Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Unexpected dental crown. Which was stupid. Went in for a filling but found it to be a poor option for the tooth. The cool thing is that they had a CAD CEREC milling machine. I had a permanent crown in less than two hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

New medication. Let's hear it for insurance.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

drat dude that's crazy. There's hope though because the FDA or whoever is making it easier to greenlight generics so you won't be paying Shkreli's inflated prices.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Blackchamber posted:

drat dude that's crazy. There's hope though because the FDA or whoever is making it easier to greenlight generics so you won't be paying Shkreli's inflated prices.

Yeah, my pre-insurance med cost is about $3500/month, but my co-pay is only about $60. The big ones are still very much in patent protection, so I'm not sure the generic stuff will help me, but it's good news in general for sure!

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Subjunctive posted:

Good lord I'm glad I'm Canadian.

:canada:

Almost bought a pair of new shoes (Adidas NMD) today but I couldn't bring myself to stand in line with a bunch of the most stereotypical hypebeasts imaginable (also I was at work and missed the drop :negative:)

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Mar 17, 2016

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Subjunctive posted:

Indeed! Not as dramatic, bu5 I went from a $145/month prescription copay to a $14/month copay thanks to insurance.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Adidas AOP camo jacket. The pattern itself has an interesting history: when filming the 1984 film Red Dawn, the production crew used photos of Russians in Afghanistan wearing the camo pattern kamuflirovannyi letnyi maskirovochnyi kombinezon (KLMK) as reference, as they had no access to the actual uniforms the USSR was using at the time.

(Ref. Pic of Soviet soldiers
In KMLK).

The problem was that the pics they used were in black & white so they had no idea what the colors were, so production took a stab in the dark & chose their own color scheme.

Bonus purchase: earlier in February I happened to be at a local army surplus store & found some uniforms in that pattern.

I doubt these are the actual uniforms from the film (I've heard that some companies got hold of the pattern & made repros) but it was too cool to pass up.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

Optimus Crux Lite. It saves .4 ounces off of the regular Crux! And it's ~4 ounces lighter than what I've got right now.

First backpacking trip of the year is in six weeks. Time to :homebrew:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ahhh, a midieval torture device!

colas
Feb 14, 2007

No it's a sprinkler that defends itself from squirrels

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I Am Not Spor posted:

Optimus Crux Lite. It saves .4 ounces off of the regular Crux! And it's ~4 ounces lighter than what I've got right now.

Nice buttplug.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

I Am Not Spor posted:

the rst of you are idiots.

That's a bike seat.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

for mad max

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

For playing expensive video games Racing Simulators with goons. Hopefully Imola will be coming soon, and Le Mans is planned for later this year!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Slimy Hog posted:

Nice buttplug.

VendaGoat posted:

the rst of you are idiots.

That's a bike seat.

:ssh: it's a backpacking stove.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Geoj posted:

I think it's a rotor for a small helicopter. Agree to disagree.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Geoj posted:

That doesn't mean that I was wrong.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I Am Not Spor posted:

Nice! I got a Jetboil Flash for $20 from a friend that he thought was stuck on an old fuel canister. Not the lightest option, but drat does it get water boiled quickly.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

HaB posted:

Ordered, but not yet actually signed the purchase paperwork:

2016 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium.

Should be arriving in June sometime. Had to order because I wanted a 6-speed Manual.

My 3rd Subaru.

I test drove a Touring 2.0 XT and it was an absolute blast. If the 2.5i is anywhere remotely similar, I bet you'll love it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I test drove a Touring 2.0 XT and it was an absolute blast. If the 2.5i is anywhere remotely similar, I bet you'll love it.

2.5 felt mushy and a pain to get up to highway speed. I was keen to buy a Forester but then I drove the admittedly slightly smaller Toureg with a 200hp 2L turbo AWD and it felt quicker, more nimble and simply more fun to drive for the same price.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

Anything can be a butt plug with enough Vaseline and willpower.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006

Android Bicyclist posted:

Nice! I got a Jetboil Flash for $20 from a friend that he thought was stuck on an old fuel canister. Not the lightest option, but drat does it get water boiled quickly.

Always wanted to try Jetboil, but $$$$$. My old stove was a Primus Yellowstone Classic from the stone age; the Optimus should be a major improvement.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

I Am Not Spor posted:

Always wanted to try Jetboil, but $$$$$. My old stove was a Primus Yellowstone Classic from the stone age; the Optimus should be a major improvement.

Been wanting to try a Kelly Kettle. Frankly I have no excuse.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe
Socks!

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Inspector 34 posted:

I have almost this exact same car and it's pretty alright. Ours is the base model though, so don't know if that changes too much besides interior and uglier wheels. The ride is pretty nice and it's big enough for our big ol dog.

