Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

STDH.txt

Who the hell would fall for some meat scam. Newsflash, people LOVE meat. No farmer or butcher ever had to go door to door because not enough people were buying their meat. They were probably selling carved up chinese prisoners, the leftovers they didn't sell to those Bodyworks exhibits.

Greed will get ya!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Decairn posted:

Source: I worked for an energy company for 10 years.

Same but 7 years. :v:

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

No farmer or butcher ever had to go door to door because not enough people were buying their meat.

I know some who did.

About ten years ago there was a BSE case in Canada that resulted in the US barring import for a period that was longer than any rancher would have cared. Facing a situation of their market drying up overnight, it wasn't uncommon for a farm to get into a financial jam so cows would get sent to slaughter and the meat sold in whatever avenue available. Some of that was door to door sales in a nearby town.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Decairn posted:

Can't do door-to-door in Quebec for energy at least, its limited to commercial only. The utility also has an absolutely archaic manual process that makes the commercial process a nightmare to do as well (faxes... email not allowed). The door to door energy sales guys are all paid straight commission, no salary, and for everything they sign maybe 50% of them end up being approved with a commission paid. 20 door knocked, 1 signed paper is the standard sign up rate.
Source: I worked for an energy company for 10 years.

I guess living in Quebec does have its advantages. The less door-to-door people bothering me, the better.

Apparently Quebec has some really good consumer protection laws (bordering insane since I've noticed quite a lot of country-wide competitions don't include Quebec, or that might just be because they don't want to translate the competition rules/laws etc to French).

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Migishu posted:

I guess living in Quebec does have its advantages. The less door-to-door people bothering me, the better.

Apparently Quebec has some really good consumer protection laws (bordering insane since I've noticed quite a lot of country-wide competitions don't include Quebec, or that might just be because they don't want to translate the competition rules/laws etc to French).

Any contests taking place in Quebec need to be submitted to the gaming commission well over half a year in advance for review and approval, and since most companies simply don't plan out contests and promotions that far out, they won't bother. It can be done, but you have to plan for it.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Looks like I'll probably be where I am for another year, so I think it's finally time to ditch Rogers. Anyone have experience with other cable internet providers in the London, Ontario area? A friend signed up with Start a month or so back, but I don't know if he's in a honeymoon phase or if they're that decent.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Start is fine here. They should be here, considering it's their hometown. I still have Rogers with no complaints just because I wanted this speed tier.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I'm in the London area and Start is excellent. No complaints. Get the CDA3 modem. It doesn't have any bullshit routing, it's just a really fast and reliable dumb modem.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Anyone have a good VPN recommendation? Looking to finally jump the shark for Netflix and other activities. Just something cheap and reliable to use at home.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, mediaphage and 8ender!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

Anyone have a good VPN recommendation? Looking to finally jump the shark for Netflix and other activities. Just something cheap and reliable to use at home.

I use private internet access (PIA) to good effect, especially when on public wi-fi. For what it's worth well-known VPNs will often end up blocked by some services (Hulu is really big about this). At home I mostly just use unblock-us, which still works fine for me.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I use PIA, and it's generally been good, but they're officially blocked by Netflix as of last week. They will occasionally get new endpoint IP's, but they said it's not going to be a priority to do it just to make Netflix work again.

So congrats Netflix! Another customer lost.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I bet AOL Canada DSL Broadband still issues US IP addresses for all users, the whole thing is routed through Virginia. Unlimited service too. Ideal for anyone that is a hardcore US Netflix/Hulu/AmazonPrimeVideo/ComedyCentral viewer.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Unblock-us is officially blocked despite any efforts on my part in Northern Ontario. Can't speak for anywhere else, but yeah, now I gotta figure out what to reccommend my parents, they've been on this by my rec. since 2011. :sigh:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I wasn't getting a VPN error with netflix, but I noticed my adfreetime wasn't giving me US content anymore so I cancelled my acct with them.

I'll give straight up Canadian content a try for a while, but I do miss the TV series the US side had.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

I wasn't getting a VPN error with netflix, but I noticed my adfreetime wasn't giving me US content anymore so I cancelled my acct with them.

I'll give straight up Canadian content a try for a while, but I do miss the TV series the US side had.

They're being kind of shady, they basically disable the geo-location bit of the service when you're on a server/endpoint/whatever that has been caught so it appears it's still working. You can go in to your self-serve area and enable it again, you're likely to get the unblocker error then.

I cancelled them because they're refusing to address the problem publicly really, they close tickets about it instantly, ignoring tweets, restricted their subreddit to "approved posters only", but still gladly taking money (sure, its only $2, but gently caress them :colbert:).

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I received a postcard in my mailbox from Novus. Turns out they're in my building! Internet and basic TV at @ $30/mo for 12 months, no contract.

