Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

War Eagle posted:

I did try the Frost Ring Arena last night and it was easy, but not terribly interesting. The sort of thing you do while you're watching something on TV I guess. I had no idea what I was doing so I started with this guide since I had a lot of the cards: http://fiveshards.com/battle-royale-armies-of-moth/ Lost one game in the entire run, and it generally wasn't even close.

You get a special sleeve for perfecting the Arena, so I recommend grabbing that before you give it up completely. Also, now that you've cleared it, you can skip T1. I recommend it, because the rewards are crap.

But yeah, congrats on the 3 VKs. That'll open up a ton of options in Blood for you. VKs are amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
At this point I'm doing 1-2 arena runs a day, just grinding out in the hopes of one day finally getting Uruunaz. It's bound to show up sometime, right?

Right?

:smithicide:

God of Evil Cows
Feb 23, 2007

Let this be our final battle!

Valatar posted:

At this point I'm doing 1-2 arena runs a day, just grinding out in the hopes of one day finally getting Uruunaz. It's bound to show up sometime, right?

Right?

:smithicide:

I have done hundreds of arena runs and I have never seen that drat dragon. His appearance rate has to be less than a tenth of a percent. I wouldn't be surprised if it actually 0% these days.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I feel like when they first launched it he had a much higher spawn chance, because I fought him twice and then after like the first week, I never saw him again.

It seems like competitive drafts just don't fire a lot of the time in this game, and when they do, they always have people just opening packs and dropping. Kind of super frustrating.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Sigma-X posted:

It seems like competitive drafts just don't fire a lot of the time in this game, and when they do, they always have people just opening packs and dropping. Kind of super frustrating.

The unfortunate consequence of being nearly 8 months into a PvP set. Fingers crossed, it hopefully won't happen again.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Sigma-X posted:

I have literally zero interest in playing set 3 at this point, I'm somewhere between letting my tickets expire and not even willing to sit around to see if I'm one of the people getting a bye for extra packs before I drop.

Set 3 was my least drafted set by far, I really hope set 4 changes my attitude.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

katkillad2 posted:

I have literally zero interest in playing set 3 at this point, I'm somewhere between letting my tickets expire and not even willing to sit around to see if I'm one of the people getting a bye for extra packs before I drop.

Set 3 was my least drafted set by far, I really hope set 4 changes my attitude.

I've let a lot of tickets expire. Every time I come back and draft this set I'm reminded of how loving terrible it is. Seriously, the best set they put out was set 1 by a longshot for limited.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I really enjoyed the throwback Set 1 drafts they ran for a week or so last year, hope we get more of those but I hope more that they can keep to a regular release schedule - Set 4 is gonna be good for me because no matter what it's just something new, maybe if we're lucky Set 5 will drop within 3-4 months after and there won't be a spider in sight!

Edit; also kinda cool Set 4 spoiler - I like seeing Empower on common cards

Grim fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Mar 15, 2016

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Thoom posted:

The unfortunate consequence of being nearly 8 months into a PvP set. Fingers crossed, it hopefully won't happen again.

Well, there's also currently a significant fraction of the playerbase who have free weekly drafts that they might as well use for some cards but aren't necessarily interested in playing out. I know that while I try to actually play the draft if I have time (if nothing else, I might land a couple of extra packs), I'm mostly in this for the PvE and the free draft for life is primarily interesting to me for card access for PvE decks. I'm basically never interested in playing out three full best of three rounds, so it's just as well that I nearly always lose in the first round.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

malkav11 posted:

Well, there's also currently a significant fraction of the playerbase who have free weekly drafts

I actually don't think a ton of people get kickstarter drafts anymore; at most there were only ever 2090 codes given out to people who dropped enough money, with another 1958 codes for 1-year worth of weekly drafts (which if they were redeemed right away would be well expired by now)

I do at least 4 comp drafts per week (because I'm an idiot with more dollars than sense) mostly on the weekend but not always and most of the time I don't recognize the names of my opponents, there are still a bunch of people drafting despite how long in the tooth Set 3 might be at this point

Anyway, yea if I'm not happy with my deck I will just drop before the first round starts at this point - that'll stop once Set 4 hits though

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
it turns out, when you make a ccg with sets that those sets get stale after a while. who knew? :v:

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Blazing Zero posted:

it turns out, when you make a ccg with sets that those sets get stale after a while. who knew? :v:

There is an interview with Cory on the latest 2 Turns Ahead (that's actually all it is for like 2 hours) and he does address that, plus tons more - I listened to it last night and am actually super-pumped again!

Also he mentioned how hard people like Blinkman987 worked during the Invitational to make that a great experience, I didn't really get an opportunity to watch any of it at the time because of timezones + work so no real chance to appreciate that but figured it was worth saying thanks for putting on a good show and I hope to be able to watch the highlight reel on youtube :)

Thrawn200
Dec 13, 2008

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin & Hobbes
http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=48430

TLDR: Phenteo is leaving Hex.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Also an interesting spoiler at that link. I think it's too expensive, but it gives new life to things like Wretched Brood, which in combination now essentially reads, "at the start of your turn, lose 1 life and draw a card".

