Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Keetron posted:

Explicit part of my pledge is obedience to the laws of the land, the laws of the GL and those of my own lodge, in that order.

This gives for some interesting discussions that normally close with "let's work to change those laws without breaking them".

I guess I misspoke. I was referring to the scuttlebutt and rumored threats from the grand master, not obedience to the laws of the grand lodge. I just have issues with tyranny and duties to obey a person. It's masonry, not infantry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

The Grand Lodge of Washington is aware of the events regarding the Grand Lodges of Georgia and Tennessee, and is extremely concerned. They will be issuing an emergency statement in 8 days regarding the matter at hand.

Sayeth the District 2 Deputy of the Grand Lodge of Washington, F&AM.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Kilo147 posted:

They will be issuing an emergency statement in 8 days

Just a reminder that nothing moves quickly on Masonry.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

Colonial Air Force posted:

Just a reminder that nothing moves quickly on Masonry.

Aint that the truth.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I haven't been to the temple in 6 months. I was having trouble memorizing the EA degree, which this year they started requiring us to memorize in full, and I was getting no help from the active brethren. They'd just leave me in a library while they did prep for other rituals upstairs.

This group never seems to do anything BUT ritual prep. There are no brotherhood activities, and I don't see why I should have to organize them when they haven't even contacted me to see what's up or what my trouble is.

I don't know about demitting, but I don't think I'm going to keep up on dues. Maybe someday I'll get more active with a more supportive group but as it stands, I'm out.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Beerdeer posted:

I haven't been to the temple in 6 months. I was having trouble memorizing the EA degree, which this year they started requiring us to memorize in full, and I was getting no help from the active brethren. They'd just leave me in a library while they did prep for other rituals upstairs.

This group never seems to do anything BUT ritual prep. There are no brotherhood activities, and I don't see why I should have to organize them when they haven't even contacted me to see what's up or what my trouble is.

I don't know about demitting, but I don't think I'm going to keep up on dues. Maybe someday I'll get more active with a more supportive group but as it stands, I'm out.

I'm sorry to hear that, brother! Even during this busy period for us, the brethren at my lodge took time to work on my catechism at least once a week...

Are you required to learn it all mouth-to-ear?

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Beerdeer posted:

Have you considered speaking with your proposer or any other brother that you get along with / trust in the lodge? Failing that, what about other lodges nearby? One of them might be better suited to your needs. Then again, a little shock of 'I feel a bit left out, could you guys actually give me a hand and y'know, be there to help please?' might prompt them back into shape.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

Beerdeer posted:

Hey that super sucks and I'm sorry to hear that. But if you are going to drop out, you should do it the right way and demit.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

I'm sorry to hear that, brother! Even during this busy period for us, the brethren at my lodge took time to work on my catechism at least once a week...

Are you required to learn it all mouth-to-ear?

Luckily I have a catechism. But I take it down every couple of weeks and then wonder why bother.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
That's an odd way to do things in my opinion. In our jurisdiction (NC), there is NO written reference at all until after you're made a Master Mason, and even then it's all in code. You can't learn the catechism UNLESS there's another brother helping you learn it. I feel like that instills more of a sense of fraternity than "here take this book and come back to us when you've learned it."

Yikes.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

In CA (and I think in I've seen it here in NH), we had print outs of the catechism in code for the degree we just went through, and I sat with the secretary once a week going over the whole thing until I knew it. We were also fortunate in that we did not have to pay dues until we were raised to Master.

Beerdeer, I would genuinely bring up your concerns to an officer within the lodge. Be polite, but be firm and direct.

Also, what state are you in? There might be a Brother in this very thread who could help you, even over the phone.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I'm also here in CA but hate giving any of my candidates the written work until they have a very, very firm handle on it from mouth to ear. Maybe I'm just a grumpy Past Master but I never want anyone to think Masonry can be taught from a book. I think the process of sitting down and working with your coach, asking questions and learning about their experiences, is more valuable than the actual work itself.

