Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So why did no-one tell me the big Azimuth thrusters are almost twice as powerful as the Industrial Thrusters?

Just a slight upgrade in acceleration with these.

They're a cube longer, but it gave me a bit of room to try and make the Hawk's wings look less circular. Can't decide if I should bring the Hydrogen thrusters back a bit or just leave the gap between the main thrusters though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a way to feed x number of gravel ore separators, or I guess anything that processes poo poo, equally from the same cargo container. I.e. If the cargo container had 40 units of uranium and I had 4 refineries, each refinery would get 10 units.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Does this not do the trick?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=546825757

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Patch time!

quote:

Summary
This week brings a new and updated character model into the game featuring an animated visor and PBR textures. This also brings more modding possibilities for your custom characters, so check out the helmet animation modding guide below. Other small features include pulsing highlights and new ambient sounds which create a better atmosphere in the game. Also, we fixed the freezing/crashing caused by mining on dedicated servers. Multiplayer optimizations continue with more blocks being rewritten in the new multiplayer code.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ztdqhx28Jg

Features
- updated character model
- pulsing highlights
- new ambient sounds
- helmet animation modding guide: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=642149419

Fixes
- fixed mining freezing/crashing the whole server
- fixed crash when Gatling gun is destroyed
- fixed crash when drilling
- fixed crash when starting the game
- fixed mining not possible on some asteroids
- fixed updating of workshop items
- fixed too many sounds playing together
- fixed helmet lights are behind character
- fixed unable to pick up objects
- fixed turret sound playing several times, instead of just once
- fixed too opulent logs (removed unnecessary information that were fill up the log file)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

quote:

-fixed crash when drilling
:aaaaa:

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

This is amazing. I didn't know about it. Thanks a lot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So I'd just finished my heavy ground hauler and decided to fix my shuttle's armor shell (had to redo the back end for the new engines) when I wound up overwriting the hauler with the armor shell :cripes:.

Thankfully I'd stashed an older backup sitting on the ground, so have a Caterpillar. It's basically the generic convoy vehicle that gets shot at and/or found mysteriously abandoned and covered in blood.

Also I really wish Drui wasn't the one doing the changelog updates now, because the guy never appends the drat hotfix notes :argh:.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So I'd just finished my heavy ground hauler and decided to fix my shuttle's armor shell (had to redo the back end for the new engines) when I wound up overwriting the hauler with the armor shell :cripes:.

Thankfully I'd stashed an older backup sitting on the ground, so have a Caterpillar. It's basically the generic convoy vehicle that gets shot at and/or found mysteriously abandoned and covered in blood.

Also I really wish Drui wasn't the one doing the changelog updates now, because the guy never appends the drat hotfix notes :argh:.

Those look sweet. Basically at this point I am waiting for a REASON to use and make all these cool vehicles. More robust enemy AI is needed, I think.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rhjamiz posted:

Those look sweet. Basically at this point I am waiting for a REASON to use and make all these cool vehicles. More robust enemy AI is needed, I think.

That's pretty much why I've been making a set of subcraft and ground vehicles, figure I may as well have some ready for if/when we actually get proper playable content. The Caterpillar also just about outright replaces the quick-fab bunker I made a while ago if you mount either of the two cargo pods to it for a basic mobile starter base to go out adventuring in.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a good tutorial on wheels? The last time that I used them was when they were just added to the game and practically unusable.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Is there a good tutorial on wheels? The last time that I used them was when they were just added to the game and practically unusable.

Good news, that hasn't really changed!

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

They're still pretty terrible, but here are some resources for you:

This video really breaks down the settings for wheels, and taught me a lot! :)

This guide on the official forums has some more information for thought, depending on what kind of craft you're building.