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Zurai posted:

Also an interesting spoiler at that link. I think it's too expensive, but it gives new life to things like Wretched Brood, which in combination now essentially reads, "at the start of your turn, lose 1 life and draw a card".

Don't forget Hop'hiro, Eulogist, Profane Ritualist, and other things that get a bonus for saccing.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

BenRGamer posted:

Don't forget Hop'hiro, Eulogist, Profane Ritualist, and other things that get a bonus for saccing.

Yeah, the wild/blood shard combo is already kind of crypt focused and they're adding more support for that. Honestly, and without having seen the full spoilers yet obviously, I wouldn't be surprised to see a wild/blood crypt deck get to at least tier 2 in constructed. I've been experimenting with some prototypes in frost ring arena (mentally substituting spoiled card effects for what I put in to replace them) and it's not all there yet but we're still missing like 80% of the set spoilers.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Nice!

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
I just picked up an AA Ozawa while idly browsing the AH for 400 plat.

That's... really really good right?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
^^ Yeah that guy left a zero off his asking price

Ooooh now that's power.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

TheChad posted:

I just picked up an AA Ozawa while idly browsing the AH for 400 plat.

That's... really really good right?

You done good

http://www.hexprice.com/Card/Ozawa%20Cosmic%20Elder%20AA

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Four questions:

1) I just recently picked up the game again -mostly for PvE - and I still have like 54 Set 1, and I think 15 each of sets 2 and 3. Do drafts fire enough that I should draft any of these sets, or should I just bust 'em open for PvE use?

2) I don't follow the official forums/social media for Hex much, have we heard about any PvE expansions beyond the first campaign zone or the arena?

3) I think I really need some dual shards, the 5 color shards are kinda just killing me with the no charge element. Which set specifically has dual shards?

4) What's a good approach to take re: rolling chests?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Pyrolocutus posted:

Four questions:

1) I just recently picked up the game again -mostly for PvE - and I still have like 54 Set 1, and I think 15 each of sets 2 and 3. Do drafts fire enough that I should draft any of these sets, or should I just bust 'em open for PvE use?

2) I don't follow the official forums/social media for Hex much, have we heard about any PvE expansions beyond the first campaign zone or the arena?

3) I think I really need some dual shards, the 5 color shards are kinda just killing me with the no charge element. Which set specifically has dual shards?

1. Set 1 and 2 are only drafted at this point during special throwback events, which we've only had two or three since those sets stopped being drafted. Set 3 is what is currently being drafted, usually the wait for it to fire is 20-40 minutes though. I would draft those packs rather than open them. For your set 1 and 2 packs you can either crack them or sell them.

2. I think after set 4 the next thing is another expansion for PVE.

3. Dual shards are in Set 2, there are also a few dual shards in set 3 but will be much more expensive and have a tribal requirement like coyotle or necrotic, but also come with an extra benefit option like gain life or add spiders to a deck.

4. It depends on what you want really. I personally only roll common and uncommon chests, anything higher I don't think it's worth the gold.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 19, 2016

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
1. Set 3 is the current draft set, and drafts do fire off reasonably quick most of the time.

2. Adventure Zone 2 (the next chunk of PVE) will be the next major patch after Set 4. Set 4 is due in early April and so far they seem on track to deliver it on time. They've said they eventually want to get to a point where they're doing a major patch every 2 months. I don't think that's too likely for AZ2, so I predict it'll show up some time around early July.

3. Set 2 has uncommon dual shards that don't grant a temporary resource the turn you play them. Sets 3/4 have racially-aligned rare shards that do grant a temporary resource, and offer a choice of any of a race's thresholds (with an extra bonus choice for dual-shard races) as long as you have a troop of that race in play or in hand. e.g. the Vennen shard grants blood, sapphire, or puts spiders in your opponent's deck.

4. The two valuable things from chests are the results of spinning (in which case you roll as many common chests as you can) or the contents of primal chests, in which case you roll rare/legendary chests. I can't think of any good reason to roll uncommon chests right now.

War Eagle
Mar 27, 2007

Getting eaten by the Abominable Snowman, thats a freak accident.

Pyrolocutus posted:

Four questions:

1) Depends on when you're on, but at night I see drafts fire fairly regularly.

2) I know Adventure Zone 2 is one of the next couple of updates and raises the level cap. Dont really follow it beyond that

3) Check out HexMeta.com and look at the dual color decks, they all have the shards you're talking about in them so you can see there. I had a lot of packs that I opened and I still ended up buying lots of those dual shards with plat/gold.

4) My opinion on Chests after reading everything is to roll on all of them, starting with the commons and uncommons first. There's not a lot of other stuff to do with gold, so my goal is to just roll them as I get gold from PvE. They normally contain equipment, and there really isn't very much equipment thats expensive to buy, since no one ever needs more than 1 of any given piece. Just buy the equipment you need for your PvE decks as you need it, and roll all of your chests for the chance at the custom sleeves/AA cards/Mercenaries.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

katkillad2 posted:

usually the wait for [draft] to fire is 20-40 minutes

Just to nitpick "usually", looking at the latest competitive drafts to have fired it's more like the gap between them is 10-20 minutes with a few outsiders (which will probably go down within a few weeks due to Set 4) - you'll have to wait a little longer mid-week obviously, but because this is a global game you'll still have Europeans / Australians / etc ready to join a queue at weird hours.

