Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bull3964 posted:

They do similar things to screeners, doesn't stop them from being leaked, but they can usually track the source.

Nah.

Also an audio watermark would be relatively pointless, high quality video is the hard thing to get for movies still in the theater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

VagueRant posted:

The trailer for The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt season 2 has me pining for a feelgood show. I hoped Kimmy Schmidt would be it, but they were more interested in portraying a zany 30 Rock comic reality where the promise of a super optimistic, cheery, innocent and genuine protagonist can be squished into more of a Rachel-from-Friends role. That's not a diss on the writers, they're just making a different show than what I wanted out of their premise.

You guys were talking about Community and I think in its prime that was kind of a feelgood show. Most eps would end with saccharine character moments (Parks and Rec was good for that too), group bonding, sweet musical stings and Winger speeches to tie all it together. I think that added to a lot of the charm and 'heart' of the show in the first two seasons. But of course it followed a traditional sitcom path where they had to invent more and more personality flaws in their characters to drive the episodes and by the time Todd rolls around you just hate all of them.

And when Barry Allen in The Flash was meant to be the bright and cheery and optimistic counterpart to the brooding antihero vigilantism of Arrow, but now Barry is barely a describable character and is basically just a pile of protagonistic angst. :smith:

Maybe it's just because I'm the guy that could never enjoy the outright hatefulness of the Always Sunny cast, or any of the many shows about rich, self-pitying douchebags - from Californication to loving Bojack Horseman. I just want a show that lies to me and tricks me into thinking the world is okay and people are basically good. Is that so much to ask?

brb gonna go watch Dora The Explorer or something

just watch Psych ffs

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

bull3964 posted:

They do similar things to screeners, doesn't stop them from being leaked, but they can usually track the source.

Keep in mind that since this is a connected platform, they can probably do things like vary how the watermark is presented in subsequent viewings or even by stream. It would be constant cat and mouse to update and then figure it out, but you are going to run out of people who want to do it quickly since they'll either be banned from the service or in jail.

They've actually gotten a lot better about screeners in the year since the Sony hack, Force Awakens still has nothing but cams out for it. Of course the flipside is that the indie movies that actually need the support are the ones with HD rips day one due to simultaneous VOD releases.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

One advantage this would have over most screeners is that any watermark would be to a specific individual, instead of a website or something.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ABC pulled Of Kings and Prophets from their schedule after two whole episodes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

muscles like this? posted:

I wonder how much of a huge cost hit they're taking with this.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

drat, was there backlash or were the ratings just that bad?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

drat, was there backlash or were the ratings just that bad?

It had worse ratings than the previous show they pulled after a couple of episodes, Wicked City.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

.8 down to a .5.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It had worse ratings than the previous show they pulled after a couple of episodes, Wicked City.

NBC is just so Gil.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

zoux posted:

Excuse me it is 100% pirate proof.

Is that like the proof of the rum I'll be drinking while bellowing sea shanties as I watch a ripped copy

bring back old gbs posted:

So theatre film copies have weird flash frames every once in a while that would bricks cameras, or force phones into a "locked" mode you have to pay out the rear end to revert if the camera was pointing at the screen.

This sounds like a great idea if you want people to never buy your products ever again.

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 18, 2016

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Mu Zeta posted:

Who the gently caress is Sean Parker? I never heard of him until Social Network.

He owns 2,500,000,000 dollars

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can't wait for the fifth best show of 2015 to come back tomorrow

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Escobarbarian posted:

Can't wait for the fifth best show of 2015 to come back tomorrow

It beat the Leftovers.

It beat the Leftovers.

:smug:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
tbf it's a good show and I hope this season has less utterly useless episodes like 1x6

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

- I get one of the best seats in the house.
- I can have the best beer and best food available to me.
- I don't have to show up near an hour early for the movie on opening weekend to get a seat that isn't terrible.
- I don't have to deal with people who talk through the movie in the theater.
- I can pause the movie to go to the bathroom or get a drink or make more popcorn, etc.