The long and short of it is that, on their own, wheels are borderline unusable: The wheels themselves behave differently on planetary voxels than they do on player-built blocks; wheels can't really adjust properly to keep a wheeled vehicle from flipping, and overall, vehicles just don't behave the way a car "should." Weight distribution is funny, and often you have to design a vehicle with a much wider wheel base than you'd expect, which leads to other complications. One way to vastly improve vehicle handling is to add a gyroscope, and do the bulk of your turning with the mouse, rather than A and D, but even that has a bad habit of flipping and rolling. You can use the wheels themselves as shock absorbers and do the bulk of your movement with atmospheric thrusters, but if you're taking the time to do that, why not just build a VTOL hovercraft?

Really, the best way to use wheels at the moment is to set the friction all the way down to 0 and add rocket boosters, like this! :haw:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

XkyRauh posted:

Really, the best way to use wheels at the moment is to set the friction all the way down to 0 and add rocket boosters, like this! :haw:

Wheels and rocket boosters you say? Alrighty then! :science:

Perfection. :allears:.

I've added the Rocket Boosters to the empty projector on the Workshop version.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
With the yellow and black checkering that looks a bit 40k orkish

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Neddy, Neddy: You really should have put those thrusters on a rotor and angled them down 15-20 degrees, to keep your fuselage on the turf. ;)

(I love what you've done there. Incredible!)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

XkyRauh posted:

Neddy, Neddy: You really should have put those thrusters on a rotor and angled them down 15-20 degrees, to keep your fuselage on the turf. ;)

(I love what you've done there. Incredible!)

I think you'll find making it fly uncontrollably into the ground was the point :colbert:. Incidentally, those rocket boosters are set to assemble in an Off state, and hidden in the block menu. All you can do to trigger them (barring revealing hidden blocks in the menu) is to trigger a Timer that turns them on and dials up the override thrust to max. After that all you can do is strap in and pray until the fuel tanks empty. Or crash. :jeb:.

Spookydonut posted:

With the yellow and black checkering that looks a bit 40k orkish

Redd rockitts goez fastah! :orks101:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Yes but hazard striping / checkerboarding is what you put on cool stuff that explodes and makes fire, so you put it on things to make them explode / go on fire harder! The truk should be red and the boosters get the stripes!

I do wish there was a way to paint a decal or something over a multiple block area. I want to designate hazard zones for moving parts and airlocks and stuff. I'm woefully out of compliance with space OSHA...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GenericOverusedName posted:

Yes but hazard striping / checkerboarding is what you put on cool stuff that explodes and makes fire, so you put it on things to make them explode / go on fire harder! The truk should be red and the boosters get the stripes!

I do wish there was a way to paint a decal or something over a multiple block area. I want to designate hazard zones for moving parts and airlocks and stuff. I'm woefully out of compliance with space OSHA...

One thing I'm gonna do is make a basic crane-equipped repair bay for groundside pod removal. I don't think "accelerate and make a sharp turn" is an OSHA-compliant procedure for removing equipment from heavy ground vehicles like a tank or oversized bus.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

If it's not, it should be.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Patch time!

quote:

Summary
This week's update is in the spirit of more optimizations, improvements and bug fixes. We've sped up download of the mods while loading/joining, upgraded the console server configurator and optimized the performance of the conveyor system. All blocks should be now rewritten to the new Multiplayer code, a long-awaited change that should improve server traffic.
ModAPI has been changed in this release. We made most mods compile with the new references and also updated the usage. However, it's still possible there are some mods that use references directly to namespaces and won't be replaced automatically. For more details, follow the link below.
A minor addition is new distant sounds for gatling turrets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BMbeE1KAzI

Features
- faster mod downloading
- upgraded console server configurator
- conveyor system optimization
- new distant gatling turret sound
- all blocks rewritten to the new MP
- changes to the ModAPI: http://forums.keenswh.com/threads/changes-to-the-modapi-16-03-2016.7381306/
- changed highlight for doors (so now the wings are highlighted)

Fixes
- fixed crash with inventories
- fixed antenna broadcasting keeps turning off
- fixed freeze when joining DS
- fixed ModAPI - IsAttached is false for locked rotors
- fixed highlights turning grass blue
- fixed spiders are still spawning
- fixed sound of entering cryochamber playing when exiting, joining DS
- fixed unable to enter cockpit welded from projection, DS

Also seeing as the drat Workshop doesn't want to let me upload it at the moment, check this little bastard out;

It's a modular, 4-seat, off-road buggy. :orks101:

Yes, one of the pods is an oversized rocket engine.

