Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Ansazi and Paperclip were every bit as great as I remembered.

"No! You listen to me you son of a bitch!" :allears:

Also, D.P.O., holy poo poo it's Giovanni Ribisi and Jack Black!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

WMain00 posted:

Just caught up with the final episode and what the gently caress. Just what the gently caress?

I almost had a bottle of whisky out for every time the phrase "Alien DNA" was used. I reckon I would have been on the floor by the end of it. They just seemed to piss over everything. All over the original series, all over the new one, all over any sort of intelligence or pre-planning or thought process they had for it. Just literally "Hey, is this your favourite show? Well watch closely as we piss all over it."

I think my brain left at some point. I think my brain went "gently caress this poo poo," packed a bag and exited. Whoever wrote this pile of crap needs to be taken out to a wall and shot. It just didn't make sense. Everyone is going to die except anyone who has magical-alien-dna (tm) because CSM wants to depopulate the planet just cause. Then toward the end of the episode it basically throw in as many buzz words as possible. Alien DNA, stem cells, crispr-cas (apparently a relatively new thing according to my girlfriend that is commonly used in day to day science today, but the way it was used in the x-files is entirely wrong).

And then...well...what exactly is the end result? The X Files was never really designed for a sort of end-of-the world scenario series and I can't stand agent youth face and bitch-Einstein (I call her that because her character is extremely annoying and whoever thought that Einstein would be a good name also needs shot).

The entire series has been a disaster. It's been an actual real life scenario of why some favourite tv series should be just best left dead. The only one in the series who seemed to be at least trying to put some sort of heart into it was Gillian Anderson. Duchovny seemed to be sleepwalking through the entire thing, putting forward wild ideas completely irrelevant to the plot (I can only presume the magic mushroom thing was his idea). The ending was basically a gigantic poo poo. It didn't try to present itself as anything else, it just literally was poo poo, with Chris Carter presenting it proudly, as if he had made a work of art.

I do hope the Fox executives looked at this and went "Haha, nope" and that'll be the end of it. I don't think I want more X-Files anymore. :(

If hyperbole was energy, you could power a small city with this post.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Ansazi and Paperclip were every bit as great as I remembered.

"No! You listen to me you son of a bitch!" :allears:

Also, D.P.O., holy poo poo it's Giovanni Ribisi and Jack Black!

The funniest thing about DPO is that it's Giovanni Ribisi who's bullying Jack Black.

Takei is Okay
Sep 3, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

If hyperbole was energy, you could power a small city with this post.

I dunno man, I agree with every word of it.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

WMain00 posted:

The entire series has been a disaster. It's been an actual real life scenario of why some favourite tv series should be just best left dead. The only one in the series who seemed to be at least trying to put some sort of heart into it was Gillian Anderson. Duchovny seemed to be sleepwalking through the entire thing, putting forward wild ideas completely irrelevant to the plot (I can only presume the magic mushroom thing was his idea). The ending was basically a gigantic poo poo. It didn't try to present itself as anything else, it just literally was poo poo, with Chris Carter presenting it proudly, as if he had made a work of art.

You're kidding right? Anderson was incredibly wooden throughout the show. So was Duchovny for a fair bit, but he at least seemed to enjoy himself in certain episodes. He also doesn't sound like he smokes a pack a day.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

The funniest thing about DPO is that it's Giovanni Ribisi who's bullying Jack Black.

Ribisi is awesome in DPO. I know he's been in a bunch of stuff but I only really know him from Saving Private Ryan.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Since there was some Millennium talk, season 2 is one of the single best shows I've ever seen. It had its lows and its dated as hell now, but even the cheesiness of some episodes (murderous dogs, anyone?) was still carried beautifully by Henriksen and the rest of the cast, the cinematography is top notch for conveying an air of menace most of the time, the sound work is great, and it has two of the best episodes of television ever produced: The one with the devils in the diner, and the Halloween special. That monologue was loving intense.