One con for me is the lovely sound mixing. I've never tried Blu-Ray so maybe that will fix it, but pirated poo poo and DVDs both play like rear end when it comes to volume levels. I'm constantly cranking the volume for dialog and quickly slamming the volume down when the explosions/big music score happens. I've tried upping the volume of the centre speaker (I have a 3 speaker set up) and it doesn't really fix the issue.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

So how was this was show's promotion generally? Because I've actually never heard of it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Excellent news!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/prison-break-robert-knepper-rockmond-876671

:dance:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

xcore posted:

One con for me is the lovely sound mixing. I've never tried Blu-Ray so maybe that will fix it, but pirated poo poo and DVDs both play like rear end when it comes to volume levels. I'm constantly cranking the volume for dialog and quickly slamming the volume down when the explosions/big music score happens. I've tried upping the volume of the centre speaker (I have a 3 speaker set up) and it doesn't really fix the issue.

That's....kinda the point for a dynamic soundtrack. You want the really loud parts loud and the softer parts quiet.

Most receivers have a setting to compress the output (usually called night mode or something like that) which will level out the sound. But, the soundtracks on disc, by and large, are spot on the way they should be.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Rarity posted:

It beat the Leftovers.

It beat the Leftovers.

:smug:

Would be interesting to see a "best of the past X years" poll in addition, just to see how many of the favorites died off upon reconsideration and what good but never spectacular shows rise up because of fond memories.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

This is great and now I'm even more excited for the miniseries. I hope they mention T-bag's episode of Breakout Kings at some point.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Australian actress Emily Browning was cast as Laura Moon in American Gods. According to pre-production reports they're beefing up Laura's part so she isn't just a deus ex machina to rescue Shadow when he gets in trouble.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Let me know when William Fichtner is announced to return to Prison Break.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Lycus posted:

So how was this was show's promotion generally? Because I've actually never heard of it.

I think ABC saw NBC's effort with Kings and said "Let's try that, but with zero advertising."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It had a bunch of ads on the espn app, and it looked like they were trying to make Game of Thrones but with Bible characters. It was super generic, the tagline was, I'm dead serious, "A Hero Will Rise".

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

corn in the bible posted:

just watch Psych ffs

You know that's right.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Australian actress Emily Browning was cast as Laura Moon in American Gods. According to pre-production reports they're beefing up Laura's part so she isn't just a deus ex machina to rescue Shadow when he gets in trouble.
People should know who Emily Browning is from her film roles. She's not just some random Aussie actress. :colbert:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Been checking out some of the feelgood recs. Fresh Off The Boat has been the one that hit that chord with me the most so far, but maybe that's just because both Randall Park and Constance Wu are so ridiculously good looking that I get distracted from the anxiety of parenting and lost in their pearly white smiles.

But on a totally unrelated note, the release of Daredevil season 2 has me wondering if there are any documentaries or in-depth articles about the TV piracy industry. Hopefully this isn't too files-y to talk about...But I mean, when you think about the amount of work that goes into it? Multiple groups of people who record the episode, EDIT it to remove ads, reasonably compress it, upload it on the torrents and those weird russian youtubes within HOURS of it airing, when the TV stations don't tend to get their online streams up for a good 12 hours. And they do it for EVERY TV show from some big drama to Reality Show Episode #586? I mean, that's WORK. That's a full time job. Are they paid in donations? Surely that's not enough? Are they basically groups of hobbyists? The fact that there seems to be groups and competiton suggests some serious monetary involvement, but maybe it is just nerd pride?

And what's it like for them when Netflix just throws out 12 episodes at once like they do? Do the pirate groups have to scramble and work for hours on it? It's fascinating to me, it's just this hidden little industry.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

VagueRant posted:

Been checking out some of the feelgood recs. Fresh Off The Boat has been the one that hit that chord with me the most so far, but maybe that's just because both Randall Park and Constance Wu are so ridiculously good looking that I get distracted from the anxiety of parenting and lost in their pearly white smiles.

But on a totally unrelated note, the release of Daredevil season 2 has me wondering if there are any documentaries or in-depth articles about the TV piracy industry. Hopefully this isn't too files-y to talk about...But I mean, when you think about the amount of work that goes into it? Multiple groups of people who record the episode, EDIT it to remove ads, reasonably compress it, upload it on the torrents and those weird russian youtubes within HOURS of it airing, when the TV stations don't tend to get their online streams up for a good 12 hours. And they do it for EVERY TV show from some big drama to Reality Show Episode #586? I mean, that's WORK. That's a full time job. Are they paid in donations? Surely that's not enough? Are they basically groups of hobbyists? The fact that there seems to be groups and competiton suggests some serious monetary involvement, but maybe it is just nerd pride?