It works quite well.

There's also an armor shell like the Kestrel's. I may have had to move the windows due to not realizing they were too far apart to actually see straight ahead.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Are you guys finding the MP servers with planets pretty stable now? I haven't kept up to date with patches, but a group of us tried out planetgineering when that mode first dropped and we found parts of our bases kept blowing up randomly, which is obviously less than ideal, so we shelved it until the MP code was solid enough for us to sperg out properly.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

This most recent update claims that all the blocks have been updated to the new Multiplayer code, and that the conveyor system (a previous major source of lag) has been optimized a fair bit. Now's as good a time as any to give it a shot!

As it says in the OP, however, be aware that the game patches regularly, and things break as a result. There's usually a patch every Thursday, with a hotfix dropped on Friday. So if this week's patch is still unplayable for you and your buddies, you only have to wait a week until you roll the dice again!

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

XkyRauh posted:

This most recent update claims that all the blocks have been updated to the new Multiplayer code, and that the conveyor system (a previous major source of lag) has been optimized a fair bit. Now's as good a time as any to give it a shot!

As it says in the OP, however, be aware that the game patches regularly, and things break as a result. There's usually a patch every Thursday, with a hotfix dropped on Friday. So if this week's patch is still unplayable for you and your buddies, you only have to wait a week until you roll the dice again!

If they break the game too much they're pretty quick about getting a fix out.

Edit: Did the changes to conveyors break Taleden's inventory script or is it just me?

Ultimate Shrek Fan fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 18, 2016

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

I noticed a few people were posting in the Bug Reports forum that Refineries and Arc Furnaces were no longer auto-pulling ore from mining ships, so there's a chance it's not just Taleden's script that's bugged. (Note: I don't use Taleden's script, so I'm only guessing!)

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
I use reddit to follow certain games, SpaceEngineers is one and it's recently been turded up by Star Citizens. There was a gif of a SC ship spinning around in a dog fight, doing a hard turn that would certainly throw anyone not seatbelted into a wall. The Citizen's praised the fact that the player could stand in the ship while dogfighting and shat on the SE net code for a while. It made me wonder though... Since artificial gravity isn't a thing yet, we'll exclude it for now, but would inertia and G forces in a zero gravity environment be the same as they would in a 1 G environment. Also, bonus question, if you were floating in the center of a pressurized ship, say the ISS, and the ship rotated 180 degrees, would the ship rotate around you? Does air pressure play any role?

I'm too stupid to know these things, but am in a perpetual state of wondering.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Uncle Spriggly posted:

I use reddit to follow certain games, SpaceEngineers is one and it's recently been turded up by Star Citizens. There was a gif of a SC ship spinning around in a dog fight, doing a hard turn that would certainly throw anyone not seatbelted into a wall. The Citizen's praised the fact that the player could stand in the ship while dogfighting and shat on the SE net code for a while. It made me wonder though... Since artificial gravity isn't a thing yet, we'll exclude it for now, but would inertia and G forces in a zero gravity environment be the same as they would in a 1 G environment. Also, bonus question, if you were floating in the center of a pressurized ship, say the ISS, and the ship rotated 180 degrees, would the ship rotate around you? Does air pressure play any role?

I'm too stupid to know these things, but am in a perpetual state of wondering.

If you stand in a ship with gravity generators you won't get thrown around

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

True, but if that same ship with gravity generators is traveling at, say, 40m/s, the netcode in Space Engineers currently stutters and rubber bands you around. It sounds like the netcode in Star Citizen doesn't do that.