Season 3 is hot garbage, though, and season 1 was a bit repetitive by the end but would be perfectly at home alongside say, True Detective, if they did a HD remaster - though it isn't of comparable quality. Honestly, I doubt they ever will, but I would happily drop a hundred a piece on HD remasters ala the new X-Files blurays for the first two seasons of Millennium.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm going through the later seasons and I only realize now that I underappreciated Doggett, because like most people at the time I resented him for the crime of Not Being Mulder. I always kind of liked him anyway, but I never realized what he contributed until a rewatch. His sense of duty is great, and he's extremely good at his job. He brings a fresh perspective as an experienced former NYC cop, and stuff like him going through the entire X-Files cabinet as soon as he gets assigned are really nice touches to his characterization. Really what's missing from the show without Mulder is levity; the show gets super serious for a while as Doggett isn't exactly one for witty one-liners and banter, in the same way that the very early seasons were before the show first found its groove. Still, I like him a lot better now than I remembered.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Got around the watching the last two episodes of the reboot and holy moley were they bad like impossibly bad

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Octy posted:

You're kidding right? Anderson was incredibly wooden throughout the show. So was Duchovny for a fair bit, but he at least seemed to enjoy himself in certain episodes. He also doesn't sound like he smokes a pack a day.

It's weird, 'cos this is the exact opposite of how I feel about both of them.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

I'm going through the later seasons and I only realize now that I underappreciated Doggett, because like most people at the time I resented him for the crime of Not Being Mulder. I always kind of liked him anyway, but I never realized what he contributed until a rewatch. His sense of duty is great, and he's extremely good at his job. He brings a fresh perspective as an experienced former NYC cop, and stuff like him going through the entire X-Files cabinet as soon as he gets assigned are really nice touches to his characterization. Really what's missing from the show without Mulder is levity; the show gets super serious for a while as Doggett isn't exactly one for witty one-liners and banter, in the same way that the very early seasons were before the show first found its groove. Still, I like him a lot better now than I remembered.

I always liked the Doggett character mainly because Robert Patrick is a really great, committed actor, but I think the problem was a mix of like you said Not Being Mulder and the bleaker tone, but also his arrival corresponded and was tied in with stuff like the really terrible super soldier storyline that was kind of his version of Samantha. I actually wished they had gone further with Scully being the fully committed conspiracy theorist now to offset him better.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I like Doggett a lot. He was just a good character constantly let down by poor writing.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

corn in the fridge posted:

Got around the watching the last two episodes of the reboot and holy moley were they bad like impossibly bad

Wish I could empty quote this. At least Babylon could be forgotten as a one off, dumb as it was, but My Struggle pt. II is just so absurdly incoherent and strung together.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That old conspiracy doctor guy was introduced for no reason at all, wasn't he? He had one scene.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

My Struggle makes me long for the days of the Super Soldiers.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Loomer posted:

Since there was some Millennium talk, season 2 is one of the single best shows I've ever seen.

Season 3 is hot garbage, though, and season 1 was a bit repetitive by the end but would be perfectly at home alongside say, True Detective, if they did a HD remaster

For all that Season 3 of Millennium is a total mess, (my god, the KISS episode? That's also a "parody" of the Scream films? What were they thinking???) the Tracy Middendorf episode, Dawrin's Eye, is actually pretty drat good. The Season 3 Christmas episode, The Sound Of Snow, is also really good, and would have fit in completely with Season 2.

So, like, if you include the Lucy Butler episode, and the one where they go to Emma's hometown (AKA, the only good Emma episode), that's just about 15% of the season that's worth watching.

So if anything, Chris Carter's improved with this season of the X-Files.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

I actually wished they had gone further with Scully being the fully committed conspiracy theorist now to offset him better.

Isn't that basically what they tried to do with Reyes?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Open Source Idiom posted:

For all that Season 3 of Millennium is a total mess, (my god, the KISS episode? That's also a "parody" of the Scream films? What were they thinking???) the Tracy Middendorf episode, Dawrin's Eye, is actually pretty drat good. The Season 3 Christmas episode, The Sound Of Snow, is also really good, and would have fit in completely with Season 2.

So, like, if you include the Lucy Butler episode, and the one where they go to Emma's hometown (AKA, the only good Emma episode), that's just about 15% of the season that's worth watching.

So if anything, Chris Carter's improved with this season of the X-Files.

There were 2 Lucy Butler episodes, both pretty good, and Borrowed Time (Frank dealing with the loss of Catherine and a possibly vengeful angel determining Jordan's fate) is one of my favorite eps of the series.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed the one where James Marsters plays a mentally unbalanced Gulf War vet who kidnaps Peter Doyle's daughter.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It wasn't Terry O'Quinn's daughter? All I remember is young southern Spike.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I just finished:

The List - most boring episode so far. 5/10
2Shy - Creepy and good. 8/10
The Walk - why is it so hard for TV shows to get military uniforms right. Hell, I would help them with it for free. 7/10
Oubliette - Solid MOTW, very satisfying to see Mulder shoot the dude. 7/10

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I would listen to their one album and all the non-album singles and B-Sides.