I called them on Tuesday, they came and installed it Thursday.

:asoiaf:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
holy crap now that is a deal

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

StealthArcher posted:

Unblock-us is officially blocked despite any efforts on my part in Northern Ontario. Can't speak for anywhere else, but yeah, now I gotta figure out what to reccommend my parents, they've been on this by my rec. since 2011. :sigh:

slidebite posted:

It's going to be tricky. I thought about running my own VPS and piping Netflix through that, but from some quick research it sounds like Netflix is just blacklisting any IP associated with a datacenter.

less than three posted:

I received a postcard in my mailbox from Novus. Turns out they're in my building! Internet and basic TV at @ $30/mo for 12 months, no contract.

I called them on Tuesday, they came and installed it Thursday.

:asoiaf:

Jealous, though that asymetrical upload would bug me. Waiting on backups or legitimate file access via VPN sucks with these low uploads.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Rukus posted:

Jealous, though that asymetrical upload would bug me. Waiting on backups or legitimate file access via VPN sucks with these low uploads.

Jesus christ, I wish I lived in an area where 100Mbps counted as "low upload" :argh:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

No poo poo. I happily paid for 7.

e: Rogers' 1000/50 plan is $150 a month :stare:

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 18, 2016

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Rukus posted:

100 Mbps low uploads.

:wtc: man

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?
Yeah, I can't get more than 10mbps up. Even 20 would be a nice change.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

flakeloaf posted:

No poo poo. I happily paid for 7.

e: Rogers' 1000/50 plan is $150 a month :stare:

Shaw has the same numbers for D/U for gigabit fibre and it doesn't make sense. You should theoretically have no issues with symmetrical speeds on all fibre right?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
There are fewer upstream channels than downstream on their DOCSIS implementation. No idea why they'd do it on actual fibre, rather then HFC though.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

slidebite posted:

I never bothered with US Netflix and it has been years since I felt like there wasn't anything I wanted to watch among the Canadian offerings. Take the cash you were spending on the VPN and toss it towards Shomi or Crave if you need even more.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Rukus posted:

It's going to be tricky. I thought about running my own VPS and piping Netflix through that, but from some quick research it sounds like Netflix is just blacklisting any IP associated with a datacenter.

It varies depending on which server I test to. It's theoretically supposed to be 1000/1000 I think. Though I'm not exactly complaining if I can get 600/400 realistically out of it.

less than three fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 18, 2016

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Antifreeze Head posted:

Take the cash you were spending on the VPN and toss it towards Shomi or Crave if you need even more.

Never give those assholes money for Shomi or Crave.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

BGrifter posted:

Never give those assholes money for Shomi or Crave.

QFT

I have a yearly (:sigh:) subscription on unblock-us that renews in dec, anything useful I could use it for? Amazon streaming needs a US CC right?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

Adfreetime is really hosed up, they're just pretending its only a few users and that its business as usual. They are actively censoring reddit and other places that they can control. They refused to answer any of my support tickets too, just deleting them without even responding. I was coming up on my billing period so I cancelled my account and have been using borderlessinternet dns redirection instead for US Netflix and Hulu. The only downside with borderless is that the sudden popularity has led to unexpected downtime but the crew there has been pretty good about communicating with people. PSN on the PS4 doesn't work either for some reason, I just did an exception for that one on my router but if you use it a lot then you might wanna wait for them to fix it. They were doing 6 month free trials while its beta, not sure if that's still going on. If they fix up the downtime/etc issues I will definitely sub my trial expires.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 18, 2016

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

less than three posted:

It varies depending on which server I test to. It's theoretically supposed to be 1000/1000 I think. Though I'm not exactly complaining if I can get 600/400 realistically out of it.

Ah, that makes more sense, then. I just figured if they can send you 1Gbps over fibre then what's stopping them from recieving it as well (since it doesn't have limitations like Docsis).

ToxicFrog posted:

Jesus christ, I wish I lived in an area where 100Mbps counted as "low upload" :argh:

Hey now, I'm barely making by with 25 Mbps upload right now, so I'm in the same boat. I was just pointing out that for a 1Gbps connection it was awfully low. There really is no excuse as to why in TYOOL 2016 we still don't have symmetrical connections of at least 200Mbps, especially with all these new cloud providers who require the upload.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

priznat posted:

QFT

I have a yearly (:sigh:) subscription on unblock-us that renews in dec, anything useful I could use it for? Amazon streaming needs a US CC right?

I dunno if it needs a cc or just an Amazon.com account (besides overcoming geopolicy I mean). I pay mine with a Canadian cc but it wasn't originally. You do need prime on the .com account though, and it won't be shared with the Canadian one.