I don't know the answer to Spriggly's question, either, and now I'm curious too!

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

If they break the game too much they're pretty quick about getting a fix out.

Edit: Did the changes to conveyors break Taleden's inventory script or is it just me?

Been playing spergineers for many moons now so bugs is fine, but finding your base exploded every 2-3 days is kinda unplayable. If, broadly speaking, the game plays well and your poo poo stays in place I'll be pretty happy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well I think it's been a good long while since they released a hotfix that actively made things worse. Updated the OP with the more notable bugs I've seen or could find on the bug forum.

While we wait for, hopefully, another hotfix to un-gently caress everything, have...

:siren:A NEWWWW CARRR!*:siren:

*Caution: will not be held responsible for flips, tricks, and crashes.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 19, 2016

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I suspect Star Citizen achieves buttery-smooth walking-in-moving-ships by having the interior area the players walk around in not actually be moving, which isn't compatible with the whole 'everything is a block players can build and destroy and seamlessly move in and out of and fly around in' thing that Space Engineers is all about. It's not an apples-to-apples comparison.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hailthefish posted:

I suspect Star Citizen achieves buttery-smooth walking-in-moving-ships by having the interior area the players walk around in not actually be moving, which isn't compatible with the whole 'everything is a block players can build and destroy and seamlessly move in and out of and fly around in' thing that Space Engineers is all about. It's not an apples-to-apples comparison.

Netcode that was built properly from the ground up instead of being a quick placeholder hackjob may also be a factor.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Please don't assume anything in Star Citizen has a design document or is not a quick placeholder hackjob. The "game" is the most broken poo poo ever squeezed out.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well I think it's been a good long while since they released a hotfix that actively made things worse. Updated the OP with the more notable bugs I've seen or could find on the bug forum.

While we wait for, hopefully, another hotfix to un-gently caress everything, have...

:siren:A NEWWWW CARRR!*:siren:

*Caution: will not be held responsible for flips, tricks, and crashes.

3/10 not enough rockets

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spookydonut posted:

3/10 not enough rockets

If it helps, I'm thinking about adding a Warhead to the rocket booster, timed to detonate when the fuel runs dry once the ignition is triggered.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Prawned posted:

Been playing spergineers for many moons now so bugs is fine, but finding your base exploded every 2-3 days is kinda unplayable. If, broadly speaking, the game plays well and your poo poo stays in place I'll be pretty happy.

Whoa. I never had this happen to me. I guess I'm just lucky

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

TTerrible posted:

Please don't assume anything in Star Citizen has a design document or is not a quick placeholder hackjob. The "game" is the most broken poo poo ever squeezed out.

Wrong. It's an amazingly designed and organized con-job. ;)

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Derek Smart says that the SC MP code and such relevant things don't actually work the same as Space Engineers or other games attempting to do the same thing.

Last I heard from him, the ships in SC use a multi grid system, so the interior objects and players are supposedly not actually subject to anything outside the ship itself. Think of a mobile, standalone level, sort of.

This information is dated by a few months, so take from it what you will.

Edit: Apparently this might be wrong. I will read more on it.

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 20, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spookydonut posted:

3/10 not enough rockets

You know what? You want rockets? I'll give ya rockets!

I mounted a Hawk's Overboosters onto an Ant.

Ignition!

:jeb:

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You know what? You want rockets? I'll give ya rockets!

I mounted a Hawk's Overboosters onto an Ant.

Ignition!

:jeb:

7/10, rockets only doubled the size of the vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timn
Mar 16, 2010
This game looks incredible with the planets. How is the progression loop/goal-setting in survival mode? Can you start with not much but the spacesuit on your back and work your way up, exploring to find new resources and inventing vehicles to help you do things better? Or is it still more of a glorified creative mode with resource constraints right now?

• Locked thread