Obviously the words aren't the secret of Masonry, but still

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I had a coded book after every degree in Alaska, coded. Still took personal assistance because you need help learning it even well enough to read the thing.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
In Maryland, we also have little coded books (shorthand, really, it's not terribly hard to decipher) with some of the more sensitive information left blank or reduced to the first letter of each word, so personal instruction is still necessary. I find it helps me a lot, as I find it hard to memorize anything if I don't have access to some resources. The mouth to ear lessons ensure I'm learning it word perfect, too.

It works for us.

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Some celestial event. No- no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should have sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea

I have all my grandfather's masonic stuff; uniform, sash, medals, books and all that. Are there secret illuminati mason hit squads coming after me now to preserve your secrets?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Waffleoppalus posted:

I have all my grandfather's masonic stuff; uniform, sash, medals, books and all that. Are there secret illuminati mason hit squads coming after me now to preserve your secrets?

Y....

No.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Waffleoppalus posted:

Best case scenario, his original lodge may want some of it for the archives or to be buried or whatever. Worst case scenario, we sneak multiple hungry goats into your house while you are at work and leave them to eat everything. Unless you plan on joining, we really don't care about the books, our greatest secret is when cigar and whiskey fellowship night is, though if they are old enough his original lodge may be again be interested. Historical documents and all that. We are wayyyy into our own history.

Personally, and depending on how much you liked your grandfather, I'd frame all of that and have a cool display.Unless you're considering becoming a mason, in which case, wear that poo poo as soon as you can. Be baller as gently caress at meetings.

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Some celestial event. No- no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should have sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea

Kilo147 posted:

Best case scenario, his original lodge may want some of it for the archives or to be buried or whatever. Worst case scenario, we sneak multiple hungry goats into your house while you are at work and leave them to eat everything. Unless you plan on joining, we really don't care about the books, our greatest secret is when cigar and whiskey fellowship night is, though if they are old enough his original lodge may be again be interested. Historical documents and all that. We are wayyyy into our own history.

Personally, and depending on how much you liked your grandfather, I'd frame all of that and have a cool display.Unless you're considering becoming a mason, in which case, wear that poo poo as soon as you can. Be baller as gently caress at meetings.

Well poo poo, I hate goats. The oldest date I can see on anything is 1962, which is kinda old to me, but maybe not so much to an organization that goes back to the medieval ages? It's pretty much all I have from my grandfather so I think I'll hang on to it.

Plus it does in fact look baller as gently caress

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Kilo147 posted:

Be baller as gently caress at meetings.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Waffleoppalus posted:

Well poo poo, I hate goats. The oldest date I can see on anything is 1962, which is kinda old to me, but maybe not so much to an organization that goes back to the medieval ages? It's pretty much all I have from my grandfather so I think I'll hang on to it.

Plus it does in fact look baller as gently caress

Ahahahahahaha, medieval ages..

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Kilo147 posted:

Ahahahahahaha, medieval ages..

Knights Templar were founded in the medieval ages :colbert:

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

COOL CORN posted:

Knights Templar were founded in the medieval ages :colbert:

Yeah, a lot of our ceremony and language come from that time, and even earlier, but the modern Masonic lodge and practices didn't really come about til what, the 1600s or 1700s?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Kilo147 posted:

Yeah, a lot of our ceremony and language come from that time, and even earlier, but the modern Masonic lodge and practices didn't really come about til what, the 1600s or 1700s?

Earliest landmarks are from the 1490s if I recall correctly, maybe 1530s or so. But "Modern" Speculative Freemasonry is an Enlightenment era thing, late 1700s. Lodges exist long before that though which were both operative and speculative. Tracking an exact date for our fraternity is impossible, because "time immemorial" means basically "nobody remembers the time."

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

We can trace it to the early 18th Century, and based on what came from that era, it's likely that it started in the late 17th Century.