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
Put me on the watching old episodes makes me realise how good they are train (and how poo poo in comparison the new stuff is). I'm really loving re-watching their relationship evolve :swoon:

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Miranda posted:

Put me on the watching old episodes makes me realise how good they are train (and how poo poo in comparison the new stuff is). I'm really loving re-watching their relationship evolve :swoon:

I've been hopping around the episodes, going off a few top 10 lists and such, and having a good time. I'm impressed by how little dead space there is in the episodes I've been watching. Everything keeps moving along without any major sags.

I watched Triangle recently, and I realized that shows just don't do enough of that kind of clever blocking and camera work anymore. It was awesome!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

woodch posted:

I've been hopping around the episodes, going off a few top 10 lists and such, and having a good time. I'm impressed by how little dead space there is in the episodes I've been watching. Everything keeps moving along without any major sags.

I'm normally fine with spoilers, but I feel like the Netflix episode descriptions kind of ruin a fair number of episodes.

"Oh this episode is about killer parasites in the Arctic! Unfortunately we don't find this out until like halfway through the episode".

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I love how goofy the Season 8 credit sequence is with Mulder falling and flailing through the void. Never fails to make me laugh.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

For those who don't read the front page:

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/xfiles-screaming-mulder/

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

I'm on season 6 and it's my first time through most of the show and I just have to say I loved Kritschgau's MGS-esque rundown to Mulder. It even had real footage mixed in.

I feel like Kojima just loves him some X-Files.

FrakkinCylon
Apr 25, 2008

My folks went to Caprica and all I got was this frakking avatar.
This thread, along with season 10, has inspired my fiance and I to rewatch the series, skipping some of the lame eps of course.

We just finished Beyond The Sea, and Jesus tap dancing Christ I had forgotten how amazingly good this show once was.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

FrakkinCylon posted:

This thread, along with season 10, has inspired my fiance and I to rewatch the series, skipping some of the lame eps of course.

We just finished Beyond The Sea, and Jesus tap dancing Christ I had forgotten how amazingly good this show once was.

Yeah seriously.

I think a lot of people like to complain about what happened to the show but the only thing that's really sad about it is that nobody has since made a show that anywhere approaches the tone, writing, and character of the original series. A lot of shows have tried to reheat it but it's always really bad (imho); I'm looking at you, Bones.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The X-Files is a pretty amazing show up until the Syndicate dies and then (the mytharc at least) goes downhill. The first movie is good also.

Imo if you just watch right until that two parter where that happens and then quit you'll be pretty satisfied with the show. That's usually what I do on re-runs.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ginette Reno posted:

The X-Files is a pretty amazing show up until the Syndicate dies and then (the mytharc at least) goes downhill. The first movie is good also.

It's still really weird that they finished off everything in the middle of the season. Like have one mytharc episode with a little bit of the exposition you put into that 2 parter, and then make the 2 parter the finale.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Ginette Reno posted:

Imo if you just watch right until that two parter where that happens and then quit you'll be pretty satisfied with the show. That's usually what I do on re-runs.

If you stop there you'll miss Monday, Arcadia, Three of a Kind, and Field Trip. When I watch season 6, I skip the mytharc episodes and watch the others.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Season 7 is one of my favorite seasons because of just how weird it is.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Oh man, it's still weird when they move to California and all of a sudden Mulder is wearing short sleeve shirts. I don't know how they could have done it, but I'd have appreciated an in-universe explanation as to why the landscape had suddenly changed from dark forest to blinding desert. I know I'm just sperging a bit but I could never get over such a glaring change.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah, it's not like they work for the FBI, where being moved across country would be a thing that could happen. Especially to a couple of meddling kids the main branch wants out of their hair. To be fair, I guess that would necessitate either a new supporting cast or a lot of transfers.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Well, it's not like there aren't weird artifacts with Canada serving as the entire lower 48 for 5 seasons before that.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Well, that's what I mean should have been the explanation, except Mulder has the same apartment and theres still all these visual references to the capital. Where's the realism in my sci fi show, Carter?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I always liked the SoCal settings in the later seasons. :shrug:

• Locked thread