Anyway I use unblock for Netflix, Amazon instant streaming, Hulu, bbc iplayer, 4od, and some other things like occasionally a us network channel.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Rukus posted:

Hey now, I'm barely making by with 25 Mbps upload right now, so I'm in the same boat. I was just pointing out that for a 1Gbps connection it was awfully low. There really is no excuse as to why in TYOOL 2016 we still don't have symmetrical connections of at least 200Mbps, especially with all these new cloud providers who require the upload.

BLBLB-BLBl-B-B-B-ut TORRENTZ :saddowns: Seriously, Shaw hasn't cared once about me driving my household's DL to way over our cap. My server management upload though, Jesus does that ever gets calls made.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Yeah I only get 20 up from Telus right now, but they never bothered me about data caps until I threw up a server hosting a bunch of linux distros. Suddenly then my traffic was absolutely unacceptable and they had to contact me almost weekly regarding it. Piss of mate.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
After unblock-us stopped working for the second time, I went with ViperDNS. Takes a little longer for the streaming to bump all the way up for Netflix, but other than that, it has been working without issue so far. They're also one of the few sites still bragging on their website that accessing US content is exactly what their business is for, so that makes me a little more confident, but obviously at this point in time, I'm not taking a chance on an annual membership.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So I received an email from Teksavvy yesterday.

quote:

I tried to give you a call but unfortunately missed you. We have a bit of a proposition to offer you here. We're wondering whether you might still be interested in our 50Mb DSL service.

As you know, single line 50Mb does not show as available at your location; however, we're looking into beta testing a couple more customers on our 50 bonded service.

I believe you saw on DSLr that getting the service going for the first group was a bit of a nightmare, we won't sugar coat that and can't make any guarantee that this will go smoothly for you. Also, you would need to have a working knowledge and ability to take care of your own internal wiring as Telus does not configure a jack for the second pair.

With that said, we'll provide the modem required for bonded service at no cost to you, we'll waive the activation fee, and the first month of service will be on us as well (unlimited).

Let us know if you might be interested and we'll see what we can do!
Thoughts?
Currently on a 25/5 plan (which is actual) and OK with it for my needs, but short of fibre I don't know if I am realistically able to get faster in my neighbourhood (not interested in going to coax).

I'm not entirely sure how much knowledge I'll need for my internal wiring. I've never really worked on telco cables before but I have made my own Cat5 cables successfully and punch-down network panels which I think must be pretty similar. I also own an RJ45/11 test box.

Would Telus literally need to run a new wire pair to my house or is it the norm that homes have extras already?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

slidebite posted:

So I received an email from Teksavvy yesterday.

Thoughts?
Currently on a 25/5 plan (which is actual) and OK with it for my needs, but short of fibre I don't know if I am realistically able to get faster in my neighbourhood (not interested in going to coax).

I'm not entirely sure how much knowledge I'll need for my internal wiring. I've never really worked on telco cables before but I have made my own Cat5 cables successfully and punch-down network panels which I think must be pretty similar. I also own an RJ45/11 test box.

Would Telus literally need to run a new wire pair to my house or is it the norm that homes have extras already?

Out of curiosity, why are you against coax? Do you just not want to drill another hole in your house (which I guess is probably understandable).

Anyway, I'd do it if you feel comfortable helping out and troubleshooting.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The coax incumbents here (Shaw) are supposedly awful. Even then their packages aren't great and capped. The independents don't resell it here either just DSL.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
Bonded TPIA installs sounded like a loving disaster, I would not join the beta if internet is critical to you. https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30191911-tDSL-50Mbps-bonded-beta-check-in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, that was a trainwreck.

I spoke to the guy at Teksavvy and he said the way he would do it would be to have Telus leave my existing 25MB service as is, and order a new pair installed to the demarc through Telus. That way if it's a disaster my initial service shouldn't be effected. I told him if there was a real risk the whole thing would go sideways and I'd be potentially without internet service for days (or worse) that would be a real problem.

He also was not aware I had a wet-loop on my existing DSL line and that might be an issue, because by ordering the new pair for 50MB bonded, it would be actually a dry-loop, but if we then cancel my existing service to change to 50 (assuming it works) I'd then be stuck paying a dryloop fee, even if it isn't. Not entirely sure I understand but he said he has to check into it.

The pricing is very reasonable. Only $5/month more than my existing 25 so that is not an issue. I'd happily pay $5 more for 2x the speed. It's just the getting there that scares me. He also said that the previous beta was a huge learning experinece for them and they are much more confident this would go better, but of course no promises.

Oh, he also said the wiring aspect is minor and if I have the skills to build an RJ45 patch cable and use a punchdown tool on a network board header, I'm more than capable of what he'd need done.