There are some outliers, like the Regius Poem (assuming it's actually Masonic), and an operative lodge that started in 1598 and later became speculative, but basically that's it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Technically the UGLE was founded in 1717, so there's that.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I've always been vaguely curious about freemasons and such-- my grandfather was a mason, something I only found out after he died. He had a small apron on a stand at his funeral, and some other accoutrements that I can't recall. As far as I know, my father (his son) never joined, although I've not brought it up to him.

Since before I was born, he lived on Cape Cod away from our family, and we'd visit now and again-- we were never particularly close. I'd reckon that there wouldn't be any way to get information about what he did from the lodge, would there?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Teddybear posted:

I've always been vaguely curious about freemasons and such-- my grandfather was a mason, something I only found out after he died. He had a small apron on a stand at his funeral, and some other accoutrements that I can't recall. As far as I know, my father (his son) never joined, although I've not brought it up to him.

Since before I was born, he lived on Cape Cod away from our family, and we'd visit now and again-- we were never particularly close. I'd reckon that there wouldn't be any way to get information about what he did from the lodge, would there?

Call the Lodge if you can, you'll want to contact the secretary. They will be thrilled to talk to you, especially if his passing was recent and they knew him.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Paramemetic posted:

Call the Lodge if you can, you'll want to contact the secretary. They will be thrilled to talk to you, especially if his passing was recent and they knew him.

It wasn't, it was several years ago. I had my memory jogged in a dumb way and remembered that I never really figured out what was up with that side of him.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Teddybear posted:

It wasn't, it was several years ago. I had my memory jogged in a dumb way and remembered that I never really figured out what was up with that side of him.

I'm almost certain they'd still be happy to talk to you.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

I'm almost certain they'd still be happy to talk to you.

Seriously, we loving love talking to people. You can't really be a Mason without being a people person.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I might do that, then. Probably after I ask my dad if he knows more about it. I doubt he's a member; y'all ain't THAT secret.

Y'all ain't that secret, right? :ohdear:

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Teddybear posted:

I might do that, then. Probably after I ask my dad if he knows more about it. I doubt he's a member; y'all ain't THAT secret.

Y'all ain't that secret, right? :ohdear:

We usually have some sort of sign out in front. If you can't find us, you aren't trying. Also, if you find your Grandfather's lodge is local, find out when out stated meetings are and join us for dinner! We'll feed you, tell you stories, answer questions, and did I mention food?

Edit: Actually, if you ever want, just let someone at the lodge know ahead of time, feel free to stop by before a meeting and have dinner with us. We usually cook too much anyway and it's not like a lodge keeps a supply of carry out styrofoam containers or anything.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 24, 2016

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
You mentioned Cape Cod... try here:

http://www.massfreemasonry.org/index.tpl?&ng_view=34

That'll help you maybe find his local lodge so you can contact the Lodge Secretary, or if you can't find his local lodge, reach out to the Grand Secretary! If there's one things Masons do well, it's keep records.

=====

In personal news, I was just appointed District Inspector Instructor of the Knights Templar for this year. It's pretty neat that I get to be the guy who tells everybody they're doing things wrong. :cool: And I'm the only guy in about a 100 mile radius that gets to wear one of these on my uniform!

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Massachusetts just replied to Georgia and Tennessee.

http://us12.campaign-archive2.com/?u=4103fb81b8a6f015cc0f0a507&id=5cffe1f6f4

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

A little tepid, but at least it's a statement.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Colonial Air Force posted:

A little tepid, but at least it's a statement.

I dunno, this part just screams to me as a super polite gently caress you

Grand Lodge of Massachusetts posted:

It is of no concern to us whether or not a man is gay, as long as he is free born, of lawful age, and well recommended.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What does free born mean

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

ICHIBAHN posted:

What does free born mean

Not born in to slavery. Not terribly applicable anymore.

The thought was that a slave could be compelled to report the secrets of Freemasonry to his master.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Also used in a more broad sense nowadays. As in, not born into a government that would compel you to reveal the secrets of Masonry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Why the antiquated language, in this case and generally?