In any case, considering how gutless it is, it's a major gas hog. We struggle to average over 18 or 19 mpg in the city and can maaaaaybe top out around 27mpg on the highway. I'm told the automatic gets drastically better fuel economy, like 8-10mpg better, but the girlfriend really really wanted to keep driving a manual. I think she feels it's less of a grocery getter if she can bang gears on her way to work.

Aside from a ~1 hour ride out of the city to my dad's once a week, it effectively WILL be a grocery getter for me. I take public transportation to work, and Uber almost everywhere else, because Uber is cheaper than parking. But yeah I was aware of the mileage, etc before I bought it. My 2nd Scoob was an Outback - in the highest trim level - and while plush - the absurdity of paying that much for a grocery getter wound up hitting me pretty hard. Only reason I went above base on the Forester was the moonroof, which I will actually use a lot. Glad to hear it feels large - I have music gear to move around sometimes.

LingcodKilla posted:

2.5 felt mushy and a pain to get up to highway speed. I was keen to buy a Forester but then I drove the admittedly slightly smaller Toureg with a 200hp 2L turbo AWD and it felt quicker, more nimble and simply more fun to drive for the same price.

The Manual or the Auto? I had almost the opposite experience. The Toureg felt sluggish to me, and the Forester was nice and zippy. I actually can't figure why the Forester has a 6th gear, because it definitely didn't seem to need one - even at 80mph. I also test drove the CrossTrek which is definitely underpowered.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The Outback I had came with the 2.0XT with a CVT. An impressive power plant. I had a lot of fun test driving the Forester, but it feels a good bit different from the 2.0XT.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Just ordered the two parts I need to make my new old car legit for the roads. Old exhaust had rotted through so I have a new stainless one on the way (this isn't the exact one).

And it has a sticky brake caliper so there's a reconditioned one on the way.

Part of the 'fun' of owning an oldish car is getting replacement bits for it.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Nice fartcan, I bet it goes well with the NOS stickers and Altezzas.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Thanks, I'm hoping to be the coolest kid at the drive-thru meet.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Geoj posted:

I bought you a joke catcher, with over-head action.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Toilet paper is probably cheaper, my dude.

From where?

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
Tickets to see motherfuckin'

FISHBONE

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Needed more

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Vegan chicken salt.

I feel that as a carnivore vegans are insulting my heritage by making non-animal versions of animal things.

As an aside, what's it taste like?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

88h88 posted:

Vegan chicken salt.

I feel that as a carnivore vegans are insulting my heritage by making non-animal versions of animal things.

As an aside, what's it taste like?

Kinda like chicken bullion. It goes well with just about everything, I eat it on popcorn a lot.

The fact that it's vegan is completely incidental, I don't think non-vegan chicken salt exists.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Wanamingo posted:

Needed more

I wonder how many gallons of chicken tears you need to produce one of these boxes of chicken salt

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006

Panda Time posted:

Been wanting to try a Kelly Kettle. Frankly I have no excuse.

Isn't backpacking and camping really about spending money on poo poo you don't need?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

HaB posted:

Aside from a ~1 hour ride out of the city to my dad's once a week, it effectively WILL be a grocery getter for me. I take public transportation to work, and Uber almost everywhere else, because Uber is cheaper than parking. But yeah I was aware of the mileage, etc before I bought it. My 2nd Scoob was an Outback - in the highest trim level - and while plush - the absurdity of paying that much for a grocery getter wound up hitting me pretty hard. Only reason I went above base on the Forester was the moonroof, which I will actually use a lot. Glad to hear it feels large - I have music gear to move around sometimes.

The Manual or the Auto? I had almost the opposite experience. The Toureg felt sluggish to me, and the Forester was nice and zippy. I actually can't figure why the Forester has a 6th gear, because it definitely didn't seem to need one - even at 80mph. I also test drove the CrossTrek which is definitely underpowered.

The Outback I had came with the 2.0XT with a CVT. An impressive power plant. I had a lot of fun test driving the Forester, but it feels a good bit different from the 2.0XT.

Autos to Autos. It may just be the CVT.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

I Am Not Spor posted:

Isn't backpacking and camping really about spending money on poo poo you don't need?

Exactly. It's not like you use the poo poo any other time.

Gee, I can use my expensive as gently caress camp stove, with bottled gas that costs $Texas, or I could just use my stove, in my kitchen.

Oh the whimsy of modern life in a first world nation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

VendaGoat posted:

Exactly. It's not like you use the poo poo any other time.

Gee, I can use my expensive as gently caress camp stove, with bottled gas that costs $Texas, or I could just use my stove, in my kitchen.

Oh the whimsy of modern life in a first world nation!

Some of my favorite clothing is my camping/hiking gear from REI.

I have two of these amazing smart wool shirts that are super comfy, really durable and very warm. I have a pair of REI hiking pants that are my weight lifting pants.
And all hiking/camping clothing doubles as wonderful trip clothes.
As in cat drug trip.