And what's it like for them when Netflix just throws out 12 episodes at once like they do? Do the pirate groups have to scramble and work for hours on it? It's fascinating to me, it's just this hidden little industry.

I have to admit I'm actually quite curious about this too, though I don't know anything about it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Let me know when William Fichtner is announced to return to Prison Break.

On the one hand, he's the one of the best things about that show. On the other, he's so much better than that show.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

VagueRant posted:

Within hours? Try having the episodes available like minutes after the first broadcast finishes.

And not to praise pirates too much but they do a valuable job of archiving in a way, whereas some companies will just let this die off, pirates are basically doing the job of archivists at times. Also I think there's some competitive spirit going on as to who can do it better, faster, etc. They also tend to keep each other in check over quality and everything to. It's definitely a weird scene I'd like to actually have someone dig deeper into.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Sober posted:

It's definitely a weird scene I'd like to actually have someone dig deeper into.

There are a lot of current/ex-pirates who will be pretty open about this in a variety of media. Probably the most interesting discussions imo were comics scanners, especially given the direct marketplace mess transitioning into digital marketplace boom of the last few years taking their job from this fiddly pissing contest with so much room for error into a two-click job at times.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Random thought for the day, only brought up because my grandmother and mother were hooked on the show and I got a crash course in it during its brief late 80's revival.

Fifty years ago this week/weekend, the first episodes of Dark Shadows were broadcast.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

VagueRant posted:

It seems like it would be easier to do Netflix shows, since they have no commercials or anything.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

VagueRant posted:

Cutting ads out shouldn't take that much work I would think, nothing more than 5 minutes or so. Transcoding it will take longer (Rather than compressing it. Transcoding takes longer and will retain a high bitrate while compression is something that can be knocked out pretty quickly). But the groups that do it are essentially all part of a network where being in such groups tends to get you early access to a lot of media. As far as I know they don't really get paid for it, though I'm sure some might accept donations. It's mostly for the pride of it, and a lot of groups like to celebrate that they're the first to bring you a copy of THE AMERICANS or something for example.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i hate every ape i see

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Toxxupation posted:

i hate every ape i see

Oh, no. I'm not responding to you. You'll never make a monkey out of me.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Toxxupation posted:

i hate every ape i see

From chim-pan-A to chim-pan-Z

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

VagueRant posted:

If it's anything like the old music scenes, a lot of it is about trading; the people who rip TV shows share them with people who record and share movie cams. As for work, a lot of it is automated--they have computers hooked into a cable box that has a HDCP (HDMI's built in DRM) remover in between. The computer automatically grabs the signal, removes commercials, transcodes the file (usually into .MP4 or .mkv), and uploads it to their site. Sometimes they release the file into TPB/Usenet/whatever themselves, sometimes members of the site "steal" them and release them instead. Really it's about sharing leaked media and being the first to get them out.

There's evidence that some people higher up at networks and movie studios are involved in piracy, sometimes directly. There's rumors that Paramount put The Little Prince on TPB and then when almost no one pirated it they took it to mean Americans didn't care about the film and dropped the domestic distribution rights (which is dumb, the people that want to see The Little Prince are the type of people that go out of their way to see arty animated films in theaters because they want to make sure the medium doesn't die). Artists routinely leak albums into sites as publicity stunts or for fun--Kanye purportedly leaked "The Life of Pablo" himself and Donald Glover/Childish Gambino leaked "Because The Internet" on 4Chan with the last minute cut off the album to troll people. And when a recent show was finishing up (I think Mad Men?) the scene released episodes were of such high quality it had to have come from either a cable company or the network themselves (I think Dish Network may have been in negotiations with AMC at the time, take that as you will).

If you're at all interested in piracy, I'd recommend checking out How Music Got Free, a fascinating look at how music piracy worked in the late 90's/early 00's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

lelandjs posted:

If you're at all interested in piracy, I'd recommend checking out How Music Got Free, a fascinating look at how music piracy worked in the late 90's/early 00's.

I'm interested in piracy, but I'm not really into buying books.

• Locked thread