Full disclosure tho I did just have to wait 30 minutes for a draft to fire, but during that time plenty of people joined > waited about 2 minutes > then dropped - if they'd stuck around it would have been going in no time at all.

Edit: I just found out that the free weekly FiveShards tournament was also about to start when I was waiting so that might have something to do with it as well

Grim fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 20, 2016

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I mean it's going to depend on the time of day, but from 5:30-10:30est it was an average of one per 27 minutes. I'm weird and actually look at the average number of drafts pretty often. It's not uncommon for it to be an average of 30-40 minutes.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Grim posted:

Edit: I just found out that the free weekly FiveShards tournament was also about to start when I was waiting so that might have something to do with it as well

Yeah, I was waiting at the same time and was like, why does it keep going up to 6 or 7 people then dropping?

When I dropped to look around I noticed the five shards and joined that for kicks.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.
Unless you intend on getting a complete collection, I think selling your packs/cards and buying or trading for cards you want for specific decks is the way to go. If you open packs, you will end up with a huge pile of cards you are unlikely to ever use.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Here's your new bounce card for set 4. Seems like a worthwhile bonus for the extra resource.

God of Evil Cows
Feb 23, 2007

Let this be our final battle!

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Here's your new bounce card for set 4. Seems like a worthwhile bonus for the extra resource.

Reversion was my most drafted card in set 1.

Fish hands was my most drafted card in set 2.

I have no doubt this will be my most drafted card in set 4. Quick speed reversion is awesome and something I really missed in set 3 (lullaby and scorn don't really count).

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Another new spoiler:

I'm actually not sure whether my mono-Diamond aggro deck wants that or not.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Well I got myself stuck in wormoid hell in PvE. I'm running an elf mage with a R/G ramp deck. The red is mostly for Burn. Any tips on which route I should take would be appreciated. I've tried all three and failed.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I found Adaptatron and Boss Moss to be really key with my Elf Warrior, but also don't forget that because of the Primal Shards you can chuck in cards that would otherwise be off-colour and not have to worry a ton about if you'll have the threshold

Anyway yea liking the spoilers, hoping that when they say early April they mean really early cause I'm bustin' for some new cards to add to my collection (only missing a single Windsinger from my Set 3 playset... so close...)

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

Well I got myself stuck in wormoid hell in PvE. I'm running an elf mage with a R/G ramp deck. The red is mostly for Burn. Any tips on which route I should take would be appreciated. I've tried all three and failed.

For the record, you can go back to the gnome camp at the north end of the desert and drop the number of gnomes in your deck to 0 to make the Wormoid encounters go away, if you just want to say gently caress it to the quest. It's optional.

Orabilis
May 6, 2014
I did that quest by taking all 60 gnomes through the center, mulligan/reset til I get a Hunger of the Mountain God and go first. He can eat the queen alive on his own with gear. Even better if you can stick a lifedrain on it.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Colin put up a thread on the official forums, he's buying gold for plat;

quote:

I'm buying Gold! 120 Gold to 1 Platinum (a premium over the current rate of 132:1) . As much as you can farm! Send COD to "Colin" in game. :)

Pretty good opportunity to farm some campaign stuff and get some plat for buying cards / drafting / whatever

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Zurai posted:

For the record, you can go back to the gnome camp at the north end of the desert and drop the number of gnomes in your deck to 0 to make the Wormoid encounters go away, if you just want to say gently caress it to the quest. It's optional.

Thank you. I didn't even think to try that. I really have no desire to do that quest ASAP.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Grim posted:

Colin put up a thread on the official forums, he's buying gold for plat;

Pretty good opportunity to farm some campaign stuff and get some plat for buying cards / drafting / whatever

Why are they buying so much gold?

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

FillInTheBlank posted:

Why are they buying so much gold?

Colin is a crazy rich / successful Scottish dude who has a ton of chests he's gonna have to roll once Set 4 hits - guy has dropped tens of thousands into the game / community (flying people out to GenCon, big donations to the charity streams that were done the last couple of years, that sort of stuff)

But yea if someone wanted to try drafting / etc but didn't want to spend their own money then grinding out some gold in Arena / the Campaign and C.O.D-ing it to Colin for plat is probably their best bet right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

A good while back there were rumblings of putting together a PVP team for Hex, but unfortunately the timing of things never really quite worked out and there weren't enough people consistently playing. I recently joined The Chosen, the former team of Koma who helped him playtest for the Invitational he just won. They're a small group that's looking to expand but not by a great deal (the idea of getting 40+ members like Dragonborn just sounds counter-productive) so if you're interested, check out the link below:

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=48457

Group's not really doing much right now, but the plan is to get some playtesting done for the Wild cup (once we know format) and then start brewing. I've even got some preliminary plans in place with JadiimJedi (second place at invitational) for a friendly team series against the Dragonborn in the near future, something like unified constructed sounds like a blast.

• Locked thread