tone of the game. There's different moves for getting in a shootout than for beating the crap out of a defenseless person. Every roll is just 2d6 and add the right stat for the move. If you roll 10 or more, it goes well. If you roll 6 or under, things go badly (not just you fail, next turn, but things that still move the story forwards). On 7-9, you partially succeed, getting something close to what you wanted, or having something complicate things further. A lot of the time, the player's the one who picks what the result actually is. I'll chuck in an example.

GM: So Max, You've got a War Boy on the front of your car, and he's raising a harpoon at Furiosa with a look of glee in his eyes. What do you do?

Max: I'm going to swerve hard and try to throw him off. That's Act Under Fire right?

GM: Yeah, roll plus Cool.

(Max gets a 7)

GM: You steer hard, but the ground is really uncertain, and you start to lose control. Let's make a choice: Do you brake and send the Warboy flying into the caboose with you and Furiosa, or do you hit into the canyon wall and damage the engine?

That's the gist of it, although I'm glossing over the design of the moves themselves, character classes, etc. But my point is that a good system structures the narrative to produce more interesting results and give more meaning to decisions. As for good tactical combat, that just comes down to good game design, same as you'd see in a video game but with smaller numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

chaos rhames posted:

Apocalypse World chat

I don't see how that's functionally different than how they're currently playing in The Adventure Zone and it's basically what I meant exactly by facilitating instead of actually adding to gameplay v:shobon:v

Kojiro posted:

I used to think that Griffin is a really railroady DM, but gently caress, it's best for it as the podcast they wanna make. Like they said in that discussion episode, what works at a tabletop isn't the same as what works in a podcast.

Yeah, I honestly didn't realize exactly how much they consider the podcast format when playing, but it makes a lot of sense given how well it comes across.